• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima DC (PS5) LTTP

A.Romero

So this weekend we had the equivalent of Black Friday in Mexico and I decided to get an OLED TV. Once I had that ordered the temptation to get a PS5 was too much (They are not that hard to get here for $700 which is the retail price) so I got one as well. The only game that I was really interested into is Ghost of Tsushima because I decided to stop getting PS4 games a while ago once the PS5 was released and because I'm expecting some of those games to come out to PC eventually. I knew it did really well with the critics and in sales, I was expecting a good Infamous like game set in medieval Japan.

I got so much more...

Since I started playing it I liked it although I thought the gameplay was a bit simple. It reminded me of Witcher 3 a lot (which is great because it is my most played game). Later, as the unlocks come and the character path becomes unveiled I began to understand the actual gameplay and this is where it leaves Witcher 3 in the dust by far. It plays so nice, it's amazing. I love starting fights with a stand off and just kill everyone by parrying. It's so satisfying to get those one hit kills. I missed those from the early Assassin's Creed games.

At the beginning it was kind of strange to follow the wind and other non arrowy prompts but after about 20 hours I'm pretty used to it.

Everything about the game is great. The art, the music, the acting, the dialogs... The graphics are great but I think it has a lot to do with the art direction and not entirely graphical techniques. After all, it is still a PS4 game. I don't know how different it is from their original version but this is great.

Seldom a game captures me like this. From recent years I can think of Witcher 3, Spider Man (PS4) and now this. I enjoy it enough to feel prompted to go and do everything. I haven't uncovered the whole map and I already gotten many quests that feel different because of stories behind them... After many hours I was thinking maybe at was half through it but then I realized that it is only Act 1.

I played the Legends mode tutorial but decided to continue the story first. If I'm not fed up by the end, I might try it out.

It is also my first Dual Sense game and it is pretty interesting tech. The HD rumble feels pretty good and the triggers are fun but after a while it doesn't even register.

Seriously, I can't get enough of this game.

Certinty

It being like Witcher 3 and Assassins Creed is why it sucks.
I disagree, I think for the most part it took the best parts of those two games and made it into one great package. Obviously the game isn’t perfect (AI sucks, main story is short) but I loved it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's the competent samurai AC that people was waiting for.

A good 7\10 with big margin of improvements in almost all the aspects.

I guess you can score higher if you like old samurai movies, i give 2 shits about the genre.

Last edited:

A.Romero

It's the competent samurai AC that people was waiting for.

A good 7\10 with big margin of improvements in almost all the aspects.

I guess you can score higher if you like old samurai movies, i give 2 shits about the genre.

Yes, I like old Kurosawa movies.

I'd give it a 9, it really hooked me.

I disagree, I think for the most part it took the best parts of those two games and made it into one great package. Obviously the game isn’t perfect (AI sucks, main story is short) but I loved it.

Yes, it takes some of the best of those games.

Another thing that I really liked is that equipment doesn't break and there is no inventory management.

I'd love to be able to craft and carry more throwables and arrows but I can see how that would mess up the balance.

jaysius

Banned
Hopefully the upgrade goes on sale BF, but highly doubt it because it's 1st party Sony stuff.

I "only" have a PS4 Pro but I'm interested in seeing the new content.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I fell off this game so hard in the middle section. I've tried to get back to it, and I do enjoy it in short bursts...but I do feel like it's really quite boring.

Far froma terrible game, it's just decent but deffo has the Ass creed jank of just so much stuff and I dunno....I do like it...just not that much.

Bryank75

Banned
Loved the game so much... first and second areas are the best.

Some of my favorite things were the mythic quests, different armors and costumes that have unique abilities, the duels and just enjoying the landscape and how colorful everything was.

The opening is so incredible and I get tingles every time I see it..... along with the battle on Kamoda beach.

I cannot wait to see what SP do on PS5 with a bigger budget.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I'm still playing it, i'm at Act III and also finished Iki Island, about 75 hours in. It's really great, 9/10 game. It doesn't even slow down and the story quests for your allies add a lot to the atmosphere. Combat is neat with awesome animations. Maybe too easy on normal though.
I'm totally sold for any sequel.

A.Romero

You picked this before Demons Souls ?!
Good!
Because after Demons Souls graphics, nothing looks as good :p

Yes, I'm not big on that series. I never finished one (tried Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 on PC). I think I'll give Bloodborne another go once it comes to PC or gets a remaster.

Demons Souls is coming to plus soon, I think.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I liked it a lot in the same way I like modern ubisoft games. I played for like 15 hours and had my fill then never finished it. But that’s not really a knock against it, it’s really good.

Slaylock

What's the cheapest way to get the PS5 version? I'm hoping to find the PS4 base version cheap of Black Friday, but how can I upgrade that to the PS5 Director's Cut?

It’s a good game. Wasn’t crazy about the narrative but the individual design elements are intelligently and carefully crafted. Thankfully it’s a shorter open world RPG; I clocked about 50 hours to platinum.

Of the sudden influx of Japanese-set games in the past few years, I was actually most impressed by Nioh and Nioh 2, FWIW. Albeit they are the only games I didn’t finish.

A.Romero

It’s a good game. Wasn’t crazy about the narrative but the individual design elements are intelligently and carefully crafted. Thankfully it’s a shorter open world RPG; I clocked about 50 hours to platinum.

Of the sudden influx of Japanese-set games in the past few years, I was actually most impressed by Nioh and Nioh 2, FWIW. Albeit they are the only games I didn’t finish.

50 hours sound like the sweet spot for a game like this (although right now I don't want it to finish).

Does that playthrough include DLC?

HYDE

Banned
Different strokes, glad you enjoyed it.
Art & music are great, but the gameplay isn’t for me.

nordique

Way better than AC

it at least has a competent story and is not overly bloated

those open world fetch quest type games; AC is the fast food to GoT local artsy microbrewery

both give you empty calories but one just does it far better in a cool setting, vs the other “safe” option for your average person

Last edited:

Flabagast

Game sure has some some qualities but it must be the most repetitive open world of the whole PS4 generation (or a least its second half). I could not bring myself to finish it, despite enjoying its often beautiful visuals and better than average combat.

Better and interesting writing in main & side quests could have done a lot of heavy lifting to make the experience more bearable, but unfortunately nearly all the characters & their stories are pretty boring and by the numbers.

Overall I thought the game was a missed opportunity and it falls really short of the best open world action rpgs of the last generation, but it is still quite likable for its first dozen of hours.

There are great physical media prices out there for PS5.... way better than PSN sales. Definitely be on the look out...

I was pretty much fully digital with PS4 but with PS5, I started buying physical and if I want, I can sell it through ebay for about the same price I bought it for. Its very easy to do aswell. Kind of regret buying so many games digitally now as I can't do anything with them. Physical will always have that option which means it'll always be better than digital.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Game sure has some some qualities but it must be the most repetitive open world of the whole PS4 generation (or a least its second half). I could not bring myself to finish it, despite enjoying its often beautiful visuals and better than average combat.

Better and interesting writing in main & side quests could have done a lot of heavy lifting to make the experience more bearable, but unfortunately nearly all the characters & their stories are pretty boring and by the numbers.

Overall I thought the game was a missed opportunity and it falls really short of the best open world action rpgs of the last generation, but it is still quite likable for its first dozen of hours.

The quests seemed interesting to me. Most of the ones I have played so far have had some kind of background, either villagers being preyed upon by bandits or Mongols exploiting the population one way or the other.

I think open world games have advanced in that regard in the last few years. Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk also have some depth shown with quests and side quests.

I agree, though, the quests are solved in the same way but I guess that's just the gameplay loop. Maybe the sequel will be more varied as it was with the AC and AC 2.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dlc was alright, the villain like in the vanilla game start strong but it become run of the mill after a while.

The horse charge was cool.

A.Romero

Dlc was alright, the villain like in the vanilla game start strong but it become run of the mill after a while.

The horse charge was cool.

I just open the path to the expansion last weekend. I'm at the beginning of the second act. Would you recommend to save the DLC for last or do it before finishing the main quest?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I just open the path to the expansion last weekend. I'm at the beginning of the second act. Would you recommend to save the DLC for last or do it before finishing the main quest?
Play the dlc at the end of the vanilla story, they talk about vanilla game finale during the dlc.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Thanks! I'm glad I asked.
ghost-of.gif

Top Bottom