• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima removes Only on PlayStation logo on box art (PC version incoming?)

DonF

Makes sense, business wise. Games sale a lot in the first months then fade, release first on console, wait a years release on pc. I bet even console version will see a boost in sales.

Holammer

This Thursday, the day after MS buys everyone, is the steam summer sale. Imagine when you hit refresh around 13:00 and see BB has been added to the store.
Cool, but with Bryank75 banned, where's the joy?

speedball-2.900x.jpg

Guilty_AI

I thought there was roughly 200m steam users, and the average specs to run all last-gen AAA games was 10% (20m), but would happily have someone give me new correct figures .
Well, there are roughly 120M active steam users, and around 10% of those have at least a RTX 2070 or above, so around 12M users with next gen hardware, not counting AMD hardware and RTX 2060s.
Last data shows there were 8.6M ps5s sold worldwide, 7.8M if we only use data confirmed by sony.

So we can at least say there are more pc players with next gen hardware than there are ps5 players.
If we consider XSX/S, based on estimations that were made saying the ps5 sold at least twice as much as it, we can assume the number of next gen consoles in the wild is roughly the same as the number of next-gen PCs, maybe a bit behind.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I hope it comes to PC... its beautiful and super amazing ... The combat is amazing... more people need to play and witness what generic copy-paste trash Ubisoft has been passing around every year...

I already platinumed it on PS4 Pro....

Dr Bass

This would be awesome for PC players. I loved this game, and it was one of the best open world games I've played personally. No reason to not spread the love.

Unknown?

I'm happy too. I'm happy because I want to everyone to see PC as the neutral ground that it is. A place where gamers who exist outside this silly console war can play all the games. That just makes sense to me.

But you are wrong. PlayStation isn't losing its unique identity at all. Console gamers are not going to magically turn into PC gamers even if every PS game comes to PC day one. For console gamers, what does it matter? Absolutely no console gamers are affected by this at all. So tell me again how PS lose its identity?

not happening no way GIF
Neutral ground? PC fanboys are equally as bad or worse than console fanboys.

Topher

Gold Member
I thought there was roughly 200m steam users, and the average specs to run all last-gen AAA games was 10% (20m), but would happily have someone give me new correct figures .

Not sure where that comes from. The most popular GPU on Steam is still the GTX 1060, but to run last-gen AAA games doesn't even require that. The most popular GPUs on Steam range from the RX 580 to the RTX 3070. Those and everything in between makes up over 50% of Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Kokoloko85

Time's changing. Only reason why nintendo relies on their exclusives is because they have almost nothing else going on for their consoles. Very different case for sony and PS, unless you believe theres no reason to get a PS5 apart from exclusive titles that is.

Well the exclusives were the main story for PS4. Otherwise why not get an xbox?
I think playstations exclusives ( alot of them being the best games of the generation ) is one of the main reasons they choose Playstation instead of the competition.

3rd party is important but having games you can play only on one of the consoles is a big selling point.

Dr Bass

Serious in what way? I did just buy a PS5 so I could play Ratchet and was gonna buy Ghost cause I was really excited to finally play it but I have a beefy PC so if there's a chance it could get ported there I might as well wait.
I know I already commented on this, but it looks amazing on PS5 (it's how I played through it). I don't think it would look "better" on PC, at least not significantly. And is this confirmed it's releasing? I haven't read through the whole thread. After playing it on PS5 though I feel like I can confidently tell you to just do it. It's awesome.
I probably won't, I have a 65" oled I've been meaning to finally game on.
Yeah man, do it! I promise you won't be disappointed. :) Ghost and Ratchet are two fantastic games to play on your PS5. You're in for a treat. :)

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
the open floodgates GIF

Jimbo opened the flood gates, Sony got a taste of the PC user base and can’t stop now.

DeaDPo0L84

I know I already commented on this, but it looks amazing on PS5 (it's how I played through it). I don't think it would look "better" on PC, at least not significantly. And is this confirmed it's releasing? I haven't read through the whole thread. After playing it on PS5 though I feel like I can confidently tell you to just do it. It's awesome.

Yeah man, do it! I promise you won't be disappointed. :) Ghost and Ratchet are two fantastic games to play on your PS5. You're in for a treat. :)
I'm mostly excited cause it got a 60fps bump, that's something since jumping mainly to pc gaming I've become a lot more sensitive to. So even when I play Ratchet I'll be using performance ray tracing mode. Also picking up Miles Morales as well as Demon Souls for some coop fun with my wife and a friend.

Topher

Gold Member
Neutral ground? PC fanboys are equally as bad or worse than console fanboys.

Free to your opinion......but there are simply a heck of a lot less PC fanboys out there than console fanboys. And yeah, it is neutral ground. PC gaming is an open platform and anyone can make games there without asking for permission of any corporation. You are not going to find that on any console.

Dream-Knife

Banned
No, it must be close as of now, but it's smaller.

And well, they sold over 1.5 Billion PS4 games (and counting), which means a ton of money for Sony and their main revenue source. They want to grow this, not to reduce it.

To port old previous gen games to PC won't hurt their console game sales, in the same way it doesn't affect them to include several years old games on PS+ or PS Now, because after 2 or 3 years the games already sold basically everything they can in the console after discounts, price drops and so on.

To release all their new games day one on PC would make many people to don't buy these games on PS5 and even to don't need to buy the console, as happens with Xbox.
119 million GPUs sold this year. That's not counting how many people own a 2060 equivariant or better card from the last 3 years.

If even a quarter of the people who bought one of those GPUs this year is playing games with it, that leaves the number at 29 million. Lets say PS5 sold another 8 million units in the last 2 and a half months, that's only 16 million.

Sony is following this method the same way Xbox did. In a few years they too will be day/date.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Well the exclusives were the main story for PS4. Otherwise why not get an xbox?
I think playstations exclusives ( alot of them being the best games of the generation ) is one of the main reasons they choose Playstation instead of the competition.

3rd party is important but having games you can play only on one of the consoles is a big selling point.
The cold truth however is 'they' buy consoles to play Fortnite or Destiny 2 or something.
'They' might pick a PS instead of an xbox because it happens to have one or another exclusive 'they' are interested in, but the main reason is still games like the mentioned above. And sony's launching these games on PC, not on Xbox, so this leverage over the competition doesn't disappear.

As i said, times changing.

Last edited:

yurinka

119 million GPUs sold this year. That's not counting how many people own a 2060 equivariant or better card from the last 3 years.

If even a quarter of the people who bought one of those GPUs this year is playing games with it, that leaves the number at 29 million. Lets say PS5 sold another 8 million units in the last 2 and a half months, that's only 16 million.

Sony is following this method the same way Xbox did. In a few years they too will be day/date.
You must smoke strong stuff if you think they sold 119 million next gen PC GPUs in a quarter, or even a quarter of that. Steam has mostly the monopoly of AAA PC gaming, and had a peak of 24 million concurrent users.

In May 2021 ~15% of Steam players use resolutions beyond 1080p, 85% had less than 8 physical CPUs, 13% had more than 16GB of RAM, 67% had less than 8GB of VRAM. You can also check out the % of players that had each specific GPU model.

But I agree that at the end of the generation, after they released all the main PS4 games on PC they consider and once next gen PCs get a big enough userbase, they will start porting PS5 games to PC. But the first ones, maybe minimum 2-3 years after the original release. Some GaaS MP game specially if F2P, probably a new 2nd party IP may even release on PC day one before that as a test and because MP and specially F2P games rely on having a big active userbase.

But if console game+DLC+IAP sales continue being their main revenue source as they are and always has been, they will avoid releasing all their games day one on PC if they see it negatively impacts their console game sales or console sales.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The cold truth however is 'they' buy consoles to play Fortnite or Destiny 2 or something.
'They' might pick a PS instead of an xbox because it happens to have one or another exclusive 'they' are interested in, but the main reason is still games like the mentioned above. And sony's launching these games on PC, not on Xbox, so this leverage over the competition doesn't disappear.

As i said, times changing.

There’s probably has alot of truth in that, but theres many people out who dont care for games like Fortnite and are playing and buying consoles for big blockbusters Like God of War, Halo, Doom, TLOU, Spiderman etc.
The formula has worked for generations.

Plus there not gonna sell on day 1 anyway, people can keep pretending its happening and acting like the entire library is on steam but its not lol. There’s 2 games.
Theres still 99% of PS3/PS4 games that havent come to PC. Theres a long way to go. Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne are 6+ years old games now, they will probably be next

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Sony took the artistic (+marketing) choice of not including anymore the 'Only on PlayStation' banner on their game boxes, which doesn't mean they will go 3rd party and start publishing games on other consoles.

Sony only will release on their own consoles, and some old PS4 games on PC. So GoT eventually may be ported to PC some day.

As an exception, MLB was released on PC and Xbox published by MLB, not by Sony. MLB demanded to make the game multiplatform as a condition to renew Sony's license to keep using their IP. It was fine for Sony, they accepted.

No, it must be close as of now, but it's smaller.

And well, they sold over 1.5 Billion PS4 games (and counting), which means a ton of money for Sony and their main revenue source. They want to grow this, not to reduce it.

To port old previous gen games to PC won't hurt their console game sales, in the same way it doesn't affect them to include several years old games on PS+ or PS Now, because after 2 or 3 years the games already sold basically everything they can in the console after discounts, price drops and so on.

To release all their new games day one on PC would make many people to don't buy these games on PS5 and even to don't need to buy the console, as happens with Xbox.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Topher

Gold Member

That research of GPUs is including Intel integrated GPUs as well since it is showing Intel neck and neck with AMD overall. So basically it includes every PC and laptop sold whether for gaming or not.

No they are not. If they were then every PlayStation game would be on PC day/date right now as that is the "method" Microsoft used.

Lol! So you make up your own numbers, which seem to be completely wrong, then asks for someone to correct you? Why not Google search. You can get an idea of all of the millions of GPU's that are better performing than ps5 from AMD and Nvidia. Not sure why you keep doing this?

Unless you meant to put running next gen games + ps5 instead of ps4?

PaintTinJr

Lol! So you make up your own numbers, which seem to be completely wrong, then asks for someone to correct you? Why not Google search. You can get an idea of all of the millions of GPU's that are better performing than ps5 from AMD and Nvidia. Not sure why you keep doing this?

Unless you meant to put running next gen games + ps5 instead of ps4?
No, I completely misread the old survey data. Seems like there are a lot more current cross-gen systems on steam than what I thought. Even if you take the simpler route than add up DX11 or better GPUs - to run Days Gone - and then said Windows only, and 4 Core CPU above 3.3Ghz I think it still ends up something high like 40% of 110M either way - which is a big userbase, even if only 10% bought.

No, I completely misread the old survey data. Seems like there are a lot more current cross-gen systems on steam than what I thought. Even if you take the simpler route than add up DX11 or better GPUs - to run Days Gone - and then said Windows only, and 4 Core CPU above 3.3Ghz I think it still ends up something high like 40% of 110M either way - which is a big userbase, even if only 10% bought.
New CPU's and GPU's are selling out before they even hit the shelves. Even older series models. This is the time that PC players upgrade, after new consoles come out. You can get previous generation equipment cheaper, which will beats out next gen, or get the shiny new stuff which gives you even more performance.

Steam statistics will start to move the average GPU yet again. I'd imagine the 3060 will be the new 1060, which beat out last gen console refreshes.

Guilty_AI

There’s probably has alot of truth in that, but theres many people out who dont care for games like Fortnite and are playing and buying consoles for big blockbusters Like God of War, Halo, Doom, TLOU, Spiderman etc.
The formula has worked for generations.
And this won't change by Sony putting their games on PC.

Plus there not gonna sell on day 1 anyway, people can keep pretending its happening and acting like the entire library is on steam but its not lol. There’s 2 games.
Theres still 99% of PS3/PS4 games that havent come to PC. Theres a long way to go. Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne are 6+ years old games now, they will probably be next
6 games actually if we include everything with Sony's name on it and that were associated with the brand at least for a time (Death stranding and Quantic Dream games apart from DG and HZD). Then loads of other third parties that previously only released on PS consoles that are now putting their games on PC or even Xbox. Like it or not, its a sign of where things are going 🤷‍♂️. Dunno if it'll be day 1 releases or a few months after or 1 year, but they'll happen.

Sony also seems interested in expanding their IPs to more than just games, so it makes sense they'd try to reach as big as a public as they can.

Last edited:
And this won't change by Sony putting their games on PC.

6 games actually if we include everything with Sony's name on it and that were associated with the brand at least for a time (Death stranding and Quantic Dream games apart from DG and HZD). Then loads of other third parties that previously only released on PS consoles that are now putting their games on PC or even Xbox. Like it or not, its a sign of where things are going 🤷‍♂️.

Sony also seems interested in expanding their IPs to more than just games, so it makes sense they'd try to reach as big as a public as they can.
Mobile gaming and using their own characters in their films come to mind. They are definitely expanding their Horizon.

Dream-Knife

Banned
You must smoke strong stuff if you think they sold 119 million next gen PC GPUs in a quarter, or even a quarter of that. Steam has mostly the monopoly of AAA PC gaming, and had a peak of 24 million concurrent users.

In May 2021 ~15% of Steam players use resolutions beyond 1080p, 85% had less than 8 physical CPUs, 13% had more than 16GB of RAM, 67% had less than 8GB of VRAM. You can also check out the % of players that had each specific GPU model.

But I agree that at the end of the generation, after they released all the main PS4 games on PC they consider and once next gen PCs get a big enough userbase, they will start porting PS5 games to PC. But the first ones, maybe minimum 2-3 years after the original release. Some GaaS MP game specially if F2P, probably a new 2nd party IP may even release on PC day one before that as a test and because MP and specially F2P games rely on having a big active userbase.

But if console game+DLC+IAP sales continue being their main revenue source as they are and always has been, they will avoid releasing all their games day one on PC if they see it negatively impacts their console game sales or console sales.
Note two things:
Concurrent means at one time. So last Saturday at 8pm they had x amount of users on at once.

A lot of people, including myself don't get steam hardware surveys. I have not gotten one once on my new machine for example.
That research of GPUs is including Intel integrated GPUs as well since it is showing Intel neck and neck with AMD overall. So basically it includes every PC and laptop sold whether for gaming or not.

No they are not. If they were then every PlayStation game would be on PC day/date right now as that is the "method" Microsoft used.
Ok, let's pretend only 10% will use their new computers on games. That's 11.4 million. Basically the same as estimated current PS5s have sold.

All of this also assumes you max out PS5 hardware for such a game, you do not.

Xbox didn't start day/date either.

PC fanboys don't really shill for companies though. We just like having the best of everything.
I don't care who has the better motherboard or ram. Imma go with best price to performance, which changes do often. At the end of the day, we have one goal in mind. It's not a competition or anything. We build what we like, and the worst that you'll hear from PC guys is AMD vs Nvidia. Or AMD vs Intel, which is even less now a days.

reinking

Gold Member
Serious in what way? I did just buy a PS5 so I could play Ratchet and was gonna buy Ghost cause I was really excited to finally play it but I have a beefy PC so if there's a chance it could get ported there I might as well wait.
Let's start with there is nothing about a sticker change on packaging is an official statement that it is going to be on PC any time soon.

As for waiting even if it is eventually coming...why? You just said it is on sale now for $30. You are going to wait to pay more? I would understand on a multi-platform game but I find that a lot of games built around the console have some jank when they first get ported to PC.

Let's start with there is nothing about a sticker change on packaging is an official statement that it is going to be on PC any time soon.

As for waiting even if it is eventually coming...why? You just said it is on sale now for $30. You are going to wait to pay more? I would understand on a multi-platform game but I find that a lot of games built around the console have some jank when they first get ported to PC.
Why would it matter though? PC will have higher than 60 fps, native 4k, ultrawide support, no compromises at all. MODS. Plus steam library is better than other hand libraries when it comes to collecting games.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Why would it matter though? PC will have higher than 60 fps, native 4k, ultrawide support, no compromises at all. MODS. Plus steam library is better than other hand libraries when it comes to collecting games.
It really doesn't I guess. I game on both consoles and PC. When a game is built around the console I typically will not wait another 18-24 months to play it. Most first party games are optimized pretty well. If a game is good enough I might double dip. To each his own.

yurinka

Note two things:
Concurrent means at one time. So last Saturday at 8pm they had x amount of users on at once.
I know, I tried to find current Steam MAU but didn't find it so mentioned the first thing I found with a quick search to show something that can help us to get an idea of the overall scale.

A lot of people, including myself don't get steam hardware surveys.
Yep, that's how surveys and statistics work. They ask some thousands of people representative of a population which is a small portion of the total.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Neutral ground? PC fanboys are equally as bad or worse than console fanboys

Nah mate. Console fanboys are worse because on average, they are less informed than PC gamers. PC gamers are tired of having to debunk the same old myths about the platform over and over. Specially on "Enthusiast" forums like this one or Era.

And I am being too harsh by saying console fanboys. It's actually Sony fanboys that are annoying. Look at the reaction when one of "their" games (first or third party) is announced to be on PC. God forbid PC gamers get to play a game already enjoyed by PS gamers... MS and Nintendo fans are different, they just shut up and game.

And as long as the PC version of a game is not compromised, PC gamers are cool with games being released everywhere. Do you remember the reactions when CAPCOM and Square had the nerve to "betray" Sony and release DMC IV and FFXIII on Xbox?

The Playstation brand is like a football club for these fanboys. Not surprising since PS global appeal was cemented thanks to pirated consoles in Europe and South America during the PS1 and PS2 days. But that's another story.

Last edited:
M

Mr.Vodoo

Unconfirmed Member
Good move Sony making me buy your games twice !
If you bought it already on PS, then you buying it again on PC is not Sony's fault. You are choosing to own the same game on a different platform. Do not blame the company for your ill-advised decision :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom