• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima continues to chart ahead of TLOU II (indicates longer legs v front loaded sales)

Spitfire098

TLOU2 continues to live rent free in so many people's head. Neil you absolute savage
Like A Boss Deal With It GIF by Naughty Dog

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It doesn't. The only reason we keep seeing threads like this is because they are from the TLOU2 haters who use Ghost as some kind of point in their mind to stick it to TLOU2. They are really sad individuals.

There are clear reasons for this too. One Ghost is priced higher and so it is going to appear higher in REVENUE charts. It also has multiplayer and got updated with PS5 support so those two things will also drive continued sales. If TLOU2 had factions it would be doing the same thing. This thread is also misleading as it is only talking about sales in the US. We saw in the EU charts that TLOU2 was doing far better than Ghost.

There is no QTE during that moment. Get over yourself.

How is it "beating" TLOU2 exactly? TLOU2 has outsold it LTD in the US and everywhere else pretty much.

Yeah the absolutely delusional haters of part 2 pitted ghosts against it and held it up as some masterpiece that shows part 2 how garbage it is

But it’s not beating tlou part 2 soooo

Nothing you said about part 2 in your comment was true and just shows how much part 2 lives rent free in haters heads lol.

Yeah I’m going to say just you considering the game was talked about the rest of the year after it released in June both good and bad plus cleaned up during goty awards season. Actually ghosts fit your description more where nobody talked about it a month after it released except for like the first week the MP dropped. The only people that still bring it up are delusional part 2 haters who have pitted the game against it since it released which is frankly weird as hell

I understand that your both TLoU2 fans so simple everyday things might be too hard for you, but please rather than ranting on 3 to 4 posts in a row filling up the thread the showing others that this is the mental limit (handicap) of the average TLoU2 fan (we already know so please just stop) use the Multi quote feature to make one post instead. Its so unhard that literally every other person is able to use it that happens to not like TLoU2.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Good for SP I guess. Hope the third TLOU is more like the first, I couldn't stand an other chapter with the tone of the second. Mostly because outside the exaggerated emotional investment in the characters, the story behind appeared very stupid and uninteresting from what it offered.

Last edited:
The backstory is one is hated by morons because it has an lesbian as a lead character for half of the game and the other does not, so the morons have to find a reason to justify their hate. Of course they could just ingore it and move on, like everyone is doing when they don't like a game.
Nobody has a problem with Ellie, she's been canonically lesbian since the first game's DLC. People have a problem with the collapse in narrative standards from the first game, particularly (though not exclusively) Abby's half. Abby isn't lesbian, and in spite of her appearance she's not trans either.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
What the hell is the point of these threads? Not the first see time I've seen direct sales comparisons between these two particular titles.

Both titles sold extremely well, both are owned by Sony.
Plenty of people that worked on GOT also worked on the TLOU 2 and vice versa.
Sony and shareholders are benefiting regardless of which game is ahead of which.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I try to view TLou2 through a different lens instead of SJW. But it's hard.

Nevertheless, I did respect some of the chances the game took with the story eventhough they didn't work. As I just kept wanting to get Abby killed.

My main issue is that it was too depressing a game and not what 2020 needed.

By that logic phone games riddled with microtransactions or annual COD & sports games are the better games since they keep on selling. Especially phone games.
Phone games are not selling, they're downloaded. For that metric it's players and playtime.

Annual COD & sports games are new games every year. Also they do decline in some cases.

And the biggest point you missed. It's a relativ comparison and not absolut. Better games sell longer over time. It's as simple as that.

SSfox

well deserved, GoT is the better game.

forced hype on TLOU2 was always going to disappear eventually.
It's not forced hype for TLOU2, the hype was because of the masterpiece Part 1.In the end imo TLOU2 is good but i wouldn't call it masterpiece of something like that, and i don't put it in my Top 10 best games of the gen personally. Mainwhile GOT is a true masterpiece, and by far the best game of SP imo.

These TLOU2 and GOT comparisons need to stop.

Whether you like one or the other, or both, it’s utterly pointless.

I agree with that, if at least those were same genre of game the comparison would have make a bit more sens, but the 2 games are totally 2 different genre.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Boils down to bad taste and gamers being retarded.

TLOU 2 is a masterpiece while GOT is a typical open world yearly experience :messenger_grinning_smiling:

If you prefer that then that's on you, if you missed out on tlou 2 and you have a ps4 then really and truly I can't take you seriously

Last edited:

JayK47

I have a pretty good idea why there are so many threads bashing TLOU2. Similar reason as to why there are so many threads bashing Cyberpunk. The difference being, a lot of Cyberpunk issues can be fixed with patches. I enjoyed TLOU well enough. Seeing previews of TLOU2, where the focus was on brutality and lesbian relationships, it didn't appeal to me as much as the original that seemed to be about exploration during yet another apocalypse. Then when the story was leaked and the game came out, hearing about the plot and characters of TLOU2, I felt I dodged a bullet by not buying it. I care deeply about characters and story and if the characters are interesting and the story is good, I can forgive a lot of bugs, poor combat, out of date graphics, etc. That is why I was loving Cyberpunk while I was playing it. The story was decent, but it had amazing characters and an interesting world to explore. The story fell apart at the end and it did leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. Back to TLOU2, the characters look and sound awful. Part of the story is a slap to the face of anybody who enjoyed the first game. It is overly political and crams it down your throat. I am sure tons of people preordered it, played it, and were deeply disappointed by it. And they wished they could have gotten a refund like they did with Cyberpunk. If I was given the game for free, I do not think I would play it, since it would not only be horrible to play it knowing what will happen, but it would ruin the series for me and any enjoyment I have for the first game. Imagine similar situations in other series you enjoy? Imagine you favorite character in another game getting brutally murdered by a horribly designed political nightmare and then being forced to play half the game with that mess of a character? It sounds like a slap in the face and I have not interest in that sort of thing. And it would piss me off if that happened in an series I have played and enjoyed.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Genuinely curious why it matters what it sales compared to TLOU2. Is there a backstory between the two?
They either want to prove "Get woke, get broke" is real or want to see TLOU 2 fail by another big title that was released the following month and compare it to TLOU.

I think they'll eventually stop as soon we get sales totals for both games.

Spokker

It's even more impressive for Ghosts of Tsushima considering that we're talking about a new IP vs. a sequel to a beloved game. Word of mouth for Ghost was and is pretty intense.

Last edited:

Hugare

Now compare GoT to Mario Kart 8

I dont know why this comparison is relevant. Sony is happy with both games, I can garantee.
TLOU 2 sold well and it's now the game with most "game of the year" prizes, ever.

How people cant let go of hating TLOU 2 is such an irony, considering the game's theme and story.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally bought GoT last week when it was on sale and played through it on my PS5 with the 60 fps. Glad to see that it's doing well, as it was an amazing game.
I never had any interest in TLOU.

Last edited:

ButchCat

If their output is consistent, hopefully in due time this will mean that Sucker Punch will become Sony's fav child and the feeling of abandonment will teach ND a bit of humility.

Nobody has a problem with Ellie, she's been canonically lesbian since the first game's DLC. People have a problem with the collapse in narrative standards from the first game, particularly (though not exclusively) Abby's half. Abby isn't lesbian, and in spite of her appearance she's not trans either.

The hate for the game began with the lesbian kiss e3 trailer showing. Take a look at the E3 thread from back then.

MiguelItUp

Ah, here we go again, lmao. Another TLOU2 and GOT slap thread.

GOT has had more replay value than TLOU2, especially when they added the co-op DLC. So it makes sense that it would have longer legs as a result. TLOU2 doesn't really offer a whole lot of extra replay value for the average Joe and Jane.

I have a pretty good idea why there are so many threads bashing TLOU2. Similar reason as to why there are so many threads bashing Cyberpunk. The difference being, a lot of Cyberpunk issues can be fixed with patches. I enjoyed TLOU well enough. Seeing previews of TLOU2, where the focus was on brutality and lesbian relationships, it didn't appeal to me as much as the original that seemed to be about exploration during yet another apocalypse. Then when the story was leaked and the game came out, hearing about the plot and characters of TLOU2, I felt I dodged a bullet by not buying it. I care deeply about characters and story and if the characters are interesting and the story is good, I can forgive a lot of bugs, poor combat, out of date graphics, etc. That is why I was loving Cyberpunk while I was playing it. The story was decent, but it had amazing characters and an interesting world to explore. The story fell apart at the end and it did leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. Back to TLOU2, the characters look and sound awful. Part of the story is a slap to the face of anybody who enjoyed the first game. It is overly political and crams it down your throat. I am sure tons of people preordered it, played it, and were deeply disappointed by it. And they wished they could have gotten a refund like they did with Cyberpunk. If I was given the game for free, I do not think I would play it, since it would not only be horrible to play it knowing what will happen, but it would ruin the series for me and any enjoyment I have for the first game. Imagine similar situations in other series you enjoy? Imagine you favorite character in another game getting brutally murdered by a horribly designed political nightmare and then being forced to play half the game with that mess of a character? It sounds like a slap in the face and I have not interest in that sort of thing. And it would piss me off if that happened in an series I have played and enjoyed.

You haven't even played the game yet you know thr story is "overly political"? Based on what? The game has a multitude of issues (for me anyways) but it being "overly political" isn't one of them. That isn't even a thing.

Druckmann printed his politics and ideology into the game thinking he is the owner of the absolute truth and everyone who disagrees is wrong, just as every SJW snowflake.
Maybe indoctrinate is not the word, but you already understand what I wanted to say.

If you want to teach people something, write a fkn book with your name and an appropiate title, not use a beloved videogame franchise to make propaganda.
TLOU2 deserved failure, not for what it is, but for what Druckmann used it to.

I dont particularly hate the game, but I do think Druckmann an arrogant, prepotent and biased person who should not be in charge of the narrative of anything in the entertainment industry.
You’re the snowflake dude. You’re triggered by another perspective you don’t like.

Funny how creators are not allowed creative freedom when it’s creating things idiots like you deem “sjw”. Get over yourself.

You haven't even played the game yet you know thr story is "overly political"? Based on what? The game has a multitude of issues (for me anyways) but it being "overly political" isn't one of them. That isn't even a thing.
Because the game dared to have a not pretty female and trans character. That’s it. These people can’t handle that. The game isn’t political beyond the simple message of “there are different types of people and it’s ok”.

JayK47

So killing a beloved straight white male character by the hands of a manly female (who was previously shown as more feminine) and then forcing you to play as that manly female is not politically motivated? Sure. I am guessing some developer felt the same way and leaked the plot hoping to better inform the gaming public. Before knowing the horrible plot, I was not interested in the game since it seemed to promote brutality and torture, which I do not get off on. So I was planning to pass on it before finding out how horribly woke it was. And I suspect that many people pre-ordered the game based on the enjoyment of the previous game and the quality of other games by the developer and were not pleased by the game after playing it. So they will bitch about it every chance they get. And they have every right to.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I think some people have a misunderstanding of the charts here.

These are not unit sales charts, it's revenue chart. Since TLOU 2 sold $20 - $30 less, The Last of Us Part II would have needed to sell around 40% more copies to chart above GoT.

I think we'll get a better idea on how far apart both games are based on how well Mario Kart 8 performs.

Last edited:
I’m just glad Part 2 will never be loved as first one, actually it will be know as hated one. That brings me great joy. Just because certain time has passed and passions have settled, it doesn’t mean we should forget about Druckmann’s grave transgressions towards humanity as a whole, I would say.

I think some people have a misunderstanding of the charts here.

These are not unit sales charts, it's revenue chart. Since TLOU 2 sold $20 - $30 less, The Last of Us Part II would have needed to sell around 40% more copies to chart above GoT.
Shhh, don't get in the way of people being able to dunk on TLoU2.

THEAP99

Banned
Cookie cutter and safe open world game sells more than art-house linear survival horror game.

Colored me surprised. No wonder Sony is gonna have another studio making an open world rpg game.

So killing a beloved straight white male character by the hands of a manly female (who was previously shown as more feminine) and then forcing you to play as that manly female is not politically motivated? Sure. I am guessing some developer felt the same way and leaked the plot hoping to better inform the gaming public. Before knowing the horrible plot, I was not interested in the game since it seemed to promote brutality and torture, which I do not get off on. So I was planning to pass on it before finding out how horribly woke it was. And I suspect that many people pre-ordered the game based on the enjoyment of the previous game and the quality of other games by the developer and were not pleased by the game after playing it. So they will bitch about it every chance they get. And they have every right to.
How is it politically motivated? Explain that in a way the avoids triggered white male narrative phrases like SJW and woke. Explain it in a way so that it isn’t obvious that you’re just a dude who isn’t upset that he wasn’t pandered too.

I doubt you can because you can’t even do it without showing your cards and being dismissive. Abby is manly? Why because she’s not pretty and instead has muscles? Get over yourself. Both games in this series have attempted to have grounded looking characters. TLOU is not a series with model looking pretty people.

It’s also the most simple narrative theming. A story of revenge by two very similar characters. The loss of both father figures drives both women. You are supposed to compare and contrast Ellie and Abby. There’s nothing political about the most obvious theming. Some dudes just can’t handle that a buff woman killed a character and it’s sad. A character that by all rights had it coming.

It’s always funny to see the woke and sjw shit thrown at TLOU. The first one was woke too according to your fragile logic. I guess just not playing as a white dude was too much for some of you.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
You’re the snowflake dude. You’re triggered by another perspective you don’t like.

Funny how creators are not allowed creative freedom when it’s creating things idiots like you deem “sjw”. Get over yourself.
Is not my fault if your mind doesnt allow you to see through things, or see only the top of the iceberg.
Creative freedom ends when is telling its audience what opinions are right and what opinions are wrong, which is TLOU2 and Druckmann case.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I’m just glad Part 2 will never be loved as first one, actually it will be know as hated one. That brings me great joy. Just because certain time has passed and passions have settled, it doesn’t mean we should forget about Druckmann’s grave transgressions towards humanity as a whole, I would say.
Seriously, I can't think of many games that go so hard not be "lovable" as TLOU2. But then again it boggles my mind that some folks act like Joel is Drake or some cookie-cutter lovable rogue.

Top Bottom