• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Bartski

Gold Member
was it the same for anyone else?

yeah I did all sidequests in Act 1 and 2 before progressing so I breezed through Act 3 feeling overpowered as hell all the way 'till the end on "hard".

Can't say that about the duel with Kojiro, guess I got there too early or something but I was getting obliterated, also during some duels leading up to it making that my favorite Mythic quest of the game.

Looking forward to PS5 replay on "Lethal" and the multiplayer dlc!

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I advise you all to watch the director's documentary. It's a really cool talk between the games director, Sushei Yoshida and a prestige Japanese professor on Japanese history.

There's some pretty interesting discussions that may pretty well serve as a plot device for Ghost of Tsushima 2.

According to the japanese professor, it's an historical fact that everytime Samurais put their lifes on the line for the Shogunate, they would have to give lands to them for the sacrifice, but since no new lands were won on Tsushima, the Shogunate didn't distribute lands at all and in the end that's one of the things that largely contributed for the Shogunate's ending. The lack of recognition somehow ignites a revolution on the bushido code causing the Shogunate to lose the support of the Samurais.

Something like this could defenitely work for Ghost of Tsushima 2.

Last edited:

Neolombax

I'm nearing the end, just mopping up side quests and completing the map markers. Collecting those banners and mongol artifacts is going to be a slog but thats fine. Amazing game so far but not without faults. It managed to make me put down Destiny 2 and MW for a while, so thats quite the achievement.

Damn i like this game so much, but i cant shake the feelingf this game lacks ONE big thing. The Nemesis system from shadows of mordor. It would be a perfect match with the duels and overall story. If u read this SuckerPunch, please make this happend.
dedlQuU.gif

Still loving this game. I'm on act II and I've been taking my time and enjoying the game.

One thing I have to say that I'm just a little bit disappointed are the side quest. They are not Witcher 3 level as some have made them seem to be. Well I hope they'll get better.

Edit. The reason I'm a little let down by the side quest are that they are almost all the same. You get somewhere by tracking foot prints or blood splatters, then you fight and that's it.

Last edited:

nowhat

So I started another playthrough (after getting the platinum, which I almost never do) just to check out the English voicework. It's fine for the most part, although I feel Jin's voice actor really phones it in during certain scenes.

But to my surprise, I ended up playing the game again almost to completion. Sure, there are still several camps to clear, but as far as main/side stories go, I'm done, yet again. Which brings me to my point - I just fucking love this game. There are still issues with the presentation, the lack of IK can be jarring and whenever the camera pulls back on cutscenes, you know it's going to suck. And the lip sync is still far from perfect even with original audio. And yeah, the camera sucks, I've had standoffs with the first guy being completely blocked by a brute.

But the game is just so much fun to play. And it doesn't waste my time - the fact that I can just collect resources while riding a horse (or just running around) is great. At no point did I feel "this breaks my immersion". Rather, "great, let's move on". There's only one set of weapons, that you can upgrade if you choose. A limited number of armours to choose from, which again can be upgraded. But no "this item has +1 compared to my current one in one aspect, but -1 when compared to another". That whole loot game could and can work in other games, but I'm glad it's not present here.

In the end, it's just the gameplay and the experience. Seriously, that moment when "Sucker Punch presents" appears on the screen - who can say that it didn't feel great? It absolutely does. Currently, this is my GOTY, there's no contest. I'm quite surprised even, I expected to like this but not to the extent that I'm actually liking it.

Last edited:
Going through Act II and I have to say, Sucker Punch takes care of the side characters (Masako, Ishikawa, Norio, etc.) as much as the main story. The side content is largely rudimentary gameplay-wise, but Sucker Punch makes up for that with good storytelling and presentation.

GreyHorace

Gaijin Goombah Media just did a video singing praises for Ghost of Tsushima being the "Perfect Japanese Game."

Previously he did a video calling Jin Sakai the "Perfect Historical Ninja."

Both videos you all should give a watch. The guy does extensive research and raises points that those unfamiliar with Japan's history would miss.

Neolombax

Finally finished the game, but gave up on collecting all the clan banners, mongol artifacts and the records. It was such an amazing experience. My only gripe with the story was I wished that the relationship between Jin and his uncle was fleshed out earlier since the beginning. I personally never felt the gravity of Jin slowly accepting the ways of the Ghost since the beginning. By the end of Jin's journey, I cried. It was a beautiful, complete and fulfilling journey.

HLHbzTB.jpg

8IK9WD3.jpg

3FfqFCd.jpg

HotPocket69

Banned
Finally finished the game, but gave up on collecting all the clan banners, mongol artifacts and the records. It was such an amazing experience. My only gripe with the story was I wished that the relationship between Jin and his uncle was fleshed out earlier since the beginning. I personally never felt the gravity of Jin slowly accepting the ways of the Ghost since the beginning. By the end of Jin's journey, I cried. It was a beautiful, complete and fulfilling journey.

HLHbzTB.jpg

8IK9WD3.jpg

3FfqFCd.jpg

You really cried?

MilkLizard

Gaijin Goombah Media just did a video singing praises for Ghost of Tsushima being the "Perfect Japanese Game."

Previously he did a video calling Jin Sakai the "Perfect Historical Ninja."

Both videos you all should give a watch. The guy does extensive research and raises points that those unfamiliar with Japan's history would miss.

Thanks for posting. Any major spoiler in there, I just opened up the second part of the island?

GreyHorace

Goddamn. Who knew Jin Sakai had elf blood in him?

I love this game for giving you so many options to approach combat. I may consider doing an archer build with the Tadayori armor on my next playthrough.

Here's some more examples for good measure:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Starting Act III :messenger_loudly_crying:

iu

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Just finished GOT ..

It’s almost a month since I started playing it and now finally finished the game . What a beautiful game they made , I appreciate every effort they put .. the actors , the devs and everyone at SP .. thank you 🙏

sad , funny and exciting journey ..

Pantz

Gold Member
Finished it today.

It started out feeling like my favorite game this gen but the missions got too repetitive and made the game drag for me. Got so sick of following footprints and listening to small talk every mission riding horses to a location with someone. Still, it was a beautiful game with a great combat and skill system. Could have used something similar to a deck of 52 generals to make them more exciting. More infiltration missions would have been nice too. Overall good game, and actually my first platinum trophy.

makaveli60

Just wanted to share that I've just finished the mission titled The Ghost of Yarikawa and I had goosebumps from beginning to the very end. This has been one of the most epic experiences in gaming for me since I have started playing videogames.

Saruhashi

Banned
Loved the game overall.
Combat is excellent.
Story is excellent.
Game looks gorgeous.

The biggest flaw for me is that it is all just too bloated. The needed to cut like the number of enemy outposts in half, dial back on the collectibles, get rid of many of the side missions.

Getting to the stage where almost every other game I find myself feeling like its bloated with pretty uninteresting content.

I would say "repetitive" but I play games like Tetris, Bloodborne, etc over and over.

More like a lot of the content isn't meaningful and becomes too easy.

I find myself polishing off outpost after outpost while listening to podcasts and absent mindedly checking off side quests one after the other.

I'd prefer if they keep the main story tight and cut away all the flab. Then have a post game where some of the outposts are difficult to extremely difficult with more challenging bosses etc.

The main quest is really excellent with amazing and emotional moments. Truly memorable.

Outside of that I think I was in "box checking" mode towards the end of the first area. It just isn't compelling content.

I think it's a situation where having this as an open world game actually is a black mark against the overall experience.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

The biggest flaw for me is that it is all just too bloated. The needed to cut like the number of enemy outposts in half, dial back on the collectibles, get rid of many of the side missions.

Getting to the stage where almost every other game I find myself feeling like its bloated with pretty uninteresting content.

This is funny, because I felt the opposite. I thought the open world of Tsushima was very streamlined and did away with much of the bloat of traditional open world games. I always relished finding new enemy outposts and looking at the various ways one could tackle them. Sucker Punch should be commended for designing these outposts that allow for multiple approaches.

As for the sidequests, I thought each of them was interesting in their own way and not just useless filler. The ordinary tales where Jin helps the people of Tsushima were okay for the most part, but the character and mythic quests were fantastic and really the highlight of the game.

Self

The main quest is really excellent with amazing and emotional moments. Truly memorable.

I'm not entirely though the game, but I find the main story rather lacking and do enjoy the little stories of the towns folk. It's the little things in Tsushima that impress me the most.

Jedge

Finished ACT 1 and slowing working through ACT 2. Doing side quests for now. Just got the Kensei armor because I like spamming Kunai and ghost weapons.
This game is such a treat. It doesn't feel like a chore going around and doing various quests. Although i'm not finished, I hope they make GoT 2 and add new fighting styles (spear or a bo staff for example)

Humdinger

Do we know anything about the PS5 upgrade? Specifically, whether we are talking about the standard "boost" mode, or whether a special PS5 upgraded edition is coming later?

One of the best experiences I had this generation. Masterpiece!

Let this game shake up japanese developers a bit and make them realize that people STILL want samurai themed games.

Top Bottom