• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.BIZ]Why didn't people buy Call of Duty this year?

Justin9mm

Played the Beta of Vanguard, played the whole free weekend of Vanguard and I'm still here playing MW2019. Besides the campy map design, everything else about MW2019 is just so much better!

Also played Cold War for a little while, bought it, completed campaign, played MP for a good month and then never played it again.

MW2 2022 will be day 1 for me. Everyone knows Infinity Ward are the kings of COD hands down.

lmimmfn

On PC theyre so arrogant to rarely reduce their prices that i ignore all new COD releases, MW1 was sublime, MW2 was great, ive played the newer releases and theyre shit in comparison.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Stagnation and more choices this year like Halo and Battlefield. Next year these same folks will get the next CoD and break new records.

CoD ain't going nowhere and even Vanguard (weak entry) will sell more than any game this Holiday season.

Warzone Pacific is where it's at, hope they don't ruin it.

SteadyEvo

How is this even a serious question? How many times can a game following basically the exact same formula, release on a yearly basis and continue to be fresh and exciting?

Take a few years off and in the meantime try a NEW idea. And if it’s a hit don’t milk it dry.

Matt_Fox

I'm a UK gamer, and it seems like the story that COD: Vanguard is failing is because of statistics from lower UK sales.

So what's the reason?

Vanguard is not exciting. It's not new. It's not yelling 'you must have me or you'll miss out'.

Personally, I bought the game. The campaign is very short and linear. The zombies is the worst for years. And the multi-player is excellent (as always) but still just a small iteration on previous games.

The drugs cartel plotline of COD 2022 sounds like just the reboot the series needs. It also needs to be the tip of the spear technology wise and ditch last gen. I predict a 'comeback' next year, but this year has definitely been a dip.

Notabueno

Banned
Oh really??? They need to do a survey to know most people don't give a shit about an Xth WWII game in 2021 in an xth COD game?

ByWatterson

It'll still be the best-selling game of the year after one month at market.

I wouldn't read too much into this - especially considering it seems like a foregone conclusion that Modern Warfare II, next year, will absolutely dominate on name ID alone.

ZehDon

At least for my circle, Halo Infinite ate its lunch. No one was keen on "more COD" when we had the breath of fresh air that was Infinite's multiplayer. COD is down to re-making earlier entries to generate excitement, and that tells me the time of its annual releases being at the top is just about over. Warzone is its future. Unfortunately for COD, I am completely done with BRs too.

nullpoynter

I've been enjoying Vanguard myself. I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy Cold War and Vanguard more than Modern Warfare.

Salz01

Championship Hill is a fun mode. Most of the new maps are fun. Single player is decent, and they at least tried with it. Zombies is shit. I think most COD players are just happy with Warzone. I bought it like every year and I don’t regret the purchase. Played the new Battlefield and Vanguard shits all over it, as a complete package. I personally like the WW2 setting. The only real complaint I have is that the characters are dopey ass potato heads and ugly, but you just look at them in the menus anyways.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

No cod has been as fun as modern warfare 2.
Not even close.

Bring back small maps, sub machine guns and shotguns as secondary.
Actually good perks.

Mw2 was the marvel vs capcom 2 on cod.
Borderline broken and everything feels kinda op.

Best mp fps ever made

WW2 yet again. That could be a contributing factor. What’s with the obsession with WW2? Watch it still dominate the sales chart though.

recursive

On PC theyre so arrogant to rarely reduce their prices that i ignore all new COD releases, MW1 was sublime, MW2 was great, ive played the newer releases and theyre shit in comparison.
Vanguard has been on sale for a few days on pc. 25% off I believe. Cold war has had numerous 50% off sales (including now). I mean I know its cool to shit on cod but come on bruv, at least get the facts straight before laying out your veteran opinion on the comparisons.

teezzy

Banned
I wonder if we have finally reached the point where the next generation of gamers become bigger and isn't that attracted to Call of Duty anymore and the Millenials are slowly fading away from the gaming landscape entering the parts of their lives where wife, children, career etc. become more important.

Actually surprised CoD was "relevant" for so long considering the stagnation.

Im Not Even Sorry Matt Leblanc GIF

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Zombies isn't worth the asking price and a lot of people play just for zombies.

As someone who played and has every single COD to date, Id say Cold War was where I felt the burnout. Not that I mind my yearly COD, just it was so apparent that the online section is unfinished and they are thinking of adding things down the line instead and the singleplayer was quite boring. First COD i actually waited for a big sale. Then I started doing reviews for a local website and now get the games codes for free and I honestly dont think Ill every buy another COD with my money. Back in the day I used to play the campaign twice...once on Normal and once on Veteran for the trophies and getting all the intel. I barely finished the shortest campaign ever how boring it was.

I remember the days and not even that long ago, when you would get jam-packed COD game from day one. I believe BLOPS 3 was one of the last ones, you got massive amounts of MP maps, modes, you got 2 random games that have nothing to do with COD but are there just for fun like some topdown shooter in the jungle. Single-player was lengthy...literally you got everything day one. Gotta give props to Infinite Warfare as well....I loved that one, the mob hate was manufactured, one of the best SP if not THE BEST. It was like 15 hours long campaign. Then BLOPS 4 happened and you could see cracks in the wall of upcoming unfinished products.

Larogue

I loved Modern Warfare (2019) and still play it.

But Cold War was so bad that it left a bad taste in my mouth that I'm still not over it, yet.

Last edited:
Call of Duty 2019, Call of Duty Cold war, Call of duty Warzone .....people are getting burnt out on Call of duty and they aren't doing anything to spark new life and innovation into the series.

base

Banned
Didn't buy Call of Duty since...... never. Played only Modern Warfare (2007) and MW2. Not my taste.

V4skunk

Banned
Casul scrubs are waiting for ps5/XSX and are holding out buying last gen games with the hope of getting a new console soon.

Kerotan

Its not selling as well but still selling and will likely do so until the next one hits. Expect to see it in charts next year too.
All the while modern warfare and cold war continues to do consistent numbers and warzone rolls in the MTX. it was a filler title and it did it's job.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Same reason I haven't bought the last like 5, they're terrible unbalanced and just reward playtime over all with their unlock systems.

It'll still be a top 3 selling game this year though, likely number 1.

MrFunSocks

Banned
How is this even a serious question? How many times can a game following basically the exact same formula, release on a yearly basis and continue to be fresh and exciting?

Take a few years off and in the meantime try a NEW idea. And if it’s a hit don’t milk it dry.
Well this is like the 15th year in a row where it’ll be the best or second best selling game of the year, so I don’t think there’s really any need for them to take a few years off. People clearly still love it.

Same way madden and FIFA and nba are always up there and rarely change.

YuLY

and the Millenials are slowly fading away from the gaming landscape entering the parts of their lives where wife, children, career etc. become more important.
Once a gamer I think you will always be a gamer, eventually you do find some time for yourself, else you go crazy. But I do think that once the things you listed come in the equation, you start being more into single player games, that you can play at your pace and for which you dont need to play 12h a day to keep the muscle memory up in order have a chance against the kids.
So while I doubt they drop off gaming totally, they do probably start to drop off multiplayer games, barring I dunno, maybe 1 night per month with the squad in Warzone?

There are multiple reasons obviously, its even in the article. One I would like add is (and I honestly take no pleasure in this, as its also the stuff I've grown with also) that I just think arena shooters are dying, or at least the mode. How many decades can you play the same 3lane small map where the one who sees the enemy first is the one that gets the kill ? We need something new honestly. I think Halo is fine as it fits a special niche, its a bit more slow, the ttk is higher because of shields etc, but for the rest eh. Like lets be honest , something like Medal of Honor reboot (2010 + Warfighter) would get massacred in today's market.
This is also exacerbated by the iNfLuEnCeRs pushing their BR agenda to the kids that follow twitch/streams.

I think next COD will sell a bit better because MW reboot was really liked, but after that I think the francise will drop again to this level of vanguard, maybe even lower.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Didn't they go truly woke - a first for CoD??
Yup and that’s exactly why it failed . That and the fact they hired those woke people that don’t know shit about cod .
Cod didn’t have any memorable characters ? Soap ? Price ?
You can tell how woke these people were by just looking at them .

no wonder why it failed. They were forced by the media to hire these retards lol

now they will get fired if they didn’t already. And in best case scenario they will demote them to a lower level

edit just in case . This was sarcasm post :/

Last edited:

renzolama

It's because I already bought that Call of Duty a half dozen times. They painted themselves into a corner with the anti-mobility rants they did in the 'boots on the ground' marketing to get butthurt boomers to buy Modern Warfare and WW2 and 'get the gang back together'. What can they make with new / interesting gameplay mechanics now that they've blacklisted all mobility enhancements in their marketing for the next decade?

Infinite Warfare was one of the best campaigns they've ever done and the mobility on it was almost perfect, if they'd have taken another cycle to refine the multiplayer maps to actually use the mobility properly and fixed all the shit netcode they'd have a good future combat titanfall-esque series going once every three years by now. It wouldn't be for everybody but at least they'd be mixing it up with the different releases each year to appeal to different audiences.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Because its the same as several cods before it.

The time periods are pretty burnt out.

They need to be more creative with the time periods and setting, the beauty of COD is that many time periods can be adapted to the formula. Also the story does not need to be about war. Cod black ops had a great manturian candidate style story, probably my fav cod story not just as a cod game but gaming in general.

I would like to see.

Blader runner style world and story

A full on space story, maybe something like Elysium.

Or a story like the movie Prometheus.

They could just copy and take inspiration from movies and it would be great. I dont know why they have to limit themselves to WW1,WW2 and future wars.

Because its the same as several cods before it.

The time periods are pretty burnt out.

They need to be more creative with the time periods and setting, the beauty of COD is that many time periods can be adapted to the formula. Also the story does not need to be about war. Cod black ops had a great manturian candidate style story, probably my fav cod story not just as a cod game but gaming in general.

I would like to see.

Blader runner style world and story

A full on space story, maybe something like Elysium.

Or a story like the movie Prometheus.

They could just copy and take inspiration from movies and it would be great. I dont know why they have to limit themselves to WW1,WW2 and future wars.

This is true^

But from a business perspective they have used the same formula that results in over millions of dollars in profits every year. COD is in the top 3 list of best selling games every year. For them to “try something new” would be a big risk that they don’t really need to take right now because these games will still sell.

Vanguard will probably still end up being the best selling game this year despite all of the negative feedback. Especially since battlefield ended up not being well received either.

If you had the formula to make tons of money every year would you change it to try something new? That’s the question that they face and this is why I just stopped buying and playing call of duty.

Until the sales drop they will keep pumping out the same game every year. They have a golden handcuff problem that won’t be solved until sales for the games start to decline.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I was very happy with MW2019, and I found it weird and annoying how the game was "shut down" prematurely because of Cold War. Cold War I bought because of Zombies, its campaign, and the forced CW/Warzone/BP integration. Vanguard OTOH, I have no idea for what purpose I would want to buy that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom