• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girlfriend Reviews - Redditor on Last of Us 2 subreddit sent death threats to himself and blamed us.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
I didn't know GFR before, but I found the story interesting and watched the video. They seem to be reasonable people, who think themselves, reflect situations, can express themselves and have no reason to want to harm anyone. Unlike, and I've been around long enough on the internet and in forums, certain communities - toxic communities.
I don't know why some users need to get others down and invest so much time and effort in this endeavor, but over time the thought has spread that it must be due to their own dissatisfaction and they try to drag obviously satisfied and successful fellow human beings into their hole with them; either out of envy or to gain the recognition of others who are dissatisfied. In both cases it is a silly and sad behavior, which is made quite easy by the anonymous internet.
I'm not a friend of extremes anymore, I don't want to deal with bad moods in my free time, triggered by strangers giving stupid shit, that's too stupid for me and my time is too precious for that - and I think it's like that for most people out there. It's a pity that this dissatisfaction is unloaded on innocent people, just because they have a different point of view on a free time topic (we're talking about videogames here - video games are not that *important*).
Immature and just plain stupid posts, even here in this thread, you just have to know how to ignore. It took me over a decade to learn when it's worth discussing and when you should just let it go. I hope, also for the well-being of many online communities and general togetherness, that those who aren't too bothered about such crap will someday jump over their shadows and know how to enjoy their lives, so they don't think it's necessary to get on other people's nerves like that anymore. BTW - I'm not a hippie, even if this post reads like written by one.

TLDR: I get GFR, gtfo trolls - not worth it.

This basically. You see this happening IRL often. Some friends are just toxic, their lives are miserable and they need to drag down everything and everybody around them to feel better.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
"Hey dude, I'm from the future. I see youre playing a classic game of Donkey Kong"

"Ya, I am. Great game"

"Do you know what happens in the future when someone doesn't like a game like DK?"

"They dont waste their time watching me play it?"

"No. Everyone rags on each other, people fake suicide threats for pity points, and the creator of the game publicly bickers back at gamers"

"When does this happen?"

"About 35 years from now"

"Great. I'll be done gaming by then"

Dude

Donkey kong is imperialist. Mario represent the white European cis man raping of Africa.

Basically the guy playing DK should feel bad about himself. He supported the patriarchy.

Also, wasn't Kong naked? He was clearly sexualised and male gazed’.

xBlueStonex

Yawn

Everybody can see how transparently the criticism of TLOU2 "evolved" from the same crowd of people. It was all about politics, Abby being muscular and Ellie being gay at first and that was before the game came out.

Only after it came out did this crowd start appending weak criticisms from the actual product. And its always the same tired "Joel wouldn't act like that" and "Ellie not killing Abby makes no sense" which is the great analysis you'd expect of somebody watching 15 minutes of YouTube clips at the start and end of the game

The whole notion that you can lump all TLOU2 criticism into a single movement is hilariously ignorant (once again proving my point) and flat-out wrong. If you would just spend 10 minutes actually doing some research, you would find numerous critiques of the game that are full of brilliant analysis and insight that have absolutely nothing to do with anything you just mentioned.

MiguelItUp

A lot of game related subreddits are toxic AF, it's bizarre to me. People love a game so much that they follow a subreddit. But instead of praising said game, they just bash the hell out of it. Then when people love it, they bash them too. If you hate something, why even bother going to the subreddit anyway?

I followed the Chivalry 2 subreddit and then left because the toxicity is damn retarded. If you mention you love or enjoy the game, you're called a simp or a shill, and then those folks downvote you to the netherrealm.

rkofan87

Gold Member
The whole notion that you can lump all TLOU2 criticism into a single movement is hilariously ignorant (once again proving my point) and flat-out wrong. If you would just spend 10 minutes actually doing some research, you would find numerous critiques of the game that are full of brilliant analysis and insight that have absolutely nothing to do with anything you just mentioned.
this.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly, it often lures people who are rejected from society for these types of behaviors and enjoy gaming as escapism from their true selves.
Being a reject used to be something. Now it's this.

Vaelka

A lot of game related subreddits are toxic AF, it's bizarre to me. People love a game so much that they follow a subreddit. But instead of praising said game, they just bash the hell out of it. Then when people love it, they bash them too. If you hate something, why even bother going to the subreddit anyway?

I followed the Chivalry 2 subreddit and then left because the toxicity is damn retarded. If you mention you love or enjoy the game, you're called a simp or a shill, and then those folks downvote you to the netherrealm.

What bothers me the most is what a huge circlejerk and echo chamber they are and I think it's all because of the karma system.

And everyone acts like they're holier than thou and above '' unimportant '' things and then in the next second they have a mental breakdown about something minor.
Like good luck talking about anything having to do with censorship especially if it's in regards to sexualized content, you'll get downvoted and mocked into oblivion by people who then complain about said content in the next thread that supposedly '' doesn't matter '' and throw tantrums about minor things.
You're basically not allowed to talk about things or have opinion about things unless it's part of the established circlejerk.

Even in threads that literally say '' what is your opinion on the announced character? '' when a DLC character announced, unless it's an attractive female character because that per usual is okay to complain about.
People will downvote you to hell for even just saying that you're disappointed.
You can even go out of your way to say that you're happy for people who are excited and understand why people like the character, just the mere fact that you're not part of the bandwagon gets you downvoted.

Like what the fuck is the point of asking then?
People just downvote for mere differences of opinions and it creates this fear amongst people of actual having real opinions about anything.

Last edited:
Reddit is a badnews website. It's a place to go if you want to be depressed and not do anything about being depressed.

The Office Lie GIF

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I never seen a bunch of over emotional gamers before in my life. The fact that this is still happening over a year later just goes to show you what's mentally wrong with a lot of people in this gaming community.
...while its true we also should consider that many people simply don't visit reddit, twitter, forums or even YouTube to talk about video games. A lot of people are quiet listeners/watchers or simply aren't that invested. They just play the game, maybe talk about it in their private environment and leave it at that.

And I agree if you have "her" by the end of the game, you are a fucking heartless monster and the game did not got through to you.
I wasn't aware that there were any choices that could be made by the player in this game, which as I understand it is one of the main complaints. That it's an emotionally manipulative experience that doesn't provide the player with agency, and forces the player to do things that they find reprehensible.

If you have who? Have someone in your party? If you want to explain this with a spoiler tag, I'd appreciate it.

Yoboman

I wasn't aware that there were any choices that could be made by the player in this game, which as I understand it is one of the main complaints. That it's an emotionally manipulative experience that doesn't provide the player with agency, and forces the player to do things that they find reprehensible.

If you have who? Have someone in your party? If you want to explain this with a spoiler tag, I'd appreciate it.
Jesus now games that tell a story without choices are emotional manipulation?

You must hate books and movies and comics and 90% of single player games the past few decades

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I unironically laughed at the featured cuck post in the video. I don't give a fuck about betas or alphas, I just find humor in the entire thing.

Girlfriend Reviews are pretty well read, friendly people. May play it a bit safe, but they didn't deserve an attempt on their livelihood by salt miners. Part of why I hate cancel culture though is expressed in the sentiment that they could face backlash for something that (unjustly in this case) their fan base did, though. Like...Chapman was a fan of The Beatles before he gunned Lennon down, that doesn't make Yesterday an incitement of murder.

But on the other hand, GR does seem to play this up a bit. I noticed like six seconds after they mentioned the troll with 1,000 accounts offered proceeds to a Polish animal center, their cat mysteriously appeared in the chick's lap, almost to indicate "yeah, he likes animals, but so do we, and we don't send ourselves death threats. Winners!"

Like, this entire thing could have been either ignored, handled privately, or done with a tweet. The big production makes it seem like clickbait for drama views and omg ur such wondrful peoples! Reactions. I don't know. Gaming culture started losing me when it became less about the games and the devs and more about influencers and insiders.
Thats social media for ya, and people who rely on YT and Twitter accounts to make a living. You always got to be in the spotlight.

If the people handling McDonalds social media accounts around the world get pissy comments or trolls looking for laughs, theyll either ignore them or delete/block their comments. Life goes on.

You're not going to get Bob in Texas handling USA McDonald's accounts and Lee in China handing Chinese accounts getting into bickering matches on YT or Reddit fighting back with angry customers or trollers.

Yet in gaming, you got this National Geographic circle of life between deer, lions, vultures, and human hunters all getting into it to see which asshole comes out with the most clicks and crown themselves social media winner.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I find this surreal, people are so invested into hating something they didnt like that they become this weird?

Personally I didn't like the game, its story and characters didn't speak to me and I found it way too long. But I dropped it and moved on, the game hasnt been in my mind since.

These people need help

Uh, what? Dude's a beta male that calls other dudes betas. It's funny for the memes, that's about it.

The man is a fucking nutjob. He hates gays, people of other religions, people from other countries, women, and said one of the biggest mistakes the US has made is allowing women to vote. Literally everything he says is just meant to get clicks. Also he's a pastor and tells people what god says.
Oh well, I had a more surface level view of the guy... But given what it takes these days to label someone that way, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
No, because most games that don't provide player choice don't require players to do things they feel are morally repugnant.
You are essentially playing the vision of several artists. It's their game so they can put anything they want in those games.

Morally repugnant like what?

You sound like a housewife dropped out of 2005 crying about the morality of Grand Theft Auto on TV

ok so finally the elephant in the room. is it ok for gay people to be uncomfortable watching straight people bump uglies? and is it ok for the opposite? does being uncomfortable watching that mean there is something wrong with you?

Yoboman

ok so finally the elephant in the room. is it ok for gay people to be uncomfortable watching straight people bump uglies? and is it ok for the opposite? does being uncomfortable watching that mean there is something wrong with you?
Not sure what you are referring to

Not sure what you are referring to
well, if one of the reasons you play a game is to identify with the characters, including the main one, and during play the game takes some turns you don't like/are uncomfortable with, is it ok to feel uncomfortable about it?

I like Girl Friend Review. they done some great humorous videos and made me laugh pretty consistently. even thou I don't totally agree with some of their points on TLOU2, I can see where they're coming from and I don't mind it. them getting drag into this bullshit is just too bad. Matt and Shelby seem like such a lovely couple and the fact that they need to make this video alone tells you how bad the bullshit is getting. I hope this is over and behind them soon and they can get back to making more funny and silly videos.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
As somebody who hates TLOU2 with a passion - it's clear that TLOU2 apologists (such as yourself) ignore the valid criticism against the game. The argument of, "I don't get why people hate this game," just shows you haven't taken the time to listen to the other side of the debate. Which is fine, if you wish to be ignorant. The whole strawman of, "Oh they just hate it because Abby has muscles and Ellie is gay!!!!", is tired at this point. Please do your research.

That being said, no video game should ever generate death threats. I have no ill will towards anybody who enjoyed the game (more power to you), I just personally won't be buying another Naughty Dog game. That's as far as it should go.

Just because you believe the criticism is valid, that doesn't mean it actually is. People criticize the ending because they think it's pointless, but that doesn't mean that it actually is. Valid criticism is that someone might not like this game because of how violent it is or who they make you play as.

When someone says they can't understand why someone would hate this game with a passion, that doesn't mean they don't understand how someone can dislike this game. It's like someone telling someone, "I don't see how you can eat that" when they're literally eating the thing right in front of their face. So it's not about how they can't see why someone would hate it, but rather how someone could let themselves get this angry over a video game based on fictional characters.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Hate. Not have. Sorry a smartphone typo.
If you hate Abby still by the end of the game is what I meant

Top Bottom