• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima new info about the combat (and some new gifs)

GymWolf

More Arkham Samurai than Samurai's Creed than expected. I quite like.
yeah it looks like samurai free flow with some insta counter ala AC, i'm not really a fan of both combat systems tbh, they are dumbed down systems that aim to make average player feel great without much skills involved and very monotonous after a while.

spiderman was the only free flow type of combat that i enjoyed.

i just hope hard mode is gonna have enemies attacking constantly like sekiro and a decent level of challenge that doesn't wear off after 20 hours and a couple of upgrades...

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
Looks amazing. The atmosphere...the blood spray, this looks like a love letter to old samurai flicks and games, it’s giving me Tenchu vibes, hopefully there’s some stealth options too, but this looks badass

JimiNutz

Banned
Sounds great on paper and I really appreciate the effort and consideration that they have given the combat.

Hopefully it translates into challenging and rewarding combat. Sekiro set a high bar so I hope they drew some inspiration from that.

REE Machine

Banned
combat wise the protagonist is more efficient and less show off when he strike, no dance of dead with pirouettes like geralt (thank god)
Oh totally just something about the way enemies swarm you, he can evade and even roll away and how he can counter etc reminds me of witcher 3, im glad he doesnt dance like he has ants in his pants

Sygma

looks more like a better Assassins Creed...

Same shit : camera goes up, people coming up from all directions and very distinct animation telling the player when you gotta press the parry / block button. Instead of jumping over a dude holding a riot shield, you just repulse it here

disappointing. I really hope Suicide Squad has an entirely new combat because its getting really embarrassing

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
:messenger_face_steam:

Well I’m still excited, I didn’t expect this game to reinvent or revolutionize the genre, just deliver a good samurai romp. Pretty sure SP will deliver and who knows how enemies and combat works on higher difficulties.

REE Machine

Banned
Lmfao Sucker Punch

"so our shit is grounded and lethal"

Literally Arkham combat with different stances. This game, just like Spiderman, has zero fucking personality
Every game now a days minus the dark souls games have copied this style of gameplay because most people find it fun and engaging, at least jin doesnt leap across the screen like a fuckn frog like the batman games.

Last edited:
This looks significantly better than state of play, which had actually turned me off the game since I thought only the stealth build they showed there looked decent. Still nothing impressive though, but serviceable.

Last edited:

Sygma

Does not compute. These two sentences literally make no sense.

Try thinking first, you'll get there

Every game now a days minus the dark souls games have copied this style of gameplay because most people find it fun and engaging, at least jin doesnt leap across the screen like a fuckn frog like the batman games.

True he just rolls. Game just has art style for it tbh, props to those who like that kind of open world gameplay tho

I think the "This game has no personality" comment is in reference to the gameplay shown, NOT it's aesthetic. A comment I wholeheartedly agree with.

Absolutely ... its a combat gameplay thread to begin with

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

I don't dislike this style of combat.

I do wish they were more willing to innovate rather than copy each other, but so is the life of AAA games, too much at stake to take risks.

GlockSaint

I don't dislike this style of combat.

I do wish they were more willing to innovate rather than copy each other, but so is the life of AAA games, too much at stake to take risks.
Sorry to ask but have you read the blog itself not just judge the gifs alone. Because i had the same reaction before i read the article. Basically what he describes seems pretty cool, the parry system is based on well timed blocks, plus you kill fast and you also get killed fast. It looks like they're going for a very fast paced combat system so I'll personally wait to see it in full.

Although i just want a game to replicate ninja gaiden 2's insane combat system with a proper camera. A man can dream.

Lmfao Sucker Punch

"so our shit is grounded and lethal"

Literally Arkham combat with different stances. This game, just like Spiderman, has zero fucking personality
tenor.gif

DonF

Its really hard to do grounded realistic combat. For honor kinda nails it. This looks kinda generic. I hope the story and other aspects of the game are noteworthy.

I love how fog is now becoming a staple of beautiful graphics. It feels ironic to me that devs used to fog the distance because the consoles couldn’t render that far.

They are hitting him in the back in the first gif did you not notice?
I noticed 5 guys ganging up on one mand and being brain-dead enough not to use their numbers to their advantage. At most two went in.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The trolls are out today.

Whos trolling? Are you fucking blind? This has been a constant complaint ever since they revealed actual combat, nothing new. Either they're playing on very easy and the AI is programmed to attack far less on lower difficulties which would be nice since that means on hard+ enemies attack a lot more often in groups or its exactly as I fear, enemy AI on harder difficulties will most likely just deal more damage and thats it.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It is a bit similar to Arkham and AC, but I'm fine with it.

I'll be playing this at a high difficulty level. When you're surrounded and one spear hit can kill you, I'm betting it'll still feel pretty intense. It'll be like Bushido Blade, only you're totally surrounded.

Last edited:
Most games with combat are built like this to not overwhelm the player, same thing goes for movies, they take turns to attack because if they didnt it would be chaos on screen
So because most games do it, it’s OK for a game with so-called "grounded and realistic" combat to do it? Thanks for confirming this game is just generic as shit following what everyone else does.

Top Bottom