• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostwire Tokyo | Review Mega Thread

fart town usa

Gold Member
As I once said in another thread, this game should have been a PS VR 2 game. It would have been super unique and proper AAA.

This combat with haptic feedback would have been cool. Imagine doing different types of finger movements to conjure different abilities and combat moves -- that would have been possible with PS VR 2 finger tracking.

Anyway ...

Now, Sony, give us a PS VR 2 first-person Doctor Strange game with similar mechanics. ❤️
I'll definitely give it a go in cinematic mode on PSVR. It was pretty effective with Village and Powerslave. Expecting the same with Ghostwire.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Game didn't look very interesting to begin with. Mikami caught lighning in a bottle with Resident Evil but was never able to replicate that quality. Money saved.
That's one of the things that is misapplied whenever Mikami's name is attached to a project, especially Ghostwire. He didn't direct the game, only served in a producer role.

Mikami has made it clear in various interviews over the years that he doesn't really want to direct stuff anymore, he wants younger people on his team to have that opportunity and he serves as a mentor/producer. Basically the same thing that happened to him with the first Resident Evil, he was being mentored by Tokuro Fujiwara, the first producer and godfather of RE.

It doesn't help that the gaming press jumps at anything with Mikami's name attached and Bethesda always has him involved in interviews (it helps to sell the game). I feel like people just need to be aware that this isn't a Mikami game.

Last edited:

GenericUser

That's one of the things that is misapplied whenever Mikami's name is attached to a project, especially Ghostwire. He didn't direct the game, only served in a producer role.

Mikami has made it clear in various interviews over the years that he doesn't really want to direct stuff anymore, he wants younger people on his team to have that opportunity and he serves as a mentor/producer. Basically the same thing that happened to him with the first Resident Evil, he was being mentored by Tokuro Fujiwara, the first producer and godfather of RE.

It doesn't help that the gaming press jumps at anything with Mikami's name attached and Bethesda always has him involved in interviews (it helps to sell the game). I feel like people just need to be aware that this isn't a Mikami game.
You are right. Still, it's annoying to use Mikamis name to sell a game. Feels like they didn't have confidence in their own product.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You are right. Still, it's annoying to use Mikamis name to sell a game. Feels like they didn't have confidence in their own product.
100% agree. It's misleading and takes away from the Director, we all know what Mikami is about. I'd like to learn more about the other people involved who had a larger role in shaping the game itself.

Had to get the early access release. Couldn't resist the mystery/investigative aspect of the game. That is seriously what sold me, also the ghost folk lore stuff too. I adore Japanese/Asia Horror. Gameplay does look somewhat underwhelming but the thought of exploring a ghost filled Tokyo has really got me interested.

I'll definitely be posting my thoughts.

0wVEknk.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
So is anyone going to grill Stevivor this time since their score overshoots everyone elses?

Or that site only gets criticized when they underscore games?
I think the argument is that he has overrated most Xbox games and under rated PS ones - this is a PS game but obviously a MS studio.

Personally I don’t give a fuck and think it’s funny.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally still excited to play this, I like what they are going for here. Even original Evil Within had its flaws but that didn't stopped me from enjoying the game.

John Wick

So is anyone going to grill Stevivor this time since their score overshoots everyone elses?

Or that site only gets criticized when they underscore games?
They have a very obvious and transparent pattern. Sony games are low or average. MS related games are all good and highly rated.
This was expected as MS own Tango

Why is there always one fucking moron with a 10/10 review score? Metacritic should implement a system that does not aggregate outliers.
The day Metacritic does that is the day i stop caring for them. No censorship of reviews or scores just because they aren't in line with all the others, that just fucking stupid.

NickFire

This will end up being a game that would have sold a ton more units if it shipped 4 months earlier. I might give it a try when its dirt cheap on a future sale. If it came out right before Halloween I probably would have already beaten it. That was a thirsty quarter. Now everything gets compared to Elden Ring. Times changed quickly.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Not gonna lie, I don't know who this is supposed to appeal to... It tries to be a horror game, but it doesn't look or play like one. Really weird proposition for a game, might bite when it's on sale for less than $10

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Jeremy at ACG didn't like it very much. I've watched a few reviews of it, and it feels like reviewers are being very kind to the game. I've heard lines like "The enemies are few, the gameplay gets repetitive, it feels like they wasted an open world... but the game is still very fun." And I'm like wait, what?

I pre-ordered it, so I'm going to give it a shot, but based on the reviews I feel like this isn't going to be a game I like very much.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Wow lower scores than I expected. This game looked interesting to me where Deathloop looked terrible. The scores for both games are swapped from what I originally thought they'd be. I'll be interested to see what GAF thinks of the game and I'll still try it when it comes to Game Pass.

it really is shocking how many people on here actually still care about review scores... I would have hoped only uninformed casuals actually still listen to what these wannabe critics have to say that have at times been exposed in the past to not even finish games they review or that completely ignored vital parts of them.

video game reviews are useless and should be ignored. that is especially true for reviews released on embargo day by mainstream outlets that rush out reviews because they need to be there day 1 with all the other reviews in order to garner clicks

screenshot_20220321-1srku4.jpg

just a reminder than the way better Evil Within 1 had a way lower score than the dogshit sequel... why? because the sequel was a homogenised game that was stripped of everything unique the first game had to offer, and in doing so became more mass compatible, which critics like because they don't have to actually think while playing.

never mind that the sequel had terrible controls with a shitload of input latency and awful aim acceleration, awful enemy design and boring Leveldesign

it was more mainstream compatible, and so it got an 80% average while the way better first game only reached a 73% :)

screenshot_20220321-1bkjiv.jpg
You're probably right. I'm still looking forward to Ghostwire: Tokyo regardless of the impressions in OP

Right when some of the reviews mentioned tedium and repetitive missions, I said to myself, must be open world. Sure enough it’s open world. I was hoping it was linear and with structured, tightly designed missions, but it seems like it’s not. I still plan on checking it out because I think it looks really interesting, but that’s disappointing for me mostly because I’m really getting tired of open world games.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Jeremy at ACG didn't like it very much. I've watched a few reviews of it, and it feels like reviewers are being very kind to the game. I've heard lines like "The enemies are few, the gameplay gets repetitive, it feels like they wasted an open world... but the game is still very fun." And I'm like wait, what?

I pre-ordered it, so I'm going to give it a shot, but based on the reviews I feel like this isn't going to be a game I like very much.
GI and Noisypixel have some good reviews that point out the games shortcomings but also explain why they really like it.

I think it honestly comes down to, "Do you like J-Horror and the thought of exploring a virtual Tokyo filled with ghosts?"

That's why I'm getting it, the combat does look underwhelming to me but it seems to offer a unique experience that I can't pass up.

I plan on making an Early Access Impressions thread tomorrow (if there isn't one already). Plan on waking up early and getting a few hours into it before work. Not gonna stay up til midnight+ to play it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It blows my mind that a 76 rated opencritic game is being treated as a bad game here.
Yea, it's a bummer.

Ghostwire looks like a unique game and it's from a first-time director under the guidance of Shinji Mikami. It's pretty sad that so many people are willing to just shit on it without actually playing it.

And maybe I won't even like the game but still, I'm willing to give it a chance before I write if off completely.

Zathalus

Higher score than any Sony exclusive for ps4 or ps5. The highest score he gave a Sony exclusive is 85 i think? Not sure...
They gave Ratchet and Clank a 9.

it really is shocking how many people on here actually still care about review scores... I would have hoped only uninformed casuals actually still listen to what these wannabe critics have to say that have at times been exposed in the past to not even finish games they review or that completely ignored vital parts of them.

video game reviews are useless and should be ignored. that is especially true for reviews released on embargo day by mainstream outlets that rush out reviews because they need to be there day 1 with all the other reviews in order to garner clicks

just a reminder than the way better Evil Within 1 had a way lower score than the dogshit sequel... why? because the sequel was a homogenised game that was stripped of everything unique the first game had to offer, and in doing so became more mass compatible, which critics like because they don't have to actually think while playing.

never mind that the sequel had terrible controls with a shitload of input latency and awful aim acceleration, awful enemy design and boring Leveldesign

it was more mainstream compatible, and so it got an 80% average while the way better first game only reached a 73% :)

Yes agree sometimes you cannot trust reviews there is no way Evil within 2 is better than the 1st game

TonyK

I was hyped for the game until recently, when I discovered, dumb of me, that Mikami wasn't the director.

You're not wrong. That being said the 73 MC score seems pretty accurate. Even though most reviewers these days are corrupt hacks, there is still importance in checking out a bunch of reviews when you're thinking of getting something that you know little about. Don't ever take these review scores as fact is all. Use them as part of getting a clearer picture of a game. It's part of the info gathering process.

TEW2 had awful controls, bad Leveldesign, generic gameplay, generic art style and bad enemy design.

TEW1 had unique game mechanics with more depth, way better controls without aim acceleration and about half the input latency, a better art style, better enemy design and better level design

TEW2 was a more generic game with worse design designed to cater to the masses by throwing everything out the window that could be seen as not casual friendly
The aiming in evil within 2 SUCKS!!

Top Bottom