• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima developer Sucker Punch is hiring for a “spectacular multiplayer game”

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sucker Punch recieved near universal praise for their multiplayer DLC Ghost of Tsushima Legends. They look to be hiring for "a spectacular multiplayer game" with their next project.

Sony seems to be amassing quite a fleet of multiplayer projects.

1) Sucker Punch (read above)

2) Naughty Dog rebooted the Factions multiplayer into a standalone game because it's scope grew too ambitious sometime in late 2018/early 2019.

3) Guerilla Games hired ex Rainbow Six leads to work on a multiplayer project. It could be Horizon Forbidden West multiplayer, or it could be a new IP. Guerilla did want Zero Dawn to have a multiplayer mode but was scrapped for being too taxing on the PS4.

4) Arrowhead Studios (HellDivers) has been working on a third person co-op game since 2015. They've staffed up to around 70 employees which is significantly bigger than their HellDivers days.

5) Sony Bend posted a job listing for a Senior Network Programmer with multiplayer experience this month. Ex developer Jeff Ross did say the team had ideas for a "shared world multiplayer" with Days Gone 2.

6) London Studio (Blood and Truth) is hiring an Online Gameplay Designer that reads “leading light for multiplayer gameplay in the team, bringing knowledge, experience, and a passion for online multiplayer gaming to the team.”

7) Gran Turismo 7 duh.

8) Media Molecule has online multiplayer on their trello board roadmap for Dreams.

9) Arcane Studio creating Deathloop which is a PS5/PC "exclusive" for one year before it comes to XBox.

10) Firewalks AAA multiplayer exclusive published by Sony. Studio formed in 2018. Game is currently playable according to PlayStations Herman Hulst.

Gamers seem to be unhappy with Jim Ryan/Sony lately because they can't see Sony's chess pieces the same way they can for Microsoft. However, it seems pretty clear that Jim Ryan is greenlighting multiplayer up and down nearly the entire first party stable. This is a shrewed, calculated gamble that many are blind to.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
We will certainly get another single-player adventure from Naughty Dog and more Spider-Man spin-off's, etc.
Good post, I'm just saying that I wouldn't worry about losing single-player Sony games yet. They are their most renowned games.

At the same time, the way things are going lately, who knows, right? Sony seems to be...mutating.

MadPanda

Banned
They have to satisfy those psplus subscribers 😂
I'm joking!

Let's see what Sony can bring to the table. It feels like ages since Sony was relevant for multiplayer games. It could be very good, hope it is.

You don't miss a chance to console war and stir shit don't you OP? I mean really? Here's a link that was also posted here on neogaf some time ago that suggest they are making Ghost 2

Painting narritaves isn't tricky OP.

Oh and by the way job listings don't mean shit, at the end of the day they simply could be planning another MP mode similarto Legends for the sequal.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We will certainly get another single-player adventure from Naughty Dog and more Spider-Man spin-off's, etc.
Good post, I'm just saying that I wouldn't worry about losing single-player Sony games yet. They are their most renowned games.

At the same time, the way things are going lately, who knows, right? Sony seems to be...mutating.

I think Sony leadership is approaching it's teams and saying "We love what you're doing but if you have any ideas for multiplayer games we'll invest in you."

Sony has to change with GamePass being such a presence now.

yurinka

It's ok to have multiplayer games or game modes, but let's hope they keep it as secondary. I prefer single player experiences like Uncharted, TLOU, GoW, Spider-Man, Tsushima, Days Gone etc.

I assume they will continue focusing on single player, because it's where they shine and what gives them more money. And well, we know they are working on plenty of single player stuff.

Last edited:

splattered

You don't miss a chance to console war and stir shit don't you OP? I mean really? Here's a link that was also posted here on neogaf some time ago that suggest they are making Ghost 2

Painting narritaves isn't tricky OP.

Oh and by the way job listings don't mean shit, at the end of the day they simply could be planning another MP mode similarto Legends for the sequal.

I don't see the OP post as painting a narrative... he's just stating facts. I feel like Sony could definitely work on upping its MP game, this is in no way a bad thing. Sony fans say they don't want it but that's just because they've forgotten/didn't experience the glorious days of stuff like Socom, Warhawk, or Uncharted MP.

Hugare

I think Sony leadership is approaching it's teams and saying "We love what you're doing but if you have any ideas for multiplayer games we'll invest in you."

Sony doesnt have to change and wont

Its top teams will keep on making singleplayer games (Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and etc.) with maybe B teams making multiplayer components like that one from GoT.

And some studios will keep on making multiplayer games like MAG, Starhawk and Helldivers like they have been making for years now

yurinka

Gamers seem to be unhappy with Jim Ryan/Sony lately because they can't see Sony's chess pieces the same way they can for Microsoft. However, it seems pretty clear that Jim Ryan is greenlighting multiplayer up and down nearly the entire first party stable. This is a shrewed, calculated gamble that many are blind to.
Sony keeps releasing way more exclusive games than MS every year, so they focus on marketing the ones released in the next few months. MS instead had to market the 'chess pieces' they have for the several many years in the future.

Outside noisy fanboy in the forums and part of the gaming press, if we look at the receipts with the factual data numbers, most players are happy with Jim Ryan/Sony strategy and prefer it over the MS one. Or at least PS has been performing better than MS in basically all fronts.

P.S.: It's a blatant lie that Sony is putting all their chips on multiplayer. You Sony haters better talk to each other to agree on a more cohesive narrative, the other day Jason and his cult were saying Sony is obsessed with their single player narrative blockbusters.

Last edited:
OP post as painting a narrative
"Sony quietly pushing all of it's chips on multiplayer..."
tenor.gif

MrS

Banned
Why would they stray from a proven formula that won them the last gen? All in on multiplayer is never going to happen when 3rd party studios do it so much better. They can't compete in that regard and have never been able to. Sonys strength is story-driven SP games.

Last edited:

Holammer

Forget the complaints about alleged weasel wording by heinous anti-sony forces in this thread.
Games (or rather trash) like Bleeding Edge & Destruction All Stars are all attempts to get a profitable game going. If they fail, they're relatively cheap and can be written off. Everyone and their dog are doing it while slobbering at the chance of getting the next Fortnite/Rocket League going.

Aion002

Pop Tv Ok GIF by One Day At A Time

Sony always had many multiplayer games, from Everquest, Socom, MAG, Resistance, White Knight Chronicles Syphon Filter, Uncharted 2 to Lost Legacy, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo and many others... They released a few months back that multiplayer only Predator game....

GIF by Bounce

Last edited:

kyoji

you realize game pass is just a service right? lol smh..

Zeroing

Banned

I think Sony is expanding, the multiplayer games is something Sony never was able to tap into. They seem to be trying again, as long as they don’t shift everything into multiplayer I think it’s good, more options for gamers. The studios are knows for their single player games, they expanded to open world in the PS4, now with the PS5, multiplayer genre.

We knew they wanted to have more multiplayer game presence when they tried to buy LeYou (Warframe's parent company). I think it is a good idea for them to try to build multiplayer experiences or games, it seems to be an area they lack. I really wish they would bring back Killzone

Kokoloko85

I have no issues. Ghost of Tsushima was great solo, the multiplayer was fun.

Pretty sure not all the chips are going multiplayer, or being done quietly lol... why try and make it sound negative

Only time in my life I could legitimately call myself a multi-player gamer was when I use to play counter-strike 1.5 & 1.6 scrims and matches online and at lan events. Or occasionally when I play FIFA. That aside, I'm a singleplayer first gamer. I don't even like playing co-op with people generally unless it's a very particular case because I see them as basically viruses infecting my experience of the world and its story.

I'm totally a get off my lawn kind of gamer. I'm a total loner. I hate people triggering shit for me in games with a story lol.

It's good for some games or the right game, but I know Sony will keep making the singleplayer stuff I enjoy.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony doesnt have to change and wont

Its top teams will keep on making singleplayer games (Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and etc.) with maybe B teams making multiplayer components like that one from GoT.

And some studios will keep on making multiplayer games like MAG, Starhawk and Helldivers like they have been making for years now

If you said this to any CEO in the gaming space, you'd be laughed out of the room.

"What should we do Jim Ryan? Microsofts GamePass and studio aquisitions look pretty formidable."

"We'll do nothing damnit. We'll do what we've always done and come out victorious like we always do!"

These companies are constantly changing and repositioning. They constantly look 3-5 years in the future and make decisions based on prognostications.

For example, the PS3 whiffed on a number of multiplayer exclusives (MAG, Starhawk, Warhawk, SOCOM...) and those failures translated into fewer multiplayer efforts on PS4. But it ain't 2009 anymore. The industry has changed drastically, and will continue to do so

Sucker Punch recieved near universal praise for their multiplayer DLC Ghost of Tsushima Legends. They look to be hiring for "a spectacular multiplayer game" with their next project.

Sony seems to be amassing quite a fleet of multiplayer projects.

1) Sucker Punch (read above)

2) Naughty Dog rebooted the Factions multiplayer into a standalone game because it's scope grew too ambitious sometime in late 2018/early 2019.

3) Guerilla Games hired ex Rainbow Six leads to work on a multiplayer project. It could be Horizon Forbidden West multiplayer, or it could be a new IP. Guerilla did want Zero Dawn to have a multiplayer mode but was scrapped for being too taxing on the PS4.

4) Arrowhead Studios (HellDivers) has been working on a third person co-op game since 2015. They've staffed up to around 70 employees which is significantly bigger than their HellDivers days.

5) Sony Bend posted a job listing for a Senior Network Programmer with multiplayer experience this month. Ex developer Jeff Ross did say the team had ideas for a "shared world multiplayer" with Days Gone 2.

6) London Studio (Blood and Truth) is hiring an Online Gameplay Designer that reads “leading light for multiplayer gameplay in the team, bringing knowledge, experience, and a passion for online multiplayer gaming to the team.”

7) Gran Turismo 7 duh.

8) Media Molecule has online multiplayer on their trello board roadmap for Dreams.

This is great PR you should offer your services.

G-Bus

Banned
Socom. Where is Socom Sony!?! Ffs.

Horizon multiplayer could be dope. Coop and hunt robo dinos.

kretos

Banned
Don't really play many multiplayer games, but after playing Legends mode i'm down for more the mode was great and the operation was insane

this is probably the online mode for GoT2

3jpR3paJ37V8RBevPfbFiptEzy81dwSb5HAhkEs8BfvLkNg7kht4KcQLfwUWpz1GaYesrkWXLS8XyZsexxrX3YNsjLxB5MpxfDC1ZcmvVoJTy57RoAcxMtVPHQFHhx4pnMeah

Shesus effing krist with some of the replies here.

"All Sony ever does is movie game!"

*Sony begins developing more MP centric games*

"Oh my God, just stick to what you're good at Sony."

It's really damned if they do, damned if they don't with Sony these days huh?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Shesus effing krist with some of the replies here.

"All Sony ever does is movie game!"

*Sony begins developing more MP centric games*

"Oh my God, just stick to what you're good at Sony."

It's really damned if they do, damned if they don't with Sony these days huh?

This. I think I was called a Sony hater twice in this thread for pointing out the fact that most of Sony's big developers are now working on multiplayer projects.

Hugare

If you said this to any CEO in the gaming space, you'd be laughed out of the room.

"What should we do Jim Ryan? Microsofts GamePass and studio aquisitions look pretty formidable."

"We'll do nothing damnit. We'll do what we've always done and come out victorious like we always do!"

These companies are constantly changing and repositioning. They constantly look 3-5 years in the future and make decisions based on prognostications.

For example, the PS3 whiffed on a number of multiplayer exclusives (MAG, Starhawk, Warhawk, SOCOM...) and those failures translated into fewer multiplayer efforts on PS4. But it ain't 2009 anymore. The industry has changed drastically, and will continue to do so

Wake me up when they actually change estrategy

Until then, I'll be the one laughing at these kind of assumptions

The industry has changed, yes, but Sony is selling even more copies of singleplayer games now than they did back then.

Epic is making bank with Fortnite, and there are a lot of companies out there chasing that multiplayer money. But there's something called saturation.

For every new multiplayer success, there are hundreds of other multiplayer games that fail.

Sony will keep making multiplayer games, in hope that one of them make bank (like Ubisoft and so many others are doing), but it will never be a focus for them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Wake me up when they actually change estrategy.

Wake up. They changed strategy.

Read the OP. The majority of Sony's studios have multiplayer projects in the works. Naughty Dog is making their biggest, most expensive multiplayer game ever. That's never been the case in PlayStation history.

Nap time ended quickly.

Papacheeks

Banned
It's ok to have multiplayer games or game modes, but let's hope they keep it as secondary. I prefer single player experiences like Uncharted, TLOU, GoW, Spider-Man, Tsushima, Days Gone etc.

I assume they will continue focusing on single player, because it's where they shine and what gives them more money. And well, we know they are working on plenty of single player stuff.

Imagine if you can play the next Ghost in co-op with your friends? Like the whole story mode? Or tons of co-op missions spread throughout the map.

That could be awesome.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think if anything they're aiming to add more complementary MP to their already great SP games, as they've seen the massive success of GOT Legends. It adds more length and playability to the game and doesn't cost a ton. Most of them are small MP.

Larlight

They should stick to what they’re good at.

No. The more diverse, the better. PS3 games were used as an example for how diverse Playstation games were when they were being compared to the 360 when they used to be nothing but shooters and Forza. Sony needs to remind consumers of that today as well. They have the best talent to give us all sorts of games.

Hugare

Wake up. They changed strategy.

Read the OP. The majority of Sony's studios have multiplayer projects in the works. Naughty Dog is making their biggest, most expensive multiplayer game ever. That's never been the case in PlayStation history.

Nap time ended quickly.
They havent released (and mostly not even announced) shit yet

You are assuming from some job positions and hires. Most of those you dont even know if they will be multiplayer focused or only some components.

"Sony's most expensive multiplayer game ever", from straight out of your ass

So no fam, nap time not gonna end anytime soon.

Last edited:

ksdixon

As per the thread title... If Sony's pushing their chips into multiplayer, where the bloody hell is TLOU2 Factions or SOCOM 2 hd?

Top Bottom