• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima wins TGA Players Voice award

Bryank75

Banned
I had faith in the game before it released but it did something very special for me.... it made me excited to explore, I didn't just look at quest markers...because the side characters were so memorable to me, the mythical tales were a massive highlight for me and the duels were something I actively looked for.

Each costume was unique and beautifully designed and the general combat was an absolute joy. Just getting perfect parry's was so much fun, followed by the satisfaction of an instant kill (usually).

I hope they improve AI in the next game (we must realize how the PS4 was cpu limited) and introduce some other activities, like drinking sake, gambling, maybe some sort of horse racing etc. Just broaden the possibilities a little.

But I am so happy that GOT is getting awards, I was afraid it would get completely shut out and that wouldn't be fair IMO.

Strategize

It's sad that instead of congratulating GOT this thread will be mostly about TLOU2.
I mean to be fair, not being TLOU2 is mostly why it won. I don't mean downplay the game, but it's just the reality.

It's hard to say whether Neil fucked up by not thinking that tweet will be taken the wrong way, or if it'd would've brigaded regardless because of being able to view percentages.

I would actually bet good money that if Geoff showed the numbers for the player's vote for the main GOTY, TLOU2 would be at the top just like The Golden Joysticks one.

Last edited:

manfestival

what the fuck. I just googled it and it's legit?

Source: https://boundingintocomics.com/2020...ts-to-explain-deleted-tweet-attacking-haters/

2HV4We.jpg

nyFz3L.jpg
I know people here hate the guy but my goodness it has to be so exhausting trying to cater to everyone. It is his game... like the game is part of his body of work and he should push and promote these things regardless of what his haters/detractors say. Especially now that he has been promoted, it is probably better that he just get off of twitter period. Either way, haven't played TLOU 2 yet

-no proof of having played any of those games
-survey exploitable using a bot by anyone who followed a 3months udemy course

who is this stuff for?

that said GoT was enjoyable

hemo memo

Gold Member
People seem to really like this game, have been tempted to try it but cant shake the feeling it looks like a generic Ubisoft game I would normally avoid.

It is not. I’ve said the same exact thing when I watched that awful State of Play. Combat is fantastic and no matter how you play stealth or samurai it is fantastic. I avoided the game after that SoP but came back later bored and found it discounted and regretted not buying it earlier.

I did. And I enjoyed it. It wasn’t really a huge open world. That’s what I should have said. It was very much on rails. Sure you could go in buildings and open safes, but there were no side quests or anything. It just didn’t do it for me as much as the first one did. And it dragged on and on. That’s my main gripe.

Sorry dude, I completely misread your post and somehow thought you were talking about Ghost. Total illiteracy on my part. My bad.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Got my vote. Was a game I was very in the fence about and ended up being one of my favorites. TLOU2, Animal Crossing, FFVII Remake and Miles Morales are closer runners up for me this year. Haven’t played enough Demon’s Souls to fairly consider it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is where the critics and the gamers will diverge. GoT was a great game and a fun experience. What I want out of a game. Good on it.
eh. not really. TLOU2 was leading by a massive margin going into the final day when Neil tweeted about it to mock the game's haters and they all banded together here on gaf and on twitter to skew the poll.

Gamers who actually played both games chose TLOU2 by a big margin.

geordiemp

I had faith in the game before it released but it did something very special for me.... it made me excited to explore, I didn't just look at quest markers...because the side characters were so memorable to me, the mythical tales were a massive highlight for me and the duels were something I actively looked for.

Each costume was unique and beautifully designed and the general combat was an absolute joy. Just getting perfect parry's was so much fun, followed by the satisfaction of an instant kill (usually).

I hope they improve AI in the next game (we must realize how the PS4 was cpu limited) and introduce some other activities, like drinking sake, gambling, maybe some sort of horse racing etc. Just broaden the possibilities a little.

But I am so happy that GOT is getting awards, I was afraid it would get completely shut out and that wouldn't be fair IMO.

I am about 80% through this game on hard setting and loving it, the combat is incredible and the duels are something else.

I kept this one back for ps5 and glad I did, it is fantastic. I believe there is a new even harder setting mmmm

Last edited:

Strategize

eh. not really. TLOU2 was leading by a massive margin going into the final day when Neil tweeted about it to mock the game's haters and they all banded together here on gaf and on twitter to skew the poll.

More 4chan than gaf. Not just/v/ either pretty sure they had /pol/ on that shit aswell lol, TLOU literally went from winning by about 9 to losing by 10 in about 10 hours.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
More 4chan than gaf. Not just/v/ either pretty sure they had /pol/ on that shit aswell lol, TLOU literally went from winning by about 9 to losing by 10 in about 10 hours.
Sigh. Pretty depressing. I love GoT and it deserved to win on its own. not like this.

Not surprising. I figured they would.

And I agree w/ other folks it would be nice to see people not crash public polls; this is why no one trusts user reviews anymore (at least no more than critics either).

TLOU2 is gonna fucking sweep and they're gonna meltdown anyway. Let the best game win and leave agendas aside ffs.

Entroyp

I played both and prefer GoT, but this was totally “rigged”.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
That's unbelievable! I didn't think it was possible with all the MKUltra going on with TLOU2. I'm sure they blame the hackers or something.

The game is incredible and it's definitely the real surprise and GOTY of the year. Cyberpunk counts for next year anyway.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
GoT won because it is an amazing game that more people liked. The TLOU2 fanatics can make up al the crazy conspiracy theories they would like to make excuses on why it lost, but that is just reality. Y’all got to move on with your lives. And it’s always the same 10 or so folks who do this.

You love the game, we get it. It is more sad that y’all are trying so hard to justify your reason of loving it with continuous “lol it will sweep and haters will cry” comments.

Last edited:

jm89

His recent game is critically lower than the first installment in both critics and users category.

In term of sales, outside the initial big launch of 4 million copies the game leg is tracking behind the like of Spiderman, GOW, UC4, HZD, and GOT.

In other words, the most expansive game of PS4 didn't explode like he was expecting before in both critically and commercially.
I'm surprised sony still haven't release any sales numbers for tlou2. Compared to other games it's probably done really well and made a lot of money, but i feel like it won't have any legs and will cause long term damage to the franchise.

I looked at the player count and it is already 2 million players behind GOW if we align the launches, which is quite a huge difference, the game definitely fell off hard after the initial launch.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I would have felt sorry for the people of Naughty Dog seeing their hard work was not appreciated by gamers.

But then I remembered that Neil Druckmann is an ass.

Gamers have spoken. Whether or not The Last of Us 2 wins Game of the Year is moot now.

Last edited:
Just beat GoT last week on my PS5, which I am glad I waited to do so instead of on my PS4. Sure, it doesn't do anything new to the open world genre, but damn it feels good to play and the world is done so well. The narrative was traditional and safe but I enjoyed how it wrapped up.

Overall, well deserved and congrats Sucker Punch!

Mr Moose

Neil Drunkman thought it was a good idea to trash talk TLOU2 haters on twitter while TLOU2 was leading the poll lmao. He accidentally rallied them to vote for GOT and he immediately regretted his decision and deleted his tweet earlier but it was too late 🤣.
Good lol, it deserved to win imo. I loved TLoUII but Ghost of Tsushima is just better all around.
Thanks, Neil, muahahaa.

Top Bottom