• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - everything we know (or don't)

cormack12

Gold Member
So the game isn't far off release and we don't seem to have a whole lot of gameplay demonstrating the gameplay but quite a lot of textual descriptions, just general high level stuff

What is the release date for Ghost of Tsushima on PS4?
Ghost of Tsushima is scheduled to release exclusively on PS4 worldwide on 17th July 2020.

What is Ghost of Tsushima about?
Ghost of Tsushima is an open world action adventure set during the Mongol invasion of Tsushima Island. Taking place in 1274, the game tells the tale of Jin, a samurai who barely survives a battle with the Mongol army. In order to fight back, Jin adopts new strategies and develops new techniques to catch his enemies off-guard. He becomes known as the titular Ghost of Tsushima, striking fear into his foes from the shadows.

ghost-of-tsushima-ps4-playstation-4-faq-guide-5.original.jpg

Will there be crafting in Ghost of Tsushima?
Unknown

Ghost of Tsushima's main character is Jin Sakai

RMDacqpg45Vc9mQ2LtMZen-650-80.jpg.webp

Protagonist Jin Sakai is one of the last line of defences against the Mongol hordes that are invading Tsushima - but fortunately, he's got katana skills befitting a one-man army. Rather than some ornate armor, Jin prefers to wear a straw raincoat to better insulate himself from the rain and winds.

Of course, Jin can't possibly fight off the Mongol army on his own. He has to gather allies - like Masako, the skilled archer who features prominently in the gameplay debut. Her allegiance with Jin goes south when he protects the monk that she wants revenge on, resulting in a duel even as the enemy forces approach. Clearly, recruiting the people of Tsushima to fight by your side won't be easy - but it's ultimately necessary.

Ghost of Tsushima gameplay has swords, stealth, and grappling hooks

CgfAFj8mS3eeAPNCqt4qjh-650-80.jpg.webp

From what we've seen, the skirmishes focus on the art of the counterattack, with Jin patiently waiting for his opponents to charge him before deflecting their strikes and slicing them for the kill. When it's you against many, you'll need to properly time your counters to ward off all types of weapons, including swords, spears, and shield slams.

There are also stealth segments, where you can get the jump on a group of enemies and trigger a time-slowing targeting system that lets Jin execute multiple foes in quick succession. To help you reach better ambushing spots, Jin has a grappling hook to quickly scale structures. Think Uncharted 4.

Trailer with Gameplay

Last edited:

Tamy

Banned
Is there any new unscripted gameplay available? So far, I've only seen old and scripted gameplay from E3 2018.

cormack12

Gold Member
It looks like Uncharted in the cinematic story exposition then you get to an arena where you have the fights. If you go in stealthily it looks like the OHK fear takedowns are used from Batman. It looks decent but I dunno how they will handle say archers or ranged enemies as part of the encounters. There isn't a lot to go off and the HUD is hidden so you can't even guess at like skills/talents/stamina etc.

The Shepard

It is strange how little we've seen of this game considering it's out in 2 months. It's hard to justify a day one purchase atm even though what I've seen looks really good. I may just wait till PS5 and see what peoples opinions are before a buy. The graphics are some of the best, that grass looks amazing, reminds me of horizon.

I'm very interested, I'm sold on the setting alone and track record of the developer.
I don't like when games show too much, there's always little room for surprises and discovery. I'm also a big fan of gaming events so in the past was very hard for me to avoid all the gameplay presentations, I enjoy too much the sheer atmosphere of the event, so I really can't balance myselft into this.
Now I'm going into this game like I was until mid-00s, I can't be more excited!
I also studied a bit of the actual history of japan in the past, so I'm very interested in their take on this subject.

I understand that there will be people pissed in not knowing everything, that want to scrutinize the gameplay to decide to invest their money, but I'm glad there isn't so much info out there.
You guys will have plenty of material once the game will be out, don't worry.

Last edited:
It looks like Uncharted in the cinematic story exposition then you get to an arena where you have the fights. If you go in stealthily it looks like the OHK fear takedowns are used from Batman. It looks decent but I dunno how they will handle say archers or ranged enemies as part of the encounters. There isn't a lot to go off and the HUD is hidden so you can't even guess at like skills/talents/stamina etc.
Uncharted was not an open world, but open parts of a world. I know The Lost Legacy is better but far from a real open world. So it would a real improvement if those parts are bigger and a great start for next gen.

"Looks decent"? Most of the people still believe it's a ps5 game! Check out the DF analyse.

Great job cormack12 cormack12 ! 👏👍

recma12

I wonder when we will see actual people playing the game.
I get that E3 and gamescom are a no go this year but at least give it to a twitch streamer for 2-3 hours.
Am hyped as fuck for the setting and what they've shown but.... I believe it when I see it, as in "random gameplay by a person that's not on Sony's payroll".

Have 0 clue how that combat system is supposed to work and how balanced it is.
From the videos, the combat looks like Sekiro's if every hit was a one-shot-kill and there were no indicators on screen......
Is it like Bushido blade? One hit = one kill? That I don't see how they can offer that on a low difficulty.....
I want to believe that the game will be great but I really try to manage my expectations.

If they really had invented a groundbreaking "one shot kill" melee combat mechanic, they would put the game in people's hands to experience that.

GymWolf

some more confirmed details:

different armours and outfits for ninja and samurai style

2 different skill three for ninja and samurai

with the more heavy samurai armours you can't climb buildings but you have more defense

with ninja outfit during the day you can scare npc who can run from you or fight you

no icons in the map or gps function so more natural landmarks i suppose

far more bigger than their latest biggest game (infamous 3)

no sekiro\souls level of challenge

Last edited:

Keihart

I'm also worried about how little we know about it and how close we are to it's release.
The karma system from Infamous was confirmed to be coming back in one of the PS blogs posts, you'll have options on how to deal with some missions changing the npcs relations with you character and supposedly affecting the development of your character, so i'm guessing without further details that it's like the infamous karma system.

I wanted to imagine some ninja movement like skills when the game was announced, but seeing it now i doubt it. A SP's game without good movement options is going to be weird, and this game it's been in development for what it seems like forever.

Last edited:

recma12

It looks like a mix between Blushido Blade and Yakuza, but maybe i'm wrong.

Honestly, I have no clue how those two mechanics are supposed to work together.
Keep in mind that Bushido Blade was a 1v1 fighting game where not getting hit was doable, by contrast Yakuza is a brawler where you eventually will get hit (multiple times).

Here's the thing: Sekiro and Nioh are the closest comparable games and both of them had detailed combat footage and explanations months before release.
Tsushima just has one fight scene out and nobody is any smarter because of it.

This is what makes me so nervous about the game. Could be the coolest thing ever, could be shit.

Worst case scenario (hope I'm wrong): fights against large groups have different combat mechanics than 1v1 fights.
1v1s are glorified QTE's.

jaysius

Banned
"Looks decent"? Most of the people still believe it's a ps5 game! Check out the DF analyse.

Great job cormack12 cormack12 ! 👏👍

That is a Gamingbolt video NOT Digital Foundry, maybe you posted the wrong link?

If anything that "analysis" proves that these videos are probably bullshots, not running on actual PS4 hardware.

Not seeing real gameplay from this thing at this point isn't a good sign. I think even Days Gone had more real gameplay released at this stage in pre-release.

That is a Gamingbolt video NOT Digital Foundry, maybe you posted the wrong link?

If anything that "analysis" proves that these videos are probably bullshots, not running on actual PS4 hardware.

Not seeing real gameplay from this thing at this point isn't a good sign. I think even Days Gone had more real gameplay released at this stage in pre-release.
Oppss... here is the good one. It's running on Pro.

Nero_PR

Banned
I saw someone mention that Sony might be waiting to show the PS5 and maybe more of Ghost of Tsushima together with it. It could be a chance for a huge marketing play if they offered the PS5 upgrade for their first-party titles for free, with Ghost being the first of the games.

GymWolf

You people can ask me some stuff about the game, i remember every piece of information released till now so i can try to answer your questions in the best possible way.

Of course don't ask me about how much deep is the combat or what sidequest you can find because they haven't released info about these things.

Fbh

I love the concept and setting of the game.
But I really need to see some gameplay to be sold, Sucker Punch is talented but they aren't one of those studios I have blind faith in and it's honestly weird to have such a big game hardly show any gameplay despite launching in a couple of months

bender

What time is it?
I've never cared for a Sucker Punch developed game. Something about the edge magnetism they incorporate in their platofrming has never felt great to me. Their open worlds have also felt completely underutilized and lifeless and felt more like chasing a trend than a necessity to the game design. I love the setting of GOT so it's still on my radar but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have major doubts.

It is strange how little we've seen of this game considering it's out in 2 months. It's hard to justify a day one purchase atm even though what I've seen looks really good. I may just wait till PS5 and see what peoples opinions are before a buy. The graphics are some of the best, that grass looks amazing, reminds me of horizon.

Hmm. Did you miss the 18-minute gameplay video? It's in the OP.

THEAP99

Banned
Starting to annoy me that the PlayStation accounts keep tweeting about it but showing anything new.

Area61

They should really release some developer diary or Rockstar style narrative trailer where gameplay and story mechanism explained. That way everyone can hyped up about this.

Jesb

Not a fan of no waypoint. For an open world game this is a must for me. But maybe it’s not going to be too difficult to find where you need to go. 🤞

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
no sekiro\souls level of challenge

I don't know how to feel knowing that this has been said. Is it too easy? :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I am feeling pretty good about this game. I knew as much as I did about Infamous and I enjoyed playing the 3 games and DLC expansions. Infamous did incredibly well and it got a lot less attention than Ghost of Tsushima has.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't know how to feel knowing that this has been said. Is it too easy? :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I am feeling pretty good about this game. I knew as much as I did about Infamous and I enjoyed playing the 3 games and DLC expansions. Infamous did incredibly well and it got a lot less attention than Ghost of Tsushima has.
the title being a cakewalk is my biggest fear, even more than combat or story.

they officially said:

-no sousl level of difficulty
-by the end we want the player to being able to take an entire enemy camp with ease and feel OP

almost all (if not all) the open world games tend to become absolutely piss easy cakewalks by half game (or even before that point) even on maximum difficulty, so the fear is big for people like me who love hard games.

BUT, they also said that they want a realistic combat where you kill and get killed with a few hits, so where is the truth? maybe some of the upgrade are instant counter with a generous window? or maybe you find armours who upgrade the defense so much that you can sustain a lot of blows?

my hope is that the game has some kinda of very hard difficulty mode already unlocked for the first run and not like many games where the max level of challenge is blocked behind bullshit requierements.

infamous 3 was a cakewalk when you were enough upgraded, the good was that enemies on hard were pretty powerfull in term of damage dealing, but in that game you can run away very fast and recharge your health, here you probably can't do that because you don't have a fucking neon run 😆

Last edited:

sendit

the title being a cakewalk is my biggest fear, even more than combat or story.

they officially said:

-no sousl level of difficulty
-by the end we want the player to being able to take an entire enemy camp with ease and feel OP

almost all (if not all) the open world games tend to become absolutely piss easy cakewalks by half game (or even before that point) even on maximum difficulty, so the fear is big for people like me who love hard games.

BUT, they also said that they want a realistic combat where you kill and get killed with a few hits, so where is the truth? maybe some of the upgrade are instant counter with a generous window? or maybe you find armours who upgrade the defense so much that you can sustain a lot of blows?

my hope is that the game has some kinda of very hard difficulty mode already unlocked for the first run and not like many games where the max level of challenge is blocked behind bullshit requierements.

infamous 3 was a cakewalk when you were enough upgraded, the good was that enemies on hard were pretty powerfull in term of damage dealing, but in that game you can run away very fast and recharge your health, here you probably can't do that because you don't have a fucking neon run 😆

Wouldn't be surprised if their is some supernatural/magic using twist to this game.

GymWolf

Not a fan of no waypoint. For an open world game this is a must for me. But maybe it’s not going to be too difficult to find where you need to go. 🤞
i bet my left testicles that you are not gonna have problems, the game has to sell to the masses and the masses loves waypoints, in no way you are gonna wander around aimlessly in this game.
maybe they are gonna create so many visual landmarks that is gonna be clear where to go to complete a mission, or maybe they are just bullshitting us with this no waypoint narrative.

Arkam

I am so hyped for this game. Seriously looks great (assume the stealth missions are not too tedious). My only concern is that I know this game will benefit from Boost Mode.... and there is no way I am waiting. Makes it bitter sweet.

I would have thought there would be more up to date previews from some of major publications about the game play, but perhaps that's still the plan.

Even so, Sucker Punch are an established dev who've been making open world games for a while now and imo the artistic direction is excellent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom