• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

NeoLed

Speaking of the witcher, its been causing me an issue in GOT. In the witcher, you press x to get your horse to go faster. In GOT, pressing x on your horse causes you to jump off. Being the idiot I am, I keep wanting to press x to go faster, only to jump off my horse like an idiot.
I forget what the game is, but it give me that muscle memory of press Triangle to mount. So my first interaction with my horse is... a slash to it's body 😐

Edit : it's Horizon Zero

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
I forget what the game is, but it give me that muscle memory of press Triangle to mount. So my first interaction with my horse is... a slash to it's body 😐

Edit : it's Horizon Zero

I think RDR2 did this to my brain too, I did that a couple times so far. He ran away from me and I felt bad! Then I ran off a mini cliff with him and thought he was dead, nope, great horse so far!

cormack12

Gold Member
Best advice for duels is not to get too caught up in trying to be clever. Hardest duel for me was in the Mythic tale 'Way of the Flame', just because you have to manage the elemental. But basically three things on duels worked for me on hard.

1. Spacing - only use counter attacks, expect to die the first few times as you get familiar with their patterns. no point spending resolve to revive etc. Then just stay a couple of steps back, out of range. This way you can avoid the unblockables much easier with a sidestep and the dodge gets you out of range of lunges. Also pay attention to the circular arena, If you reach the edge the distance will close and you'll get trapped. Ronin generally sheath swords before an unblockable.
2. Perfect Dodge - Probably 2/3 of these on normal attacks, give you one time damage chunks
3. Perfect Parry - As above, can probably get 1/2 of these depending on confidence (wear a charm that makes the window bigger)
4. Blue attacks - Forget what these are called but a normal block turns them around for three quick swipes
5. Resolve - You'll need to heal obviously, but wear armour, charms that generate resolve quickly as well. Only use the triangle/circle combo when they are staggered, and use the L1 + R1 dance when they have a third of their health left

GreyHorace

My thoughts on the ending:

It makes no sense to me why Jin would choose to kill Lord Shimura. He's still a father figure to Jin, despite their disagreement over the latter's methods in fighting the Mongols.

If the reasoning being is that Bushido demanded it to spare his uncle the humiliation from having failed to fulfill his duty to the Shogun. Then that doesn't make sense either. Jin sacrificed his position and honor to become the Ghost. Why would he choose to follow a code he has no more use for?

nowhat

It makes no sense to me why Jin would choose to kill Lord Shimura. He's still a father figure to Jin, despite their disagreement over the latter's methods in fighting the Mongols.

If the reasoning being is that Bushido demanded it to spare his uncle the humiliation from having failed to fulfill his duty to the Shogun. Then that doesn't make sense either. Jin sacrificed his position and honor to become the Ghost. Why would he choose to follow a code he has no more use for?
Related to the ending:

Did anyone actually kill Lord Shimura? Does it change anything? I didn't, because as stated above, it just wouldn't be in character for Jin.

WindomURL

Related to the ending:

Did anyone actually kill Lord Shimura? Does it change anything? I didn't, because as stated above, it just wouldn't be in character for Jin.
I did. He was begging for it, and it just seemed proper. As for whether or not it changed anything, idk. Jin screams and cries, then the credits roll, iirc. Spent another hour or so cleaning up the last few remaining outposts, looking for that one last haiku, and then fired up death stranding again. Am eventually going to do a lethal run and let him live, and deny him HONOR. Game was an absolute pleasure and am looking forward to jumping back in after it sits for a while

Ar¢tos

AC Odyssey ultimate edition in down to 20$. Will I like it if I enjoyed GoT?
Never really played an AC before.
Does it still have the present-past thing? Because that just sounds annoying and immersion breaking.

nowhat

I mean, it depends... do you enjoy
  • an enormous map filled to the brim with various markers (but really a few identical tasks that you repeat over and over) and very similar environments?
  • a combat system that's so vastly inferior to GoT it's not even funny?
  • a poor attempt at BioWare-style branching conversations that ultimately don't matter that much (but you do get to bone random people every now and then if you're inclined)?
  • grinding for new gear that can become obsolete pretty much immediately?
  • lots of side content that's utterly forgettable and samey, but at the same time mandatory because the main story is level-capped so hard that you can forget about progressing it if you're a couple of levels below?*)
If you answered yes to all of the above, congratulations - AC Odyssey may just be for you!

*) Of course Ubisoft will happily sell you a permanent XP booster to get around this, how kind of them. Also lots of other MTXs available, which is essential in an offline single-player game.

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
Does it still have the present-past thing? Because that just sounds annoying and immersion breaking.
It's pretty much nonexistent in the game, I bought it for PCand if you have a good enough setup the game can look amazing especially with reshade, the combat is ok but nothing groundbreaking but it's fun, especially for me who likes sword and sandals movies like 300 or gladiator

idrago01

Banned
I mean, it depends... do you
  • enjoy an enormous map filled to the brim with various markers (but really a few identical tasks that you repeat over and over) and very similar environments?
  • a poor attempt at BioWare-style branching conversations that ultimately don't matter that much (but you do get to bone random people every now and then if you're inclined)?
  • lots of side content that's utterly forgettable and samey, but at the same time mandatory because the main story is level-capped so hard that you can forget about progressing it if you're a couple of levels below?*)
If you answered yes to all of the above, congratulations - AC Odyssey may just be for you!

*) Of course Ubisoft will happily sell you a permanent XP booster to get around this, how kind of them. Also lots of other MTXs available, which is essential in an offline single-player game.
I agree with all of this but I still liked it because of the setting and being a fan of movies like 300 or gladiator, sometimes that can make an average game great, you can't knock the graphics though, on ultra settings it looks fantastic whether you're running around the countryside or out at sea in your boat

Ar¢tos

I mean, it depends... do you enjoy
  • an enormous map filled to the brim with various markers (but really a few identical tasks that you repeat over and over) and very similar environments?

Thanks. I think I'll pass then.

Beat the game yesterday. I enjoyed it but my complaints still stand. Timing feels weird on perfect parries and dodges that I could not get down the entire game among a list of other issues i had that I wont repeat here again.

The story was kinda whatever except for the very last battle. Its a good game still and I will enjoy clearing the remaining out posts but Im interested to see how SP follows this up with a sequel.

Last edited:

spartan30gr

8fdceb50-d8e2-11ea-866f-06891da335dc.jpg

I keep playing the game after finish weeks ago, there’s a trophy for “complete all duels”

cant find the last one at all. Must be buried inside side quest

I loved AC Odyssey, the combat IMO is great with lots of weapon variety, builds and skulls, the main villains of the game (The Cult of the Cosmos) are interesting and you need to hunt them down and figure out their identities and where they are, and a lot of them have legendary weapons/armor sets which is super cool to collect/use, I'd say if you enjoyed The Witcher 3 you'll enjoy Odyessy in fact i think Odyessy is the better game in every way except maybe in the originality/writing department.

Also Alexios>Kassandra.

I keep playing the game after finish weeks ago, there’s a trophy for “complete all duels”

cant find the last one at all. Must be buried inside side quest
It's story related and can't be missed just finish the game.
If you don't kill him he's gonna die anyway dishonorably since his punishment will be commiting Seppuku so Jin killing him and comfirting him with those words is a more merciful and what i personally think Jin would choose cause no matter what Shimura raised him and cared for him more than his actual father

Keihart

what altars do you need to bow at? The vanity ones or the fox ones?
there are altars without a prompt with a sign besides them with a picture of a samurai bowing....that's where you do it, i had no idea it was related to trophies and before knowing it i had a trophy for it lol.

Related to the ending:

I did, letting him live was pure torture for the old fart, weirdly enough, killing him was the whole some alternative in my book. I guess it all depends on if you believe if uncle deserved the favor or not, letting him live was the asshole move basically but you can totally want to be an asshole too.

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
there are altars without a prompt with a sign besides them with a picture of a samurai bowing....that's where you do it, i had no idea it was related to trophies and before knowing it i had a trophy for it lol.

I did, letting him live was pure torture for the old fart, weirdly enough, killing him was the whole some alternative in my book. I guess it all depends on if you believe if uncle deserved the favor or not, letting him live was the asshole move basically but you can totally want to be an asshole too.
I suppose I just don't understand honor killings, plus it made sense to me to keep him alive because he wasn't bound by his samurai code and honor anymore, he was now thinking for himself and what was logical for him, but after reading a lot of these posts I can definitely see where killing him probably was the correct choice. pretty f'cked up either way, but halfway through the story you knew it had to end this way with him facing off against his uncle in a duel to the death.

Pantz

Gold Member
If I play a second time I would like try not upgrading any of my equipment, or at least not my offensive equipment for longer fights.

SkylineRKR

I really liked Yuriko's tale and to make it even more worth it, she gives you the best and most OP wep in the game,
the hallucination dart, it's so broken.. It's like a Firecracker on meth and cocaine. I once managed to clean a large camp with 2 of them. One mad enemy and every other enemy in sight or not rushes to attack him, then all you need is a firebomb and maybe "clean up" whatever is still barely alive.

There is a charm that buffs them, lol

psorcerer

Banned
I just completed the duel against The Spirit of Yarikawa, and even though I understood how to properly execute a dodge, the duel was still too difficult. I had to lower the difficulty again.

It seems that you have to block all of an enemy's non-illuminated strikes and then dodge and counter the blue-illuminated strikes; however, the strikes occur in rapid succession and are therefore too fast for me to react to properly. I'm just not good enough.

Attempting to dodge and counter a non-illuminated strike results in an immediate strike from the opponent. I just can't figure out quickly enough whether to dodge and counter or to block.

It's easy to remember but hard to execute.
If enemy sheathes the blade: red attack is imminent. Best action: hit it with triangle when the red cross appears or even right away. Red attacks are slower than heavy triangle attack and will be interrupted.
If it's any other attack: parry. Good parry stops the combo. Even if it's not a perfect one. Just blocking may lead to a 50/50 of red/blue which is much harder to avoid.
The best but hardest to execute: sidesteps, i.e. circle+direction. Because some attacks track. And to different directions.
But you can always immediately fast attack (square) after sidestep.
Overall the reaction windows are pretty erratic in the game. Probably because of the input lag. Dark Souls like bullshit.
I can parry and just-frame in Tekken, but DS is much harder: not registered half of the time... GoT is pretty much like DS here.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
"Longtime chart leader PlayStation spent an estimated $13.2 million, airing two spots over 2,000 times, resulting in 573.3 million TV ad impressions. Nearly all of that spend went to “A Storm Is Coming,” promoting Ghost of Tsushima."

Gamernyc78

Banned
I just completed the duel against The Spirit of Yarikawa, and even though I understood how to properly execute a dodge, the duel was still too difficult. I had to lower the difficulty again.

It seems that you have to block all of an enemy's non-illuminated strikes and then dodge and counter the blue-illuminated strikes; however, the strikes occur in rapid succession and are therefore too fast for me to react to properly. I'm just not good enough.

Attempting to dodge and counter a non-illuminated strike results in an immediate strike from the opponent. I just can't figure out quickly enough whether to dodge and counter or to block.

First several duels I parried and side step, countered but I eventually learned breaking shield and stamina is easiest way to do duels. I just back up a few feet, swing before they swing on me, break down stamim+na/shield and rinse and repeat until I get all their damage down. It has worked easily on every duel after I found out it works so good. Btw started the game on hard and never turned down difficulty.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
rTRA356.jpg

man wtf am I doing ?!

I can’t and I don’t want to finish this game , I’m playing every non story mission , exploring the world and it has more interesting stuffs..it’s been more than two weeks and I still have much to do in Ghost of Tsushima

what a game
Same here. This is a very long game. Most of what I've played has been side quests, which are very abundant. In regard to the main story, I'm still in Act 2.

drganon

I'm getting to the point in the game where I'm turning into an unstoppable killing machine thanks to learning more of the stances. The only problem I have with the game now is sometimes when I do standoffs, the guy I'm facing will go out of the camera view so I cant see him and I end up losing the standoff.

idrago01

Banned
After playing horizon zero dawn on PC, I really want this game ported over, but I guess we're going to have to wait what 3 years or so

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Yup me too .. still act 2

There's one side quest - or should I say series of side quests - that seems to be very long: those pertaining to the warrior monk. When I scroll over the latest of them on the map, I see "2/9" listed, which implies that there are seven more quests in this series of quests subsequent to the two that I've already completed, which weren't short or simple but were lengthy and complicated.

GymWolf

There's one side quest - or should I say series of side quests - that seems to be very long: those pertaining to the warrior monk. When I scroll over the latest of them on the map, I see "2/9" listed, which implies that there are seven more quests in this series of quests subsequent to the two that I've already completed, which weren't short or simple but were lengthy and complicated.
Almost every character sidequest is 8-9 missions long.

tassletine

For honour. .

cormack12

Gold Member
Got the plat yesterday. I liked the naked Jin outfit at the end (barring loincloth obviously) was fun, especially with the sake quote. Really good and enjoyable. I only missed one sidequest that I had to look up which speaks to the quality of them in general and my desire to seek them out and complete. Tomoe and Noiro tales were the best for me personally (despite a slow start to noiro's).

Really good. I give this a gold star, thumbs up and a well done.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Barely.

I liked Odyssey a lot, but it's a very different beast from Ghost: AC leans way more into the gear stats and skill perks. In Ghost you're buying skills that you need to use properly, in AC you buy raw power - and you need it, the scaling is merciless, enemies above your level will demolish you. My main gripe with Odyssey is that there's a mechanic for changing who owns a given territory and it's overused. Lots of questlines end up with hey you now gotta do the steps and change who controls this area because the current leader is a bad guy. And because of that you don't really have a sparta/athens choice, you don't care who controls the land.

But I liked the game a lot. The virtual tourism alone was worth it. The first time I climbed the steps of the Acropolis and saw the statue of Athena Promachos I was getting chills. Then I went inside the Parthenon and there it was Phidias' chryselephantine statue of Athena Parthenos. Just incredible.

Top Bottom