• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Of Tsushima Director's Cut comes to PS5 and PS4 on August 20!

Three

Really cool... But:

"Thanks to the PS5’s ability to render cinematics in real time, cutscenes in Ghost of Tsushima and on Iki Island on PS5 will now offer lip sync for Japanese voice over."

Ps5 only?

Season 2 The One Where Joey Moves Out GIF by Friends

Well, I guess I will buy/upgrade this when I get a ps5.
Does this mean it was prerendered before? I don't think it was.

John Wick

Ah yes, the magical "entitled" definition that gets abused when one has no arguments. 😂

By all means, feel free to keep rejoicing about having to give more money to a corporation for small updates to a product you already paid for.

Besides the fact that the lip sync is done automatically nowadays, as there are tools for that (the difference is simply that on PS5 cutscenes run in real-time, so that's a possibility), Microsoft offers a large amount of free content to Microsoft Flight Simulator users every two months.

In comparison, this is... quite unimpressive.

The stuff included in the "PS5 upgrade" pretty much qualifies as stuff that almost every other developer/publisher would offer as a free update.
You mean like the free Storm Island expansion pack for Forza Horizon 2? MS totally gave that as a free upgrade? Same with every other expansion?

RGB'D

SONY should be ashamed of this pricing structure. Also game is overrated as hell. I played into Act 2 and put it down. Boring, rinse and repeat mission structures and the combat even began to wear although that was by far the best part of the game. I also don't enjoy assassins creed games so maybe this has something to do with it since they are fairly similar...

Keihart

20 for the upgrade sounds pretty good, i was actually expecting to just get ripped at 70 premium Vbucks.

The japanese lip sync looks tight.

Edit: no lip sync on the PS4 version? that's fucking rough.

Last edited:

nordique

" If you already own Ghost of Tsushima on PS4:
You can pre-order an upgrade to Director’s Cut on PS4 for $19.99 USD. This upgrade will become available starting on August 20.

- Starting on August 20:
If you bought Director’s Cut PS4, you’ll be able to upgrade to Director’s Cut PS5 at any time for $9.99 USD
You can also upgrade directly (from original Ghost of Tsushima PS4) to Director’s Cut on PS5 for $29.99 USD"

This means you can only pre-order the PS4 version now, and to upgrade to the PS5 version, you have to wait until launch day in order to do so.

Edit: nvm. I’m an idiot

thanks Z Zones haha

Last edited:

zombrex

Happy i did not buy at launch. Early adopters are unfortunately treated like suckers when it comes to cross gen. Was obvious this would come to ps5 later.

Why do I get the feeling that the last of us 2 faction mode is going to be behind a paid upgrade also

they are really going all out on the shitty consumer decisions and there appears to be no shortage of people defending it

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Why do I get the feeling that the last of us 2 faction mode is going to be behind a paid upgrade also

they are really going all out on the shitty consumer decisions and there appears to be no shortage of people defending it
This is dumb.

It's not behind a shitty practice if they spent years developing it and they want to charge people. Gamers feel like they're owed this when they're really not. lol

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Charging for a new standalone game? Oh, the horrors!

If it is packed in with a $70 TLOU 2 "Complete Edition", it will be discounted in a way. After all, TLOU 2 Factions is now a standalone game that they have been working on for multiple years. They can charge a full fat $60 or $70 for it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
No one gives a fuck about lipsynce if it's paid. And as for dualsense and 3d audio that shit shouldn't cost money. Square Enix allowed people to upgrade for free on Final Fantasy 7. And the extra content was paid. They could have done the same with the upgrade and charged for Ikishima island DLC. But Sony got greedy.
Maybe they feel like the work they put into the game is fully worth $10 for the upgrades

Roufianos

I mean, Sony charged £70 / $70 for The Nioh Collection and yea those games are awesome but they're infinitely more niche than GoT.

Get ready for a generation of being nickle and dimed by Sony.

Knightsoftheround

Neo Member
I don't think there is any issue charging for the expansion. Without knowing a lot about it the leakers said it's pretty big in terms of content so no problem paying for it.

However, making the upgrade more expensive on the PS5 is a shitty move imo. They haven't even added a great deal to the PS5 version and the extra $10 isn't warranted.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

I don't see a problem if they charge for it as a standalone product or an expansion. It's new content that's taking them a lot of time to develop. When you were buying TLoU2 you knew you were paying for sp only.

What's not cool is expecting money simply for upgrading the game to 'next-gen' version. Sony is definitely going anti-consumer with GoT's 10$ pricetag.

Last edited:

matty3092

I'm confused so I bought GoT on ps4 digitally a few months ago but when I checked the store there's no option to buy the upgrade from the ps4 to the ps5 version? How does it work? Unless it's not up in the UK yet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm confused so I bought GoT on ps4 digitally a few months ago but when I checked the store there's no option to buy the upgrade from the ps4 to the ps5 version? How does it work? Unless it's not up in the UK yet.
The upgrade launches and can be purchased on August 20th. So wait until then.

Arioco

Does this mean it was prerendered before? I don't think it was.

No, they weren't. As far as I know only the first cinematic scene (when the samurai are gathering to face the mongol invasion) is prerendered. From then on all of them are real-time and even show every change you make in the main character's outfit.

Anyhow I'm not aaking SP to give away their new content for free, but upgrading to PS5 for free would've been a really good gesture to the people who support the game from the beggining instead of waiting for a price drop or the PS5 version.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, they weren't. As far as I know only the first cinematic scene (when the samurai are gathering to face the mongol invasion) is prerendered. From then on all of them are real-time and even show every change you make in the main character's outfit.

Anyhow I'm not aaking SP to give away their new content for free, but upgrading to PS5 for free would've been a really good gesture to the people who support the game from the beggining instead of waiting for a price drop or the PS5 version.
I am not quite sure even that scene is pre-rendered, is it? Because there are frame dips in it on the base PS4, but not on the Pro.

Arioco

I am not quite sure even that scene is pre-rendered, is it? Because there are frame dips in it on the base PS4, but not on the Pro.

The dips occur once you take control of the game, I was talking about the scene before that. The use of a mix of real-time time and prerendered secuencies was mentioned by John from Digital Foundry in his analysis, so I guess he's right. 🤷‍♂️

It's already been covered here, there is a mix of pre-rendered and real-time cutscenes in Ghost of Tsushima. This is something that Digital Foundry picked up on too. It was the same for the PS4 inFamous games too.

I don't see a problem if they charge for it as a standalone product or an expansion. It's new content that's taking them a lot of time to develop. When you were buying TLoU2 you knew you were paying for sp only.

What's not cool is expecting money simply for upgrading the game to 'next-gen' version. Sony is definitely going anti-consumer with GoT's 10$ pricetag.
The multiplayer was free in the last game and from what we understand about the troubled development was removed at the last minute to focus on shipping the game out

now people are suddenly happy to pay for something that was free????

Once again, you are confused about what it means to be a fan. Fans pay more, not less. The only time when fans get a bargain is when they are leaving the fandom in droves, causing the platform to panic and start a firesale to keep them. Those who support the game from the beginning don't get to have discounts or free things for being a fan; you leave that to Xbox where they are trying to stop the bleeding.

Blond

Banned
Maybe they feel like the work they put into the game is fully worth $10 for the upgrades
Except it’s 30 and 70 dollars. I’m not gonna lie, yeah I’ve enjoyed Sony’s output but this is the one upgrade that’s REALLY sticking out to me compared to everything so far.

Why?

Between 70 dollar games (which I accepted, I could tell this was coming years before they announced it.) and their unbelievable shitty upgrade policies and for next gen upgrades costing money that Microsoft and other companies are giving away On Xbox but not on PlayStation without charging I'm not really a fan of these moves they're making the past few weeks.

On one hand, yes I get work went into the upgrade but it’s barely better than what was a free patch on PS5. They’ve announced no upgraded textures, no increase in Draw Distance, no 120 option when you could’ve already had 60 on the PS4 patch, nothing so far says “yes, go ahead and pay for the barely upgraded PS4 60 FPS patch.” Sure, it’s nice of them to rerender cutscenes and do the lip syncing but it’s kind of ridiculous to have this upgrade cost a full 70 dollars for new players or 30 dollar upgrade for PS5 players when it’s at best 10-15 dollars.

Metro just released a patch that doubled the frame rate, introduced ray tracing to the point the PC version needs a Ray tracing GPU just to even launch, high resolution textures... and it only cost me whatever I payed for it be it 10 or 60 dollars.

Retail this should be a budget rerelease at 40 max on PS5 to accommodate the new work, pressing the disc and shipping to your local retail place or to your door but even for double dipping this is greed and they know it. The 70 dollar standard isn’t applied equally, I accepted it for the Demon’s Souls remake because top to bottom it was rebuilt to be played on PS5, but this an already completed game that received less work than a PS3 remake being sold at the same price.

Just saying, realize that if you bought 5 of the exclusive’s so far you just paid for 2 years of Gamepass.... which even if I don’t like or agree with the model the fact of the matter is this Ghost Upgrade situation REALLY just pointed out the value in it regardless if my fellow Sony Pony’s want to admit it or not.

kyliethicc

Except it’s 30 and 70 dollars. I’m not gonna lie, yeah I’ve enjoyed Sony’s output but this is the one upgrade that’s REALLY sticking out to me compared to everything so far.

Why?

Between 70 dollar games (which I accepted, I could tell this was coming years before they announced it.) and their unbelievable shitty upgrade policies and for next gen upgrades costing money that Microsoft and other companies are giving away On Xbox but not on PlayStation without charging I'm not really a fan of these moves they're making the past few weeks.

On one hand, yes I get work went into the upgrade but it’s barely better than what was a free patch on PS5. They’ve announced no upgraded textures, no increase in Draw Distance, no 120 option when you could’ve already had 60 on the PS4 patch, nothing so far says “yes, go ahead and pay for the barely upgraded PS4 60 FPS patch.” Sure, it’s nice of them to rerender cutscenes and do the lip syncing but it’s kind of ridiculous to have this upgrade cost a full 70 dollars for new players or 30 dollar upgrade for PS5 players when it’s at best 10-15 dollars.

Metro just released a patch that doubled the frame rate, introduced ray tracing to the point the PC version needs a Ray tracing GPU just to even launch, high resolution textures... and it only cost me whatever I payed for it be it 10 or 60 dollars.

Retail this should be a budget rerelease at 40 max on PS5 to accommodate the new work, pressing the disc and shipping to your local retail place or to your door but even for double dipping this is greed and they know it. The 70 dollar standard isn’t applied equally, I accepted it for the Demon’s Souls remake because top to bottom it was rebuilt to be played on PS5, but this an already completed game that received less work than a PS3 remake being sold at the same price.

Just saying, realize that if you bought 5 of the exclusive’s so far you just paid for 2 years of Gamepass.... which even if I don’t like or agree with the model the fact of the matter is this Ghost Upgrade situation REALLY just pointed out the value in it regardless if my fellow Sony Pony’s want to admit it or not.
Its $20 for the PS4 DLC. It runs at 60 FPS on PS5 for free.

Its $10 extra if you want higher resolution, DualSense haptics, adaptive triggers, faster loading, better audio, and Japanese VO lip sync.

Simple as that.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Its $10 extra if want higher resolution, DualSense haptics, adaptive triggers, faster loading, better audio, and Japanese VO lip sync.

Simple as that.
This is how I see it. It's just $10 for all the additional features. None of those features would have been possible without extra work, and those devs deserve to be paid for their extra work -- unless they are voluntarily giving it away for free, in which case, thanks to them. But if they choose not to, we don't get to be mad. That's some next-level entitlement.

If someone does not think that these features are worth $10, then it's even better for them. Since they don't value these features, they can choose not to upgrade to the PS5 version and just buy the DLC for $20 (again, optional), and play the PS4 version in backward compatibility at 60 FPS (which was also a free upgrade). They will also enjoy the new updates and the new mode in Legends for FREE.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is how I see it. It's just $10 for all the additional features. None of those features would have been possible without extra work, and those devs deserve to be paid for their extra work -- unless they are voluntarily giving it away for free, in which case, thanks to them. But if they choose not to, we don't get to be mad. That's some next-level entitlement.

If someone does not think that these features are worth $10, then it's even better for them. Since they don't value these features, they can choose not to upgrade to the PS5 version and just buy the DLC for $20 (again, optional), and play the PS4 version in backward compatibility at 60 FPS (which was also a free upgrade). They will also enjoy the new updates and the new mode in Legends for FREE.
It's ok to charge more for extra work. The entitlement people have for free stuff just rubs me the wrong way. Be it free maps for battlefield and cod or new cosmetics.

However, Several studios have gone out of their way to add support for free. Borderlands was selling for a mere $10 when they added haptics support and a 120 fps patch. Since then control, a two year old game, metro, another 2 year old game, doom eternal, and a plagues tale have all added ps5 features for free. Even greedy old EA offered a free patch for fifa, star wars, and Madden.

It's fair to say that these free upgrades have become the standard and judging by those standards, Sony's decision to charge $10 for it is pretty lame. They are first party, they should be leading the charge, but they are choosing to charge their most loyal users.

It is what it is. I don't think it's ethically or morally wrong. It's understandable to a degree. Stuff costs money and Sony isn't running a charity. It's just disappointing.

Blond

Banned

Its $10 extra if want higher resolution, DualSense haptics, adaptive triggers, faster loading, better audio, and Japanese VO lip sync.

Simple as that.
That's my point.

It's barely upgraded over the PS4 version and they're selling it for 70 dollars and bogus upgrade options that just SCREAM gouging. I'm sorry but that's what it is!

Sony just needs to be consistent, honestly they should all be $9.99 for upgrades from PS4 to PS5 because PS5 games cost $9.99 more and what's to stop someone from buying the PS4 version and then doing the free upgrade?

It's ok to charge more for extra work. The entitlement people have for free stuff just rubs me the wrong way. Be it free maps for battlefield and cod or new cosmetics.

However, Several studios have gone out of their way to add support for free. Borderlands was selling for a mere $10 when they added haptics support and a 120 fps patch. Since then control, a two year old game, metro, another 2 year old game, doom eternal, and a plagues tale have all added ps5 features for free. Even greedy old EA offered a free patch for fifa, star wars, and Madden.

It's fair to say that these free upgrades have become the standard and judging by those standards, Sony's decision to charge $10 for it is pretty lame. They are first party, they should be leading the charge, but they are choosing to charge their most loyal users.

It is what it is. I don't think it's ethically or morally wrong. It's understandable to a degree. Stuff costs money and Sony isn't running a charity. It's just disappointing.
How many of those games that add something for "free" have other monetization systems worked into the game? how many have cosmetic microtransactions etc? Those that do can add the free stuff as a way to keep people playing their game and hopefully buying more cosmetics or something else. Those that don't are likely old and are hoping that people who didn't play them before will do it now while they don't have as much competition when it comes to games with PS5 features vs PS4.

Sony just needs to be consistent, honestly they should all be $9.99 for upgrades from PS4 to PS5 because PS5 games cost $9.99 more and what's to stop someone from buying the PS4 version and then doing the free upgrade?

$10 upgrade would be acceptable if there are more than fps and resolution upgrade. I especially want texture upgrade. Give me 4k textures on the PS5 version and I'll happily pay $10.

Blond

Banned
The PS4 game is $60. It includes the DLC. The PS5 version is $10 extra.

What the fuck are you talking about?
I'm about the upgrade paths for PS5 owners? It's clearly laid out in their blog and the original post.

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut will launch on August 20 for $69.99 USD on PS5 and $59.99 USD on PS4.
- If you already own Ghost of Tsushima on PS4:
You can pre-order an upgrade to Director’s Cut on PS4 for $19.99 USD. This upgrade will become available starting on August 20.
- Starting on August 20:
If you bought Director’s Cut PS4, you’ll be able to upgrade to Director’s Cut PS5 at any time for $9.99 USD
You can also upgrade directly (from original Ghost of Tsushima PS4) to Director’s Cut on PS5 for $29.99 USD

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I'd say that's the incorrect way of looking at it.

As the guy in that Twitter post said with a very good example, if someone gives me a free drink, it is up to them. We don't go to another bar and ask for a free drink because someone else also gave us a free drink so now everyone should.

Most developers do good/free stuff for their games, and Sucker Punch / Sony are no exceptions. Sucker Punch gave us a free 60 FPS upgrade not long ago. On top of that, they gave an entire multiplayer, co-op mode for free. None of the other developers have done that. Their multiplayer mode didn't have a single microtransaction or in-game purchase option. They literally gave an entire mode for free. Everyone was praising on NeoGAF and Reddit and Twitter how Sucker Punch is leading the charge and showing other devs how to give back to the community.

When they released it, I was saying on this forum that they deserve to be paid for that. It was an expansive mode with even co-op story missions, cutscenes, and voice acting. Now they are still giving away more Legend updates for free.

They did all that stuff and more -- for free. At some point, they will have to earn something. Perhaps this is the point where they are asking for more, for optional upgrades from those who would like to support them. I honestly see no problems in this.

kyliethicc

I'm about the upgrade paths for PS5 owners? It's clearly laid out in their blog and the original post.

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut will launch on August 20 for $69.99 USD on PS5 and $59.99 USD on PS4.
- If you already own Ghost of Tsushima on PS4:
- Starting on August 20:
You can also upgrade directly (from original Ghost of Tsushima PS4) to Director’s Cut on PS5 for $29.99 USD
I know..

If you own Ghost of Tsushima:
- $20 for Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut (includes DLC), $10 extra for PS5 version upgrade

If you do not own Ghost of Tsushima:
- $60 for Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut (includes DLC), $10 extra for PS5 version upgrade

What's the problem?

Last edited:
Top Bottom