• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gigabyte AORUS FV43U High framerate gamers: How do you guys tolerate smearing/ghosting? OLED has spoiled me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I currently own a Geforce 2080 Ti, but I have been wanting to upgrade to the 3000 series ONLY because the 3000 series supports HDMI 2.1, which allows 4K/120 Hz and 10-bit HDR colors. That would enable me to hook it up to my LG C9 HDMI 2.1 OLED. Needless to say upgrading to the 3000 series just ain't happening. With all the price gauging, it simply makes no sense.

However, I recently discovered that Turing supports Display Stream Compression, which enables 4K/144 Hz at 10-bit with apparently no loss of quality. Very few monitors currently support this feature, which is a damn shame since its an AMAZING feature.

With that in mind, instead of trying to get a 3000 series GPU to pair up with my TV, I decided to get a DSC supporting monitor. Ahigh quality monitor can often last many times longer than a GPU so it seemed like a better investment. I chose the Gigabyte AORUS FV43U based on this video

This monitor has it all on paper:
Display HDR 1000
2 x HDMI 2.1 ports.
DP 1.4 with DSC which allows 4K/144 Hz @10-bit HDR (this panel uses 8-bit FRC)
A VA panel with outstanding contrast
Only costs $1000

Product page:

However, since the bulk of my gaming has been done on my OLED between consoles and hooking my PC up to the OLED and running at 4K/60 the FV43U has some significant disadvantages compared to my C9.

Which leads me to my question:

HOW DO YOU GUYS TOLERATE the SMEARING produced by LED panels of any kind?
On this panel whenever I play 60 fps content, there is noticeable amounts of ghosting smearing and it's really distracting. I have checked the BALANCED tab in the Overdrive menu and it seems to be minimized. That is the only thing making me hesitant to keep this monitor. I played Doom Eternal and I could get very high framerates.
Otherwise, it's a very nice monitor that can do a lot of things. Very surprised it hasn't received many reviews from mainstream outlets as this seems like a monitor that has something for everyone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks exactly like what I've been searching for... if it only it were 27" ~ 34" instead of 43". I might buy it anyway and see if I can make it work.

I've been keeping an eye on this one (there's an HDMI 2.1 model coming soon, too), but I wonder how they compare...

Retinoid

VA panels have inherent smearing issues when it comes to dark content. It's one the of the trade offs for having a good black levels. I know most VA monitors have an Overdrive option that's supposed to reduce smearing but it usually introduces reverse ghosting. IPS panels may not have the deep blacks of VAs but they also don't have any of the swearing/ghosting issues present in VA panels either - at least if you get a decent model.

Personally I'm waiting on the 42" OLED.

Fredrik

Yeah seems like all screens come with some traps. I once upgrades to a beefy 144hz gsync Ultra wide but returned it after using it for an hour because everything looked like crap compared to a tiny 24” ASUS from 2014, it was fast on paper but there were ghosting and trails etc.
Rtings is a great website, never buy a screen without checking the results there.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The 42" will all but assuredly have an msrp of $999 (its significantly cheaper to produce) and should street for $700-900 depending on how long you wait.
You have no clue how OLED panels are made. Being smaller doesn't mean cheaper. There is a reason why the 48" model was very scarcely available.

However, LG has made claims that they have made some breakthroughs when it comes to size of OLEDs so it may happen.

I wouldn't count on it happening for at least a year though.

Last edited:

old-parts

VA panes do smear that is their biggest downside, it takes a lot of work to get an optimal balance were this is minimized (Samsung G7 is one of the better ones). The panels response time could be tuned for 144Hz at the expense of 60hz but seeing as no proper monitor review site (TFT central, PC monitors info, rtings etc) has looked at this monitor to confirm it that is just speculation on my part.

Try and avoid 60hz if possible and keep FPS as high as possible.

Altering the overdrive can improve the response time but it can also cause other visual side effects so its a case of pick your poison.

There is an owners thread over on hardocp for this monitor but I'm not sure there is much else you can do.

yamaci17

inherent motion blur = the reason why most pc monitor gamers hate motion blur

they're already exposed to natural motion blur thanks to their monitors and since they sit close, additional motion blur makes them hate things

tvs are the same, but since most people play from a certain distance where they actually are unable to tell the differece between 1440p and 4k, they are not exposed to motion blur as much as monitor users do

hence they're usually okay with motion blur

it all comes down to the viewing distance, honestly

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I cannot imagine how bad must be either VA or IPS at monitor using distance.
With VA it will be ghosting and corners will have much lower gamma.
With IPS corners will glow.
only oled my son

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
only oled my son

34" OLED with accurate colors, HDR, 144hz, and proper HDMI 2.1/DisplayPort 1.4 DSC would be my dream monitor, but I think it's still a ways away.

tioslash

only oled my son
Having owned TN, VA and IPS monitors I have to say you´re right, OLED is probably the way to go and I would love to buy one.

Unfortunately the C1 48'' costs at least twice as much as a decent monitor here where I live and the CX 55'' while significantly cheaper is way too big for me to use on my desk.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Having owned TN, VA and IPS monitors I have to say you´re right, OLED is probably the way to go and I would love to buy one.

Unfortunately the C1 48'' costs at least twice as much as a decent monitor here where I live and the CX 55'' while significantly cheaper is way too big for me to use on my desk.
As good as the CX is, you sadly need a 3000 series nvidia GPU or a 6000 series from AMD to take advantage of the high framerate.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Surprised nobody has mentioned MicroLED yet. THAT is the dream tech we are all waiting for. Sadly, it seems to have hit some major roadblocks as of late.

Reallink

You have no clue how OLED panels are made. Being smaller doesn't mean cheaper. There is a reason why the 48" model was very scarcely available.

However, LG has made claims that they have made some breakthroughs when it comes to size of OLEDs so it may happen.

I wouldn't count on it happening for at least a year though.

They're cut from a large "motherglass", and the 48" divides most efficiently with the 77" cuts (2x 77" and 2x 48" per MG IIRC). The 77" is a much lower volume model than the 55"/65", which is why the 48" has been relatively rare and (comparatively for its size) expensive. Not only has LG significantly ramped up production on panels in general this year (and increasingly in the future), the 42" will be produced most efficiently by cutting 10x units from a single motherglass. Not that any of this knowledge is necessary to have made my claim or prediction. The 55" and 48" already street for as low as $1200-$1300, I'm not really sure how you could reason they'd sell a 42" for the same price or more, it doesn't even make logical sense. To be fair though, it's certainly possibly Covid chip/transistor shortages and extreme difficulty shipping product overseas will have an effect on prices. I'm not really sure why you'd be arsed by $100-200 if you're buying a $1000 PC monitor though.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They're cut from a large "motherglass", and the 48" divides most efficiently with the 77" cuts (2x 77" and 2x 48" per MG IIRC). The 77" is a much lower volume model than the 55"/65", which is why the 48" has been relatively rare and (comparatively for its size) expensive. Not only has LG significantly ramped up production on panels in general this year (and increasingly in the future), the 42" will be produced most efficiently by cutting 10x units from a single motherglass. Not that any of this knowledge is necessary to have made my claim or prediction. The 55" and 48" already street for as low as $1200-$1300, I'm not really sure how you could reason they'd sell a 42" for the same price or more, it doesn't even make logical sense. To be fair though, it's certainly possibly Covid chip/transistor shortages and extreme difficulty shipping product overseas will have an effect on prices. I'm not really sure why you'd be arsed by $200 if you're buying $1000 PC monitors though.
Everything you said was pretty accurate. I see LG largely saving the 42" for the gaming and adding a fee on top of it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
34" OLED with accurate colors, HDR, 144hz, and proper HDMI 2.1/DisplayPort 1.4 DSC would be my dream monitor, but I think it's still a ways away.
That's what I though. I've had many monitors before. 144, 240hz, 4k, 1440p, ips, va,, tv.
Largest size was 27". And I thought that 32" 4k oled would be perfect.
But I could not wait any longer and after I got 48" lg c1, it took me 2-3 days to accommodate and now I think 32" would be too small haha

Zeroing

Banned
I used to have an old led tv and it was awefull, lots of smearing and even at 60fps the frames seem to jump. So I always get paranoid when upgrading to a new tv.

Excess

How do you tolerate crushed colors on oled? How’s that dark banding working out for yeah?
luma > chroma

vUs6GSr.jpg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
luma > chroma

vUs6GSr.jpg
Doesn’t matter, it’s the tech… while improving oled still has issues with dark colors. The pixels just can’t adjust at that low of voltage very well. As an oled owner that’s one of the issues I’ve seen besides burn in and screen uniformity going to shot after a year. It will be a long time before I buy another oled. Mini led is my next purchase.

Last edited:
Lol this is a recording of a tv... Nothing like that in reality. I never had cx but C1 it's crystal clear in motion. The only time I've ever seen OLED black smear was in VR. But it's so tiny

Yeah , because that's the only way to show how the motion on that particular screen [Oled CX in this case] really looks.

Here's another one:

yourejestingright2.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah , because that's the only way to show how the motion on that particular screen [Oled CX in this case] really looks.

Here's another one:

yourejestingright2.png

I have the 55" CX and was just playing God of War on PS5 and this is nonsense. I've never seen motion blur like this on any game.

I also have a 2016 LG B6 and used it to play PS4/PS4 Pro, Wii U, and Switch, and again, never seen anything like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

martino

so how is black smearing oin this model....is it reported to be bad ? or we are talking VA in general here ?
i'm tempted by it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
but as you can see

I don't think most can. Maybe I've just been out of the loop, but this is the first time I've even heard of such an issue and I've been in a lot of OLED threads.

The bad things I always hear about are burn in (definitely a thing, it's awful on my B6) and lower peak brightness making it a worse option for brighter rooms (also definitely a thing).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think most can. Maybe I've just been out of the loop, but this is the first time I've even heard of such an issue and I've been in a lot of OLED threads.

The bad things I always hear about are burn in (definitely a thing, it's awful on my B6) and lower peak brightness making it a worse option for brighter rooms (also definitely a thing).
The camera exaggerates the effect a little bit [no camera is perfect], but there's no point in denying that smearing is a big issue on OLED.

You sure that's smearing rather than stutter? It gets pretty bad on 30 fps and lower content without any motion processing.
Wait so you don't see the double image? Look at the tree trail, it's over three times behind its own image. I've never seen anything this bad.

Ulysses 31

That's terrible, how do people use OLED at 30fps games then? I wouldn't be able to tolerate this.
That's why people welcome the 60 fps option in games these days. :lollipop_grinning:

Turn on motion processing(TruMotion on LG) but that usually means no game mode and getting higher input lag. Though IMO OLEDs are still fast enough to game on outside game mode, at least the recent LG ones.

TIGERCOOL

I've got a gigabyte 1440p 165hz VA monitor and yeah when I hadnt optimized it it was very noticeable. Try increasing gamma to start, and from there just know what settings work best for which content. I hardly see it now. Balanced for 60-120 and aim stabalizer (bfi) for anything above which darkens the image but its fine. I usually only care about maxing out my framerate on competitive games where image quality isn't the focus. These things can also improve naturally as you "break in" the screen. Sounds silly but it's true.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The camera exaggerates the effect a little bit [no camera is perfect], but there's no point in denying that smearing is a big issue on OLED.

Never seen it at all, and I definitely notice VA panel smearing.

I played plenty of PS4/PS4 Pro games on my LG B6 that didn't quite hit 30 fps, and again, nothing like that.

I've never really used non-LG OLEDs, though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You sure that's smearing rather than stutter? It gets pretty bad on 30 fps and lower content without any motion processing.
This is correct. OLED's biggest weakness is stutter. 30 fps gaming works well enough on my OLED, but I am so over 30 fps gaming. For movies, you definitely need motion interpolation and LG has come a long way with that setting.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Never seen it at all, and I definitely notice VA panel smearing.

I played plenty of PS4/PS4 Pro games on my LG B6 that didn't quite hit 30 fps, and again, nothing like that.

I've never really used non-LG OLEDs, though.
All OLEDs are currently made by LG Display, which is why there is likely to be minimal difference between companies. LG has also put a big emphasis on gaming in their TVs. Strangely enough Sony has put the least emphasis on gaming with their TVs.

The 42" will all but assuredly have an msrp of $999 (its significantly cheaper to produce) and should street for $700-900 depending on how long you wait.

you can't be this stupid. theyre currently selling their 3x something OLED monitor for like $3k. I know what they SAID but if they make it a monitor (and why wouldn't they because they'd have the market cornered), they'll pump it full of 'features' and sell it for 1.5x what a 43inch VA costs and call it a bargain.

They're cut from a large "motherglass", and the 48" divides most efficiently with the 77" cuts (2x 77" and 2x 48" per MG IIRC). The 77" is a much lower volume model than the 55"/65", which is why the 48" has been relatively rare and (comparatively for its size) expensive. Not only has LG significantly ramped up production on panels in general this year (and increasingly in the future), the 42" will be produced most efficiently by cutting 10x units from a single motherglass. Not that any of this knowledge is necessary to have made my claim or prediction. The 55" and 48" already street for as low as $1200-$1300, I'm not really sure how you could reason they'd sell a 42" for the same price or more, it doesn't even make logical sense. To be fair though, it's certainly possibly Covid chip/transistor shortages and extreme difficulty shipping product overseas will have an effect on prices. I'm not really sure why you'd be arsed by $100-200 if you're buying a $1000 PC monitor though.

Because....MONEY??

Top Bottom