• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
RE2 and 3 remakes were also played within months of their release on stream.

I figured they would just brush off Andromeda because the internet consensus is that it was terrible, and that would be their excuse
Ah that’s right, I totally forgot about those, mainly because of who was actually playing them.

While Andromeda was an awful Mass Effect Story game, it’s combat and mobility was a billion times better than anything found in Mass Effect 1-3. It’s basically like Metal Gear 5, it’s a garbage story and dialogue and characters suck, but the actual part where you play the game, the combat was fun (I only played it for like 10 hours, but had infinitely more fun with the combat than just hiding behind cover and popping out to use powers to kill everything.)

Side note: Why can’t more games use the borderlands types of weapons (flame, caustic, plasma, explosive) With enemies who are more susceptible to certain types? That always seemed like a trend that shooter games should have followed.

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
I’ll never believe that egg whites story. It’s just not possible. Dans a smart guy. I simply don’t believe he was that retarded. I say it was all part of making the fanbase think he was a complete ignoramus, which is what he fed off of in those early days of him being there lol

Eating bunless Oscar Mayer cheese dogs using a ripped shoebox as a plate? Yeah I absolutely believe that one.
He is a smart guy but in a different way. Maybe a bit sheltered? I don't know. Unless he was a compulsive liar, then you need to believe a lot is true. Never tried mayo until his 20's? Geez

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
He is a smart guy but in a different way. Maybe a bit sheltered? I don't know. Unless he was a compulsive liar, then you need to believe a lot is true. Never tried mayo until his 20's? Geez
I can believe that though. I’m in my 30s and I’ve never had yogurt 🤢

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Dan and Jeff are both pretty weird about food. Dan legit seems like his life was basically frozen food, fast food, action movies, and video games when he was younger.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Haven't had yogurt...? I'll never understand sheltered or weird aversions to food. I eat gallons of the stuff. Get a decent Greek yogurt like choboni or fage. It's a protein powerhouse. Careful of the Greek yogurts that are basically ice cream, unless you're going for that. Or go probiotic and amp up your poopin' game. Just ask Jamie Lee Curtis

Reactions: TheMadMan007

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
With the massive amount of different foods there are out there, I am can understand some foods that people haven't tried before, you can't have had everything... but when it's basic staples of food, where you go out of your way to avoid, that's when it gets weird. Dan basically grew up only eating candy and fast food, so him hating pretty much anything real was gonna happen just by the way he was brought up, but something like mayo or others where he outright refuses to even try is just plain stupid. How can you know if you hate something if you've never tried it before? He has said since he got married he's tried and liked a lot of things he thought he'd hate, so I guess that's growing up a bit, so good on him.

I also agree that yogurt is great when it's the more high quality stuff, and not just basically ice cream/candy

Reactions: Drunkenski
Sep 7, 2011
Well since I have premium I'm going to go through and watch old content that I've never seen for games I like since current stuff is terrible.

First up: VinnyVania: Symphony of the Night.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Yup, it's wicked boring. I don't think he did a single renegade action. On top of that he plays the game horribly. He's almost done with the third game and still doesn't seem to grasp how the abilities work, never uses cover, and dies all the time.

Also he killed Tali in the suicide mission in 2 and was so butthurt over it that he had Vinny hack the save to bring her back for 3. He'll blame the game even though he was told to select someone who could work well with a team and selected the nomadic monk who kills people for slight offenses instead.
He hacked a save? Jesus, if he used the tool that I did years back that's more time consuming than just playing the mission through again. Also, another mission playthrough is more content in a popular series. What kind of manager or producer actively lets content walk away? I guess the same one who won't do a Shenmue 2 endurance run, or follow up with Yakuza, or any of the other shit Vinny and Jeff have let slip away because they don't give a shit.

I've been watching Dan's stream archives and while the "thanks for the bits" stuff is a bit grating it's infinitely preferable to Ben wheezing and smacking his lips into the mic or Abby's "I think for meeee" stuff. I still prefer streamers who keep things like that to a minimum though. I don't think he's streaming at the moment but Jerma is pretty funny so I've been watching his stuff a lot. He doesn't cover current games so much as finds oddities that allow for comedy.

It's also crazy to me that Dan, who was maligned by his office mates so often (again, frequently rightfully) has managed to build a streaming setup that's better than anyone on the GB team while having his own day job. I wonder if any of the GB people have watched his streams and had even the tiniest flicker of being aware that they are doing a bad job.

Reactions: DangerStepp

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
He hacked a save? Jesus, if he used the tool that I did years back that's more time consuming than just playing the mission through again. Also, another mission playthrough is more content in a popular series. What kind of manager or producer actively lets content walk away? I guess the same one who won't do a Shenmue 2 endurance run, or follow up with Yakuza, or any of the other shit Vinny and Jeff have let slip away because they don't give a shit.
That’s what I have been saying, multiple times too. They love doing the more complicated and worse way to get something done. Giant Bomb “Work dumber, not smarter!”

It’s insane that they just couldn't give less of a crap about anything too. The Shenmue 2 ER was a perfect example. They could have done one right before 3 came out, but nah. Dan leaves and in the following weeks Vinny brings up multiple times he wants to playthrough Shenmue 2... but doesn’t. Is there some dark corporate figure shutting down all these idea? No, it’s just them not wanting to do it. Nothing is holding them back. They all can be doing full play thoughs of any game they want, but they just don’t.

And yeah, it’s really pitiful that Dan, a single person on his off time can stream more games with a better setup than a crew of 8 who is paid professionally by a corporation to do so.

It’s just absolutely unbelievable they get away with being this lazy and hateful towards the fans.

Pilgrimm1981

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2020
For those who don't speak French, Abby did another butt joke and apart from the horrendous grammar, it's just as funny as the other ones! Bill Hicks, eat your heart out!

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
He also never had tea
Not to dis his parents (we know how his dad is), but I'm pretty sure he lived with his mom growing up. You would think at some point these basic foods would have been made for him by his mom. Or at least let him know that foods like 'mayo' should be at least tried once. Or that 'egg whites' are not the shells. Even if she was a working single mom (my mom was), she would, I would assume, have made actual meals at times, rather than fast food and frozen meals. There is no way a mom would be OK with feeding your kid fast food and frozen meals 100% of the time. (even in Kansas)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMadMan007

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
His mom cooked for him plenty. He said so once or twice. Remember Dan was also working as a young teen already at McDonalds and shit lol

His mom seemed cool as hell though. Remember the story when he made some dumb bet with her (that he knew he’d win)for a Dreamcast?

Young Dan was a ruthless hooligan

Last edited:
Reactions: Dale-Gribble-

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
FFS it's not even right, its supposed to be Aide! Je ne sais pas où est mon cul! Au Secours would be more common for Mayday! Than help
I also use Google translate to make people think I'm cultured.
voir? mon français est aussi un blaireau de toilette

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
I'll counter a bit of the Mass Effect playthrough. As someone who played through the series fully for the first time in 2015, I didn't really like it and was basically forced by my girlfriend, which was her favorite gaming series (we ended up married). So I played my Shepard as how I felt in every situation, sometimes those renegade options didn't line up with how I felt and it made for a really weird playthrough. Shepard would either be super kind and thoughtful or fly off the handle like Cole Phelps in LA Noire pressing doubt.

When Alex lost Tali, it was because he didn't realize it was a choice that would have resulted in her death. Those options, again first time through aren't always clear that its a "hey, just choose someone to do this really quick, they''ll be fine" or a "This is a life or death moment, choose carefully". I get that he was super bummed about Tali, and she plays a major role in 3, so losing her to a technicality sucks and I get the whole hack.

The issue I have with it, was that it was at the end of the game, and instead of just off camera just replaying the final mission, which what, would have been like an hour, or even just making it a Bonus episode and making a "Giant Bomb Director's Cut" episode would have been fun, to right the wrong of having her die. Instead, they opted for the harder way of "hacking the save" and having it take almost a year between the end of Mass Effect 2's playthrough and the Mass Effect 3's first episode. It was just needlessly pointless.

Alex isn't great at the game, but it's still fairly enjoyable, I just can't stand that 80% of his playthrough is Citadel conversations and getting lost. I literally fall asleep watching those parts. I have NEVER once fallen asleep watching any movie or TV show, or online content, but as soon as I hear "Let's just go to the Citadel and turn in this quest and call it" it's a 1.5 hour naptime for me.
I mean if you pick a bad team leader than someone on the team dying isn't that crazy. The only "bad" deaths that can happen at the end are Mordin and if you pick Miranda for the biotic shield, since it's not clear why she wouldn't have been able to handle it.
That’s what I have been saying, multiple times too. They love doing the more complicated and worse way to get something done. Giant Bomb “Work dumber, not smarter!”

It’s insane that they just couldn't give less of a crap about anything too. The Shenmue 2 ER was a perfect example. They could have done one right before 3 came out, but nah. Dan leaves and in the following weeks Vinny brings up multiple times he wants to playthrough Shenmue 2... but doesn’t. Is there some dark corporate figure shutting down all these idea? No, it’s just them not wanting to do it. Nothing is holding them back. They all can be doing full play thoughs of any game they want, but they just don’t.

And yeah, it’s really pitiful that Dan, a single person on his off time can stream more games with a better setup than a crew of 8 who is paid professionally by a corporation to do so.

It’s just absolutely unbelievable they get away with being this lazy and hateful towards the fans.
The Shenmue 2 ER missed opportunity will always be insane to me. Shenmue 3, one of the most anticipated kickstarters ever, was about to come out and the ER of the first game was wicked popular. I can't think of a more obvious source of content that would get a ton of views and make their fans happy.

They recorded that first one before Dan even moved East permanently. They had years to get the second one going before he left. Nah, let's do Burgle my Bananas one of the worst features put on the internet.

Sep 7, 2011
Il y a un chat de fromage dans mon pantalon

Dan was only in the first episode of VinnyVania: Symphony of the night, that's disappointing.

The series is from 2016 though and Vinny and Alex are so much more lighthearted talking while playing. Vinny even makes a joke about some random drunk women wanting to see his dick when they asked to take a snapchat video with him (he said no.)

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
The Shenmue 2 ER missed opportunity will always be insane to me. Shenmue 3, one of the most anticipated kickstarters ever, was about to come out and the ER of the first game was wicked popular. I can't think of a more obvious source of content that would get a ton of views and make their fans happy.

They recorded that first one before Dan even moved East permanently. They had years to get the second one going before he left. Nah, let's do Burgle my Bananas one of the worst features put on the internet.
Ugh... I seriously forgot about Burgle.... what an absolute horrible series. It made no sense, it was boring, unfunny and just killed all excitement for months. And it's not like it was even revolving around a semi-decent game. EVERYONE know DK64 is one of the worst 64 games. It's actually one of the worst games I've ever played. Just thinking about that series makes me aggravated.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Ugh... I seriously forgot about Burgle.... what an absolute horrible series. It made no sense, it was boring, unfunny and just killed all excitement for months. And it's not like it was even revolving around a semi-decent game. EVERYONE know DK64 is one of the worst 64 games. It's actually one of the worst games I've ever played. Just thinking about that series makes me aggravated.
I still don't know what that series was supposed to be, I remember I watched part of a stream and they weren't even playing DK64

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I still don't know what that series was supposed to be, I remember I watched part of a stream and they weren't even playing DK64
Sadly no one knew, it was Giant Bomb's patented "Don't plan, just throw anything at the wall and see what sticks!".
They themselves got so bored with the game in like the second or third episode they just played Mario 64 instead. Again, only on a technicality of them not having rules, they threw in a new stipulation in of whatever they wanted, because there was no set rules. They changed those rules on the fly and it was like watching a bunch of 7 year olds try to play monopoly.

Reactions: Ryuji Goda

eot

Apr 13, 2012
We're doing food confessions? I've never had a burrito, but I'm not a fan of Mexican food and don't live in a place where it's served a lot so...

• Triggered
Reactions: Thing on a Spring

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Not to dis his parents (we know how his dad is), but I'm pretty sure he lived with his mom growing up. You would think at some point these basic foods would have been made for him by his mom. Or at least let him know that foods like 'mayo' should be at least tried once. Or that 'egg whites' are not the shells. Even if she was a working single mom (my mom was), she would, I would assume, have made actual meals at times, rather than fast food and frozen meals. There is no way a mom would be OK with feeding your kid fast food and frozen meals 100% of the time. (even in Kansas)
She was always working. Think she used to work at Taco Bell which is why he ate it a lot of the time. Free food.

I'm not a fan of Mexican food

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
So the new big Xbox showcase was last week, and it was meant to show off all the amazing games coming out. The Bombcast decided to spend some time out of their oh so busy schedules to talk about it. Jeff decided that instead of recapping all the awesome games, or spending time to talk in depth about a good majority of the first glimpses, they devote the majority to talking about PSO 2... you know that amazing game that everyone is excited about, not just Jeff and Jason. I'm glad they delved deep into such a historic and groundbreaking game instead of Halo, or Psychonauts, or State of Decay 3.... PSO2 is where it's at baby!.... Man, just hearing them talk for around 20 minutes about it must have wiped them out, I hope they get some vacation time, a couple of months at least, I mean after all, they deserve it for all the hard work they put in of streaming a couple hours every few days.

Also, glad to hear that no one "had time" to load up and play Carrion, one of the only new releases of this month, and a game that takes 4 hours roughly to beat.

Just loaded up what Jeff is doing, with his dumbass boarders, and he's just got his back to the camera and playing another version of the original Elevator Action. At least just turn off all that stuff and just play Elevator Action Returns, that game is actually rad. It really just shows you how much they couldn't care less about the audience. That site is strictly for the staff, to do whatever they want.

EDIT: Ok, he loaded up Elevator Action Returns.... looks like we'll get to see Jeff play Jad the Taff in the first level for a billionth time, like every other time Jeff plays Elevator Action Returns then dumps it after the first level. There has to be at least 5 other videos on the site with Jeff playing the first level of this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: point decay

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
I have to admit that this week's Bombcast is the first one in a while where they all sound like they actually give a damn.

They talked in-depth on a few games and Jeff was somewhat energetic; couple that with a lack of lame non sequiturs and you have a decent podcast. They must actually be reading the complaints.

Reactions: Drunkenski and Hudo

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
So the new big Xbox showcase was last week, and it was meant to show off all the amazing games coming out. The Bombcast decided to spend some time out of their oh so busy schedules to talk about it. Jeff decided that instead of recapping all the awesome games, or spending time to talk in depth about a good majority of the first glimpses, they devote the majority to talking about PSO 2... you know that amazing game that everyone is excited about, not just Jeff and Jason. I'm glad they delved deep into such a historic and groundbreaking game instead of Halo, or Psychonauts, or State of Decay 3.... PSO2 is where it's at baby!.... Man, just hearing them talk for around 20 minutes about it must have wiped them out, I hope they get some vacation time, a couple of months at least, I mean after all, they deserve it for all the hard work they put in of streaming a couple hours every few days.

Also, glad to hear that no one "had time" to load up and play Carrion, one of the only new releases of this month, and a game that takes 4 hours roughly to beat.

Just loaded up what Jeff is doing, with his dumbass boarders, and he's just got his back to the camera and playing another version of the original Elevator Action. At least just turn off all that stuff and just play Elevator Action Returns, that game is actually rad. It really just shows you how much they couldn't care less about the audience. That site is strictly for the staff, to do whatever they want.

EDIT: Ok, he loaded up Elevator Action Returns.... looks like we'll get to see Jeff play Jad the Taff in the first level for a billionth time, like every other time Jeff plays Elevator Action Returns then dumps it after the first level. There has to be at least 5 other videos on the site with Jeff playing the first level of this game.
Pretty soon his gameplay is going to be the size of a postage stamp with all that nonsense he has on screen.

• LOL
Reactions: Hudo

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Pretty soon his gameplay is going to be the size of a postage stamp with all that nonsense he has on screen.
Honestly surprised that hasn't happened yet. What is the point? Is it a joke? If it is, it's not funny, and been that way for months. Jeff is single handedly turned from my favorite of the Giant Bomb staff to near the bottom of the barrel. Luckily he's got two people who are so annoying that I'll never hate him as much as I hate those two.

Reactions: JovianLizards

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
They really said they did not have time to play Carrion?
Yup, specifically Jeff, later on they were talking about another game (I think Grounded, the Honey I shrunk the kids game), and he said, he'll hopefully get to it sometime later after Carrion and a few other games.....HAHAHA yeah, I'm sure he will

• LOL
Reactions: Ryuji Goda

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I have to admit that this week's Bombcast is the first one in a while where they all sound like they actually give a damn.

They talked in-depth on a few games and Jeff was somewhat energetic; couple that with a lack of lame non sequiturs and you have a decent podcast. They must actually be reading the complaints.
Agreed, I had to double check I turned on the right cast. Not great by yesteryear's standards, but for today's it was like seeing a coma patient twitch a finger. Was alright till Ben pulled a knockout email discussing wall to wall carpet like he's Bob Vila. Really?

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Agreed, I had to double check I turned on the right cast. Not great by yesteryear's standards, but for today's it was like seeing a coma patient twitch a finger. Was alright till Ben pulled a knockout email discussing wall to wall carpet like he's Bob Vila. Really?
Yeah it’s definitely the least I’ve skipped around in a bit (still didn’t listen to the whole thing) but they still sound like they’re holding back, Jeff especially.

Reactions: Drunkenski