• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Beats Last of us 2 for digital sales on PSN in the U.S....

ethomaz

Banned
Yup. those poor stores stuck with millions of this Piece of shit game.

EZJUc88.jpg

3xxfnbqe20e51.jpg

The bargain bin is almost full:messenger_tears_of_joy:

z5nwkwxjsx161.jpg
I can't believe you are that delusional :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Or perhaps it is a joke?

I mean maybe AC flopped too.

images

Last edited:

down 2 orth

You are embarrassing. It's the 6th highest selling game in North America and it's on one console. Are you high?

He's right though. I don't think anyone is disputing that it sold well, it just didn't do the numbers that anyone would expect for Sony's leading IP.

Let's not pretend that we're not here to cheerlead our ideologies. You guys want to argue that the game was a success to prove that "woke" games are financially viable, and not a flash in the pan. And you'd be right to say that the game was a money maker. That said, the game was severely held back in sales after the first week due to poor word of mouth, which was essentially driven by people who don't like the politics implicit in the game. You might not want to face the music, but being woke doesn't pay because the majority of people in the US and most other countries around the world don't like that ideology. That's a fact of life, my dude.

ethomaz

Banned
He's right though. I don't think anyone is disputing that it sold well, it just didn't do the numbers that anyone would expect for Sony's leading IP.

Let's not pretend that we're not here to cheerlead our ideologies. You guys want to argue that the game was a success to prove that "woke" games are financially viable, and not a flash in the pan. And you'd be right to say that the game was a money maker. That said, the game was severely held back in sales after the first week due to poor word of mouth, which was essentially driven by people who don't like the politics implicit in the game. You might not want to face the music, but being woke doesn't pay because the majority of people in the US and most other countries around the world don't like that ideology. That's a fact of life, my dude.
What "woke" that I don't even understand has to do with a successful game sales? I don't understand that discussing since beguining... it is a game that has great story, world, gameplay, characters, etc.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I couldn't care less about woke games. I just like good games and that is what I feel TLOU2 is. Trust me that is not not why most fans like it. I love Cyberpunk despite all the issues and the woke mob hates that game so it is not about ideology. I'm sick of these stupid culture wars from both sides. Ten years ago people would have judged these games based on their merits instead of making it some political battleground.

yurinka

I don't even like the look of the game (haven't even played it) but I see people's ridiculous hate boner for it still hasn't subsided despite all signs pointing towards it being a success.

Well, at least in USA it's a huge success, 6th overall best selling 2020 game and already is the 3rd best selling Sony game ever (and just in a few months, so after some years it may end being the 2nd or even 1st):

To say it isn't a big success doesn't make sense. Sure, Tsushima is also getting great sales, but TLOU2 is a big success.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I couldn't care less about woke games. I just like good games and that is what I feel TLOU2 is. Trust me that is not not why most fans like it. I love Cyberpunk despite all the issues and the woke mob hates that game so it is not about ideology. I'm sick of these stupid culture wars from both sides. Ten years ago people would have judged these games based on their merits instead of making it some political battleground.
I have the follow thinking... if your political view is affecting the enjoy of a media then the issue is not with the media.
And I believe that is true for both left or right.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
Well, at least in USA it's a huge success, 6th overall best selling 2020 game and already is the 3rd best selling Sony game ever (and just in a few months, so after some years it may end being the 2nd or even 1st):

To say it isn't a big success doesn't make sense. Sure, Tsushima is also getting great sales, but TLOU2 is a big success.

If sales continues like that Ghost will pass it and Last of Us 2 Part will not even sell half of the first game.

Not everybody will call a 50%+ drop in sales a huge success.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yup. those poor stores stuck with millions of this Piece of shit game.

EZJUc88.jpg

3xxfnbqe20e51.jpg

The bargain bin is almost full:messenger_tears_of_joy:

z5nwkwxjsx161.jpg

Lets look at the facts.

The game cannot be sold legally in China and it's also a western game, which is not very popular in the region.

The Last of Us Part II beat many western releases in Japan. Higher than games like God of War, Horizon and Uncharted 4.

These are 1 week sales and games like Spider-Man and GoT are ahead of it.

The Last of Us has been selling well over the past few months, so you're pushing a false narrative trying to prove its selling poorly.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If sales continues like that Ghost will pass it and Last of Us 2 Part will not even sell half of the first game.

It won't.

The Last of Us Part II has been charting higher over the past 2 months in EU.

It charted higher on PSN in November (Dec digital data wasn't released yet)

DeepSpace5D

That’s not a fair comparison because The Last of Us was later remastered and sold on a second Sony console in order to reach those sales figures. A better comparison would be to wait for the inevitable PS5 version re-release and see the final sales from both the PS4 and PS5 when the dust settles.

Why do people also put TLOU2 against Ghost? They're too very different types of games. And they're both on the same system. I don't get it
My corporate funded product is better than your favorite corporate funded product. Same reason people get into fights because their favorite multi-millionaire filled team lost to that other multi-millionaire filled team and the same reason adults still bitch about kids movies like Star Wars. That's all they've got in life.

yurinka

TLOU2 is the 3rd best selling game ever for USA in dollar sales, not it units. This means that even if TLOU2 would have been discounted for a longer period of time or at a lower price, it's the 3rd Sony game that generated the biggest amount of money ever (and GoT isn't top 1 or top 2). As an example, according to NPD TLOU2 already generated more money in sales than TLOU1 in USA.

It's true that in USA since released GoT charted better than TLOU2, but in EU (a bigger market than USA for Sony) isn't the case and the difference between the games it's so big that it's difficult it would outsell it: we have to consider that TLOU2 became the fastest-selling PlayStation 4 exclusive worldwide (notice that starting from here I'll talk about worldwide instead of USA sales), with over four million units sold in its release weekend. Tsushima instead reached 5 million copies in November.

I mean, TLOU2 sold almost the same units worldwide in its first weekend than Tsushima in 4+ months. Some months after release, TLOU2 is selling better in the top 1 Sony market (PAL land), while GoT is selling better in the top 2 Sony market (USA).

Btw I bought GoT at 37.99€ a couple of weeks ago. I completed it yesterday after 60-70 hours, I loved it and see a big potential for this studio and IP to be way better with the sequel.

Last edited:

Madflavor

This thread's another reminder why the "8/10 crowd" are so fucking based. Cause they're not the ones creating hate threads, or "Look it won an award!" thread everyday.

Jesus christ, I don't like the game either, but did Joel's death really upset you that much? "Oh no my favorite character doesn't have to continue to exist in a horrible post-apocalyptic setting anymore."

This thread's another reminder why the "8/10 crowd" are so fucking based. Cause they're not the ones creating hate threads, or "Look it won an award!" thread everyday.

Jesus christ, I don't like the game either, but did Joel's death really upset you that much? "Oh no my favorite character doesn't have to continue to exist in a horrible post-apocalyptic setting anymore."
Joel's death isn't really the issue with TLoU2.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Personally I don't consider it a "Woke" game. It's the others that put that label on the game before it came out and subsequently said it wouldn't sell. And since you are part of that "other" crowd, what about this game makes it "woke"?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You missed the most interesting part. Ghost of Tsushima is actually still selling while the other game is MIA.

Stop acting as if the free multiplayer for Ghost doesn't help it's current sales also. I'd argue that the worse thing ND did was keeping the TLOU2 multiplayer too much under wraps. They still haven't made a peep about it and the game came out like 8 months ago!

Had TLOU2 multiplayer came out for free in October, it'd still be on the Top 10 list too.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ignore facts.

Create alternate reality.

TLOU 2 was the best selling game in the EU, which is the biggest PlayStation region.
TLOU 2 is the best selling game in the US as released today, which is the second biggest PlayStation region.

TLOU 2 is currently selling better in the EU this year.

So where are you getting your information from?

SkylineRKR

Downplaying TLOU2 seems to be a thing.

Ignore the woke tropes and TLOU2 is a very solid and immersive game with good mechanics and set pieces. I consider GoT better, but TLOU2 isn't bad nor a sales flop. A dick contest between 2 Sony games, this means Sony games are simply being extremely good lately.

xrnzaaas

Both games (GoT and TLoU2) sold very well, but it's clear that Sony had way bigger expectations from TLoU2 and the pictures of tons of unsold physical copies aren't fakery. The big leak combined with the controversial main plot in TLoU2 definitely led to losing quite a lot of potential customers.

Last edited:

Valentino

Go take your face for a shit man, in no way was TLOU2 a disappointment. It has everything you want in a game, including not 1 but 2 strong female protagonists, an LGBT and multiracial family dynamic and a trans man.

It absolutely is the game of the century and anyone who disagrees is a bigot sandwich.
Ugh I see what your trying to do here. But I actually never see anyone defend the game like this. Funny post though I guess

https://venturebeat.com/2021/01/15/npd-reveals-the-best-selling-games-of-2020-in-the-u-s/

The Last of Us Part II​

PlayStation’s big-budget exclusive, The Last of Us Part II, was also a sales hit.

“The Last of Us: Part II finished 2020 as the year’s best-selling PlayStation exclusive, while also ranking as the sixth best-selling title overall,” said Piscatella. “The Last of Us: Part II now ranks as the third best-selling Sony-published game in U.S. history in dollar sales, trailing only Marvel’s Spider-Man, and 2018’s God of War.”

Senhua

I can't believe you are that delusional :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Or perhaps it is a joke?

I mean maybe AC flopped too.

images
To be fair AC still at premium MSRP price at Japan and the majority of Asia Pacific while TLoU 2 already at bargain bin ($70 vs $40), even GoT still $60.

Last edited:
Top Bottom