• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Arkam

I heard that Sucker Punch just made an announcement on new content? Can't find anything.

TimFL

Got the platinum just now. Was a pretty good game but I‘m still sour at the production value that went into half of the „cutscenes“ with static camera placement and top down views of the characters with dead animations.

Uninstalled this until the coop mode hits.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Why am I so shit at the stand offs?

I’m at the point where I can do multi kills, do I press and hold triangle again and let it go when the next dude approaches or just jab triangle when I think he is ready to swing for me?

SSfox

I got my Platinum few days ago, wonder if they add NG+ later on, in any case i'm planning to play it again at least one more time, maybe with PS5 if it gets a 60 fps patch

And what best way to get the platinum with my Foxes Brothers

EfVHgJ4WoAA_vqD

Curious about Legends, but we'll see how it will go and seems very exciting on paper, if it will be really good i may cancel my Day One AC valhalla purchase plan lol

cormack12

Gold Member
Why am I so shit at the stand offs?

I’m at the point where I can do multi kills, do I press and hold triangle again and let it go when the next dude approaches or just jab triangle when I think he is ready to swing for me?

Nah, do the first duel let go of triangle and then when the enemy rushes in swings just tap square and let go (or triangle). Then do it again when you unlock more and more rush ins. You get an armour set later that pushes the amount of enemies you can insta kill in a standoff to 5.

Exentryk

Finished the game yesterday.

Pros:
  • Melee Combat
  • Exploration
  • Graphics
  • Immersion
  • UI (loved the clean dynamic HUD that disappeared when not needed)
  • Some quest stories (mostly mythic quests)
  • Very fast load times (no idea how they did it)
  • Duels
Cons:
  • Monotonous - Every conversation felt the same with a very monotonous delivery by characters.
  • Ranged combat lack of variety - Needed some cool bow skills like homing arrows, firing multiple arrows, etc.
  • The charms could have been more varied rather than just giving passive bonuses.
  • Lack of surprises/variety - Every quest ended up fighting bandits/mongols.
  • Unclear information - How much is "Small/Moderate/Major/Massive" increase in damage? Give us numbers.
  • Traversal - Only being able to climb cliffs from specific points felt annoying and I was missing the 'climb anywhere' from AC games.
  • The production values were also low. The scenarios could use a lot more dialogue and improved resolutions. The conversations are usually very short and feel artificial. The scenarios also feel unrealistic and gamey and break immersion. Just feel like they need to improve the most in this space.

Having said all that, I enjoyed my time overall. The combat and exploration carried the game for me. I hope Sucker Punch continue making similar games, but consider a more fantastical setting so it gives them more variety and freedom for various things (like magic abilities, varied enemies, etc).

Last edited:

nowhat

You get an armour set later that pushes the amount of enemies you can insta kill in a standoff to 5.
I'll preface this by saying I'm not advocating anything. I think adult people should be able to do whatever they wish themselves or with consenting adults, I'm not judging. On a personal level, I do like to get stoned and play video games every now and then. And GoT was released just as my annual summer vacation began - as I'm not going to be traveling abroad, fuck yes I'm going to hit my bong and then back to the controller it is.

This impairs functionality for a while, but after that, some of the duels were so fucking epic. I really had a blast with them. But the standoffs, especially when they get harder as the game progresses - I just couldn't get them right. It became laughable even, *gurgle gurgle* "send your best fighter!" - and I die immediately. Getting the trophy for five consecutive standoff kills was perhaps the most satisfying moment in gaming for me in recent memory.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'll preface this by saying I'm not advocating anything. I think adult people should be able to do whatever they wish themselves or with consenting adults, I'm not judging. On a personal level, I do like to get stoned and play video games every now and then. And GoT was released just as my annual summer vacation began - as I'm not going to be traveling abroad, fuck yes I'm going to hit my bong and then back to the controller it is.

This impairs functionality for a while, but after that, some of the duels were so fucking epic. I really had a blast with them. But the standoffs, especially when they get harder as the game progresses - I just couldn't get them right. It became laughable even, *gurgle gurgle* "send your best fighter!" - and I die immediately. Getting the trophy for five consecutive standoff kills was perhaps the most satisfying moment in gaming for me in recent memory.

I think it depended on which enemy you instigated the standoff against. Some of the heavy armoured guys were very quick so I tended to start the stadoff against the grunts, as it was easier to slice them rather than duel them.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So I've just did the Ghost of Yarikawa mission and for some weird reason I'm getting a huge vibration at the main gate while using the artifact attire... and I can't seem to figure where the artifact is.

Seems to be the flag guy but I can't interact with him at all. Is this a known bug or what?

Gamernyc78

Banned
I just came here to say that Ghost of Tsushima is soooooooo fking goooooood! As I'm approaching the end of the game , I'm starting to think its the best open world of this gen. Completely suckered punched me ;)

It's definitely up there. I platted it and still jump in regularly to enjoy the world.

Bryank75

Banned
So I've just did the Ghost of Yarikawa mission and for some weird reason I'm getting a huge vibration at the main gate while using the artifact attire... and I can't seem to figure where the artifact is.

Seems to be the flag guy but I can't interact with him at all. Is this a known bug or what?
Probably something above you...

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Probably something above you...

Go to upper floors.

It isn't. It's clearly coming from the guy with the flag at the main gate. I've Google it and it seems to be a common problem to some players.

The flag guy starts to walk around the fort, and if you follow him the vibration intensification resonates with how close you are to him.

The stupid thing is that there is no way to get the flag from him.

Edit: here's a thread on reddit talking about it

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Question regarding ghost armour:

Why is it the only one with 3 katanas? Is it merely cosmetic? You can't change the back one. It's always Sakai clan sword. What's up with that?

Ar¢tos

Hmmm... Is this serious or is this a joke?

idrago01

Banned
This is the editorial staff bios are complete with pronouns and that one soycuck is probably the only one who does any work/codes, the site seems like a joke
Full-Size-Render-scaled-e1593485461429-1024x1024.jpg
91373333-637425600150723-5224553864174239744-o-1024x1023.jpg

Ebeoc-UKUYAAlgk-B-e1593482072554-1024x1025.jpg
IMG-6814-2.jpg
IMG-1590-1.jpg

Game was good, even with the cons somebody already noted (and I agree). Wanted to have the platinum, but an achievement broke (do all the missions for a certain character). So, no plat for me, but game was good.

A piece of advice for new players: DONT explore the map blindly, unless there is a specific thing you want. Once you free up a map, you unlock sight of all of it. Pointless hours wasted riding around with the horse

Vtecomega

Banned
This game is completely boring crap. I bought into the hype and bought it digitally for 100 bucks. It started off ok but I somehow lost interest once the open world was introduced.

Entroyp

it has to be a joke or troll

Bryank75

Banned
This game is completely boring crap. I bought into the hype and bought it digitally for 100 bucks. It started off ok but I somehow lost interest once the open world was introduced.
Come back to it when you feel like playing something 'open-world'. I had the same feeling the first time I tried The Witcher 3, then came back and really liked it later.

You have to be in the right mood for these things.

Entroyp

GoT sold 2 million digital copies. Not sure if it deserves its own thread. Didn't see a discussion on it so I thought to post it here.
However congrats to the developer, fantastic game. Deserved success!
I'm happy when big new ips steal some good wind.

Good to hear. I hope it keeps selling well.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Finished the story and platinum the game.

The game is not perfect, it has it's flaws, but I absolutely loved it.

The ending is just sublime.

I went with the ending where you kill Lord Shimura and I don't regret it. It's an emotional train wreck but amazingly well crafted. It totally respects the concept of honor Samurais had. And considering Shimura lived by those standards to the point of obeying the Shogun to kill his adoptive son, it just shows how much Jin respect his uncle as a Samurai, even though their paths diverge at the end. It's a respectful warrior's death at the hands of the person he liked and trusted the most. It's amazingly sad and beautiful at the same time.

And the transition from black suit to white suit is pretty cool too.

I watched the other ending on Youtube and feels more like a soft ending. It's not bad, but I feel the true one is where you kill Lord Shimura.

Now, for Ghost of Tsushima 2, Jin has to go mainland and fuck the Shogun.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Straw hats located in the second island are far more challenging than anything I have seen in the story so far but nothing beats big golden motherfuckers in terms of looks :pie_savoring:
you can get something similar for you...not gonna spoiler more than this...

you know what's fun? the last duel against the khan was by far the easiest i had in the entire game, i literally dismantle him in less than 10 hits...

was it the same for anyone else?

Last edited:
This game is goty. Aside from countless bugs The Goty of Tsushima is amazing. So many bitchy complaints here. Graphics are beautiful, story is decent, side quests are The Witcher 3 tier. Combat is better than Witcher. One of the few games I wanted to get the Platinum trophy. The monk quest was outstanding.

No game is perfect stop bitching and go praise Sucker Punch for achieving such a top quality game. Sayonara, suckers...

Last edited:
Top Bottom