• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon game to be revealed tomorrow?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This is a rumor for now

Reveal is tomorrow, so we will be fixed very soon:
▪️The game is in development at Ubisoft Paris.
▪️The development of the game has just started, the project has been approved very recently by the management.
▪️The game runs on a new version of the studio's engine and is aiming for a release on nextgen and PC for sometime in late 2023 at the earliest.
▪️The game is set in modern Vietnam
-A very important character in the game is called Van Dao.
▪️In the context of the story, everyone who has seen his face must die.
▪️The game also features a rebel group/army (more information to come when it is official)
▪️The game's story is darker than the previous episodes.
▪️My source reported that the game presents a point of view in which you don't really distinguish who is the good guy and who is the bad guy.
▪️The game will ABANDON the system of the two previous games (RPG / Open World) for a return to a dirigiste game with missions (Point A to point B)
▪️The game still offers some freedom in approaching missions and the world is semi-open (similar to the latest God of War and Tomb Raider)
▪️The game returns to an FPS view (although it is not clear if there will be a choice of view) to make the missions more immersive and tactical, adding more realistic gameplay elements.
▪️Squad of 4 players

Be aware that not everything you've read is certain to be shown or hinted at as early as Tuesday, though it will be the broad strokes of the game and we think it will be.

Source

On the official Twitter account:

unknown.png

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Ghost Recon has turned to pure shit.

They need a full overhaul and less stupid "future tech" robots.

I need competent AI squad if I don't want to play with 3 other people.

I can't get excited about Ghost Recon anymore, it just doesn't work. I hope that Ubi some day comes to their senses, who knows maybe that day is tomorrow, but I'll remain skeptic that they aren't microtransact fucking the game until I play it.

After the abomination that is Breakpoint, I don’t trust Ubisoft with the franchise. Just go back to roots and make it realistic with properly unforgiving gunplay.

I am very interested in a return to FPS and focusing on a mission based more linear game though so I’ll keep my eyes peeled for more info on this.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Breakpoint and wildlands aren’t in the same ballpark break point doesn’t have the iconic, elements of South America that wildlands had with the genus drug cartel villain tree. A new ghost recon would be ok without the cheese from breakpoint.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Ghost Recon is similar in structure to God of War?

3ecef9f7b6f65b2016b0661964d33ca8d2976dfe.gifv
Absolutely not, he is comparing those games just for the semi open world levels you have in GoW, implying we will get semi open levels in this new Ghost Recon rather than full open world ala Wildlands/Breakpoint
And it was already the case in earliest Ghost Recon games. Would you say GR from 2001 is similar in structure to GoW? No.

Another one already?
It says the release target is late 2023 at the earliest so....

Rikkori

I'm excited to hear about the new engine, because up to now GR & Assassin's Creed shared the same one, so this might also give us some insight into what we can expect for AC (unless they fork it specifically for each game). Was also excited to hear about Vietnam because the colour palette & mood of the game would be perfect, more like Wildlands rather than the dumb ass Breakpoint and its shitty Ikea Island. On the other hand to hear them step away from open world feels lame to me, because I thought they had something really special with Wildlands and they have to just iterate on it further. They've obviously fucked up with Breakpoint but this is the wrong direction imo, especially since with The Division being on pause for 5+ years it means they won't really have a proper Ubisoft 3rd person open-world shooter.

Tbh Ubisoft had a golden period of absolute bangers for a while, the 'Assassin's Creed Odyssey / Ghost Recon: Wildlands / The Division 2 / Far Cry 5 / Watch Dogs 2'-era was them reaching some very heady heights (no matter the forum hate I hear for Ubiformula - the fans LOVED them). After that it's been nothing but busts tbh, even the darling Valhalla had a much more mixed reception in the community & sales wise they had "new records" through MTX alone rather than pure sales which were not as good, and engagement was lacklustre. Legion was fine, but sold weakly. Breakpoint was an obvious crash and burn. Their other new MP games also failed hard, and the upcoming RS Outbreak whatever game looks like more pure shite. They've really done nothing good since!

I still have high hopes for Far Cry 6 & the Massive guys have done great so far but that's still some ways away. Otherwise... pretty meh catalogue from Ubi going forward.

Shut0wen

Im calling bullshit on the trailer date, ubi never mentions anything this big on random dates and always announces the games at E3, i also know reflections aint working on it either if its confirmed true

Zoanoid33

Ubisoft has no clue how to make fun multi-player so I won't hold my breath for this one.
They could fix Wildlands and Breakpoints PVP pretty easily if it was 8v8 and less gadgets with more focus on proper map design. If they just tried to make it like a modern version of Socom they would have a pretty big following for it I think.

No shot they get Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six back to being realistic tactical shooters tho which is sad to see. They are both over the top character based shooters now that focus on gadgets/perks just like 99% of other shooting games.
I won't be surprised if they add aliens or zombies to GW at this point.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I remember breakpoint being so bad that if forced the CEO to come our of his coffin and ask the management to stop making every game the same but shit.

Have Ubisoft actually made a game since then that hasent followed there generic open world formula? I feel like it's just been the same.

I mean imagine if they went fuck it let's make SOCOM, would that not be something unique in there catalog?

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
They've fixed and changed tons of stuff in Breakpoint to make it more like Wildlands. You can turn on and off lot's of stuff, you can turn off (almost) all drones and if you're bored you can also enable Terminator cyborgs lol.

Reactions: Gp1

Dream-Knife

Banned
The market is sorely missing games like the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six. Unfortunately they've turned the franchise into military Far Cry.

Gp1

They've fixed and changed tons of stuff in Breakpoint to make it more like Wildlands. You can turn on and off lot's of stuff, you can turn off (almost) all drones and if you're bored you can also enable Terminator cyborgs lol.

I've played Breakpoint during the pandemic and it is a completely different game.
More akin to Wildland with a ton of gameplay customization options that ranges from yolo arcade shooter to a somewhat survival sim than the poor bare bone The division clone that it was at launch.

The market is sorely missing games like the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six. Unfortunately they've turned the franchise into military Far Cry.

Arma and Tarkov are there waiting to be copied...

BlackM1st

Banned
The game will ABANDON the system of the two previous games (RPG / Open World) for a return to a dirigiste game with missions (Point A to point B)
▪️The game still offers some freedom in approaching missions and the world is semi-open (similar to the latest God of War and Tomb Raider)
▪️The game returns to an FPS view (although it is not clear if there will be a choice of view) to make the missions more immersive and tactical, adding more realistic gameplay elements.
▪️Squad of 4 players
I'm out.

Brigandier

I'd take an overhaul remaster of the original and island thunder any day over the piss poor current games.

Ubi are dead to me... Recon, Rainbow, Splinter Cell RIP ☠

Rawker

I agree with those who don't want all the future tech but that's what ghost recon always was. I was a mp5 sensor bitch for my gr team when we dominated every competitive ladder. They lost me with 2, sure I followed to the Xbox and mp was never dominated by the tech until after the graw series. It sucks what they did to the series but it's understandable and pubg revitalized my love of mp for the past 4 years. I follow the gr interations but their focus after the graw series for mp has been lackluster for me and so I just follow and don't buy. I'd love for something more in the vein of 16vs16 mp focused but they are focused on a interactive co-op story driven game and so I'll just continue to follow and not buy. One day they'll hopefully go back to what made me enjoy competitive mp gaming but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

Whenever I look at a thread about a Ubisoft games most of the comments are one of 2 things, it's either "change up the formula" or "go back to the old formula" lol.

dorkimoe

was just wondering when we would get another. cant wait. I'd like a mix of open world/or straight A to b

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
my once beloved series has no clear direction. Why even use the name, just call it something else.
Go back to the original formula.
  • Slow-paced tactical FPS
  • 1 shot 1 kill
  • Large controllable AI squad
I think you’re confusing R6 with Ghost Recon.

salva

I think you’re confusing R6 with Ghost Recon.
Nah, original GR :)
Clicking waypoints on the map and being able to control different soldiers from diff squads.
1 shot 1 kill might be inaccurate, original GR was maybe 2 shots dead. Or at least injured and limping

Winkle

no thanks Ubi. Another franchise chasing the Fortnight dragon.... pile of shit. You can bury this with R6 as far as I'm concerned. Tom rolling in his grave again.

J3nga

Just another proof of how out of touch Ubi is with reality and understanding what fans want from their series. This crap is dead long before the arrival.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So what is it

A battleroyale. Doesn't neccesarily mean it is going to be bad, it just isn't what folks were hoping they would get (WILDLAND's lived in world with BREAKPOINTS gameplay).

Just another proof of how out of touch Ubi is with reality and understanding what fans want from their series. This crap is dead long before the arrival.

I think this is more a matter of UBISOFT committing to a game trend and not wanting to give up the resources invested in it. If the game has been in development for three years, this would have placed it around the apex (no pun intended) of the BR fever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom