• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima continues to chart ahead of TLOU II (indicates longer legs v front loaded sales)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://twistedvoxel.com/ghost-of-tsushima-top-selling-playstation-games/

3BmIpz.jpg

TLOU II continues to perform better in total sales overall. Matt has also shared an update on the multiplatform game sales of the last 12 months beginning in January 2020 until January 2021. This list includes both Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part 2.

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  4. Madden NFL 21
  5. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  6. The Last of Us Part 2
  7. Ghost of Tsushima
  8. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
  9. Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  10. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

NPD Analyst Matt Piscatella has shared a list of games that sold the best in January 2021. The best-selling PS4 and PS5 exclusives list is interesting because it not only contains the newcomers like Demon’s Souls and Spider-Man: Miles Morales, but also Ghost of Tsushima.

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  2. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  3. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  4. Madden NFL 21
  5. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
  6. Demon’s Souls
  7. Ghost of Tsushima
  8. FIFA 21
  9. NBA 21
  10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

I don’t know if it’s me or it’s just gaming as a whole or if it’s because last year was kinda crazy but the game didn’t seem like a major event like the first one did. Maybe it’s because of the new console launches? Idk I’m a gigantic dummy

TexMex

Genuinely curious why it matters what it sales compared to TLOU2. Is there a backstory between the two?

nope. The internet is extremely hard for anything that out performs TLOU2 by any metric. It was weird when the game launched, but the fact that it’s still going so many months after release is bizarre. We’ve had a variant of this thread a hundred times.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Why confront these two awesome games each other ? Both are sony's both are great i don't understand the need to track GoT sales vs TLOUp2 ? And Animal Crossing still beat them easily anyway...

nope. The internet is extremely hard for anything that out performs TLOU2 by any metric. It was weird when the game launched, but the fact that it’s still going so many months after release is bizarre. We’ve had a variant of this thread a hundred times.
That's pretty sad. People actually put time into this? The thread premise didn't make much sense to me in the first place, but if what you are saying is true, this is a very miserable side to take.

Hal.

Let's take a look:

GoT
  • A stylish samurai game
  • Open world, while generic in substance, looks nice
  • Bows, horses, swords, upgrade system
  • Sidequests
  • Standard Ubishit
  • Pitched at a level where your average chump could enjoy it, but just about engaging enough for hashtag epic gamers
  • Actually a pretty shit and generic game underneath the stylish visuals
Last of Us 2
  • Takes itself too seriously
  • Go down this corridor
  • This
guld2n69gl551.jpg

Hmmm yeah I wonder why

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I haven't played either, but could it be because one is an open-world game released by a lesser-known studio while the other was heavily front-loaded with marketing and media accolades? I think it's good to have both. Nintendo has their "evergreens" and also their flashes in the pan.

Tbh that makes sense, once you've played TLOU your pretty much done (apart from collectibles) with Ghost you have new game plus and it's fantastic multiplayer, not to mention the PS5 patch probably garnered interest. 60fps is beautiful in that game.

Redlancet

Banned
Let's take a look:

GoT
  • A stylish samurai game
  • Sidequests
  • Standard Ubishit
  • Pitched at a level where your average chump could enjoy it, but just about engaging enough for hashtag epic gamers
Last of Us 2
  • Go down this corridor
  • This
guld2n69gl551.jpg

Hmmm yeah I wonder why
like this poor soul XD

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Source: https://twistedvoxel.com/ghost-of-tsushima-top-selling-playstation-games/

3BmIpz.jpg

TLOU II continues to perform better in total sales overall. Matt has also shared an update on the multiplatform game sales of the last 12 months beginning in January 2020 until January 2021. This list includes both Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part 2.

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  4. Madden NFL 21
  5. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  6. The Last of Us Part 2
  7. Ghost of Tsushima
  8. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
  9. Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  10. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

NPD Analyst Matt Piscatella has shared a list of games that sold the best in January 2021. The best-selling PS4 and PS5 exclusives list is interesting because it not only contains the newcomers like Demon’s Souls and Spider-Man: Miles Morales, but also Ghost of Tsushima.

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  2. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  3. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  4. Madden NFL 21
  5. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
  6. Demon’s Souls
  7. Ghost of Tsushima
  8. FIFA 21
  9. NBA 21
  10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Funny to see the only Xbox Studios game there being the PS4 version.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Genuinely curious why it matters what it sales compared to TLOU2. Is there a backstory between the two?
Both was released close to each other
Both are viewed as GOTY by some
fans of both think the other is mediocre

It doesn't. The only reason we keep seeing threads like this is because they are from the TLOU2 haters who use Ghost as some kind of point in their mind to stick it to TLOU2. They are really sad individuals.

There are clear reasons for this too. One Ghost is priced higher and so it is going to appear higher in REVENUE charts. It also has multiplayer and got updated with PS5 support so those two things will also drive continued sales. If TLOU2 had factions it would be doing the same thing. This thread is also misleading as it is only talking about sales in the US. We saw in the EU charts that TLOU2 was doing far better than Ghost.

Let's take a look:

GoT
  • A stylish samurai game
  • Sidequests
  • Standard Ubishit
Last of Us 2
  • Go down this corridor
  • This
guld2n69gl551.jpg

Hmmm yeah I wonder why
There is no QTE during that moment. Get over yourself.

Let's take a look:

GoT
  • A stylish samurai game
  • Sidequests
  • Standard Ubishit
Last of Us 2
  • Go down this corridor
  • This
guld2n69gl551.jpg

Hmmm yeah I wonder why
Nothing you said about part 2 in your comment was true and just shows how much part 2 lives rent free in haters heads lol.

I don’t know if it’s me or it’s just gaming as a whole or if it’s because last year was kinda crazy but the game didn’t seem like a major event like the first one did. Maybe it’s because of the new console launches? Idk I’m a gigantic dummy
Yeah I’m going to say just you considering the game was talked about the rest of the year after it released in June both good and bad plus cleaned up during goty awards season. Actually ghosts fit your description more where nobody talked about it a month after it released except for like the first week the MP dropped. The only people that still bring it up are delusional part 2 haters who have pitted the game against it since it released which is frankly weird as hell

Last edited:
Yes GoT will eventually sell more than TLOU2 in US. TLOU is a story driven game, but if the story is divisive then you have a problem. It's not even because of a political agenda or because the main character is oddly muscular. It's a videogame so you can imagine whatever world you want. It's just a fantasy world from Druckman twisted mind.

But Imagine if after Super Mario Bros 3 Nintendo decided to kill Mario forever (because it's their character and they can do it, deal with it) and replaced them with Toad?

Guilty_AI

TLoU1 became so big because it was the right kind of game at the right time.
People back in the ps360 era (especially gaming journalists) were pitching strongly for games that 'felt' like hollywood movies, and TLoU was exactly what they were hoping for.

Nowadays, though these kind of games are more common and still popular (even became sony's speciality), there isn't as much of a craze for them.
TLoU2 only became so hyped because it was a sequel to TLoU1. Most of the talk stemmed from the very divise opinions on the game, as well as attempts by both players and journalists (even the devs i believe) to bring politics into the fray of discussion.
Even though it won a lot of prizes, people have been questioning or critizing these shows for a long while now, with TLoU2 even becoming a 'proof' of their untrustworthiness given the story has its fair share of issues.

In short, the time for a game like this to shine through everything else has already passed, political climate soured the discussion and the game itself isn't all that great storywise.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I feel like these monthly reminders of how GoT is outselling TLOU2 is some kind of gotcha told you so. That once people found out the 'truth' of TLOU2 no one else will buy it and most of its sales were preorders.
Well, they were right.
Though this might change if sony tries to pitch strongly for a TLoU2 MP.

Last edited:
TLoU1 became so big because it was the right kind of game at the right time.
People back in the ps360 era (especially gaming journalists) were pitching strongly for games that 'felt' like hollywood movies, and TLoU was exactly what they were hoping for.

Nowadays, though these kind of games are more common and still popular (even became sony's speciality), there isn't as much of a craze for them.
TLoU2 only became so hyped because it was a sequel to TLoU1. Most of the talk stemmed from the very divise opinions on the game, as well as attempts by both players and journalists (even the devs i believe) to bring politics into the fray of discussion.
Even though it won a lot of prizes, people have been questioning or critizing these shows for a long while now, with TLoU2 even becoming a 'proof' of their untrustworthiness given the story has its fair share of issues.

In short, the time for a game like this to shine through everything else has already passed, political climate soured the discussion and the game itself isn't all that great storywise.
Your argument about it winning prizes fromquestionablee places falls apart because it was voted GOTY by players by the vast majority of places. Nice try though.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Your argument about it winning prizes fromquestionablee places falls apart because it was voted GOTY by players by the vast majority of places. Nice try though.
User voted prizes are included in that "questionable" for a variety of reasons.

That said, i know it won in the golden joystick awards but it lost to Ghost of Tsushima in the "Players voice" of the game awards, so i don't know what you mean with "vast majority of places"

I dont think that caring for justice is a manchildren thing.

Is a game that wants to indoctrinate made vs a game that wants to offer great gameplay and entertain.
If the former wins, is a legit reason to be happy about.
Indoctrinate to wha exactly? I hope your not just regurgitating buzzwords but actually have an idea of what you mean.

Whitecrow

Banned
Indoctrinate to wha exactly? I hope your not just regurgitating buzzwords but actually have an idea of what you mean.
Druckmann printed his politics and ideology into the game thinking he is the owner of the absolute truth and everyone who disagrees is wrong, just as every SJW snowflake.
Maybe indoctrinate is not the word, but you already understand what I wanted to say.

If you want to teach people something, write a fkn book with your name and an appropiate title, not use a beloved videogame franchise to make propaganda.
TLOU2 deserved failure, not for what it is, but for what Druckmann used it to.

I dont particularly hate the game, but I do think Druckmann an arrogant, prepotent and biased person who should not be in charge of the narrative of anything in the entertainment industry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom