• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany moves to start the removal of migrants (using financial incentives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
Maybe it is just me, but you know, am I the only one who thinks, perhaps just a smidgen of due diligence in the first place and Germany would now not be in the hole it is!

After allowing in 890,000 migrants last year, Germany has sought to manage the influx by speeding up the asylum process for the applicants most likely to receive it, such as Syrians fleeing civil war.

Authorities in turn have accelerated the expulsion of unlikely candidates for asylum, such as people seeking to escape poverty in the Balkans. Afghans have fallen somewhere in the middle, with some areas of the country considered safe and some not. But few have been deported because Germany lacked a proper agreement with Afghanistan. Instead, many have been convinced to go home voluntarily with financial incentives.

Germany has tried to convince rejected Afghan asylum seekers to leave voluntarily by offering financial incentives upon their return home. Some 3,000 asylum seekers returned to Afghanistan this year as part of the repatriation program, Interior Ministry spokesman Johannes Dimroth said.

Only 18 Afghan citizens were deported in the first half of 2016, according to government figures. More than 12,500 Afghans have received orders to leave the country, but not yet been deported. Critics say sending people back to Afghanistan puts them in danger because of the Taliban's control of some parts of the country and frequent suicide bombings. The German government claims that migrants only will be sent back to safe regions.

The majority of the 890,000 migrants who arrived in Germany in 2015 were from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. The country has been grappling with the integration of the many newcomers and hostility toward migrants has been on the rise.

This year, the number of asylum seekers has declined sharply, with some 230,000 people having arrived in the country by the end of September.

https://www.mail.com/int/news/europ...-asylum-seekers-grou.html#.1258-stage-hero1-3

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And rejected asylum requests and deportations were happening way before the refugee crisis. I remember a very famous video with an Afghan girl and Merkel.

Rektash

Publicity stunt for the upcoming elections. That's all this is.

Only 18 Afghan citizens were deported in the first half of 2016, according to government figures. More than 12,500 Afghans have received orders to leave the country, but not yet been deported.

SilentRob

Could you explain to me what hole exactly we are in?

Also - this isn't news. Financial incentives have been given since forever. It's almost like this country doesn't want to force people back into a war-torn region, ready to get killed.
(That said, just this week they actually did deport a dozen Afghans and just this morning I saw a report where the government was heavily, heavily criticized for it.)

Didn't they already do this? We in Holland do. Cheaper to bribe them it seems. Although there were also programs for Albanians and Moroccans and they just hopped on over, took the money and went back again. Those programs have now stopped.

Only 18 Afghan citizens were deported in the first half of 2016, according to government figures. More than 12,500 Afghans have received orders to leave the country, but not yet been deported
That's going quickly I see.

Tak3n

Banned
Didn't they already do this? We in Holland do. Cheaper to bribe them it seems. Although there were also programs for Albanians and Moroccans and they just hopped on over, took the money and went back again. Those programs have now stopped.

As always the only people winning are the lawyers, they need to learn the system..... they need to get cats, get women pregnant, become gay (or claim to be)

instant win

Alienfan

I don't understand the mentality of some that are okay turning down those attempting to escape from war-torn countries.

Hopped from Morocco to Holland?

Rektash

I don't understand the mentality of some that are okay turning down those attempting to escape from war-torn countries.

Hm, I think it's pretty easy to understand honestly:

They value their own wellbeing over that of strangers. They feel their own wellbeeing in danger because of the influx of people from different cultures.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do you know which world leader was behind the intensity of the refugee crisis and what his aims are? Have you watched any news in the last year and do you know what is happening next year?

Yes, I have and I am aware of the couple of incidents that occured, but my question still stands? There is no need to act like the republic is about to break apart and that the radical islam is about to take over :)
I mean, if you want to think that way, its up to yourself, but its bullshit.

There's a long process involved to determine who gets sent back and who not. It's not like they sent you back into active conflict. But you also can't take in everyone.

Hopped from Morocco to Holland?
Through the refugee streams. Bit of context in Dutch here if you don't mind using Google Translate: http://www.volkskrant.nl/politiek/r...rokkanen-om-komst-te-ontmoedigen~a4415805/amp

Basically, the amount of people coming in from safe countries like Morocco is growing, but they have zero chance to stay for the long term since it is a safe country. They used to get 1950 euro if they left themselves, since deporting them is difficult due to the Moroccan government not working with us on that. Because the amounts are growing, they scrapped the money incentive to discourage people from poorer parts of the country to come here for that reason.

We saw the same thing with Albanians earlier. They got 200 euros to leave. A few hundred a month made use of that. So they removed the monetary incentive to discourage them traveling here, since actual asylum for them is not possible. (http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland...or-albanezen-het-is-een-veilig-land~a4380525/)

It's also unfair to actual refugees if these people take up spots and housing during the process.

SilentRob

Merkel is an opportunist with no values and responsible for the deep crisis in Europe.

That...doesn't even make sense since she went against her party and only weakened her political position by doing this.

They value their own wellbeing over that of strangers. They feel their own wellbeeing in danger because of the influx of people from different cultures.

Yup, and it's called baseless xenophobia since migration is on a steady rise in germany while violent crime falls steadily. But hey. Facts don't matter when you're afraid of brown people.
You know what's actually exploding and on a steady rise? Violence against migrants and migrant's homes.

G.ZZZ

Hm, I think it's pretty easy to understand honestly:

Or maybe the fact that everyone does this. Why aren't you doing something now for all the people in the world that are worse off than you ? Chances are, if you are in a first world country, there are about 6 billions people worse off than you are. Because we prioritize those closer to us than not and because that's the only way we can function in a system that need us to do shit constantly to survive. Claiming this is some egotistic disgusting behaviour when we literally always did is just being hypocritical or being born yesterday. Even someone working in charities for free is helping what, 15-20 people every year? And to what degree even, i don't know.

oti

Banned
You know what's missing in this hole that Queen Merkel has turned Germany into?

Mexican food.

Where's the Mexican food at, Queen Merkel? Where are the Mexican refugees? Shame on you!

You know what's missing in this hole that Queen Merkel has turned Germany into?

Mexican food.

Where's the Mexican food at, Queen Merkel? Where are the Mexican refugees? Shame on you!

Agreed, spice up that hole Queen M! I want some of that Taco Bell stuff I always read about on GAF here... I don't believe it's as terrible as they say.

Kinyou

The application process is there to determine if this is actually the case. When you just take everyone you won't have resources for those who actually need it.

oti

Banned
Agreed, spice up that hole Queen M! I want some of that Taco Bell stuff I always read about on GAF here... I don't believe it's as terrible as they say.

Right? I mean it's Fast Food and all but the ingedients don't sound like they are awful. Beans, rice, meat and tortilla doesn't sound bad at all.

I'm going to vote for the Alternative für Döner Partei.

The absolute key thing is efficiently sending home those that don't have a legitimate asylum case in a quick and affordable manner, whilst helping out those who really do need help - that's the majority of those seeking asylum.

The perfect is the enemy of the good. No country can have a perfect asylum system. But actually helping out the masses of people who need help, and coping with system abuses as they arise, is 100% the right thing to do. That's why I really respect the German government for their actions.

You know that processing asylum requests and deporting people was a thing also before this, right?

Problem is it takes too long and there is always shit like "Please come to the plane so we can fly you back" and then they dont show up, get rid of their papers and they cant be deported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom