• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girlfriend Reviews - God of War Ragnarok

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
No Way Reaction GIF by Originals

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I enjoy them usually, but this wasn't funny. Especially considering all the talk of the NPCs helping you solve puzzles, they could have done something great with that...

The best thing you can do to something you love is to roast it, and this was meh.

I enjoy them usually, but this wasn't funny. Especially considering all the talk of the NPCs helping you solve puzzles, they could have done something great with that...

The best thing you can do to something you love is to roast it, and this was meh.

Sounds like you just didn’t like the game and wanted them to trash it

Kuranghi

I can't believe anyone could have experience of just great (as opposed to masterpieces) books or cinema or TV shows and would then say the writing in Gow:R is "brilliant" or something to that effect. Its basically above average writing in the grand scheme of things. For a computer game I guess its good-very good, but maybe we should be evaluating games up against great examples of writing in other art forms (mentioned above) if its to be become actually respected as they are.

For me, the problem in GoW is cinematography, its like you're watching a documentary or you're physically standing there yourself watching a bunch of cunts chewing the scenery, bumpfing on about Norse mythology things that most people have no reference or understand of, its like bad sci-fi/fantasy. I don't feel immersed in the story, just because someone looks really sad and is talking about their dead wife doesn't mean its good writing/story, you need to make the viewer care, the characters are boring and I don't care about their plight.

The way the back forth is written sometimes is pretty unrealistic and... right no need to just be a massive downer so I'll stop here:

I'm enjoying the game and the writing is good but its the performances and the quality of capture thats brilliant more than the writing itself, thats really really important in a game, but the writing alone, if you saw it on a page without graphics is not brilliant.

TL;DR - Stop exaggerating the quality of writing in computer games when its the same level as your average 7.5/10 film.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I can't believe anyone could have experience of just great (as opposed to masterpieces) books or cinema or TV shows and would then say the writing in Gow:R is "brilliant" or something to that effect. Its basically above average writing in the grand scheme of things. For a computer game I guess its good-very good, but maybe we should be evaluating games up against great examples of writing in other art forms (mentioned above) if its to be become actually respected as they are.

For me, the problem in GoW is cinematography, its like you're watching a documentary or you're physically standing there yourself watching a bunch of cunts chewing the scenery, bumpfing on about Norse mythology things that most people have no reference or understand of, its like bad sci-fi/fantasy. I don't feel immersed in the story, just because someone looks really sad and is talking about their dead wife doesn't mean its good writing/story, you need to make the viewer care, the characters are boring and I don't care about their plight.

The way the back forth is written sometimes is pretty unrealistic and... right no need to just be a massive downer so I'll stop here:

I'm enjoying the game and the writing is good but its the performances and the quality of capture thats brilliant more than the writing itself, thats really really important in a game, but the writing alone, if you saw it on a page without graphics is not brilliant.

TL;DR - Stop exaggerating the quality of writing in computer games when its the same level as your average 7.5/10 film.
The writing in the trash Netflix produces is equally bad. Only some HBO shows have good writing. Most movies are marvel trash and GOW wins out over those movies because of its focus on character driven stories instead of the plot driven stuff we get from movies nowadays. Now granted, im sure there are great smaller indie movies with better writing but i dont expect girlfriend reviews to be watching anything other than summer blockbusters.

That said, the writing in this game was all over the place. Sometimes it was good, other times it felt like a marvel movie.

Kuranghi

The writing in the trash Netflix produces is equally bad. Only some HBO shows have good writing. Most movies are marvel trash and GOW wins out over those movies because of its focus on character driven stories instead of the plot driven stuff we get from movies nowadays. Now granted, im sure there are great smaller indie movies with better writing but i dont expect girlfriend reviews to be watching anything other than summer blockbusters.

That said, the writing in this game was all over the place. Sometimes it was good, other times it felt like a marvel movie.

100% agreed, I was referring to classic films and the best TVs shows of the last 20 years. I meant, just because right now (last few years, ie what most people are familiar with) the bar is pretty low doesn't mean we should start lauding things that are good-very good as amazing.

I suppose I should compare it with blockbusters in fairness though, since thats the target audience. I'm just grumpy after work, long day.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
100% agreed, I was referring to classic films and the best TVs shows of the last 20 years. I meant, just because right now (last few years, ie what most people are familiar with) the bar is pretty low doesn't mean we should start lauding things that are good-very good as amazing.

I suppose I should compare it with blockbusters in fairness though, since thats the target audience. I'm just grumpy after work, long day.
Finish the game and we can discuss the writing in the spoiler thread. I love the game but man I have grown to really dislike the writing on my subsequent playthroughs. A lot of marvel like quips and everyone singing kumbaya getting along like besties, and it just rubs me the wrong way. The first game felt far more reserved in comparison.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Finish the game and we can discuss the writing in the spoiler thread. I love the game but man I have grown to really dislike the writing on my subsequent playthroughs. A lot of marvel like quips and everyone singing kumbaya getting along like besties, and it just rubs me the wrong way. The first game felt far more reserved in comparison.
Marvel-esque quips infesting everything is a really sad reflection of the current crop of writers we have. I actually enjoy Marvel films (or did, anyway) but the way everything has copied the style has killed it stone dead. The lack of care in general around language is a major red flag and something that the everyday man picks up on as well (just look at the feedback re the latter season of GoT abandoning ye olde English for modern day TicTok speak). Sony don’t want to lean to hard in to the ‘common crowd’.

Last edited:
When they finally marry each other, will she have to change all of the established branding to 'wife reviews'?

I'm usually more forgiving of this for video games because of three factors:

1)Developers are usually the initial story tellers because they had some cool gameplay ideas and wrote around it. So the core of how something was made isn't the same as other forms of media, where the story normally comes first.

2)When they hire traditional writers for movies or books to write for games, they have trouble adapting to a format that revolves around gameplay and setting being a priority, especially film writers when a game is longer than 6-8 hours.

3)Compared to nearly every other artistic medium, video games have had way less time to grow than movies, books, comics, animation, etc. So there are still going to be growing pains. They have had to grow and adapt extremely fast to catch up to other mediums in terms of things like storytelling. Video games still have trouble with serialized storytelling methods like comics and animation due to dev time. Video games still have trouble with the disconnect players have between cutscenes and gameplay that doesn't exist in film. Video games still have trouble when trying to be like books because they have to account for every odd thing a player might do. That's why even in games that you could consider polished masterpieces like Red Dead Redemption 2, you'll still have things that can take you out of the experience like physics bugs, glitches, A.I. scripting not working properly, random encounters, A.I. characters not feeling lived in enough, and not the player not following a character making a mission failed screen appear.

To add on top of all of this, video game industry(including fans) still don't do a good enough job of following around directors and developers more. There are people even here who still don't even know that some of the Callisto Protocol team was very heavily involved in the Dead Space series and instead they think some random developer was simply inspired by that I.P. and decided to make their own version of it. These same people will easily go to the theater and fill seats if they see the name James Gunn as first billing.

Most game leads/directors are still considered no name unknowns unless they're outspoken or legacy acts like Kojima, Todd Howard, Miyamoto, Kamiya, Gabe Newell, or many others who helped mold the industry in the 80s and 90s. I would bet that most of this forum can't even name 5 modern dev leads/dev directors from the past decade who were instrumental in the creation of some of their favorite modern day titles 🤷‍♂️

ParaSeoul

These two always felt like industry plants and they probably are. Blew up to insane degrees in just a few months and even got invited to E3 less than a year after they made their channel. The boyfriend was an editor for some bigger Youtubers and is actually the one writing the reviews which takes away from the fact this is supposed to a non gamers backseat experience with the game.

These two always felt like industry plants and they probably are. Blew up to insane degrees in just a few months and even got invited to E3 less than a year after they made their channel. The boyfriend was an editor for some bigger Youtubers and is actually the one writing the reviews which takes away from the fact this is supposed to a non gamers backseat experience with the game.

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yeah, ever since they revealed that the boyfriend is the one who writes the scripts, it's started to feel like a farce. The girlfriend doesn't have opinions of her own.

Top Bottom