• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girlfriend Reviews - Redditor on Last of Us 2 subreddit sent death threats to himself and blamed us.

like who the hell are these people that go to such lengths to hate a videogame this much? i cant fathom someone hating a fucking videogame this much! its a damn videogame! its not even real!

maybe im expecting too much from a world where even soap actors are abused for the characters they portray! are people really this fucking stupid? they might aswell be braindead zombies because they sure as hell dont use their brains.

Last edited:

Forsythia

They actually lost a lot of viewers over that TLOU II video. They were getting around 1 to 1.5 million viewers per video and now they're getting around 600 to 700k. Brutal.
I don't know if it's because they like the game, or that they were a bit pretentious with it, "you just don't understand the story" kind of thing. All their previous videos were kinda silly fun, but not with TLoU2. It ruined the channel a bit for me.

SLB1904

Banned
bfOreCb.jpg
aNaI7xB.jpg
Sj4CBfx.jpg
hV78gbY.jpg
RG0RCUr.jpg

Alright let's find another narrative.

The last of us 2 haters are scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

As you can see nothing change on their viewship. The other videos has less views because none of them has the same caliber as red dead cp77 gow or tlous.

CAB_Life

Reddit is tied with Twitter and TikTok for the most garbage social media app. I honestly don’t know how to fix the issues with social media other than completely ceasing the use of these programs. I deleted Twitter 3 years ago now? Maybe 4? Reddit was around the same time and I’ll never touch TikTok, not even for a reaction video or anything. I can’t imagine my (poor state of) mental health if I still engaged with any major social media platform.

subsmoke

How do you guys make this up?
Shit is embarrassing at this point

Make what up? All I did was look at their Youtube channel. Their videos from before the TLOU II one have several hundred thousand more views on average. Keep in mind I have no idea who these people are and I have no strong opinions either way about TLOU II. I was just making an observation.

SLB1904

Banned
Make what up? All I did was look at their Youtube channel. Their videos from before the TLOU II one have several hundred thousand more views on average. Keep in mind I have no idea who these people are and I have no strong opinions either way about TLOU II. I was just making an observation.
You didn't look properly of course.
And over a year old videos will have more views than recent ones. Shocked

oneran

They actually lost a lot of viewers over that TLOU II video. They were getting around 1 to 1.5 million viewers per video and now they're getting around 600 to 700k. Brutal.

I don't don't post here an awful lot, but i typically watch their videos whenever they come up in my recommendations.
So I was a bit curious, and it looks like most of the decline happens over the last 4 months.

They still typically got around 1M views well after that TLOU II video, especially when they reviewed a larger game.

CP04Eiy.png

While that TLOU II video may have had some impact, I doubt these reddit users are that influential or numerous.
I think their content is still very well written and edited, but has just gotten predictable to a lot of people.

JumpMan1981

Banned
I don't know if it's because they like the game, or that they were a bit pretentious with it, "you just don't understand the story" kind of thing. All their previous videos were kinda silly fun, but not with TLoU2. It ruined the channel a bit for me.
I remember thinking their TLoU2 review was poor and they also did a second video about the game that was kind of a "if you didn't like it you just didn't understand it" thing?

For sure, I just didn't bother with them after that.

Funny how a lot of the popular YouTube gaming people end up losing their appeal over some AAA game.
Skill Up and Yong Yea totally lost me after Cyberpunk 2077.

I dont care if you like it or not but you've concocted some fantasy narrative in your head about what the game is about. Too much listening to Youtube, not enough playing games for yourself
I had several friends who played the game at launch, kept themselves completely in the dark when it comes to the game's plot, and walked away hating the experience for largely the same reasons that I never want to play it. I also had some friends who liked the game. It's a genuinely polarizing experience. I can accept that there isn't a "wrong" opinion you can have about this game, but it doesn't seem like you're willing to extend that same understanding.

Either way, your insistence of "no, you just don't understand" goes right along with the condescending arguments of everyone else who can't stand the idea that many people didn't like this game. And for that matter, it also goes right along with those who can't stand the idea that some people loved this game. Personally I find both groups to be a little shortsighted.

Jaysen

Banned
If people were turned off, they would have unsubscribed. Yet their subs have jumped a few hundred thousand since that review.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
People that get this excited over a computer game are genuinely pathetically tragic. I understand that fans of the franchise were disappointed with how certain characters were played out, but get over it and move on you petulant children!

pathetic rowan atkinson GIF

Yawn

Everybody can see how transparently the criticism of TLOU2 "evolved" from the same crowd of people. It was all about politics, Abby being muscular and Ellie being gay at first and that was before the game came out.

Only after it came out did this crowd start appending weak criticisms from the actual product. And its always the same tired "Joel wouldn't act like that" and "Ellie not killing Abby makes no sense" which is the great analysis you'd expect of somebody watching 15 minutes of YouTube clips at the start and end of the game
I'm not gonna get into another discussion on whether or not TLOU2 is a great game, but I will say you are being equally disingenuous by handwaving all valid criticism of the game by labeling the same "crowd" with those freaks in the subreddit.

There are plenty of valid criticisms of the game's story and pacing that I have seen from people who FULLY played all the way through. Just like there are plenty of valid reasons to like the game. It's a very polarizing game, so I believe both sides have worthwhile things to say.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Who cares about views, what's more important is who watches that crap?
All parties involved in this drama are just equally as shitty.
What parties? A sub-reddit vs two people? GR should have just ignored the whole thing, never feed the trolls.

MrS

Banned
I feel sorry for them to be the victims of some bored trolls. Hopefully won't affect their work in the future.
Hopefully this will inspire them to make some good content instead of the fuckin dross they've been serving up for the last 2 years.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
jesus i thought you were wrong but i just checked and its true. they used to routinely get 2 million views. now they are lucky to get a million.

gamers are fucking insane. the channel is still the same.

ryan13ts

That particular /r has been a trashpile of incels and bigots for a good while now, so it hardly surprises me to hear about something like this, though it still sucks.

It takes an exceptional type of garbage to send death threats to yourself just to smear another person, because you didn't like their opinion..... about a fucking video game. Christ.

EruditeHobo

\well, if one of the reasons you play a game is to identify with the characters, including the main one, and during play the game takes some turns you don't like/are uncomfortable with, is it ok to feel uncomfortable about it?

edit: my mistake, you weren't the person that brought up moral repugnancy.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with "moral repugnancy", from which you took a hard left turn toward "gay people" for some reason?

So what you are talking about is obviously still not clear.

the player's reaction to a set of events in the story. is that clear? and i never mentioned the phrase "moral repugnancy".

What does this have to do with a story choice or character decision being morally repugnant?

it's about the player's reaction to what happens in the game, again. and again, i never mentioned the phrase "moral repugnancy".

EruditeHobo

the player's reaction to a set of events in the story. is that clear? and i never mentioned the phrase "moral repugnancy".

I just figured that out and edited. My bad.

Which set of events are you talking about? Are you saying you have a problem with Ellie being gay, and kissing a woman, hooking up with her in the story? I literally don't understand why you brought up gay people, but that's all I can really hone in on that's specific to TLOU2.

I'm not sure what you're saying is that clear considering the reaction to your posts. People get upset by lots of things. It's a specific story about specific characters. Maybe people were upset by Ellie reveal in the original DLC... either way, I'm not sure such a reaction is worthy of much of a defense at all.

Last edited:
I just figured that out and edited. My bad.

Which set of events are you talking about? Are you saying you have a problem with Ellie being gay, and kissing a woman, hooking up with her in the story? I literally don't understand why you brought up gay people, but that's all I can really hone in on that's specific to TLOU2.

I'm not sure what you're saying is that clear considering the reaction to your posts. People get upset by lots of things. It's a specific story about specific characters. Maybe people were upset by Ellie reveal in the original DLC... either way, I'm not sure such a reaction is worthy of much of a defense at all.

i've never played either of them, but from what i see it doesn't seem to me that people cared that much about who was gay or not. it does seem that there were players who didn't like some of the events that occurred in the story. that's all i'm commenting on.

Alan Wake

Saw this just now and wow, what a crazy story.

Summary:
GF Reviews made two videos on TLOU2 last year, both positive and have seen their fanbase revolt against them simply for liking a video game. It's gotten to a point where they consistently get death threats and are constantly harrassed by the Last of Us 2 subreddit.

Recently, GF Reviews tweeted out two death threats/mean tweets that were posted on that subreddit, and one of those users emailed GF Reviews saying that their fanbase is now sending HIM death threats. GF Reviews did some investigation and found that the user used his own fake accounts to send himself death threats, and he ended up deleting all his email accounts, reddit accounts and even his own Google App developer page.

GF reviews outs him on the subreddit, but this time the mods turn on them, and accuse them of making up the whole thing. They are harrassed even more and the cycle continues. Now worse than ever.

Full video here: Must watch IMO.

My Thoughts? I did not 'get' the last of us 2. I thought their 'Understanding the Last of us Part 2' video was excellent and helped me finally understand what Druckman was trying to do with the story. I still dont like the story, I do not care for Abby, and I have grown to dislike even the gameplay since last year. However, this kind of harassment is exactly what we hate about cancel culture. People are allowed to like or dislike TLOU2. It's not the worst game in the world. As someone who has grown to dislike this game, I hate that these are the kind of nutjobs I am aligning myself with. And no, as they pointed out, it's not just one nutjob. The entire subreddit including the mods on that subreddit are that hostile.

Word. TLOU2 was the biggest disappointment of the last decade for me. But it's still just a game, and seeing people going crazy like this is just... tragic.

Top Bottom