• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima has sold 6.5M copies since its launch

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Congratulations! What a beautiful game .

This game is one of the best open world and lore/settings integrations I have played in a long while. I just enjoy travelling through it, helping random people, getting rid of the horde bit by bit in a guerrilla warfare like situation, and helping the island rise up while I enjoy its gorgeous and lush landscapes and environment settings. Still the game I am playing the most.

Incredible this is smooth 30 FPS on the base 1.84 TFLOPS PS4 with 8 GB of RAM and standard HDD...

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Let's use that variance to estimate Days Gone numbers then.

Ghost of Tsushima

Confirmed sales = 6.5 million (as of Mar. 2021)
Gamstat = 5.8 million (as of Nov. 2020)
Variance = 12.07%

Days Gone

Confirmed sales = ?
Gamstat = 9 million (as of Nov. 2020)
Variance = 12.07%

Est. sales figure = Roughly above 10 million units (as of Mar. 2021)

More realistically, though, I think it will be at around 8-9 million units (which is pretty awesome!). Bringing it down from 10+ million units because of inflated player count due to its inclusion in the PS+ collection.

Additional Info (Days Gone):
  • As of February 2020, if we calculate the numbers by the platinum trophy percentage, the player count was around 5.5 million.
  • As of February 2020, Gamstat had listed 6.6 million players.
  • Days Gone was the 8th best-selling in 2019 in the US, just behind RDR2 (which we now know have sold around 26 million copies)
  • And UK was actually the best market for Days Gone, where it was the 2nd best selling game of 2019.
Take a look at your number again.

Please use 5M(similar to frame as last number of gamestat before archive) unit sold and 5.8 players stats for GOT.

The older the game the more inflate the number of players according to gamestat.

Days gone should be around ~4M units.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Price has held up really well, must be really profitable. With sales it will easily get to 10 mill+.
Several people in this thread, including myself are waiting for a price drop. I plan to play it on my PS5 but I am not paying full price for a PS4 game many months after release. So I am sure many others will pounce too. TLOU2 was on sale for 30 bucks and that is when I grabbed that game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Take a look at your number again.

Please use 5M(similar to frame as last number of gamestat before archive) unit sold and 5.8 players stats for GOT.

The older the game the more inflate the number of players according to gamestat.

Days gone should be around ~4M units.
Why should we take 5M? Also, I took inflation into account by bringing the calculated figure from almost 11M down to 8-9M.

~4M units seem like pure guesswork. The variance, as seen in Ghost of Tsushima figures, isn't ~55%, but ~12.5%.

LMJ

Man the accolades this game can brag about

TLOU2 might have the awards, but their entire staff aren't Ambassadors of a freaking town lol

Sony would be foolish to squander all the good will this game made...

200.gif

Bodomism

Banned
Why should we take 5M? Also, I took inflation into account by bringing the calculated figure from almost 11M down to 8-9M.

~4M units seem like pure guesswork. The variance, as seen in Ghost of Tsushima figures, isn't ~55%, but ~12.5%.
Because it's closer to the last recorded player stats when they announced 5M milestone. Using newly released game like GOT is impractical. Even gamestat.com stated their estimate was useful for newly released games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Several people in this thread, including myself are waiting for a price drop. I plan to play it on my PS5 but I am not paying full price for a PS4 game many months after release. So I am sure many others will pounce too. TLOU2 was on sale for 30 bucks and that is when I grabbed that game.
Fair, but the game is definitely worth full price. 4K@60 FPS and quick loading times does not scream budget price only.

ebevan91

I'm playing through the game for the first time (and on PS5). About 15 hours in or so. It's really good. The combat is incredibly satisfying.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Great game, fell off it on ps5 but just becuase I have open world game fatigue. I’ll pick it back up when I get another ps5 at retail or hopefully it makes the jump to pc. Fantastic game

Great Hair

Banned
Aint that a bit low considering the total possible market of ~110 mil? 6.5 mil is maybe 6-7%?
About 40mll. Sony Studios exclusives, funded titles (%14+), the rest are 3rd party games. So 6.5 out of 40 is not bad. In other words, %33 of the PS4 playerbase bought a sony title and %66 have not. And it would be closer to %40+ if we had definite numbers for Sony´s 2020 catalogue.
%2.4+ of that was GOT (6.5)
%4.0+ of that was TLOU2 (10+)
%2.0+ of that FF7RE (5+)
%1.5+ of that Miles Morales (4+)
%1.0+ of that Demon´s Souls RE (3+, using BB numbers, my guess)
%1.5+ MLB 2020 "best selling baseball game of the franchise", no numbers
%0.7+ of that NIOH2 (1 to 2mll, my guess)
%0.5+ Persona 5 Royal (japan numbers only, 1.5mll.)
%0.5+ Dreams (my guess)
%0.1+ Ironman VR (my guess)
%0.0+ Predator: Hunting Grounds ..

Well deserved. Wish Sony would get their act together so I could buy a ps5 to finish this. Damn broken console...grrr.... Never made it past the first island before my launch ps4 started to crap out.

Agreed. I love the game, but lots can be fixed and corrected. I think they did as great as a job as one can do with a new IP. Not all new IPs will receive this level of sales, praise etc. That being said, it has many things that can be corrected. I'd like to see more quality of life stuff like the ability to camp or randomly sleep at an inn, fish to eat or sell, more animals to hunt.

The AI can be done way better too, going from The Last Of Us 2 to Ghost Of Tsushima shows sooooooo many flaws and makes the game look like a PS3 game in terms of design. The game is literally named after the element in the game about stealth, yet that is ironically its weakest area. The enemies move like robots, they look 1 direction and don't have lots of variety, so when you are ready to kill them, they are always killed in the most predictable way, the dogs also don't smell around and hunt for you.

Less filler, we didn't really need that many farms to save as it felt very copy and paste. Though I like it more then let say Assassins Creed, that doesn't mean its free from AC criticisms. I'm hopeful all those things will be addressed as I'm sure they are looking at stuff like how the Last Of Us 2 handles AI and movement, because its a new IP, they have room to grow and add on to the series over time.
I'd play GoT a million x over before messing with the crap fest that druckman did to tlou2 (tlou1 was one of my favorite games). Mechanics can be updated but a crap story/plot makes a game.

Mikey Jr.

Deserves more sales. Fuck is wrong with gamers :pie_thinking:

I really enjoyed it,but it does kinda devolve into "kill these bandits\mongels to complete quest."

By the third section of that game,I gave up on side quests and just plowed through the main campaign.

The mp is WAY more varied and interesting,but that is mystical shit that wouldn't really work in the actual game.

So I wouldnt be surprised if it didn't have amazing word of mouth honestly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Enjoyed every moment with the game.

Looking forward to the sequel on the PS5 when I can eventually get one when they’re readily available at a retail outlet in 2024. 🤭

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I can see myself replaying that soon. Too much time to pass until the next big PS5 games arrive anyway.

Shivvy24

I think you all forgot to note that days gone has been free on ps+ and for ps5 owners for a long time now. I would go as far to say a huge portion of it was redeemed for free.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
For me it’s the usual AAA Sony sucker punch game and that’s a great thing to say, samurais are the shit.

Varteras

Gold Member
Well deserved. I don't often get any kind of bitter about review scores but this was one of those times I felt the general critical reception was lower than it should have been and it irked me. This game easily deserved to be scored higher than mid-80s. Thankfully the commercial success of this game is certainly what I felt it deserved. I'm curious to see where its sales will land by its 1-year anniversary. Though as much as I really enjoyed it, I keep wanting Sucker Punch to go back to Infamous. Second Son and First Light aren't the send-offs that franchise deserves. I keep imagining a sequel where Delsin became the new super villain and Cole comes back to put him down. Regardless, the 6 million sales of Second Son and now the 6.5 million of Tsushima show that Sucker Punch deserves to be spotlighted alongside Sony's bigger studios.

I want to stop playing the game, but the combat keeps bringing me back. Doing an NG+ run on lethal now and damn, those duels are gruesome.
Lethal mode is the best way to play in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough though.

Lethal mode actually forces you get gud and prioritize a build early on in the game. Additionally, the smaller room for error actually lends the sword-based combat a lot more intensity which requires legit finesse instead of button-mashing + spamming water style to win. Enemies go down quick, but so do you. Personally, I start the game maxing out Traveler's Attire (because I'm a masochist) and with a build that prioritizes generating resolve. I love the sword combat so I avoid stealth at all costs. Almost feels like a Souls game.

JayK47

What is considered good game sales numbers these days? I have my copy and plan to play it after I finish a few other games. So maybe by summertime.

RGB'D

Man I really enjoyed this game in the beginning but I am losing serious steam and interest fast. I was doing a bunch of side quests and am at the final mission of ACT 1. Is it even worth continuing? Does anything open up to change in the next acts?

The fights are really easy and it doesn't appear like I'm going to unlock much else. I want to like it because it was really captivating for the first 20 hours but it doesn't look like it's going anywhere else.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think you all forgot to note that days gone has been free on ps+ and for ps5 owners for a long time now. I would go as far to say a huge portion of it was redeemed for free.
These are for November 2020. Days Gone became free on PS+ on November 2020. So a very, very tiny percentage (< 2%) would be because of that, considering the PS+ collection is only available for PS5 owners. How many people could own and play Days Gone realistically in Nov. 2020.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Man I really enjoyed this game in the beginning but I am losing serious steam and interest fast. I was doing a bunch of side quests and am at the final mission of ACT 1. Is it even worth continuing? Does anything open up to change in the next acts?

The fights are really easy and it doesn't appear like I'm going to unlock much else. I want to like it because it was really captivating for the first 20 hours but it doesn't look like it's going anywhere else.
Game mechanics won't change (except one, which is a spoiler). The ending of act 2, in terms of story, is absolutely marvelous and very well done.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I finished the game, but maybe like...90% completion?
Game is fun, but its way too overrated.

Pros: Visuals, settings, hack and slash feels nice, tales were interesting and kept me interested,

Cons: Lack of environment variety, quest are repetitive, animations were lacking and normal NPC faces were not memorable (except the important NPC like ishikawa etc...) , i dont like the NPC conversation system, looks dead to me.

I give it an 8., its a good start though.

Top Bottom