• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Of Tsushima Director's Cut comes to PS5 and PS4 on August 20!

People complaining about a $10 upgrade, get some perspective - today I paid my window cleaner £10 for making my windows a bit easier to see through and it took him 5 minutes. The cheeky beggar should do it for free.
Where did $10 come from?….if you want to pay $10 you have to buy the directors cut version on ps4 first if you want that version so you are already up for $60 there

the upgrade cost for ps4 standard version to ps5 directors cut is $20 or you can buy the $70 full ps5 directors cut

Then go and play the competition's games.

If you already do, then good for you and why do you have time to as to play Sony games?
If you haven't already, then why? Maybe because Sony IPs interests you and the competition does NOT, in fact, have the same appeal?
Great, now we can't voice our opinion about shitty Sony policies? (charging more for "next-gen" games?)

I have been a customer of theirs since the PS1 days, I've never seen such a shit show of an early console generation. If there was a game that had a PS1 and a PS2 version they were the same price, not an "extra" 10$ upgrade.

Believe me, I'm not just complaining, I don't buy into that kind of BS. I don't like to feel like they "dime and penny" us... and yes, the competition does it for free (for Gears 5 at least).. This has to put pressure on Sony so we at least get the good parts of MS.

Markio128

Where did $10 come from?….if you want to pay $10 you have to buy the directors cut version on ps4 first if you want that version so you are already up for $60 there

the upgrade cost for ps4 standard version to ps5 directors cut is $20 or you can buy the $70 full ps5 directors cut
Sorry, I think you missed the point of my post. Nevertheless, there is still a $10 upgrade path, of which I was non-specific.

Great, now we can't voice our opinion about shitty Sony policies? (charging more for "next-gen" games?)

I have been a customer of theirs since the PS1 days, I've never seen such a shit show of an early console generation. If there was a game that had a PS1 and a PS2 version they were the same price, not an "extra" 10$ upgrade.

Believe me, I'm not just complaining, I don't buy into that kind of BS. I don't like to feel like they "dime and penny" us... and yes, the competition does it for free (for Gears 5 at least).. This has to put pressure on Sony so we at least get the good parts of MS.
Its a big point of difference and unfortunately some defend it not seeing it for what it actually is...a money grab
thats not a good way to treat your userbase..no matter what your platform is

The term Directors cut i suspect is going to be used quite alot to roll out paid remasters or content that could easily be done with a patch
third parties i would agree with charging a fee but its their own first party studio...and they are adding a premium to it

You can argue about them including free patches all day but you can see you its simply foreplay into the main course
we are probably going to get god of war/last of us 2 directors cuts and while people are dazzled and excited its just another money grab and is taking resources away from them actually working on new stuff

Still bitching about paying for a product?

Give it a rest already. Go upskill yourselves instead so you can get out of poverty
You don’t need to be rich or poor to understand it

without getting into a pissing contest I’m doing well for myself and am lucky to own 2 ps5s/2 xsx a switch and 2 gaming PCs and a cupboard full of old consoles and gaming stuff from my childhood as our family is all into gaming and I find myself not only buying 1 version of a game but sometimes the same game on 2 different platforms as my son plays 1 and I play the other…and most are digital versions

if u are asking why am I complaining about $20 it’s because I recognise when I am getting taken advantage of and my pants pulled down for some Charlie sheen crisco oil fun

if you take the console warrior hat off you see things much clearer and this is clearly a lazy money grab and we are no doubt about to get more of them rather than full/new games
You would expect this from third parties but not your own first party

You don’t need to be rich or poor to understand it

without getting into a pissing contest I’m doing well for myself and am lucky to own 2 ps5s/2 xsx a switch and 2 gaming PCs and a cupboard full of old consoles and gaming stuff from my childhood as our family is all into gaming and I find myself not only buying 1 version of a game but sometimes the same game on 2 different platforms as my son plays 1 and I play the other…and most are digital versions

if u are asking why am I complaining about $20 it’s because I recognise when I am getting taken advantage of and my pants pulled down for some Charlie sheen crisco oil fun

if you take the console warrior hat off you see things much clearer and this is clearly a lazy money grab and we are no doubt about to get more of them rather than full/new games
You would expect this from third parties but not your own first party

You're paying $20 for additional content

Get the fuck over it already. If you don't think you should be paying for content then don't buy it and find a hobby you can do for free

Last edited:
captainraincoat captainraincoat : If you won't get $20 worth of value out of it.. don't buy it.

Did you get ~$60 worth of value out of your initial purchase?
One of the best games of last generation…actually probably the best and have played through it twice and probably one of the only games i fully completed and hunted out all the mongols…mp is also pretty cool and while it was cool it was a free update it may of already been part of the initial game but it wasn’t ready at launch….most of the Sony big first party games had mp modes which were free and the framerate unlocks are relatively simple on better hardware.

So no issues with the game or the quality of life features …my issue is probably more with Sony and their pricing structures and when compared to others it’s a shit deal

people that own the 1 console may not understand it and see it as an attack on their preferred box instead of seeing it as an ea like test bed for extracting money out of gamers … you start allowing this shit to happen and you will be Re-buying need for speed hot pursuit remastered which is probably one of the laziest remasters ever when you really want a new need for speed title.

And $70 for mile morales ..which is basically a dlc is probably what pissed me off the most and has me calling Sony out on their shit.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So no issues with the game or the quality of life features …my issue is probably more with Sony and their pricing structures and when compared to others it’s a shit deal

I own every console and have multiple gaming PC's.

I just don't look at things like you do.... I pay a price if I think the value is gonna be right, nothing more, nothing less.. (well, I'll pay less lol.. and I'd take this for free.. and.. probably won't buy it.. the game badly needs a skip cutscene mode, and "skip the pointless walking / talking part of this mission" mode)

Last edited:
I own every console and have multiple gaming PC's.

I just don't look at things like you do.... I pay a price if I think the value is gonna be right, nothing more, nothing less.. (well, I'll pay less lol.. and I'd take this for free.. and.. probably won't buy it.. the game badly needs a skip cutscene mode, and "skip the pointless walking / talking part of this mission" mode)
If the price is right i agree 100%

As i mentioned there its a difference of opinion and i think some are trying to spin it into some console warrior defence

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Its a big point of difference and unfortunately some defend it not seeing it for what it actually is...a money grab

A lot of things are money grabs.

The fact is, people don't care if they have to pay a little extra for additional content and a graphics upgrade. You think developers who give it out for free and those who don't mind paying the price are "defending it".

Just because some developers give out free upgrades, that doesn't mean Sony is obligated to do so.

kyliethicc

The term Directors cut i suspect is going to be used quite alot to roll out paid remasters or content that could easily be done with a patch
third parties i would agree with charging a fee but its their own first party studio...and they are adding a premium to it

You can argue about them including free patches all day but you can see you its simply foreplay into the main course
we are probably going to get god of war/last of us 2 directors cuts and while people are dazzled and excited its just another money grab and is taking resources away from them actually working on new stuff
Ghost Director's Cut on PS4 is just $20... because its DLC. Its not a remaster. Its an expansion (via re-release.)

Infamous Second Son's DLC was $15.
Bloodborne's DLC was $20.
Horizon Zero Dawn's DLC was $20.
Spider-man's DLC was $25.
Ghost of Tsushima's DLC is $20.

Its a normal story expansion DLC. Just a new way to release it. Same price.

They already did the entire Legends multiplayer DLC for free. And Legends is getting more content added again - for free.

Then the PS5 upgrade is $10. That's optional and separate. And the PS4 game has already been patched to run at 60 on PS5 for free. And they're doing another patch to add more customization and accessibility options.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Ghost Director's Cut on PS4 is just $20... because its DLC. Its not a remaster. Its an expansion (via re-release.)

Infamous Second Son's DLC was $15.
Bloodborne's DLC was $20.
Horizon Zero Dawn's DLC was $20.
Spider-man's DLC was $25.
Ghost of Tsushim's DLC is $20.

They already did the entire Legends multiplayer DLC for free. And Legends is getting more content added again - for free.

Then the PS5 upgrade is $10. That's optional and separate. And the PS4 game has already been patched to run at 60 on PS5 for free. And they're doing another patch to add more customization and accessibility options.
Thank you for explaining it again but that captain poster is absolutely braindead. There is no reasoning possible. We are on page 14 and the conversation is going in circles. Ignore him. Let them replay Gears and Forza on the competition. I'm sure Sony is shaking.

TOPIC. I bought the Director's cut on PS5 and I could download the PS4 version right away. It looks phenomenal on PS5 already (with the FREE UPDATE). This is perfect if you want to start the expansion right away in ACT 2 on August 20.

CamHostage

Makes sense. It is IMO an unfortunate way of branding things, that instead of focusing on the DLC, they seem to be trying to just promote the "Director's Cut" product and then there are all these ways in and out of getting what you want, depending on your wanted package and console and previous ownership. Maybe it's more clear to new interests that way, and they're assuming those already owning GoT can figure out their upgrade combo choice for themselves.

I'd prefer if this wasn't Sony's tact, but it's how they're doing Death Stranding DC (despite the director objecting to the Director's Cut name) so it seems like this might be their new way. Maybe DLC purchases aren't moving as well as they used to so they're trying the editions method instead.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Makes sense. It is IMO an unfortunate way of branding things, that instead of focusing on the DLC, they seem to be trying to just promote the "Director's Cut" product
Same thing.

and then there are all these ways in and out of getting what you want, depending on your wanted package and console and previous ownership. Maybe it's more clear to new interests that way, and they're assuming those already owning GoT can figure out their upgrade combo choice for themselves.

I'd prefer if this wasn't Sony's tact, but it's how they're doing Death Stranding DC (despite the director objecting to the Director's Cut name) so it seems like this might be their new way. Maybe DLC purchases aren't moving as well as they used to so they're trying the editions method instead.
$20 for PS4 DLC
$10 more for PS5 version

Not that tough.

And if you don't own the game yet, then its the normal $60 / $70.

Do you want the PS5 version of Ghost or are you fine with playing the PS4 version at 60 FPS on PS5?

$20 for PS4 DLC
$10 more for PS5 version

Last edited:

Oberstein

plenty of spoilers in the source Reddit post if true.

Blood and Wine : the second expansion for The Witcher 3, following Hearts of Stone, released in October 2015. But while that addition ran for around 10 hours, this one has a bigger narrative element and a longer running time (between 20 and 30 hours) as well as some gameplay changes.

The champion keeps the belt.

sncvsrtoip

btw
The Witcher 3's paid DLC expansions will be available as part of the game's Expansion Pass, which will retail for $24.99. If players want to purchase the add-ons separately, Hearts of Stone will cost $9.99, while Blood and Wine will cost $19.99. On PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, the game and its Expansion Pass will be sold as a bundle for $84.99.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's comparing the main story, to a QA tester who did main + side quests and said he had to "test everything."

It's a silly comparison; it sounds similar in scope to Blood and Wine, which can easily be 20+ hours of exploring / side questing.

Either way Iki Island sounds like a great $20 expansion.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ghost of Tsushima was one of 2020's best games, so getting more of it isn't something anybody's going to be complaining about. Thankfully, with the upcoming Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut, that's exactly what's happening. Enhancements to the base game, new content, and more improvements are promising to expand an already excellent game into an even better experience, so it goes without saying that we're excited to dive in once more.

Ahead of its imminent launch, here, we're going to go over the biggest talking points about Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Has there been any word on how we'll transfer our save data to the PS5 version?
Will it be like FF7RI where they release a patch for the PS4 version so that you can upload your save data, then once you boot into the PS5 version you have the option to download the save data?

HotPocket69

Banned
So on PSN the $20 PS4 upgrade is already up to purchase as well as the full $70 enchilada. Did SP say when the $30 PS5 upgrade is going to appear on the store to preorder?

matty3092

I'm genuinely confused here I've been trying to find the digital standard edition to ps5 upgrade on the store and it doesn't seem to be there I'm in the UK btw

Elios83

I'm genuinely confused here I've been trying to find the digital standard edition to ps5 upgrade on the store and it doesn't seem to be there I'm in the UK btw

Atm there is no PS5 upgrade available, you can only buy the Iki island DLC and turn your PS4 copy into the PS4 Director's Cut version for 19.99$
I guess the PS5 upgrade (that requires you to have the PS4 Director's Cut) will available later or directly at launch.

Last edited:

matty3092

Atm there is no PS5 upgrade available, you can only buy the Iki island DLC and turn your PS4 copy into the PS4 Director's Cut version for 19.99$
I guess the PS5 upgrade (that requires you to have the PS4 Director's Cut) will available later or directly at launch.
What a shitshow tbh there was absolutely no need to make it this confusing. Thanks for the reply though.

Urban

So i have a Question. I got the PS4 Version of the Game and the Only version i can buy is the 19,99€ Directors Cut update. But how do i upgrade it to the PS5 Edition? The Tags that are shown are PS4 / Add on

NVM saw that asked the same question. The question now is: Do i buy the 19,99 Version now and later the 10€ upgrade or wait? im confused.

Crimsonhead

Neo Member
So i have a Question. I got the PS4 Version of the Game and the Only version i can buy is the 19,99€ Directors Cut update. But how do i upgrade it to the PS5 Edition? The Tags that are shown are PS4 / Add on

NVM saw that asked the same question. The question now is: Do i buy the 19,99 Version now and later the 10€ upgrade or wait? im confused

NVM saw that asked the same question. The question now is: Do i buy the 19,99 Version now and later the 10€ upgrade or wait? im confused.
what i did was,upgraded to directors cut because of the pre-reservation bonus (yes i like those things) and tomorrow will buy the update for PS5

nowhat

So the store keeps on sucking - it's past midnight here, and as I had already bought the DC update, was waiting for when the 10€ PS5 update becomes available.

And it doesn't show up in the store, or not as you'd expect anyway. There's the full game, for the full price. But if you click that, then it shows the actual price for the upgrade. Which, in my case, is 10€. Oh well, downloading right now but fuck it, I'll go to sleep and start tomorrow.

Regarding PS5 upgrades, I think there must be at least some updated assets in there as well, because the PS4 version (without Legends) is 49GB and the PS5 version is 59GB. Or Sucker Punch has not released the Kraken yet. At any rate, that's it for me for now, next morning I'll go full samurai (I have an appointment for my second covid shot in the afternoon, but that gives a nice excuse to get some sushi and sake at the same time).

Bartski

Gold Member
downloading the PS5 ver and all updates!

Lets Go Hype GIF by Call of Duty

Rayderism

I'm wondering if I should just continue my initial playthrough (finished, but not plat'd, lots of side stuff left) and just head to the new island (if I can do that), start all over again to play the game fresh with the new DLC incorporated, or go with NG+ and blast my way through with my OP'd self.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
How the FUCK can you upgrade and play GOT if you have the disc version..... I bought the expansion and cannot buy the upgrade.

This is some bullshit.

Edit: Nevermind, I deleted it and tried that way...seemed to work

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
So the store keeps on sucking - it's past midnight here, and as I had already bought the DC update, was waiting for when the 10€ PS5 update becomes available.

And it doesn't show up in the store, or not as you'd expect anyway. There's the full game, for the full price. But if you click that, then it shows the actual price for the upgrade. Which, in my case, is 10€. Oh well, downloading right now but fuck it, I'll go to sleep and start tomorrow.

Regarding PS5 upgrades, I think there must be at least some updated assets in there as well, because the PS4 version (without Legends) is 49GB and the PS5 version is 59GB. Or Sucker Punch has not released the Kraken yet. At any rate, that's it for me for now, next morning I'll go full samurai (I have an appointment for my second covid shot in the afternoon, but that gives a nice excuse to get some sushi and sake at the same time).

Thanks for the update and clarification!

saintjules

How the FUCK can you upgrade and play GOT if you have the disc version..... I bought the expansion and cannot buy the upgrade.

This is some bullshit.

I'm just waiting until tomorrow and do everything at once.

K2D

Banned
I though I had bought the PS5 upgrade.. was wondering why it wasn't ~$10 dollars as advertised, oh well.. FUCK!

HHg7w6r.jpg

I hate this pricing scheme with a vengeance!

Urban

This is some bullshit.

Hey same for me: I bought the 19.99 package yesterday and today the 10 bucks upgrade and after that it downloaded the PS5 version

@All who upgraded today: Look at you space. The PS4 version is still installed! Delete it

Greggy

Hey same for me: I bought the 19.99 package yesterday and today the 10 bucks upgrade and after that it downloaded the PS5 version

@All who upgraded today: Look at you space. The PS4 version is still installed! Delete it
After having transfered your ps4 save to ps5 from the ps5 version's menu, of course.

saintjules

FYI for anyone who may have had the PS4 disc in their PS5 before the release. The $30 upgrade option doesn't appear until you eject the disc and re-insert. I was looking all over for it before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom