• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint open beta set for September 26 to 30

Mista

Banned

An open beta for Ghost Recon: Breakpoint will run from September 26 to 30 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, Ubisoft announced.

Additionally, the company released a new live-action trailer titled “Squad Up” featuring rapper Lil Wayne and directed by David Leitch of Minted Content. A television commercial version of the trailer will also air during “key television moments” including Thursday Night Football on October 3 and WWE SmackDown on October 4.
Gematsu

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Just loaded it up to give it a whirl.

Everything defaulted to Very High at 1920x1080.

It looks like absolute garbage. Everything is muddy, the textures look terrible, the vegetation and trees look like something from 5 years ago. I had to stop and wait a while because I thought it was texture pop-in and things were still loading. Nope. I've been playing a lot of MHW lately, so the difference is insanely jarring.

I've capped it at 60 fps, and it drops to around 20 when you look at certain environmental objects. Like literally from 60 to 20, just by turning the camera slightly left and having <object> in your LOS. Those red flares a few steps from where you start? 20 fps if the one in the door is in my field of view.

Last edited:

Digity

It looks like absolute garbage. Everything is muddy, the textures look terrible, the vegetation and trees look like something from 5 years ago. I had to stop and wait a while because I thought it was texture pop-in and things were still loading. Nope. I've been playing a lot of MHW lately, so the difference is insanely jarring.

I've capped it at 60 fps, and it drops to around 20 when you look at certain environmental objects. Like literally from 60 to 20, just by turning the camera slightly left and having <object> in your LOS. Those red flares a few steps from where you start? 20 fps if the one in the door is in my field of view.
It's running now? Thought they delayed it.

@#$%& !!!! I had high Hope's for this game, a Navi sEALS dream 😔..my X was so ready for 4K jungle 😥

Lanrutcon

Ok, updated impression: updated my drivers (I was 0.15 of a version behind) and restarted the game. The framedrops went away and the DOF isn't fucking everything up anymore. That being said, game definitely isn't a looker. Streaming is still causing hitches when moving fast in game (I am running off an SSD). Your character moves weirdly now, and some of the animations look pretty bad. I might need a new GPU to run this game in a way where it doesn't look...old. The new interface is bloated as all hell. Took me 5 minutes to find out how to clothe my character.

If anyone was wondering, the game took a massive move towards a Division-like experience. Enemies now have levels. Gear has levels. I wandered into the first hub and everyone was standing around like in the Division.

You guys are trippin, this game on the one X on my Oled looks incredible. Pics later...

Go to settings on put it on graphics mode

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Siri

Banned
I’m a huge Wildlands fan, but when I played this morning (for about a half an hour) something weird happened - as I played I grew more and more depressed. I could actually feel it coming on. Has this ever happened to any of you? The thing is, I still wanted to buy the game??

Oddly, I took a quick look at Sekiro last night (having bought it for the pc, but never played it) and after just 45 minutes I felt elated - and decided I would play it this weekend.

Man, gaming is weird.

Last edited:
Wait, they somehow made this less tactical than the last Ghost Recon?
Not necessarily. I'd argue that the core gameplay is more tactical (or can be, at least), but the loot system detracts from the entire experience and makes it feel like an entirely different game. A lot of people are calling this Division 3 for good reason.

_RT_

Was only able to play the last beta of this for about an hour. Looking forward to spending more time this weekend. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Not necessarily. I'd argue that the core gameplay is more tactical (or can be, at least), but the loot system detracts from the entire experience and makes it feel like an entirely different game. A lot of people are calling this Division 3 for good reason.
What about the PVP? I hope that is a return to form and very tactical.

Disappointed.

Was hoping they will expand upon Wildlands gameplay and systems which I really enjoyed. Breakpoint now looks like a poor man's Division while set in Wildlands style open world.

I will play it but not at launch. Wait for sale

GHG

Well that sucks. Not even sure if I should bother to download the beta based off that.

pr0cs

I wanted to like it but even only a couple of hours in it feels pretty grindy and the drones feel so boring, especially as enemies. The premise is okay but like a lot of ubi games these days their open world is full of busy work and forgettable encounters.
I'll probably pass, it was pretty hard to find any reason to log back in after a few hours of exploring and doing missions

Winter John

Gold Member
The first thing I noticed was my character wasn't sticking to every wall and doorway which was good. The car handling seems better from the last time too. The menus are still a mess. The stealth is bullshit due to how close the enemies are to each other. I was regularly sneaking up on patrols and stabbing one guy in the throat while his buddies stood 3 feet away not reacting at all. I expect this game will be on sale every fortnight like the Division is, so it's probably best to wait 2 weeks and pick it up for $20

I've played for about an hour and I'm not that impressed. I got to the first "hub" and like one user said reminded me of the Division. There is a reason I stopped playing Division 2. They definitely took a different approach from Wildlands which I liked very much. I will play more this weekend, but once out of the hub I really didn't feel like playing anymore. Meh.

Digity

These Division comparisons are really bumming me out. I've only gotten to that home base area in the cave. Will be playing more later.

How is it running for people playing on PC?

Got a 1080ti and a 8700k, got just about everything set to ultra at 1440p with a couple settings brought down because they made little to no difference graphic wise. Getting about 70-80 fps.

Last edited:
These Division comparisons are really bumming me out. I've only gotten to that home base area in the cave. Will be playing more later.

How is it running for people playing on PC?

Got a 1080ti and a 8700k, got just about everything set to ultra at 1440p with a couple settings brought down because they made little to no difference graphic wise. Getting about 70-80 fps.

Running on a 2080 with i7-8700 @ 1440p @ Ultra and it's running fine for me too.

The AI is atrocious though, even at higher diffiiculty levels.

Better than last Wildlands, but kinda feels like the division. Great Jungle design, lots of variety and the movement and prone camo is awesome. The shooting is not as satisfying as the new Modern Warfare but overall the game feels very tactical. I do hate the vignette effect when you are out of enemy sight, hopefully the add the ability to remove that. Anyways, some pics from 1X on graphics fidelity mode
YYj5LLE.jpg

C3WjaXc.jpg

Txc9enM.jpg

rXlrXHW.jpg

NnzsHpl.jpg

LJCLQ4E.jpg

GAgrYLw.jpg

7KrtIDf.jpg

this game is a shithole grindfest i tried the closed beta and the game revolves around getting better level gear so you can take on more powerful enemies
ubisoft forumla is fucking ridiculous tbh.

D3SCHA1N

I absolutely detest this new menu trend where we have to move a cursor around with an analog stick and hover over an option to pick it. Ubi seems to be using it more & more. Whoever started that (destiny was the first time I noticed it) needs to get kicked in the dick. Played a bit of the beta this morning on ps4, game itself feels notably more janky than wildlands imo....

get kicked in the dick. Playe
I absolutely detest this new menu trend where we have to move a cursor around with an analog stick and hover over an option to pick it. Ubi seems to be using it more & more. Whoever started that (destiny was the first time I noticed it) needs to get kicked in the dick. Played a bit of the beta this morning on ps4, game itself feels notably more janky than wildlands imo....
yea man even the graphics feel very blurry tbh

Siri

Banned
Welp at least it gives me a reason to go back and finish Wildlands. Didn’t want to burn myself out on Ghost Recon

Interesting comment.... because I really enjoyed my time with Wildlands - but as is the case with most of the games I buy, I never finished it.

Having spent some time playing the Breakpoint beta, I think I’ll return to Wildlands. I’ll definitely break down and buy Breakpoint at some point, but not at this point. LOL.

Winter John

Gold Member
Better than last Wildlands, but kinda feels like the division. Great Jungle design, lots of variety and the movement and prone camo is awesome. The shooting is not as satisfying as the new Modern Warfare but overall the game feels very tactical. I do hate the vignette effect when you are out of enemy sight, hopefully the add the ability to remove that. Anyways, some pics from 1X on graphics fidelity mode

Better than Wildlands? Wtf is this nonsense? Lol. This is the dumbest shit I've read today. How the fuck can it be better than Wildlands when it's a half assed copy of the Division? Great Jungle design? Do you have any idea what your talking about? How on earth does this game have "great jungle design?" Do you think having leaves and logs = great jungle design? Modern Warfare? Wtf has this game got to do with Modern Warfare? What the fuck are you babbling about? Have you actually played a Ghost Recon game before?

Siri

Banned
About the enemy AI - is it deliberately ‘gamey’, I wonder? Enemies will walk straight towards you, and just keep walking, even when you’re firing at them. I think it’s deliberate because I don’t remember this from Wildlands.

Anyway, I was hoping the game would become more of a ‘simulation’, but it appears that Ubisoft has gone the other way and made the game more ‘gamey’. Some people will like that. Others, like myself, will be disappointed.

That said, this isn’t the final game. Ubisoft still has about 48 hours or so to change everything.

Overall I like the game. It looks good for the most part and the environment is awesome. It’s got some issues and I hate the hub area. AI could be better.

Karak

About the enemy AI - is it deliberately ‘gamey’, I wonder? Enemies will walk straight towards you, and just keep walking, even when you’re firing at them. I think it’s deliberate because I don’t remember this from Wildlands.

Anyway, I was hoping the game would become more of a ‘simulation’, but it appears that Ubisoft has gone the other way and made the game more ‘gamey’. Some people will like that. Others, like myself, will be disappointed.

That said, this isn’t the final game. Ubisoft still has about 48 hours or so to change everything.
It may be on purpose. If it is they are going to get flayed for it. There are a huge number of games that show how to handle it correctly including their own.

Better than Wildlands? Wtf is this nonsense? Lol. This is the dumbest shit I've read today. How the fuck can it be better than Wildlands when it's a half assed copy of the Division? Great Jungle design? Do you have any idea what your talking about? How on earth does this game have "great jungle design?" Do you think having leaves and logs = great jungle design? Modern Warfare? Wtf has this game got to do with Modern Warfare? What the fuck are you babbling about? Have you actually played a Ghost Recon game before?

Dumbest shit you've read today?? You must have not read your own post. Do you normally react this emotional to things? You sound like you have really high blood pressure, maybe you forgot to take your meds today? Look, I don't have time to write an in depth review, I just wrote my initial impressions and just because you don't agree, doesn't mean you act like a dick to people just because you can hide behind your computer screen and get away with it.

Better than wildlands yes, I like the additions of prone camo, more terrain diversity, better story/cutscenes, better and more diverse animation system, better pvp to name a few. I wish the guns had as much punch as modern warfare, that game makes you feel like you are actually shooting a gun.

Now try and stay calm, take a deep breath, because it's ok if people have a different opinion than you. Life will go on kiddo

Put it on realistic difficulty. Makes a big difference

Top Bottom