• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - everything we know (or don't)

Ghost of Tsushima’s Combat Is “Really Grounded and Lethally Precise”

According to Sucker Punch, players can die very quickly during combat.

According to Fox, the upcoming open world game is aiming for “really grounder and lethally precise” combat – which, to be fair, we have seen a fair bit of in trailers so far – while also adding that owing to its nature, players can also die in combat very quickly.

“We have this phrase that we use to describe the combat in the game,” Fox said, “and that’s ‘mud, blood, and steel.’ We want it to feel really really grounded and lethally precise. If you’ve ever seen a samurai movie, you know what it’s like. These men cut each other down with a single stroke of their sword, and to capture that samurai movie fight is different than a lot of games. Because it means you can die very quickly, and your enemies can, too. And that took us a while to get right. We’re very pleased with the results, and we think it shows up well on-screen.”

dottme

I love a lot what I see, but I’ll wait for the PS5 version. I hope I’ll be able to avoid all the spoiler.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There is no guarantee of a PS5 version anyway.
No, it will. Popular PS4 games will make it to PS5, I'm more worries about games like Sakura Wars and Valkyria Chronicle 4 for not making in to PS5 because they are not popular enough.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, it will. Popular PS4 games will make it to PS5, I'm more worries about games like Sakura Wars and Valkyria Chronicle 4 for not making in to PS5 because they are not popular enough.

Those games will all be on there. The "100 popular games" were about the PS5 enhancing them, whether it was higher resolution or framerate.

I still expect an upgrade patch like the Pro for the PS5.

guerrilla999

Neo Member
the combat system doesn't look very realistic

It looks like the same old kung fu style Trope where a guy is right behind you but Waits his turn to attack while you're doing your pose after slashing your previous opponent

as usual the video game tropes are always maintained

At least it is more realistic than past sword fighting titles where you have to cut your enemy dozens and dozens of times as if your sword is made of rubber

I grew up in Hawaii and had a chance to participate in stick fighting and Kendo

They have yet to create a game that gives the sword one half of the respect it's due...

bushido blade was literally the only console game that had a realistic sword fighting experience but it was ruined with the standard little teeny bop girl characters and silly outfits/themes

for God's sake game developers
Please make games for adults as well as 15 year old boys

fewer more difficult enemies is all I'm asking for

I'm afraid something really awful could happen with this title

the ongoing pandemic may dilute sales to such a degree that it's radical gameplay Theory (realism) might be deemed "unprofitable" and not be invested in again

I was extremely excited about this title because I dont enjoy fantasy elements in my games however once this flops the chance of anyone risking money on a realistic Samurai/ninja game is slim to none

I feel like it's important to support this title for the future of gaming diversity because its so different than anything we've had in so long

I could be wrong as this may have a goofy skill unlock progression system and RPG numerical elements in striking (like From software) and that sort of tripe but I'm hoping for the best but planning for the worst

We already lost tactical military shooters to microtransacrion profiteering

RIP ghost recon

Could this be the final nail in the coffin of realistic video games made for adults?

PS...How do you earn the ability to post an actual thread?

Devs say the combat is challenging, "incredibly difficult,"

"We are trying to make a grounded game in that sense, so a couple blows from the enemy will kill you," Fox said. "The game is very challenging. We have three words to describe the combat: Mud, blood and steel. We absolutely honor the lethality of the sword.

Last edited:
Hopefully they've found the right balance with difficulty. They obviously are aware of other games in the space (Sekiro/Nioh) so they obviously want to satisfy and at the same time avoid criticisms from hardcore gamers that have played those (since these gamers are vocal and have an expectation of excellence going in). But hard for the sake of hard is a losing proposition. Even games like Sekiro or Nioh, which have great combat mechanics (Sekiro being the gold standard in my opinion) have issues with difficulty that make the gaming experience bad for A LOT of gamers. Sekiro being the most egregious offender in boss encounters. How much better of an experience for the average gamer would have been a tweak or two in the punish of a certain boss etc? Wasting several hours on a boss is NOT the definition of fun. You can only play into dopamine so much. With Nioh, overcoming difficulty for your average Joe falls into the Dark Souls trap of tedious level farming to ease the pain - which is also not fun. There are drawbacks to making a game too difficult.

Last edited:

recma12

Hopefully they've found the right balance with difficulty.

Preach!
Me and my BFF are really torn about this game.
He doesn't like difficult games and hopes Ghosts kinda like AssCreed.
By contrast, I played Sekiro, Nioh etc. and hope the Ghosts isn't "watered down".
Really tough to please both camps.
That said, the last couple of melee-focussed Sony games (Horizon, God of War) did a pretty decent job at offering variable difficulty settings that basically gave everyone the experience they wanted.

Combat on "Hard" in GoW is no joke, not that much easier than a FROM game.
If you set it on "Easy" instead, you can experience the story without stressing too much over combat.

I guess, that's what Sucker Punch has to nail.

How much better of an experience for the average gamer would have been a tweak or two in the punish of a certain boss etc?

You know that discussion is as old as Demon's Souls and will always divide people LOL
My 2 cents: Let FROM do what FROM does. Saying this as someone who walked away from Sekiro (never beat the final boss) and DS2 becaus the difficulty annoyed me.

Amaranty

Hopefully they've found the right balance with difficulty. They obviously are aware of other games in the space (Sekiro/Nioh) so they obviously want to satisfy and at the same time avoid criticisms from hardcore gamers that have played those (since these gamers are vocal and have an expectation of excellence going in). But hard for the sake of hard is a losing proposition. Even games like Sekiro or Nioh, which have great combat mechanics (Sekiro being the gold standard in my opinion) have issues with difficulty that make the gaming experience bad for A LOT of gamers. Sekiro being the most egregious offender in boss encounters. How much better of an experience for the average gamer would have been a tweak or two in the punish of a certain boss etc? Wasting several hours on a boss is NOT the definition of fun. You can only play into dopamine so much. With Nioh, overcoming difficulty for your average Joe falls into the Dark Souls trap of tedious level farming to ease the pain - which is also not fun. There are drawbacks to making a game too difficult.
I don't think we can take Nioh as an example. Nioh is built around making ridiculous builds, which can 3-5 hit bosses. It's part of the fun. Granted the ridiculous builds start in New Game+. Base game is still quite tough.

But I agree that Sekiro is the gold standard. Basically only one weapon, handful of skills, no attributes (you can increase health and weapon damage, but it also has a cap). The less variables you have in a game, the easier it is to balance difficulty.

GymWolf

I'm gonna laugh hard when people are gonna play the game thinking that is nowhere near sekiro or souls level of difficulty :ROFLMAO:

You never trust devs about difficulty level in games, days gone was another one with "the world comes for you" very difficult game and bla bla bla, lol...

If this game on hard is even a little bit similar to sekiro difficulty i'm gonna eat raw fox meat for 1 month...

Dont know where you guys read this will be ever "souls" game difficult. Its gonna be a regular Spiderman/Horizon/Assasins Creed difficulty and THANK GOD for that, I want to immerse into the world, explore it from one end to another...not tip toe and every 10 seconds have a game over possibility every single time. I know some of you think you are better gamers but a lot of us want to enjoy the games as they are. Never understood the point of preaching to people how you should always play on the highest difficulty unless its for trophy hunting.

"The game becomes much mroie realistic when you play on Nightmare". Thats such bull, all the devs did was crank it to 11 and made every NPC cheat.

recma12

You never trust devs about difficulty level in games, days gone was another one with "the world comes for you" very difficult game and bla bla bla, lol...

Yup.
I also belive that there's a lot of talk and very little walk from Sucker Punch.
Pretty sure the game will have Easy/Normal/Hard and you can switch back & forth.
Don't think the people who made Infamous will suddenly do a Soulslike with Sony's money.

Open World and Souls-difficulty don't mix really well.
Pretty sure they want people to see all the POIs and cutscenes they built.

GymWolf

Yup.
I also belive that there's a lot of talk and very little walk from Sucker Punch.
Pretty sure the game will have Easy/Normal/Hard and you can switch back & forth.
Don't think the people who made Infamous will suddenly do a Soulslike with Sony's money.

Open World and Souls-difficulty don't mix really well.
Pretty sure they want people to see all the POIs and cutscenes they built.
Yeah i'm scratching my head trying to remember a full fledged open world game where you are not a literal god after a couple of upgrades even on max difficulty.

Even a game like elex where enemy literally melt you with one hit even after 20 hours become pretty easy when you find the right equipment.

Horizon on ultra hard was hard enough against some specific dinobots but still pretty easy most of the time if you are a little bit skilled with tps.

It's a pity tho, open world games needs to step up the challenge to make all the exploration, upgrades and skill three more meaningfull.

Bartski

Gold Member

The game does feature three levels of difficulty — Easy, Normal, and Hard. On HARD, the game is fair, but very challenging. Mongols are more aggressive, and players must be precise to pull off extraordinary moves. By comparison, EASY is for players who want to explore the island, enjoy the story and still be occasionally tested by a worthy opponent.

No matter which difficulty players choose we never increase the health of enemies; this is to maintain the lethality of the katana. Our combat is all about the player’s skill.

Last edited:

shaddam

Just preordered it. A guy on a hungarian forum posted some good things about the game. I'm kind of hyped now :messenger_smirking:

Reactions: MrS
Top Bottom