• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Of Tsushima Director's Cut comes to PS5 and PS4 on August 20!

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So same graphics, some trigger features and a small island to "explore" for $30? Nope. No story or new content?

I keep the PS4 version on my external and play at 4k 60 when I feel like doing a replay.

scydrex

I put about 20 hrs into the PS4 version on PS5, now they want me to buy the game again , wtf Sony pricing this generation.

It's overated anyway , boring and repetitive open world gameplay and bad stealth.

Well you are not obligated to buy it. If you didn´t like it that will not change even if they said that the DLC and the PS5 upgrade were free. If that would be the case would it change your opinion of the game? I don´t think so.

jeffyjaixx

I wish they allowed us to just buy the standalone Iki content separately. I played the PS4 version on my PS5 using my brother's physical copy but now if I want to play the Iki content, I would need to buy the PS5 version for full price, right?

scydrex

So same graphics, some trigger features and a small island to "explore" for $30? Nope. No story or new content?

I keep the PS4 version on my external and play at 4k 60 when I feel like doing a replay.
How do you know the content or how long is it? Do you know something?

kyliethicc

There's a story on Iki.

"We’ll have more to share about the story of Iki soon, but today we can confirm that beyond a whole new story and new characters, this new island also features tons of new content including brand new environments to explore, new armor for Jin as well as his horse, new mini-games, new techniques, new enemy types, and much more. There are even new animals to pet!"

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So I guess it comes down to the new content, is it is one hour on a small island or ten hours and a good size island.

Data Ghost

I own the PS4 version of Tshushima, how do I access this upgrade on the PS5? will it still require my PS4 physical disk copy?

Last edited:
Pay attention Square-Enix as this is how you do it right. None of this, you don't get the dlc or complete edition unless you get a PS5 stupidity like you foolishly did for Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I really hope that the new island offers at least a few hours of quests content. I'll wait for more news about the predicted length, still a lot of time until August release to pay 20€ instead of 30.

Last edited:
Quite the opposite. You could call it a "cash grab" if they never released a 60 FPS patch for PS4 users and forced everyone to buy this PS5 paid upgrade. This is truly optional for everyone.

Want exclusive PS5 features? Pay $10. Want the expansion with new map, enemies, abilities, and storyline? Pay $20.

Don't want to pay anything? No problem. Enjoy the game at patched 60 FPS on your PS5 and get the new Legends modes and updates for free.
Ok

saintjules

Expansion plus improved original game and extra legends content. Pretty decent package for day 1 buyers. It will be cheaper come the holiday sales for the broke ass bitches!
Are people really not able to come up with $30 in 7 weeks or even after the fact? Or is it the principle regarding free upgrades?

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I’m confused. Is it $19.99 or $29.99 for previous owners?

N0CYpsb.jpg
It's $9.99 for the upgrade.
& $19.99 for the dlc.

Sony is genuinely bending their fans over a barrel, very disappointing tbh.

I'm sure the expansion will be great though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
£24.99 if you own Ghost of Tsushima
I personally don't think it's looks much different to be honest, I need to see more.
But at the moment, that island better be big.

dEvAnGeL

Hard to believe people is crying for a $10 dollar upgrade, and those same people will be the first to buy the upgrade lol, i mean, $10 bucks, if you spent $500 on a console and can't spend $10 on this, keep playing astrobot i guess. At least that was free with the console.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Well for physical purchasers who have long since finished and traded in the game, not a great thing. This is almost a stealth way to stop people from trading in used games.. Now I'd probably have to go re-buy a used copy to upgrade at the cheapest cost. Unless for some reasons I can upgraded to the Ps5/DLC version without an original disc and it uses my library or saved game to think I still own it.

Derift

Well for physical purchasers who have long since finished and traded in the game, not a great thing. This is almost a stealth way to stop people from trading in used games.. Now I'd probably have to go re-buy a used copy to upgrade at the cheapest cost. Unless for some reasons I can upgraded to the Ps5/DLC version without an original disc and it uses my library or saved game to think I still own it.

Sounds like a "you" problem

JoeBudden

I'm dying at people saying Sucker Punch "can get fucked" in response to the $30 price tag lmfao.

This is the same team that gave us a completely free multiplayer mode and 60 FPS PS5 patch following the launch of the game. They even gave us fan requested features like gear loadouts too.

We don't even know how much content "the island of Iki" is either lmfao. This could very well be the size of a third of the original game since the first game was split into 3 areas (a whole story act for each area).

Gamers are some of the most forgetful and ridiculously entitled people I've ever seen.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

Well you are not obligated to buy it. If you didn´t like it that will not change even if they said that the DLC and the PS5 upgrade were free. If that would be the case would it change your opinion of the game? I don´t think so.
Most of these guys complaining haven't even played the game.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The big problem with this game is it's repetitiveness. Adding a new island with the same stuff to do doesn't help.

Then again, the market was fine with a new 2d mario game every year a few years back.

Blond

Banned

The island was clearly stated to have story content in the original post?

pasterpl

Nope. Thank you. bought GoT day one due to hype and was very disappointed with the game.

charging for next gen updates for 1st party games seems very odd and it is disappointing (Sony‘s greed knows no limits, first games prices went up, now they charging for game upgrades wtf.)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nope. Thank you. bought GoT day one due to hype and was very disappointed with the game.
Perfect, seems like the kind of comments you like in Xbox threads and play victim of the rabid Sony ponies crapping them (“wait for the Sony fans in 3…2..”) …huh?
GIF by Giphy QA

charging for next gen updates for 1st party games seems very odd and it is disappointing (Sony‘s greed knows no limits, first games prices went up, now they charging for game upgrades wtf.)
Let’s conveniently leave off how this Director’s Cut adds a completely new island with new quests and enemies too, adding new now realtime cinematics (to also fix the lip sync issue with Japanese), and an expansion of the story mode and the free updates to legends and more they are doing that require no update. This is like a $29 expansion for those that already have the full base game and $9 to upgrade the Director’s Cut to the PS5 edition? I can see the argument about PS4 DC to PS5 DC being free as an upgrade but the native PS5 version is already priced higher and this update price is already half of the difference.

Oh well, there are plenty of bit of news here snd there that sound negative for PS we can blow up as mountains instead of molehill if we want to keep some nice FUD threads going on the front page on top of entering threads about a game you care nothing about to make a rather uninformed troll post…

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Lol on any other console the upgrade would be free and you could choose to buy the DLC, but here people are gladly rebuying a game they bought at Xmas and getting mad at no free upgrades for Godfall or FF7.

You can't make this shit up.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I hope people ignore it and let Sony know how crappy it is.

But you have wild fanboys defending it on here, I hope the normal consumer calls it out for what it is though.
Or you have the fanboys of the other camp, some openly stating they hate or do not care for the game at all, entering the thread to stir the pot and just dunk on the game or PlayStation freely eh ;)?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Lol on any other console the upgrade would be free
Eh… see VC update pricing of $1-2 on less than $10 games Nintendo pulled… 🤷‍♂️.
and you could choose to buy the DLC, but here people are gladly rebuying a game they bought at Xmas and getting mad at no free upgrades for Godfall or FF7.

How outraged should people be? Shall we wait for the next cycle of negative PS5 threads and a followup poll thread (“are you finally ready to switch to GamePass and XSX and stop buying or trying to buy a PS5 too?”)?

Not that I disagree that PS5 update should be free and the expansion be sold as a SLC though. With the PS5 version of the game priced higher than the PS4 versions I think people are kind of expecting it, but e-mailing Sony and telling them directly in Twitter and Facebook feels more effective as a message.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
How outraged should people be? Shall we wait for the next cycle of negative PS5 threads and a followup poll thread (“are you finally ready to switch to GamePass and XSX and stop buying or trying to buy a PS5 too?”)?

By all means, if you think this is reasonable to you, get it. That is the fun of capitalism.

It don't demand any sort of outrage. I just find it humorous. For the reasons I stated above.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Lol on any other console the upgrade would be free and you could choose to buy the DLC, but here people are gladly rebuying a game they bought at Xmas and getting mad at no free upgrades for Godfall or FF7.

The graphics improvement alone on PS5 will be worth it bro

Ghost of Tsushima PS4 version have some ugly low ress texture in certain areas

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

Yet ppl get so mad that no free Greedfall upgrade* or No FF7.

Just for the upgrades alone those should have been good as well? No?

anthony2690

Banned
Or you have the fanboys of the other camp, some openly stating they hate or do not care for the game at all, entering the thread to stir the pot and just dunk on the game or PlayStation freely eh ;)?
Obviously that will happen too! I said above I'm sure the expansion will be great above though, incase you're trying to take aim at me, as my comment might be perceived as stirring the pot ;) (I love all games and platforms and still desperately hoping for ape escape to return)

I think Sony should've only charged for the expansion as I can imagine everyone is more than happy to pay for that.

My main worry is, people will pay for the upgrade and it will become the norm going forward for older titles that may get both dlc and a upgrades later on.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Right now we have a game that runs at Native 4K@60 FPS… if we need again to choose between native rea and framerate or get DRS I need/want to know exactly how much they are updating the graphics.

For me the update pricing ($9 to go from the PS4 DC new edition to the PS5 one) needs to come with very good Dual Sense implementation and a significant graphics update and exclusive features.

We know the new realtime cinematics with Japanese lip sync improvements are PS5 only, but more on the exclusive features would be good to see to help justify the $9.99.
Other games are giving PS5 patches for free, many are limited improvements and some are big ones (see the RT patch for DOOM Eternal).

Kagey K

Banned
Obviously that will happen too! I said above I'm sure the expansion will be great above though, incase you're trying to take aim at me, as my comment might be perceived as stirring the pot ;) (I love all games and platforms and still desperately hoping for ape escape to return)

I think Sony should've only charged for the expansion as I can imagine everyone is more than happy to pay for that.

My main worry is, people will pay for the upgrade and it will become the norm going forward for older titles that may get both dlc and a upgrades later on.
Sony would never.... they have no history of doing so.....

Oh fuck.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony would never.... they have no history of doing so.....

Oh fuck.
Again trying to go back on the console warrior stuff, it used to be a bit more upsetting but the victim shock and horror and pearl clutching when Sony fans say anything not jubilant about Xbox in an Xbox thread makes it entertaining at least.

Kagey K

Banned
Again trying to go back on the console warrior stuff, it used to be a bit more upsetting but the victim shock and horror and pearl clutching when Sony fans say anything not jubilant about Xbox in an Xbox thread makes it entertaining at least.
Like?

And how does it relate to this topic?

You obviously have an axe to grind, so let's hear it, even though it likely has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Agreed, the industry is a bit split right now. Some games are receiving free PS5 patches with significant improvements (see RT mode in DOOM Eternal) and some are just doing resolution and framerate unlock and charging for a proper PS5 or XSX patch (having to buy Control’s Ultimate Edition to get the free next gen version). So we have both practices already happening and I get the concern about tipping the scales and leading the way.

On the other side with GoT Sony actually did follow both approaches at the same time: they did patch the game for free unlocking a native 4K @ 60 FPS (locked essentially) mode on PS5 that also benefited from improved loading times.
Then they worked a year on this expansion pack, this director cut edition, and they are selling it both standalone on PS4 and PS5 at different price points (which is why they are charging for the PS4 DC to PS5 DC update, that is kind of obvious).

In terms of people who already own GoT base game (which you can find quite good deals on, not sure they have it away on PS+ yet or not or just discounted it) they can do exactly what you suggested: buy the expansion pack (with enhancements to the base game) paying a fee: $29.99 gets you the PS5 expansion of GoT.

It would have been easier to explain it for them if they only had a $29.99 expansion you could buy (raised the price for PS4 version) instead of having this split between the PS4 DC and the PS5 DC of the game existing separately… this kind of confusion on pricing and updates to ensure people do not find cheap ways to update (lost cause, find used copy or deal o the PS4 base game and you get the full PS5 DC of GoT for $29). 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Like?

And how does it relate to this topic?
Almost much as your concern relates to this game or just another chance to stir the pot in a Sony thread (interjecting in other people’s conversation with drive-by’s ). Do not think you care much for the game at all, but hey not that it matters that much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom