• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glen Schofield no too keen on Dead Space remake, Callisto Protocol sequel likely already in the works

Bartski

Gold Member

About the future of Callisto Protocol:
“I want to make a sequel,” he admits. “This is a complete game, but there’s a lot of ideas, cool ideas, we want to do next. I always want to keep making the next big thing. Even after I finish a game, I’m already thinking what’s next.”

About Dead Space remake:
“I wish them the absolute best,” he begins, “but I don’t really know anything about it. I don’t really want to know anything about it. They have extremely talented people over there, but…” Schofield pauses. “Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn’t remake it. I am glad for them, but I wouldn’t. I want to move on and make something new. Dead Space is in my past.”

Also commented on the shitstorm after his infamous tweet on crunch:
“I can tell you this, I’m going to make sure that’s not a thing that happens in our next project or any future project,” he explains. “This one was on me.”

Last edited:
Jimmy Fallon No Difference GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

bender

What time is it?
I'd say he's earned it. Dead Space was ahead of its' time and is up there with the all time survival horror greats so he allowed to have him have a chip on his shoulder.

Ahead of its' time referring to how they implemented the "HUD"?

Fucking hell. Dude is just remaking his own game anyway. A real RE4/Evil Within situation.

vc1etES.jpg
ouQpo6s.jpg

However it's not the same because film is a better medium and he didn't remake his own film out of spite and a lack of talent. It just popped in my head.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ahead of its' time referring to how they implemented the "HUD"?
And in my opinion it did “one take” camera better than God of War even on limited system. God of War‘s whole “one take” was mostly applied on its cinematics not actual gameplay, because compare to its previous games the new game is has more RPG with bigger world, so player have to go menus to equip gears and look at the map which basically breaks entire “one take”.

Meanwhile in Dead Space it never breaks that when you go to your inventory or checking out the map thanks to how they implemented the HUD, the only time the camera cuts when it loads and that mostly because of the imitation of the system it was on.

Arachnid

I don't really see ego up there. EA super fucked up on Dead Space and visceral. Now that horror games are coming back big, they want to cash in on the game he put his heart and soul into. Dude probably gets the most credit of anyone on that team for DS, and now they're just remaking his game after they killed the series and team.

Calisto is probably gonna be an evolution of what he created. Previews are dropping and peoples impressions are great so far.

bender

What time is it?
And in my opinion it did “one take” camera better than God of War even on limited system. God of War‘s whole “one take” was mostly applied on its cinematics not actual gameplay, because compare to its previous games the new game is has more RPG with bigger world, so player have to go menus to equip gears and look at the map which basically breaks entire “one take”.

Meanwhile in Dead Space it never breaks that when you go to your inventory or checking out the map thanks to how they implemented the HUD, the only time the camera cuts when it loads and that mostly because of the imitation of the system it was on.

It was certainly a neat implementation. I was struggling to think what else about Dead Space could be "ahead of its' time".

I don't really see ego up there. EA super fucked up on Dead Space and visceral. Now that horror games are coming back big, they want to cash in on the game he put his heart and soul into. Dude probably gets the most credit of anyone on that team for DS, and now they're just remaking his game after they killed the series and team.

Calisto is probably gonna be an evolution of what he created. Previews are dropping and peoples impressions are great so far.

And EA will fuck up again if the remake has any type of success by forcing too many sequels too quickly or trying to have the development team insert the industry trends du jour into those sequels.

I feel like he's kind of biased, he wants people to be more excited for the game he's making as opposed to a game he's not (even if he made the original that's being remade). I'm amped for Calisto Protocol but I'm also amped for the new Dead Space (as you may be able to guess by my avatar)

fart town usa

Gold Member
What was his infamous tweet again?
Praising the studio for working long hours to get the game ready for launch.

Twitter attacked and accused him of the crunch.

OT, I'm definitely gonna play it at some point. I worry about the story though. The story in Dead Space blows for the most part. First was the best but they proceeded to jump the shark from there on out. DS3 is straight up painful. It's RE6 level dumb in terms of narrative.

I feel like Callisto Protocol is going to do the same.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Praising the studio for working long hours to get the game ready for launch.

Twitter attacked and accused him of the crunch.

OT, I'm definitely gonna play it at some point. I worry about the story though. The story in Dead Space blows for the most part. First was the best but they proceeded to jump the shark from there on out. DS3 is straight up painful. It's RE6 level dumb in terms of narrative.

I feel like Callisto Protocol is going to do the same.
Every IP is guilty of lore/story bloat/ridicule as the sequels go by, unless the campaign setting changes as the entries come and go.

dDoc

Too much gore for the Jap authority?

If its cause of this sort of mentality its kinda weird. Let adults choose to watch/plat what they want. Too many restrictions.

tommib

Too much gore for the Jap authority?

If it’s cause of this sort of mentality it’s kinda weird. Let adults choose to watch/plat what they want. Too many restrictions.
They always had toned down Biohazard versions. This goes back to the 90s. It’s what it is.

MarkyG

They always had toned down Biohazard versions. This goes back to the 90s. It’s what it is.
All except the original. It's nasty gory compared to the other regions. I think it's the only version of Biohazard that has the gory end credit death scenes too. How times have changed.

tommib

All except the original. It's nasty gory compared to the other regions. I think it's the only version of Biohazard that has the gory end credit death scenes too. How times have changed.
It was a reaction to this I think:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_child_murders

After the murders, Japanese politician Shizuka Kamei called for restricting objectionable content, stating, "Movies lacking any literary or educational merit made for just showing cruel scenes... Adults should be blamed for this", and that "[the incident] gives adults the chance to rethink the policy of self-imposed restrictions on these films and whether they should allow them just because they are profitable."[6]

Last edited:
Remaking anything from PS360 or even newer seems pointless to me. Remaster it for a new generation (of people) and use ressources for either new games or remasters of games that were developed in PS2 era and earlier. Dead Space, especially the PC version, looks still fine.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Remaking anything from PS360 or even newer seems pointless to me. Remaster it for a new generation (of people) and use ressources for either new games or remasters of games that were developed in PS2 era and earlier. Dead Space, especially the PC version, looks still fine.
Demon's Souls says hi.

Demon's Souls says hi.
Hi!

exactly one project that did bind a lot of devs which could have made Bloodborne2 or this gen's Sony-exclusive new soulslike instead, with just some extra months required when not rehashing something that already exists. (or a Kings Field remake/reimagining, where I could get behind the idea)

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Hi!

exactly one project that did bind a lot of devs which could have made Bloodborne2 or this gen's Sony-exclusive new soulslike instead, with just some extra months required when not rehashing something that already exists.
I thought people didn't want Bluepoint to make Bloodborne 2 ...

MiguelItUp

Yeah, that was my impression too, didn't feel egotistical at all. Dead Space was huge for him and that team, it was also a huge and inspirational game. But EA fucked it all up, and did Visceral dirty in several ways.

I pretty much looked at Callisto as Glen giving EA the finger and doing his OWN Dead Space, and it being successful too, if not more so.

I know it looks a lot like Dead Space for a variety of reasons, but it's still a new IP, and that's awesome. I want to see more horror-centric IPs that are new, big budget, and great looking.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Don't know why he's even giving time to the crunch question.

No game worth a damn has ever been created without a bit of crunch. That applies for most things in life in fact. It's the business.
Right.

Bitches acting like they've never heard of 4th quarter. GTFOH. lol.

Top Bottom