• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima wins TGA Players Voice award

cudiye

I just get satisfaction at the idea that Neil Druckmann, despite what he says or how he acts, is actually really upset and burning inside at the thought that people didn't appreciate his all-time masterpiece the way he thought they would. I bet he really thought he was delivering the much longed for "Citizen Kane of videogames"

Neil congratulating ghost on the win.

IQ9ZvO1.jpg

But not only that, Neil had 7 years to make a sequel to one of the best games ever made on the PS3/4 and all he ever had to do was make a decent story yet he still managed to fuck it up big time by using his own re-hashed revenge plot story that Bruce Straley shot the fuck down because of how fucking terrible it was based on a post apocalyptic driven game.

proof based on an early concept art from TLOU 1;

90RVJkd.jpg

Well look at all these bigot sandwiches....with extra mayo.

Congrats to Seventh Samurai Simulator I guess, but I think if we're being honest we all know the real GotY is Demon's Souls Remake.

And before you get on my ass about how I haven't even played Ghosts of Tsushima, don't worry, I haven't played Demon's Souls Remake either!!!

Send money

sol_bad

It’s not in the same realm as TLoU 1, that tells you all you need to know. From 17 million sold to maybe 5 million and a divided fanbase that has made the game a control point in the culture war. They should have just made a quality game and been done with it.

C'mon man, it took 5 years for TLOU1 to reach 17 million. Why would you expect TLOU2 to hit that within a few months?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
C'mon man, it took 5 years for TLOU1 to reach 17 million. Why would you expect TLOU2 to hit that within a few months?

Not a new IP anymore. That usually helps.

Not that I expected it to sell 17 million by now, mind you, but I certainly would expect the second chapter of a very successful and highly hyped franchise to sell a lot faster than the first.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Not a new IP anymore. That usually helps.

Not that I expected it to sell 17 million by now, mind you, but I certainly would expect the second chapter of a very successful and highly hyped franchise to sell a lot faster than the first.

It ...... did sell faster.
TLOU1 sold 1.3 million units within a week, TLOU2 sold 4 million units within 3 days.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It ...... did sell faster.
TLOU1 sold 1.3 million units within a week, TLOU2 sold 4 million units within 3 days.

That's far below my expectations. It means that the vast majority of those who purchased TLOU were not hyped enough to buy the second chapter at launch. Consindering the near-legendary status of the first game and the popularity of Naughty Dog, not to mention the massive marketing, I'd have expected twice as many launch sales, at the very least.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Well deserved. If The Last of Us 2 wins GOTY you just know the whole Game Awards is a sham.

When your awards are determined by 90% a jury and 10% the audience, you already know it is, regardless of who wins. Either you do one, or the other, or you separate the jury and audience award completely. It makes zero sense to mix them in an arbitrary way.

Compsiox

Banned
When your awards are determined by 90% a jury and 10% the audience, you already know it is, regardless of who wins. Either you do one, or the other, or you separate the jury and audience award completely. It makes zero sense to mix them in an arbitrary way.
I mean a lot of people were disappointed with TLOU2. Even hardcore fans. So if it wins you know it will just be for wokeness probably.

Also I kinda agree yeah. Usually they have completely separate categories for fan vote. They basically just ruined their own GOTY award probably by showing what the fans actually prefer.

Last edited:

sol_bad

That's far below my expectations. It means that the vast majority of those who purchased TLOU were not hyped enough to buy the second chapter at launch. Consindering the near-legendary status of the first game and the popularity of Naughty Dog, not to mention the massive marketing, I'd have expected twice as many launch sales, at the very least.

I think you need to be a bit more serious.
You can't expect TLOU2 to sell 10 million copies in a single weekend just because the first game sold 17+ million. Just like the first game, the vast majority of people are probably waiting for sales as they can't afford or don't want to spend $60 on a video game. And do I need to mention the pandemic that affected millions of house hold incomes around the world.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
You can't expect TLOU2 to sell 10 million copies in a single weekend just because the first game sold 17+ million. Just like the first game, the vast majority of people are probably waiting for sales as they can't afford or don't want to spend $60 on a video game. And do I need to mention the pandemic that affected millions of house hold incomes around the world.

Do you mean that pandemic that has massively boosted sales of basically every video game company in the world due to the increased demand for home entertainment?

If you really think it hurt sales, two cases: you're either ignorant and have missed every single financial report from game publishers since March 2020, or you're simply making up excuses.

You pick.

Last edited:

Woggleman

A dark themed game about a pandemic might not be what most people want these days but was Neil supposed to have a crystal ball to predict what 2020 would be like? Also the game has one of the highest completion rates of any SP game which says a lot considering most games have a very low rate.

MrFunSocks

Banned
We had people on here literally shilling for it in these awards, even a thread made about it to tell people to vote for it over TLOU2 etc.

Like I said in that topic, this is why awards like this are meaningless.

tichamac

Banned
We had people on here literally shilling for it in these awards, even a thread made about it to tell people to vote for it over TLOU2 etc.
Okay.. and? I guarantee you there were threads shilling for the joel-killer-simulator on plenty of other forums.
That's been true since the beginning of time. This hasn't really changed anything in that regard.

sol_bad

Do you mean that pandemic that has massively boosted sales of basically every video game company in the world due to the increased demand for home entertainment?

If you really think it hurt sales, two cases: you're either ignorant and have missed every single financial report from game publishers since March 2020, or you're simply making up excuses.

You pick.

Show me an example where a games sequel sells the same amount of copies as the first game within a month.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

ALL awards that involve a voting process are essentially meaningless.

Whether they're popularity contests between many customers or a bunch of critics, they're still popularity contests. Nowadays plenty of people will vote for reasons different from the quality of a game. It's simply how voting with zero accountability works.

Show me an example where a games sequel sells the same amount of copies as the first game within a month.

Cute of you to try to completely change the topic after being called on your ignorance/hubris. You still have not picked which one it is 😂

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The gaming industry is officially dead lol

sol_bad

ALL awards that involve a voting process are essentially meaningless.

Whether they're popularity contests between many customers or a bunch of critics, they're still popularity contests. Nowadays plenty of people will vote for reasons different from the quality of a game. It's simply how voting with zero accountability works.

Cute of you to try to completely change the topic after being called on your ignorance/hubris. 😂

Just an example.

Assassin's Creed
On April 16, 2009, Ubisoft revealed that the game had sold 8 million copies.

Assassin's Creed 2
According to pre-official sales estimates, Ubisoft announced that Assassin's Creed II sold 1.6 million copies worldwide during its first week of sale,

Fuuuuuck man, not even 50% of AC1 owners bought AC2 in it's first week. What dismal sales performance and a failure Assassin's Creed 2 was!!!

MagnesG

Banned
It had a bigger start during its launch month, like 4 millions I think, never charted much beyond that though. And now it's $30 on Amazon already. They could always get higher sales with more bundles and rampant price - $5 so maybe they'll get to the 17 millions numbers later. I mean Part I only managed to do that by doing so.

MagnesG

Banned
Just an example.

Assassin's Creed
On April 16, 2009, Ubisoft revealed that the game had sold 8 million copies.

Assassin's Creed 2
According to pre-official sales estimates, Ubisoft announced that Assassin's Creed II sold 1.6 million copies worldwide during its first week of sale,

Fuuuuuck man, not even 50% of AC1 owners bought AC2 in it's first week. What dismal sales performance and a failure Assassin's Creed 2 was!!!
A different AC did that.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm waiting for your to back up your outlandish thought process. It's pretty common in the gaming industry for sequels to not sell equal amount of units sold as the prequel within a month to a year of release.

It's not when they got a massively larger marketing campaign in a period in which sales are objectively bosted across the whole gaming industry, and not by a small margin. It's funny to see you continuing to sidestep so I'll just pick for you. I'd say you're just making excuses.

I don't really have a strong opinion on TLOU2, considering that it's simply not a game for me (not into zombies. And yes. They're essentially zombies), but to say that they didn't lose a bunch of fans along the way is simply denying reality that's shouting at you right in the face. Whether they made new ones, that's another issue entirely, but it's obvious that the way they went didn't help them and alienated a bunch of people.

Last edited:
You guys talking about sales need to keep one very important thing in mind, where are the TLOU2 sales updates? GOT has had 3, now, I believe. TLOU2 only had the one. If it was selling so well, Neil would be screaming its sales from the rooftops just to put those "haters" in their place. The problem is after the hyped died after the first couple of weeks, sales dropped incredibly.

It's really the same situation as the FF7 Remake. It's 2nd sales update showed sales had dropped by a significant amount after the first couple of weeks. Both games divided the fan base with controversial plot decisions.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I would say it fair vote.

Those who against homophobe surely will rally up for Tlou2. That kind of people actually very vocal and active on internet. This kind of voting might be something of their advantages

Meanwhile, others who hate these woke people attitude surely gonna vote for GoT.

So same amount of motivation there.
Also its not like GoT is bad game. I believe it worthy of the recognition. Just because this stuff happened, it no fair to downplay the game. Not to mention differences in genre, one is open world game with japanese historical sword fighting while the other is linear with zombies story. Surely people is divided as both concept widely loved and people has their own preferences over this.

Regarding to the cuckman instant regret moment, that kind of attitude not deserve any recognition. The result befitting the the moment. I say, it is a fair retribution. He reap what he sow.
Imagine if he get away with it, even win with that kind of attitude, you guys want to allow these kind of person become face of player choice for 2020? seriously are we gamers that low? i dont want to see this industry people get cocky, especially those who gained their fame. Who are they without us the players?

On other perspective, i believe there a reason why he desperate to win the award. He know how lot of people 'reject' him. Other award where has jury is entire different situation .But award like this, is totally different basically like an election, something that fall on public choice to vote. Just like how massive dissapointment that reflected on user metacritic score, he need to win this award badly to prove that he is 'accepted' by public mass audience. If he win, it mean people acknowledge his game, his idea or even his 'agenda'. He can even denied all the critism for the game. But we see the result. He should learn that people not dumb.

Last edited:
congrats to GOT and Sucker Punch. the fact that they put out a great post game content free of charge is definitely key factor too I'm sure.

like many had said, this is basically a popularity contest, so don't let it get to you too much. thou you might want to rethink about what is wrong with you when people would start a campaign to vote for another game even thou according to you it's the best game of the year. /shrug

ethomaz

Banned
You guys talking about sales need to keep one very important thing in mind, where are the TLOU2 sales updates? GOT has had 3, now, I believe. TLOU2 only had the one. If it was selling so well, Neil would be screaming its sales from the rooftops just to put those "haters" in their place. The problem is after the hyped died after the first couple of weeks, sales dropped incredibly.

It's really the same situation as the FF7 Remake. It's 2nd sales update showed sales had dropped by a significant amount after the first couple of weeks. Both games divided the fan base with controversial plot decisions.
GoT 2.4m in 3 days
GoT 5m in 4 months (milestone)

Sony will probably announce TLOU2 sales when it reached a new milestone... 10m.

Last edited:

timespace

Neo Member
I voted for TLOU2 because of it's crazy ambition, it was unlike anything I have experienced before. That said, I hated the games story. It was so sloppy compared to the first.

GoT 2.4m in 3 days

GOW and Spider-Man both had updates by this point in their lifetimes. And neither were 10M. GOW was 5M and Spider-Man was 9M. Nothing is stopping them from revealing numbers. Well, except doing so would confirm the big dropoff in sales.

MiguelItUp

Great thread. It's turned into a sales war.
Yup, "adults" arguing over which game is better. Jesus Christ you guys. It's practically a dick measuring contest in here, this is ridiculous. Both games are good, each one appeals to some people more than others. If you don't like the other one, it doesn't mean yours is better. That's your opinion. Not everyone may share that same opinion. Lmao.

Bodomism

Banned
Animal Crossing New Horizons outsold last mainline Animal Crossing in less than a month.

Smash Ultimate outsold Smash WiiU in just a couple of days in the market.

Zelda BOTW outsold Zelda Skyward Sword in a month.

Pokemon SwSh outsold Pokemon Let's Go in its first quarter.

Super Mario Odyssey outsold Galaxy 2 in its first quarter.

Bodomism

Banned
GoT 2.4m in 3 days

Gamstat

GOT = 5.8 million players - sales 5 million units.

TLOU2 = 7.2 million players - sales is probably around 6 million units.

It's going to take very long before the announcement of 10 million units milestone as the leg of TLOU2 is very poor in comparison to Spiderman, GOW, UC4, and GOT.

Umbral

I don’t. That would be unrealistic, but the projections suggest it won’t hit it in 5 years either. Without some reason to get excited about TLoU2, such as DLC, PS5 patch, or a Factions mode that requires you to own TLoU2, I don’t foresee many more copies being sold. I think it’s sales are all but over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom