• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girlfriend Reviews - Redditor on Last of Us 2 subreddit sent death threats to himself and blamed us.

so they didn't like the character development that took place through the course of the game?
Pretty much, I would say a good 95% of that sub loved Joel as a character. Considering what happens in the game, yeah they weren't too happy about people defending the story. I will say, I never seen them hate on people like they did on GF reviews. But that may been something that happen before I joined.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Imagine going back in time to 1985 and explaining this to some guy playing Donkey Kong in the back of a convenience store.
"Hey dude, I'm from the future. I see youre playing a classic game of Donkey Kong"

"Ya, I am. Great game"

"Do you know what happens in the future when someone doesn't like a game like DK?"

"They dont waste their time watching me play it?"

"No. Everyone rags on each other, people fake suicide threats for pity points, and the creator of the game publicly bickers back at gamers"

"When does this happen?"

"About 35 years from now"

"Great. I'll be done gaming by then"

Venom Snake

Gold Member
qb62u5.jpg

o0cbx1.jpg

sych1v.jpg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I unironically laughed at the featured cuck post in the video. I don't give a fuck about betas or alphas, I just find humor in the entire thing.

Girlfriend Reviews are pretty well read, friendly people. May play it a bit safe, but they didn't deserve an attempt on their livelihood by salt miners. Part of why I hate cancel culture though is expressed in the sentiment that they could face backlash for something that (unjustly in this case) their fan base did, though. Like...Chapman was a fan of The Beatles before he gunned Lennon down, that doesn't make Yesterday an incitement of murder.

But on the other hand, GR does seem to play this up a bit. I noticed like six seconds after they mentioned the troll with 1,000 accounts offered proceeds to a Polish animal center, their cat mysteriously appeared in the chick's lap, almost to indicate "yeah, he likes animals, but so do we, and we don't send ourselves death threats. Winners!"

Like, this entire thing could have been either ignored, handled privately, or done with a tweet. The big production makes it seem like clickbait for drama views and omg ur such wondrful peoples! Reactions. I don't know. Gaming culture started losing me when it became less about the games and the devs and more about influencers and insiders.

Jaysen

Banned
just one side?
There’s GFR, the polish idiot, the moron here happy about his “cuck” post, and the sub Reddit who decided they hated a game before it even released. Multiple sides, sure, but go ahead and try your best to claim they’re all equal.

Yoboman

> don't realize the game is fiction and the characters don't exists

Hear this over and over again, even from Druckmann.

Then kill Superman, Spiderman off in the first act, and introduce your woke character, and see how the fans react.

Would you say: But, but, but Superman and Spiderman are fictitious characters and it's a factious story!!!

It's like, how dare we have hero's. How dare we! You must adapt to the current wokeness, or you're just too caught up in our fictitious entrainment.

Look everyone, it's not REAL!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Nothing new here, as look how fans reacted when Sherlock Holmes was killed off by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. He was forced to bring him back. All that happened over 100 years ago!

btw, don't agree with threats over this, but nothing wrong with caring about fictitious characters.
Its not a super hero story, it's a world depicted as brutal and unforgiving. Killing Joel is more analogous to killing Ned Stark in Game of Thrones

Also Superman dying in act one of the Death of Superman is one of the favourite Superman stories of all time.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
The fact someone went that far just shows how fucking sad people can get. He needs to up his depression meds

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
so it's about 'that' scene in the game?
Pretty much. A lot of the people criticizing the game come off as the biggest assholes honestly. There is some legit critique out there too, but its buried under sheer endless posts about Abby looking like a transexual, blabla politics and Joel dying early on in the game.

Yoboman

so it's about 'that' scene in the game?
No its more like leaks of the game came out and certain outrage YouTube flared up the click bait in completely inaccurate ways that still stick. Eg they claimed that Abby was trans - not true. Druckmann self inserted in the game to kill Joel - not true. How political the game is - not true.

Yoboman

California Studio here.

What character should we have for our game.

A strong white male lead, with some light romance towards different attractive females.

WHAT???

Show that guy that door. What an offense!

No, we must appeal to game reviewers and progressive thinking fans.

Ok, how about a dark skinned male, and all the evil enemies are cis white. This would be reparations against the last 200 years of systematic racism.

Not bad.

A dark skinned female who's gay, and trans (who wants to be identified as a man), and has a gay relationship with another black male, and will have lots of "behind" sex. And of course all evil characters/enemies will be white males.

Great! Let's get to work.

Remember, all females, have to looks like boys. No long hair, no makeup, no wide hips or narrow waists, and no dresses! No point, in making trans (males who transitioned to female, without any surgery) feel uncomfortable playing our game.

Should win lots of awards, and help transition society in the image we wish to create for it. This is more than a game for us, it's a statement, an ideology. Propaganda!
What are you talking about?

California Studio here.

What character should we have for our game.

A strong white male lead, with some light romance towards different attractive females.

WHAT???

Show that guy that door. What an offense!

No, we must appeal to game reviewers and progressive thinking fans.

Ok, how about a dark skinned male, and all the evil enemies are cis white. This would be reparations against the last 200 years of systematic racism.

Not bad.

A dark skinned female who's gay, and trans (who wants to be identified as a man), and has a gay relationship with another black male, and will have lots of "behind" sex. And of course all evil characters/enemies will be white males.

Great! Let's get to work.

Remember, all females, have to looks like boys. No long hair, no makeup, no wide hips or narrow waists, and no dresses! No point, in making trans (males who transitioned to female, without any surgery) feel uncomfortable playing our game.

Should win lots of awards, and help transition society in the image we wish to create for it. This is more than a game for us, it's a statement, an ideology. Propaganda!

denzel washington cringe GIF

Like I said, anti-SJWs are the fucking worst.

Corndog

Banned
I just don't get why some people hate this game with such a passion. Good lord it has been a year already since it came out.

Just take the L. The game is a fantastic masterpiece that smashed all records, won countless GOTYs and even made the internal review team of Microsoft drool all over it.

Do something better with your remaining mental health before you drive yourself into insanity over this pointless hatred of a video game.
Why do they have to take an L and why should people’s opinion change just because a year went by. You liked the game. Great. Others didn’t.

rkofan87

Gold Member
As somebody who hates TLOU2 with a passion - it's clear that TLOU2 apologists (such as yourself) ignore the valid criticism against the game. The argument of, "I don't get why people hate this game," just shows you haven't taken the time to listen to the other side of the debate. Which is fine, if you wish to be ignorant. The whole strawman of, "Oh they just hate it because Abby has muscles and Ellie is gay!!!!", is tired at this point. Please do your research.

That being said, no video game should ever generate death threats. I have no ill will towards anybody who enjoyed the game (more power to you), I just personally won't be buying another Naughty Dog game. That's as far as it should go.
this 1000%

Tangerine

"it is the function of mass agitation to exploit all the grievances, hopes, aspirations, prejudices, fears, and ideals of all the special groups that make up our society, social, religious, economic, racial, political. Stir them up. Set one against the other. Divide and conquer. That’s the way to soften up a democracy."
- J. Edgar Hoover (FBI Director 1956)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Saw this just now and wow, what a crazy story.

Summary:
GF Reviews made two videos on TLOU2 last year, both positive and have seen their fanbase revolt against them simply for liking a video game. It's gotten to a point where they consistently get death threats and are constantly harrassed by the Last of Us 2 subreddit.

Recently, GF Reviews tweeted out two death threats/mean tweets that were posted on that subreddit, and one of those users emailed GF Reviews saying that their fanbase is now sending HIM death threats. GF Reviews did some investigation and found that the user used his own fake accounts to send himself death threats, and he ended up deleting all his email accounts, reddit accounts and even his own Google App developer page.

GF reviews outs him on the subreddit, but this time the mods turn on them, and accuse them of making up the whole thing. They are harrassed even more and the cycle continues. Now worse than ever.

Full video here: Must watch IMO.

My Thoughts? I did not 'get' the last of us 2. I thought their 'Understanding the Last of us Part 2' video was excellent and helped me finally understand what Druckman was trying to do with the story. I still dont like the story, I do not care for Abby, and I have grown to dislike even the gameplay since last year. However, this kind of harassment is exactly what we hate about cancel culture. People are allowed to like or dislike TLOU2. It's not the worst game in the world. As someone who has grown to dislike this game, I hate that these are the kind of nutjobs I am aligning myself with. And no, as they pointed out, it's not just one nutjob. The entire subreddit including the mods on that subreddit are that hostile.

I love their channel, one of the best out there.

Ellery

Why do they have to take an L and why should people’s opinion change just because a year went by. You liked the game. Great. Others didn’t.

Because it is still living rent free in their head. I would call that suffering. I never told them to change their opinions.

Taking an L could be beneficial.

Did you watch the video? What lengths some people went through to voice their hatred.

Doesn't seem healthy to me, but ... I guess that is also just my opinion.

"Hey dude, I'm from the future. I see youre playing a classic game of Donkey Kong"

"Ya, I am. Great game"

"Do you know what happens in the future when someone doesn't like a game like DK?"

"They dont waste their time watching me play it?"

"No. Everyone rags on each other, people fake suicide threats for pity points, and the creator of the game publicly bickers back at gamers"

"When does this happen?"

"About 35 years from now"

"Great. I'll be done gaming by then"

This is a very real exchange once we live in an age where Winston from Overwatch is clearly superior monkey future.

I will say that Overwatch's depiction of Winston's ultimate as "cliche angry monkey OMG!!!" will not age well. The horror!

Yoboman

As somebody who hates TLOU2 with a passion - it's clear that TLOU2 apologists (such as yourself) ignore the valid criticism against the game. The argument of, "I don't get why people hate this game," just shows you haven't taken the time to listen to the other side of the debate. Which is fine, if you wish to be ignorant. The whole strawman of, "Oh they just hate it because Abby has muscles and Ellie is gay!!!!", is tired at this point. Please do your research.

That being said, no video game should ever generate death threats. I have no ill will towards anybody who enjoyed the game (more power to you), I just personally won't be buying another Naughty Dog game. That's as far as it should go.
Yawn

Everybody can see how transparently the criticism of TLOU2 "evolved" from the same crowd of people. It was all about politics, Abby being muscular and Ellie being gay at first and that was before the game came out.

Only after it came out did this crowd start appending weak criticisms from the actual product. And its always the same tired "Joel wouldn't act like that" and "Ellie not killing Abby makes no sense" which is the great analysis you'd expect of somebody watching 15 minutes of YouTube clips at the start and end of the game

Top Bottom