• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gigabyte confirms GeForce RTX 3060 8GB, RTX 3070 16GB and RTX 3080 20G

Given the honestly small uplift in CUDA cores on the 3070 ti/super compared to the base 3070 and the still huge core differential between the ti and 3080, NVidia really doesn't want the uprated 3070 model to nip at the heels of the base 3080 and almost match it in performance. That's a pretty drastic change compared to the Pascal line of cards (1070ti vs 1080) and Turing's own version with the 2070S vs 2080 stock. Of course it's no surprising that the short lived trend ended with Turing. The performance gains were lackluster and Ray Tracing was not yet ready for prime time and DLSS 1.0....eww. Obviously NVidia had to be "sensible" and get back into peoples good graces with big gains in performance and a much better value in performance per dollars.

ALso leaves a mid 7,000's total CUDA core count for a just zany card like the RTX 3076. Unocal themed back-plate would be optional.

Eh I mean if you have the extra 100-150 bucks that they will probably cost then sure.

Throwing an extra $150 down to guarantee my card‘s staying power for the generation (perhaps beyond) is a no-brainer. Think how long it took for us to get to where we are now with 8+ GB being standard. Now double that. This card supports ray tracing and DLSS. VR May be the only thing a 3070 Super/Ti wouldnt absolutely crush.

The rest of this post isn’t really in response to you but more of a thought dump for anyone thinking through a GPU purchase anytime soon.

It’s not likely consoles will get that much more powerful this generation. 8K TVs are a pipe dream at this point and their value is questionable. These GPUs are at parity or better than whatever is in the PS5 and XSX, and the generation hasn’t even started yet. There is no big paradigm shift on the horizon like 4K in 2014, and even if there was I don’t see doubling 16 to get to 32GB of RAM in the near future.

3070 speed with 16GB of DDR6 won’t be cheap but the value is there for sure. Anyone who is willing to pay a premium once Nvidia releases this will be rewarded for years to come. Those buying an 8GB card in 2020 will be disappointed and rightfully so. The base 1070 came standard with 8GB over 4 years ago - that was a great purchase then and the 16GB 3070 will be a great one now.

Yes everyone, please wait and don’t try to buy the 3090 next week! Especially the scalpers, stay away! No one wants a 3090 so there’s no point in scalping them! Everyone will buy the 20 GB version of 3080 instead! Nobody buy the 3090 next week!

nemiroff

Gold Member
Looks like I'm waiting and not getting the 3090 if this shit is true

Yeah I was going for the 3090 but I just ordered a MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio (one of if not the most silent 3080) (shipping October) as a backup plan in case the perplexingly small 3080<->3090 performance gap gets confirmed by the official reviews in a couple of days.

Yeah I was going for the 3090 but I just ordered a MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio (one of if not the most silent 3080) (shipping October) as a backup plan in case the perplexingly small 3080<->3090 performance gap gets confirmed by the official reviews in a couple of days.

Yeah ill probably be doing the same if the performance is closer. Hell if that 3080 20gb thats rumored is true then im solid with that lol

Top Bottom