• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima and Paper Mario top UK sales

gcugurc2s0z41.png

Alright baby, we made it! Here's the top 10:

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
New Entry1Ghosts of Tsushima
New Entry2Paper Mario: The Origami King
13F1 2020
24Animal Crossing: New Horizons
35The Last of Us Part 2
46Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
67Grand Theft Auto 5
58Minecraft (Switch)
109Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy
810Luigi’s Mansion 3

Big news for both franchises:

Ghosts of Tsushima's launch sales were four times bigger than the other new game in the charts -- Paper Mario: The Origami King for Nintendo Switch. The comedy adventure game still reached No.2, and its first week sales are bigger than the launch of the last two Paper Mario games combined (2016's Paper Mario: Color Splash on Wii U and 2012's Paper Mario: Sticker Star on 3DS). In fact, its first week sales narrowly beat 2007's Super Paper Mario, making this new game the fastest-selling Paper Mario so far. In addition, download sales are not included (Super Paper Mario was not available digitally) and therefore the Switch game is likely to have been comfortably bigger than its Wii predecessor.

And according to a comment here, it's the first time this year the top 5 is all 2020 software. Sony fans and Nintendo fans let's call a truce on the war and be happy for both our babies and for gaming in general. Through dick, unity!

Evilms

Banned
Sony exclusives titles UK :

The Last Of Us part II (FRI) PS4 : ~194K
Uncharted 4 A Thief's End (TUE) PS4 : ~192K
Marvel's Spider-Man (FRI) PS4 : ~190K
Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception (TUE) PS3 : ~116K
Horizon Zero Dawn (WED) PS4 : ~114K
The Last Of Us (FRI) PS3 : ~110K
God Of War (FRI) PS4 : ~96K
Heavy Rain (WED) PS3 : ~86K
Uncharted 2 Among Thieves (FRI) PS3 : ~84K
Uncharted The Lost Legacy (WED) PS4 : ~80K
Ghost Of Tsushima (FRI) PS4 : ~75K
Gran Turismo Sport (WED) PS4 : ~74K
Days Gone (FRI) PS4 : ~70K
Infamous Second Son (FRI) PS4 : ~70K
Death Stranding (FRI) PS4 : ~45K
Bloodborne (WED) PS4 : ~43K
The Order 1886 (FRI) PS4 : ~39K
Ratchet & Clank (FRI) PS4 : ~38K
Beyond Two Souls (WED) PS3 : ~36K
Detroit Become Human (FRI) PS4 : ~22K

Multi PS4/XB1/PC UK :

■Resident Evil 2 Remake : ~70K
■Final Fantasy VII Remake : ~60K
■Monster Hunter World : ~55K
■The Division 2 : ~55K
■Anthem : ~45K
■Mortal Kombat 11 : ~40K

Airbus Jr

Banned
The Last of Us II : Who are you?

GTA V : Im you but stronger

TLOU II : Why why why u never gone from the top 10 chart ? Im already down to fifth in less then a month !

GTA V :Cos im inevitable

Last edited:
Hate that Paper Mario is doing well. All this means that won't ever get a real Paper Mario game like Thousand Year Door. Hope ya'll like Sticker Star bullshit. This is what we'll get from now on

Last edited:
Hate that Paper Mario is doing well. All this means that won't ever get a real Paper Mario game like Thousand Year Door. Hope ya'll like Sticker Star bullshit. This is what we'll get from now on

Good, maybe through acceptance this annoying part of the fanbase can finally move on from TTYD.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Agreed. I just want MS to focus more on AAA single player experiences and less multiplayer/mmoish games
They can do both like they did with Halo and Gears, Xbox made their name making MP for their audience. What they need is new IP that both good SP and MP instead of keep falling back on Halo and Gears.

Basically they need to deliver on something that you cant get from neither Sony or Nintendo.

mcjmetroid

I think what MS needs to do is make their own type of exclusives instead of trying to be Sony or Nintendo.
A good mix of both would be nice.

The thing is though Sony fill the void of a high budget single player game nicely. Nobody else is really doing it right. On the playstation. Ubisoft? Nah.
There's a certain quality to their releases that third parties won't take a chance on for a single player game.

Microsoft tend to make the games every else is doing anyway. Another multiplayer game. Ya ok.

If I'm a betting game and going by their decision to go all in on gamepass. I'm guessing a lot more AA games from MS next gen.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
A good mix of both would be nice.

The thing is though Sony fill the void of a high budget single player game nicely. Nobody else is really doing it right. On the playstation. Ubisoft? Nah.
There's a certain quality to their releases that third parties won't take a chance on for a single player game.

Microsoft tend to make the games every else is doing anyway. Another multiplayer game. Ya ok.

If I'm a betting game and going by their decision to go all in on gamepass. I'm guessing a lot more AA games from MS next gen.
In opinion the MS in a good position to make whole new FPS (not RPG) that has decent SP with great MP. Lets face it neither Sony and Nintendo is delivering on that at the moment and again in my opinion MS is far better at making FPS games than Sony and Nintendo.

Astral Dog

They were never going to change it back into an RPG anyways, Tanabe explained, he is the one holding the series back, that said Origami King seems to be a slight improvment over its predecessors and will gain a few fans

mcjmetroid

In opinion the MS in a good position to make whole new FPS (not RPG) that has decent SP with great MP. Lets face it neither Sony and Nintendo is delivering on that at the moment and again in my opinion MS is far better at making FPS games than Sony and Nintendo.
I think the issue is Microsoft have a type of game they're good at... But everyone else is doing it as well.

Nintendo have unique games nobody does it quite like them, Sony have games fairly unique to them.

The ideal situation would be to have the first party fill a gaming void that third parties can't /won't make. Sony do this perfectly. Nintendo do this perfectly for their audience.

MS compliment existing games on the system by giving you EVEN more of the same. Which is fine.

I'm not saying Microsoft games never are unique but they just tend to be multiplayer focused games which is what everyone is doing.

I love my XBOX but variety in AAA games is not as strong as the other consoles in my opinion.

They were never going to change it back into an RPG anyways, Tanabe explained, he is the one holding the series back, that said Origami King seems to be a slight improvment over its predecessors and will gain a few fans

I played both Color Splash and Sticker Star. Origami King is a significant improvement over them.

If GoT (if the 75K figure is true) did 4x more than Paper Mario than the latter did 18K in sales...which isn't that impressive for a Nintendo game.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Multi PS4/XB1/PC UK :

Final Fantasy VII Remake's 60K are not multiplatform numbers it belongs under the PlayStation exclusive category because the game is a PlayStation exclusive.

I can see Sucker Punch expanding the studio after the success of Ghost of Tsushima. They deserve it and it shows Sony that it's wise investing in them for the future of the brand. But what I think made a huge difference for them was the freedom and development time the game got. It's not everyone who can spend 7 years of development on a single game without people getting concerned about it being stuck in development hell, but I think it's understandable when you are aiming to build a new and strong IP.

If GoT (if the 75K figure is true) did 4x more than Paper Mario than the latter did 18K in sales...which isn't that impressive for a Nintendo game.

You have to look at it in context. It's the biggest launch for the series and that number doesn't count digital sales. UK is not Nintendo turf. Wait for Japan and US numbers to see how well it's truly doing. This is like a good indication that sales are good.

Kerotan

Multi PS4/XB1/PC UK :

This likely sold on par with TLOU1 including digital. Big launch and with digital in japan it could be over 200k. Realistically are we looking at a 2M+ seller week 1?

Looks like Sony have all the console momentum heading into next gen.

Top Bottom