• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.biz] Fandom acquires GameSpot, Metacritic and Giant Bomb, other sites

3liteDragon

Red Ventures sells notable gaming brands for undisclosed sum, two years after acquiring them.
Entertainment platform Fandom has acquired a number of gaming brands from Red Ventures, including GameSpot, Metacritic, and Giant Bomb, as well as several other media sites.
The deal will see the above brands combined into Fandom's main platform, according to the company. It will also "continue to expand Fandom's global fan platform to super serve entertainment and gaming fans as well as partners."

Other brands included in the transaction are guides website GameFAQs, entertainment sites Cord Cutter News and Comic Vine, and television programming website TV Guide.
The terms of the acquisition were not disclosed. "We're thrilled to add these powerful, authoritative brands into the Fandom platform, which will expand our business capabilities and provide immersive content for our partners, advertisers and fans," said Fandom CEO Perkins Miller. "The trusted insights, ratings and content they provide will make us a one-stop shop for fans across their entertainment and gaming journey."

GameSpot, Metacritic and Giant Bomb were sold to Red Ventures in 2020 as part of the firm's $500 million acquisition of CNET Media Group from previous owner Viacom CBS. In August, Fandom sold tabletop game maker Cortex to studio Dire Wolf Digital in a move to exit the RPG business.

Last edited:
You mean to tell me that the wiki people pulled millions out their ass to buy these companies?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Used to spend a lot of time on the GameSpot boards, can't say I visit the pages in the headline all that much these days.

I'm going to try and just look for individual podcasts that are not connected to a major media machine.
How much luck will I have finding a few?
There was a time when I could find Podcasts on just about any subject and it was good.
But once deals and money start entering the conversation, Things always go according to a 'plan'.

Used to spend a lot of time on the GameSpot boards, can't say I visit the pages in the headline all that much these days.
I can't go there after they use the site to push their political agenda. Especially, when they ask you to read how you can stop the evil people who share the opposite opinion on certain topics, nost of which I am one of.

I haven't checked out GameSpot for nearly 20 years... Don't know if it's any good or not.
Its been literal years since i have seen these sites.
Giant Bomb, GameSpot, MetaCritic... They're not really sites that I pay attention to.

GameFAQS is a bit of a loss though.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wonder if this will lead to another batch of people leaving Giantbomb.

R6Rider

Gold Member
TV guide?

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm going to try and just look for individual podcasts that are not connected to a major media machine.
There was a time when I could find Podcasts on just about any subject and it was good.
But once deals and money start entering the conversation, Things always go according to a 'plan'.
If you like deep-dives on specific games, I'd recommend Watch Out for Fireballs and Cane & Rinse as video game podcasts to listen to.

Each of the hundreds of episodes spends about 2 hours going through a single game.

WOFF is a much more entertaining listen. I don't agree with their politics, which seeps into episodes more than I'd like, but they're funny, friendly guys.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

There's countless numbers available, just gotta find someone you liked.

Most of the reason I listened to Giantbomb was Gerstmann, soon as he left I dropped GB and started listening to his show weekly. Took a little time to adjust to it being one guy speaking into a microphone, but I love it now, no constant people talking over one another, less dumb non video game stuff.

DaGwaphics

I can't go there after they use the site to push their political agenda. Especially, when they ask you to read how you can stop the evil people who share the opposite opinion on certain topics, nost of which I am one of.

I left because the forums got a lot less active and moderation wasn't very good (they were not removing bot posts at one point so all the threads had, "I earned $200 an hour from home" type posts in them). I don't associate gaming with politics so much, so I would have just ignored anything political over there or here. Haven't posted over there since the X1 launch.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Karak Karak has a good podcast.

AmuroChan

Shouldn't be hard at all. There are tons of independent gaming podcasts out there.

Brute

Why do we still have Giant Bomb AND GameSpot? They're the same sites with more or less the same staff.

GameSpot should just merge with Giant Bomb, keep the GameSpot name as it's more popular I'd imagine and just put Giant Bomb out of its misery. That site has been dying a very slow and very painful death for years now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom