• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint is getting a battlepass

Helios

Ubisoft’s upcoming tactical shooter Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint is getting a new system for earning goodies – a Battle Rewards system. Announced in a post on the Breakpoint website, the new feature appears to be like a battlepass – it will get you gaining Battle Points through two game types, which you can then spend on exclusive rewards, with plenty on offer to collect.

According to the post, the Battle Rewards System will let you earn Battle Points through finishing faction missions or Ghost War matches, and it has various tiers, with each offering access to its own exclusive goodies. Each episode in the game will have two distinct Battle Rewards phases – called Acts – introducing 50 new items to unlock, with each Act including ‘milestone’ items that every player on that tier will receive.

Best of all, it looks like there’s no chance of getting duplicate items. The post says that the items you’ll get between milestones will be picked out randomly from the set of 50, minus the milestone items themselves and ones you’ve already got. Plus, reach each tier before the Act is completed and you’ll get all 50 items – guaranteed. There are no specific details just yet on what the items might be, though.

One thing to note, however, is that there’s a cap on the number of Battle Points you can accrue each day, so it looks like you’ll need to keep heading back and getting stuck into matches if you want to nab everything on offer.
A Rewards Booster that lets you collect the rewards at a quicker pace using Ghost Coins for that Act will be available to purchase two weeks after the game’s launch, but the post says that “engaged players will always be able to unlock all of the tiers for free” through gameplay, by earning enough Battle Points.

Strider311

If they lock the Splinter Cell Blacklist suit behind this, I won’t be happy. That was my fav way to stealth through Wildlands.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Don't have a problem with a battlepass, particularly one focused on multiplayer and/or skirmish mode.

The people who play co-op or singleplayer don't want it and can safely ignore it while the people who play multiplayer competitive will have something to keep coming back to, if they want.

Not sure why people are crying about that unless they just like to cry.

Bryank75

Banned
Battlepass is the new lootbox and will be in every subscription service..... so you'll pay the sub and have to pay battlepass on top of it.
I am actually getting this game, I have it paid for and this is so so so disappointing.

Coflash

Tom Clancy games have to be the most abused IPs in existence. The polar opposite of how they started out in every way

That release / price model is disgusting. It's like you need to set an hour aside to figure out how you will be buying the game, what you will get and when you can play each of the monetized jigsaw puzzles (assuming they're included in the edition you buy).

Last edited:

Fenris Wolf

Didn't find anywhere better to post this.
As you know, We are close to the release date of Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. However, If you're a Gold Edition owner you can access the game a few days earlier.
Despite the fact that the game is in it's "Early Access" right now, The Micro-transaction Store is open to everyone and According to one redditor's research, As of right now there's around 460$ worth of items for players to purchase from that said store... Now, Based on what happened to GR: Wildlands and AC: Odyssey we clearly know this won't be the end of the story and they will keep pushing new paid content. Of course, You aren't forced to pay for any of them because as it appears, You can play to earn them, but we know how that will turn out too. (grinding for items)

Currently the situation of this game doesn't look that great. I don't know how the state of reviews and sale numbers will be but right now it looks like Breakpoint is going to have a rough time. I have participated in an Alpha and beta for BP. It didn't look good in neither of those. (Graphics wise it wasn't a bad looking title on PC tbh) but the gameplay, controls, that stupid hub, sheer amount of loot boxes in the map, the empty flat feeling map, Bad vehicle control, janky facial animations and so on... And it's not only me complaining about this game. The entire GR subreddit aside for a few people who actually enjoyed the beta are criticizing ubi. Hell, even some YT channels such as SkillUp are doing this as well...

The reveal trailer felt totally different. This RPG-Lite thing wasn't properly introduced during the reveal and the entire focus was on the new injury system and hardcore elements. But in the game i played, These stuff played a minimal role! You have this auto-regen system for health, enemies are dumb and you can easily take them out with a headshot, leaving the Bullet Sponge system useless (except for the drones) Also, I don't remember an older GR game encouraging you for playing like Rambo instead of an actual, You know, Ghost ! I just hope this company change their business model. This shit is making me worried for Watch Dogs and the Next AC. Because as of right now, It feels like GR is totally made from the ground up based on MTX crap........

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I guess I’m a little confused as to why anyone would care about this when the OT for the game itself is virtually dead?

Boss Mog

Battlepasses are great for free games like Fortnite and Apex Legends but seem extremely out of place for a full priced $60 game. I loved Wildlands but I was not happy with the Breakpoint betas. Forcing an online hub in the solo/co-op campaign is bullshit and the games has so many technical flaws and is at times quite ugly, particularly the sky and the smoke coming from the bivouacs. My friends feel the same.

Wildlands sold extremely well, even surprising Ubisoft, but I suspect Breakpoint won't fare as well.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Battlepasses are great for free games like Fortnite and Apex Legends but seem extremely out of place for a full priced $60 game. I loved Wildlands but I was not happy with the Breakpoint betas. Forcing an online hub in the solo/co-op campaign is bullshit and the games has so many technical flaws and is at times quite ugly, particularly the sky and the smoke coming from the bivouacs. My friends feel the same.

Wildlands sold extremely well, even surprising Ubisoft, but I suspect Breakpoint won't fare as well.

Sounds like this game is more like The Division and less like a Wildlands sequel?

diffusionx

Gold Member
The ways Ubisoft mangled Ghost Recon to fit it into the current looter shooter zeitgeist is really disappointing. Wildlands was a great game that stood on its own and sold extremely well - there's really no reason to add that trash to a very successful game.

Siri

Banned

Didn’t this Jimquisition guy used to post at this forum? I’m sure I’ve seen him posting at Reset Era, essentially ‘going where the numbers are’.

It’s interesting that a guy who complains so vehemently about a game having a transaction model (which can EASILY be ignored, btw - I know, because I’m playing the game right now myself) will himself sell-out by visiting a totalitarian forum simply because there are more people there.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ubisoft is great, but my sense is microtransaction, dlc etc. are a little bit overrated. Developers and publishers don't need chemistry with your wallet after you pay the initial $60.00 for the video game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Didn’t this Jimquisition guy used to post at this forum? I’m sure I’ve seen him posting at Reset Era, essentially ‘going where the numbers are’.

It’s interesting that a guy who complains so vehemently about a game having a transaction model (which can EASILY be ignored, btw - I know, because I’m playing the game right now myself) will himself sell-out by visiting a totalitarian forum simply because there are more people there.

what.. just..no

Siri

Banned
what.. just..no

Oh, I’m sorry.... Jim Sterling is still posting here?

Okay, I hadn’t realized that. Good for him. I thought he was posting at Reset Era, which obviously would’ve been for financial reasons.

Anyone who posts at that putrid little crackpot forum IS making a political statement - you’re basically engaging in groupthink, and therefore endorsing the censorship of those with dissenting opinions, the most vile activity anyone belonging to a democracy can engage in.

Obviously you can’t have it both ways: you can’t champion yourself as a defender of the public trust, and then support an organization that clearly engages in political and social repression.

My apologies to Jim Sterling.

Fenris Wolf

One thing i'd like to mention is that no one can stop others from enjoying this game and thats a fact. (I mean no one should do this tbh)
But please, Don't assume just because you aren't going to spend anything extra or that you don't care about MTX it wont affect you. In fact, It already did its job.
They built the entire game based on mtx and whether you realize it or not, We are looking at a half baked game with extreme monetizetion tactics.

sol_bad

And not only a battlepass.

Sam and Ralph have a few things to say.

Thank you stupid fucking gamers with too much money and no common sense. Ubisoft are pushing harder and harder with micro-transactions. We seriously don't have any good 3rd party AAA publishers left. I honestly have no effing clue how we got Sekiro from Activision. No doubt these games are being balanced more and more to push more and more gamers to buying additional shit on top of the $60-$100usd they already forked out.

meanwhile, Ghost Recon Breakpoint is one of the best tactical shooters ive played this gen. So many bandwagon hating reviews crying about microtransactions is a joke. The game is not grindy like assassins creed, and the microtransactions are completely optional and unneeded to "win". This is such a huge upgrade from Wildlands its not even funny.

14 hours in playing solo single player, and its only getting better.

meanwhile, Ghost Recon Breakpoint is one of the best tactical shooters ive played this gen. So many bandwagon hating reviews crying about microtransactions is a joke. The game is not grindy like assassins creed, and the microtransactions are completely optional and unneeded to "win". This is such a huge upgrade from Wildlands its not even funny.

I am enjoying it as well. Wish for better optimization on PC tho.

oagboghi2

The beta was fucking trash. “One of the best tactical shooters this gen” my ass.

Top Bottom