• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostwire Tokyo Features 6 Graphical Modes on PS5

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
6 modes?

Oh My God Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

I don't get the issue.
Can't you just start up the game and hit play? Most games default to a specific mode or at most it will ask you which one you want. It's no different than any initial options like difficulty or screen brightness.

There's not such thing as a curated perfect experience on console. With limited hardware devs will always have to make compromises, now they are just letting you choose which area you want to compromise.
Seriously! The argument he's making makes 0 sense. Don't want to have to go into settings? DONT! Use the default option! Having the option to tweak settings hurts you NONE. If you have a 3080 you should understand why we want more options. You seem to be living in an imaginary bubble thinking that by having no options, all your worries will not exist.

Quality modes are just a silly concept on consoles. On PC it makes sense due to the amount of possible hardware combinations available.

On console ideally it should already be as performant as possible since developers have a fixed set of hardware specs to work with.
In a vacuum maybe but the days of simple machines and crts are long gone. We have to worry about what kind of TV, whether you have VRR tv, do you prefer framerate or resolution etc

I agree that quality vs performance is dumb. There should be a full suite of options just like PC. These consoles are PCs anyway.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't get the issue.
Can't you just start up the game and hit play? Most games default to a specific mode or at most it will ask you which one you want. It's no different than any initial options like difficulty or screen brightness.

There's not such thing as a curated perfect experience on console. With limited hardware devs will always have to make compromises, now they are just letting you choose which area you want to compromise.
If I do that, I will possibly play the inferior way F Feel Like I'm On 42 ...
Now I need to watch df video and analysis to help me decide what mode is the best... and by best, I mean, the one which compromises I am more comfortable with.
It's a game of compromises and makes me feel like I am always loosing something. And full pc settings on consoles without rtss overlay? no.
There is such a thing as perfect curated experience on a console. It's a game devs ship... perfectly tuned for THAT console in a way that does not make me aware oft he obvious compromises they of course had to make.

Anyway - just get a fucking pc and let console be a simple, just play console. YES, WITH THAT CURATED EXPERIENCE.
There is nobody stopping any of you from getting super good pc and cranking all the settings. You don't have to bring this pc and settings misery to consoles too.
Besides - by making the game in 1 way (the vision) and focusing on the technical design, you can create games like tlou2 on very weak hardware. If they had to offer you all the options in the world, I bet they could not optimize it like that. Then all the console sauce is gone since you are just putting a pc game on low/med hardware...
edit: some edits

Last edited:
Ghostwire-Tokyo-preview-screenshots-7-1536x864.png

For PS5 gamers out there wishing there was a bit more options outside of the standard performance and quality modes most games ship with, you’ll be happy to learn that Ghostwire Tokyo is launching with a total of six graphical and performance modes.

Quality Mode

With quality mode, you can expect Ghostwire Tokyo to run at a capped 30fps at 4K* resolution. Additional features such as Ray-tracing reflections are enabled, as well as other graphical improvements. This is the mode recommended for those who prefer quality above performance.

Performance Mode

With performance mode, Ghostwire Tokyo will run at a capped 60fps. This comes at the cost of resolution, as well as the loss of real time Ray-tracing in favor for spatial reflection along with other graphical details. This mode is ideal for those who favor performance above all else, and are looking for a near locked 60fps experience.

High Frame-Rate Quality Mode

Using 30fps as its baseline, High Frame-Rate quality mode is like quality mode, only with the removal of the frame cap. This means you should expect to see performance running between 40-50fps generally.

As good as that may sound, I actually don’t recommend playing with this mode for one very good reason, that being screen tearing. HFR Quality Mode suffers severely from screen tears during gameplay that it was instantly noticeable upon turning this mode on. Sadly, that same screen tearing mode also appeared in the performance variation of this mode.

High Frame-Rate Performance Mode

Like performance mode, High Frame-Rate performance mode in Ghostwire Tokyo targets 60fps as the baseline, but is able to go higher since it’s uncapped. From our testing, we generally saw performance hitting above 60FPS, however dips from those higher counts were noticeable. And like the HFR quality mode, HFR performance also suffered from severe screen tearing.

Note: Tango Gameworks has acknowledged to us around the screen tearing issues surrounding HFR quality and HFR Performance modes. We do know a patch will be released prior to launch to address some issues, so this may change.

High Frame-Rate Quality Mode With V-Sync/High Frame-Rate Performance Mode With V-Sync

The final two modes are the same as HFR quality and HFR performance only with V-Sync enabled. These are actually the modes I recommend as testing showed that those screen tearing issues were essentially absent. Now HFR performance mode with V-Sync still saw some dip spikes, but at least the screen tearing was mostly gone.

Of the two modes, however, I do recommend opting for HFR quality with V-sync as it felt like the better experience overall. It’s comparable to Resident Evil Village 45fps RT mode, or even to that of both Spider-Man and Ratchet and Clank performance RT modes. You do sacrifice a bit of the image quality as we assume the resolution is targeting lower than 4K, but that is really hard to tell during actual gameplay.

That's awesome I've been asking for something like this for a long time. Let me have an uncapped mode that allows VRR and future hardware like the PS5 to shine.

Esca

More options is always welcomed
Maybe we can dream that games might start getting some sliders to really adjust to your preference

SomeGit

I don't get the issue.

Nah man, the other day I went into Elder Ring and it had 100 sound volume options, like WTF devs just assume the ideal sound level.
It even had a subtitles option, I bet if they cut that option the game would be able to run at 4K60.

• LOL
Reactions: Fbh

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Quality modes are just a silly concept on consoles. On PC it makes sense due to the amount of possible hardware combinations available.

On console ideally it should already be as performant as possible since developers have a fixed set of hardware specs to work with.
Dumbest thing ive read in this thread......nahh im lying the whole first party thing takes it.....but seriously:
Fixed hardware doesnt mean fixed opinions on what matters more.

Some people want 60fps some people want 30fps, some people want 120fps.

The 30fps mode is as performant as the developers could get it.
The 60fps mode is as performant as the developers could get it.
The 120fps mode is as performant as the developers could get it.

So even with fixed hardware the devs got the game as performant as they could, just at different levels of visual quality and/or framerate.

Whats the issue?

gamer82

I’ll be happy with the best 4k gameplay it's the reason i got ps5.

All these options🙄 just make a mode for ps4 that looks and plays the best and the same goes for ps5 max out the power and graphics at stable rates

Whats the point in performance mode / quality mode if the game still runs bad feels like a box checking excersice.

quality mode on dl2 for the ps5 is rough so why bother 🥱 its frustrates players wanting to enjoy a seamless play through

dl2 isn’t exaclty a looker compared to likes of horrizon f west. So why the struggles on next gen when its a cross platform . Whats the point of a ps5 version if its not the best performance and visually.

Are we going to have any games that are built specifcally for ps5 and can the ps5 run 4k 60hz AAA games or is that off the cards.

Last edited:

Banned
I dont want to do this. I also have 3080 pc and ps5. I sometimes choose ps5 just becaues I want to play the game and ignore all the other stuff.
I enjoy console experience.
I want to be give the best, prepped experience.

It is not about settings being hard or difficult to set up. Not about that at all.
I don't want to be bothered, it's a console. I want curated, perfect exeperience.
If there are all the options, we need framerate counter, vrr, fps limiters and detailed settings. You cant have settings without fps and gpu% counter

again, you aren't getting the best experience because developers can evidently not be trusted.
and at least on Xbox I have a framerate counter by way of my TV's freesync display

you actually prefer unstable framerates and awful looking image quality due to bad developer choices over the option to tweak them? why? I get that it's simpler but it also is clearly suboptimal.

Elden Ring with a proper options menu would inarguably be better than the locked modes we have now. the culprit of the bad performance is most likely an option that dynamically adjusts quality based on a predetermined performance goal... simply having the option to turn that shit off and set shadow quality a setting lower wouls most likely lock it to 60fps... but the version we got almost never holds 60fps due to developers not providing the best possible settings for the consoles the game runs on.

2 presets and a hidden menu for experienced users would fix many issues in many games. outlets like digital foundry could even give out 100% perfectly optimised settings like they already do on PC but even to a way more precise degree due to the fixed hardware.
they could literally release videos showcasing perfect settings for locked 30fps, locked 40fps, locked 60fps or locked 120fps... maybe settings for VRR users too that are close to 60 but never below 48fps, stuff like that.

the console experience would be vastly improved for many titles and for people that don't care there would still be the standard mode/modes

Top Bottom