• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.BIZ]Why didn't people buy Call of Duty this year?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This is true^

But from a business perspective they have used the same formula that results in over millions of dollars in profits every year. COD is in the top 3 list of best selling games every year. For them to “try something new” would be a big risk that they don’t really need to take right now because these games will still sell.

Vanguard will probably still end up being the best selling game this year despite all of the negative feedback. Especially since battlefield ended up not being well received either.

If you had the formula to make tons of money every year would you change it to try something new? That’s the question that they face and this is why I just stopped buying and playing call of duty.

Until the sales drop they will keep pumping out the same game every year. They have a golden handcuff problem that won’t be solved until sales for the games start to decline.

I suppose "Call of duty" is inherently military. But at this point the series with zombies and its storys is not really a millitary shooter anymore. I would say they are as much sci fi shooters as military.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
94HRvjX.jpg

Something like this would never happen, but if it did it would probably set sales records.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why does everyone ignore how big Warzone is?

Literally everyone of my friends who were annual CoD buyers exclusively play Warzone now. They are all just waiting for the new map in a couple of days
The only reason they play it is because it's free. It doesn't cater to the classic cod crowd as it had nothing to do with it.

Warzone is BR, which is so far away from the original game, which has tdm, ctf etc.

If the standard multiplayer from cod was free then Warzone would die.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'd say it's a combination of things.
One it's another Word War II setting and it's following after Blops Cold War which for a majority of people was a huge step back from MW.
then you have the Blops die hards that get absolutely murdered on it giving it bad word of mouth because well they suck..
And then there's the little bits of woke shit sprinkled in the campaign
Other than that, it's pretty solid entry.
It's MW in a WWII setting, but a little faster paced.
most the maps are remakes from COD:WAW
But I'd say if you like MW and don't mind the WWII setting you should be able to get into this easily as it's very similar to MW.
It's not like going from MW to Cold War, everything is familiar with MW.

TheBoss1

At this point, if it ain't Modern Warfare I don't want it. All the other games are there to keep the suits' pockets filled until the next Modern Warfare.

RaptorGTA

I was on the fence about getting it with BF coming out. After BF had it issues..but I thought about getting COD. The free weekend came and I only played a few matches and was done.

It wasn't bad but it really felt like a normal call of duty game with a WWII skin. I'd rather just play COD:MW 2019 instead.

Orpheum

Ever since MW2 i have pretty much only played the campaigns of some of the later games and to be honest vanguard looks bland as fuck. Also the reviews from the people i tend to watch and trust the most were pretty bad so there's no reason for me to spend money on this

Mr.Bond

I played the free trial and enjoyed it. But ultimately it felt like more of the same with a crappy setting. If there had been a Black Friday sale on digital I would have considered it, but not at full retail price. I'll revisit when its on sale.
I got it for 39 bucks at walmart, physical copy but still, for 39 bucks its worth it

McGILLAZ

People do tho
Yep. I know a pretty big group of people that moved onto other games because of this. A big draw for a number of folks in my "friends" group was Modern Warfare's attention to sound design and weapon models (I know later on the models got nerfed with stupid-assed stickers, skins, etc...but out of the gate, it was pretty damned impressive)

Idk but I’m loving it.
pacing brings more of a better option of the game types you want. Maps are fun and spawns are only really bad on shipment.
Zombies needs work though.
Even at its weakest COD still has the best first person pvp out there basically.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Then they need to buy h3 vr and not arcade shooter
For some, true.

Arcade shooters should not be mucking up actual history either. Even in their revisionist guise of "it's just fantasy, bro." Especially for a series, while arcade-like play style, did build itself up on authenticity and accuracy.
Yep. I know a pretty big group of people that moved onto other games because of this. A big draw for a number of folks in my "friends" group was Modern Warfare's attention to sound design and weapon models (I know later on the models got nerfed with stupid-assed stickers, skins, etc...but out of the gate, it was pretty damned impressive)
Yep.

Fake

Because this game sucks and MW2019 will be the best CoD for many years foward.

I find funny people calling this game a WW2. They litelary invented a fictional war and called WW2.

"We took liberty to make some changes." Well, there is your results.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Because this game sucks and MW2019 will be the best CoD for many years foward.

I find funny poeple calling this game a WW2. They litelary invented a fictional war and called WW2.

"We took liberty to make some changes." Well, there is your results.
remake bingo GIF

Dane

-Saturation, Black Ops CW already had a mixed played reception, they basically managed to back to the Ghosts issue in just two games on the new engine
-Actvision scandals
-BF2042, and Halo Infinite, especially that BF has legacy content which is pretty much the only good thing and Halo is back to basics with F2P MP.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I didn't buy it this year for one simple reason:
1. I had no clue what the game was actually about. I have no idea of the single player setting. Does it even have a single player campaign? Stuff that I couldn't determine from posters or ads.

Contrast from Cold War from last year and Modern Warfare from the previous year, I knew exactly what the story was. I am also a sucker for the Black Ops brand of CoD so Cold War was a must play for me.

I'd also love a remaster of Black Ops 1 and 2. Those were incredible.

Last edited:

Neff

My brother is a hardcore CoD guy since the PS3 era and he's barely touched the latest instalment for one reason- there's simply too many cheaters. It's gone mainstream and is even considered acceptable because people are making money from it.

Top Bottom