• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint |OT| Mo'Drone warfare

Did you like Wildlands? Many are saying that it's a downgrade so I'm still on the fence about Breakpoint.

For some just never got into it, barely scratched the surface in Wildlands.

This is a totally different beast, if you loved WL, and have much love for our sEALs or movies of that type..this gm will consume you 👊💪

Unity2012

I played a lot of Wildlands, especially since the game kept adding up new features and improving over the span of its run before Breakpoint. I am loving my time with Breakpoint--only about 8-10hrs in. I am playing Solo and at times it gets crazy. I chose to minimize the UI features and guidance; and just leave the minimap. I am looking forward to the AI teammates update. I kinda enjoyed going all tactical and dealing with them on Wildlands when they helped or when the AI acted like complete idiots:messenger_grinning_sweat: Good times.

Hey Blinkin

I've got the game but not a chance to play it yet, but the beta is what sold me. I didn't hate Wildlands, but it was very meh to me. Most of the issues I had with Wildlands seemed to have been addressed in Breakpoint.

I think this will be a game I can sink my teeth into for many months.

Solarstrike

Damn this game pulled me in like no other 🤯🤤..atmosphere, toys you get to play with, tactical sEAL approach..maaaan I get goosies just talking about this..so much to do in this jewel of a gm❤🔥

Agree. After the first 45mins or so, after departing the main hub/gathering area the game really takes off in terms of immersion. Really like the minimal music thereafter which kinda reminds me of the movie "Alien" for some reason. Maybe it's the same note of the guitar "twang". A desolate feeling in an open world in which something seems "off". A mysterious force at work. Anyway, yeah. Just go somewhere away from the main camp and get lost. So where you just hear the winds, fauna, nature. The way the light shines through the trees or the mist upon the ground in a swamp.

Timex

Banned
I really enjoyed my time with Wildlands but this game is a disappointing microtransaction filled mess.

Stitch

Gold Member
So wait, the AI team is gone from Wildlands? That was one of my favorite things, I love the tactical squad stuff.
At first they said there wouldn't be any, but people complained and Ubi said it will launch with AI teammates.. But then a few days before launch they said that AI teammates aren't ready and they will keep working on them... so right now no AI team.

Hey Blinkin

I hope the AI teammates will be optional.

I didn't mind them in Wildlands. They were basically the human version of animal companions in Far Cry Primal.

I mostly only used them to sync shot, but otherwise I had them stay put as I infiltrated each base alone.

dont let the crying outcry of microtransactions stop you from picking this up. You get tons of in game gear without the need to buy anything with real money. That stuff is optional. So much content in this game and the gameplay is prob the best tactical open world game we have had this generation.

dont let the crying outcry of microtransactions stop you from picking this up. You get tons of in game gear without the need to buy anything with real money. That stuff is optional. So much content in this game and the gameplay is prob the best tactical open world game we have had this generation.

I honestly loved the beta and stuff like MTX and glitches day 1 is honestly par for the course for games nowadays. The level to which this one is being slammed makes me believe they didn't send out enough moneyhats or didn't put critics up in nice hotels or some shit. It's really weird how negative the coverage has been for an honestly fun as hell game with gorgeous visuals. We had to endure places like Forbes and Gaming Bolt calling Gears 5 the best looking game ever made but no one is saying anything of the sort for this? Why? It's honestly breath-taking much of the time. Dudes like CrowbCat survive on showing off technical flaws and what-have-you but he does it to everything, he did GTA V being worse than GTA IV for instance, but like... how many people actually prefer GTA IV? I take him as a commentary on the zeitgeist and don't let it influence what I do or don't play. Is this game's direction good for gaming as a medium? In many ways no, but I'm just a person who wants to enjoy myself.

vypermajik

I'm about 10 hours in (PS4 Pro) and I've had zero issues. Sure, I get the occasional bug (usually on a new session my gun takes about 15 seconds to load in -or- sometimes character dialogue gets cut off in the last word or two), but other than that, absolutely zero issues. I like the game play loops, including the drones and helicopters you need to hide from, scavenging flowers / materials to buff yourself at the bivouac, and unlocking a slew of weapons to pick from. For kicks, I took my low level character to one of the Wolf Outposts and took out three of them in stealth before I was one-shotted. So it's possible to "hang" in the tough zones as long as you don't get shot back!

But why the hate for this game - I don't know. Oh well. Enough of my defense on this - I'm clearly in the majority! - but back to the fight. :)

Lanrutcon

I'm about 10 hours in (PS4 Pro) and I've had zero issues. Sure, I get the occasional bug (usually on a new session my gun takes about 15 seconds to load in -or- sometimes character dialogue gets cut off in the last word or two), but other than that, absolutely zero issues. I like the game play loops, including the drones and helicopters you need to hide from, scavenging flowers / materials to buff yourself at the bivouac, and unlocking a slew of weapons to pick from. For kicks, I took my low level character to one of the Wolf Outposts and took out three of them in stealth before I was one-shotted. So it's possible to "hang" in the tough zones as long as you don't get shot back!

But why the hate for this game - I don't know. Oh well. Enough of my defense on this - I'm clearly in the majority! - but back to the fight. :)

Just reached ilevel 100 tonight, cleared out an entire zone doing it. I've run into at least 3 game breaking bugs, and a dozen or so minor bugs. I'm enjoying it, but it's the buggiest AAA game I've ever seen. Even the fucking benchmark is bugged: gives me an A rating at a constant 60 fps. Then I go into the game and it runs at 20 fps until I tone down the settings. Don't get me started on physics issues, the UI bugging out or how absolutely blurry the game is until you turn off temporal injection.

Over half the skins and clothing from the previous are now behind a paywall. You have a shitton less customization options than before.

Siri

Banned
If anyone liked the original DayZ (immersion factor), or games where you just roam around and explore, even just mindless shoot and loot, it's really good stuff. You do not NEED to buy anything from the in-game store. Also, you collect money in game to BUY things from the store since (or sell your items for currency) there is no actual vendor/shops from what i've seen so far. People need to stop labeling and/or falsely accusing games for things that aren't even true. I think this game is spectacular for what it does. In that, the details in the game graphically, are incredible. The wind over the grass, the way the fauna and vegetation moves about you. The thunderstorms and lightning, the lighting of the world and it's day to night changes. Also, the way you can hide from enemies, especially drones adds a unique tone to the game. There are enemies that seem like they are straight from Metal Gear whom are mysterious and will hunt you down if you cause trouble. There's giant robotic horrors which guard area(s) and will decimate you if you aren't prepared.

Playing coop/squad is a riot and is probably the best way to play the game. I'm level 20, just found my first purple/epic piece of gear. I just pick a place on the map and go to it. The UI is a bit of a nightmare to navigate and i'm just figuring out the questing aspect. Mainly playing solo with a drop-in into coop multiplayer now and then. There's a lot of different vehicles but i think the airplanes are missing which kinda sucks. Hopefull they add in something like a glider, gyro-copter, etc. If anyone likes the first game or just exploring around and shooting and looting, you'll have your hands full with Breakpoint. Playing it on PC is really giving my rig a challenge. Either the game is a resource hog, not optimized, or my system is already showing it's age. Anyhow, here's the breakdown;

B7b6r4m.png

Disable temporal injection for another 10-15 FPS.

Also, my RTX 280 Ti temperatures typically hover around 87c under load, which means the GPU is throttling. If I remove the tempered glass ‘side panel’ on my pc, my gpu temps rarely go above 75c (that’s with an aggressive fan profile). The combination of a strong overclock, and the removal of the side panel (to prevent throttling), can net me a whopping 10-15 in most games.

If you disable temporal injection and overclock then your frames will probably rise quite a bit.

Lanrutcon

So Panther drone spray is remarkably broken. I'm level 20 and I've got every passive in the skill tree, and every perk I could ever need. I've also bought all the stuff from the store you can buy with in-game credits, barring vehicles. Going to buy an attack helicopter and then...I guess credits become kinda useless? That's a lot of in-game systems that become pointless after a few days of play. It's like they couldn't decide if they wanted Division 2.5 or Wildlands...so they settled for this weird middle ground.

Digity

This game is a big improvement in almost all aspects compared to WL. Thing is, people who didn't like Wildlands are probably not going to like this one. These people are back again reviewing Breakpoint. This game is for the people who enjoyed Wildlands. And they did an amazing job imo.
I gave up on Wildlands pretty quickly, Breakpoint on the other hand is a much better game all around.

GameSpot's Ghost Recon Breakpoint Review: 4/10

Wow, these reviews are massacre. Can’t remember last time AAA big-budget game got destroyed by reviewers like this. Maybe The Order? Humiliating for Ubisoft but I’m sure it will still sell well, they always do.

I, personally, didn’t get the sense it was that bad from the last beta. It was rough around the edges but pretty fun overall. Could even see myself buying it when it’s cheaper.

Wow, these reviews are massacre. Can’t remember last time AAA big-budget game got destroyed by reviewers like this. Maybe The Order? Humiliating for Ubisoft but I’m sure it will still sell well, they always do.

I, personally, didn’t get the sense it was that bad from the last beta. It was rough around the edges but pretty fun overall. Could even see myself buying it when it’s cheaper.

Learned my lesson loooooooong ass time ago not to listen to someone's else's opinion on the game..different folks different strokes, always 👊

Games a blast 🔥

Lanrutcon

Fellaz, you guys dismantle or sell everything? I gots loads of @#$%

As needed, really. You get so much crap from dismantling that you'll run out of guns types to upgrade before you run out of materials. I believe ilvl 50 gets you purple gear, and ilvl 100 gets you yellow gear. I haven't reached 150 or 200 yet, so there might be better qualities of gear.

The only really expensive things to buy are vehicles. The other stuff you'll pick up quickly, and you get so many drops that crafting your own guns isn't necessary most of the time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I loved Wildlands - but the first two hours with this second game left me cold. I’ve now spent about a dozen hours playing, and am in love with this game.

I’m too tired from a hard day at work to write a lengthy post as to why this game rocks - but, man oh man, some of you guys are really missing out.

I’ve just finished visiting the parliament buildings, and the entire city, which was huge, diverse, and detailed, was just dripping with atmosphere. I spent an hour just wandering around, avoiding patrols, and killing guys from behind - loved every minute of it.

Now I’m outside a state of the art maximum security prison at night. Incredible lighting here. Just a very detailed and beautiful game.

Having played for 12 hours I feel I’ve barely scratched the surface. I’m levelling up fast, and can genuinely feel my character getting more powerful as I gain new skills.

Also, anyone who thinks this is The Division 2.5 has no idea what they’re talking about. Enemies aren’t sponges. You can take anyone down immediately. You can immediately go anywhere on the island. The island is vastly bigger, and way more diverse, than anything you’ll see in The Division. It’s a terrible comparison. This is Wildlands 2, no doubt about it.

So I'm ten hours in and I still can't figure out how to use binoculars or sync shot using my drone. :(

Is it bad I don't want to take the time to find out....lol

Lanrutcon

So I'm ten hours in and I still can't figure out how to use binoculars or sync shot using my drone. :(

Is it bad I don't want to take the time to find out....lol

Sync shots are now consumable items. Little attack drones. Equip em, then highlight an enemy (I just use gun sights) and activate the item to mark the target.

Finished up the story last night. So many loose ends. On the one hand, it means the story will continue and there's reason to come back to the game in the future.
But on the other hand, it kinda feels incomplete and rushed.

Still, I had a decent time with the game despite the bugs and identity crisis that it has (can't decide if it wants to be Ghost Recon, Division, or generic looter shooter #75109741).

6.5/10

Edit: Regarding the upcoming Terminator content (ending spoilers):
I'm a bit perturbed by the fact that the drone AI in this game is basically going to become Skynet. I'm no stickler for canon (especially Ghost Recon canon), but this seems a bit lazy IMO. Hopefully it's not as directly connected as it seems, but at the moment, it feels like a page right out of Terminator 3's script (Skynet was a virus in that one).

Last edited:

autoduelist

I'm maybe 3 hours in.

Honestly, so far i would have rathered a new country in the old engine. I miss setting up sync shots. There does seem to be a sync shot you can set up with drones.

Not digging the 'hub' with other people running about like in some other multiplayer games.

Weapons feel like loot. Menus still feel a but overwhelming.

They captured some real magic with the last one, and i was hoping they would build on that. Instead, it feels lkke they didn't quite understand what made the last one so good.

Still having fun... just not the game i was hoping for.

I'm maybe 3 hours in.

Honestly, so far i would have rathered a new country in the old engine. I miss setting up sync shots. There does seem to be a sync shot you can set up with drones.

Not digging the 'hub' with other people running about like in some other multiplayer games.

Weapons feel like loot. Menus still feel a but overwhelming.

They captured some real magic with the last one, and i was hoping they would build on that. Instead, it feels lkke they didn't quite understand what made the last one so good.

Still having fun... just not the game i was hoping for.

I'm right there with you. I'm enjoying it, but if they would have just put the effort of this games graphics and story with the last games systems it would have been a giant leap forward. Instead, I can't get used to it and I'm 10 hours in. Fun, but not what I was expecting from the new Ghost Recon.

Well. I found the binoculars. Why the hell did they make you have to equip it as an item. See it's the little things where they went backwards.

Now let me go prone camo in five minute increments to continue the story.
wink.gif

sol_bad

I haven't played this and will never play this. All the footage that I have seen is more than enough to make a decision about this crappy game.
How can anyone that played and enjoyed the original Ghost Recons or even Advanced Warfighter want to play through this shit?

We always complain about games media being too easy on games and that there is always a huge disparity between media and users. Now that they are doing their job properly for this game people are saying they are overreacting? What?

As for the people that say not to worry about the microtransaction bullshit. Think about it. First there was AC: Odyssey, people were like, "nah ignore the microtransactions". Now look at this games bullshit, it's Odyssey x20. If you sit there and still say it's A-OK because it can be ignored, the next game is going to be x80 and they'll really fuck you in the arse.
bleh

I haven't played this and will never play this. All the footage that I have seen is more than enough to make a decision about this crappy game.
How can anyone that played and enjoyed the original Ghost Recons or even Advanced Warfighter want to play through this shit?

We always complain about games media being too easy on games and that there is always a huge disparity between media and users. Now that they are doing their job properly for this game people are saying they are overreacting? What?

As for the people that say not to worry about the microtransaction bullshit. Think about it. First there was AC: Odyssey, people were like, "nah ignore the microtransactions". Now look at this games bullshit, it's Odyssey x20. If you sit there and still say it's A-OK because it can be ignored, the next game is going to be x80 and they'll really fuck you in the arse.
bleh

I've been playing the franchise since its inception, literally, I'm an older dude and I still thought the beta for this was fantastic. We always complain that the media doesn't get games and reviews games based off not beating them or something else. Not sure it's just them being positive though there was the era where all AAA games received 7-10 on Metacritic without fail. We consider this an overreaction as people who are playing the game and enjoying it, it's kinda hard for someone who hasn't played it to tell us we're wrong, isn't it?

MTX is in most games, not sure why we need to attack this game harder than any other game with MTX. If they had made human enemies bullet sponges so you need better loot drops to kill them I might get it as that's an incentive to buy MTX but they didn't do that, human enemies without any covering on their heads tend to go down in 1 shot with any gun especially if you're stealth. They didn't forsake the tactical experience to add tiered loot systems and MTX. They did add things like drones, tanks and other such shit that's harder to deal with without better weaponry, though. But really, if you haven't played it and never will why even post in the thread to tell us we shouldn't enjoy the game?

sol_bad

The next game might involve bullet sponge enemies.

That's why I post. The more shit these devs get away with the higher chance a game I am interested in gets fucked over. EA used the make a ton of great games, now they have nothing, same with Activision. Soon it will be Ubi.
I'm worried what BGE2 is going to be like. A MTX filled busy work game that is not story focused.

That's why I post. The more shit these devs get away with the higher chance a game I am interested in gets fucked over. EA used the make a ton of great games, now they have nothing, same with Activision. Soon it will be Ubi.
I'm worried what BGE2 is going to be like. A MTX filled busy work game that is not story focused.

Trust me, look at Metacritic, they're getting plenty of shit for what they're doing.

Phase

Agreed. These companies are killing my love of gaming, and that's not an overstatement. So many good series' are being ruined. My favorite genre, arena fps, is basically dead because it's a hard genre to monetize and game companies won't take a chance on them. Give me games meant to be enjoyed for their creativity and love, not how much they can milk from consumers.

Cravis

So on the fence with this one. I’ve jumped back into Wildlands and am having a blast. Just finished up the Oracle missions that set up this one.

It’s Ubisoft so I know they will stick with it and improve it.

So I think I'm done with this game for a bit. I've put about 15 hours in and while I want to see what happens with the story, nothing new is really happening. The weapons really don't matter, and the UI has been a mess. I think what finally broke me was heading to the next mission and I couldn't for the life of me find the marker on the map. After spending about 10 minutes zooming in and out I finally found it. Hopefully we get some patches and updates soon or they just revamp the UI all together. Ubi has been great with their support with games recently so there is hope, right.

Cranberrys

bleh

I Don't know about Breakpoint but I can assure you that I finished Odyssey and both DLC without buying anything from the in-game store and never felt the need to do so, even on Hard, Odyssey isn't a difficult game and the things you find in-game are more than enough to beat the game without Breaking a sweat. Based on that experience (and AC Origins) I consider that microtransactions in Ubi games to be well done. Now maybe on their other games, they force you somehow to buy stuff but that's certainly not the case in Odyssey or Origins.

Top Bottom