• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany hate crime: Nearly 10 attacks a day on migrants in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
goes to show how contentious the open door policy is, and how sudden mass migration causes tension in even the most liberal of countries....

Edit...I agree crime is crime, not victim blaming merely trying to argue that mass immigration causes social tension

Nearly 10 attacks were made on migrants in Germany every day in 2016, the interior ministry says.
A total of 560 people were injured in the violence, including 43 children.
Three-quarters of the attacks targeted migrants outside of their accommodation, while nearly 1,000 attacks were on housing.
Chancellor Angela Merkel's decision to open up Germany to people fleeing conflict and persecution has polarised the country and boosted hate crime.
Germany is struggling with a backlog of asylum applications and there are fears about security following a series of terrorist attacks across Europe.
The interior ministry figures
3,533 attacks on migrants and asylum hostels in 2016
2.545 attacks on individual migrants
560 people injured, including 43 children
988 attacks on housing (slightly fewer than in 2015)
217 attacks on refugee organisations and volunteers
But the number of asylum seekers arriving in Germany in 2016 was 280,000, a drop of more than 600,000 from the previous year, following the closure of the Balkan migrant route and an EU deal with Turkey.
The issue is expected to feature heavily in parliamentary elections this September.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39096833

El Topo

1. We already have a thread.
2. It is pathetic how you use this as an opportunity to shit on the government and their immigration policy.

Edit:
Don't get me wrong, I understand your wish to discuss immigration policy and to which extent they have influence on this, but I don't think this is an appropriate opportunity, nor do I think your reasoning/framing was okay.

Jumeira

Banned
This is really interesting as on paper it is easy to just slam the people carrying out the crimes, but it goes to show how contentious the open door policy is, and how sudden mass migration causes tension in even the most liberal of countries....

WTF AT BLAMING VICTIMS! Jesus, those in need should be held accountable for racist views against them?! Seriously, get out of here with that Trump logic.

bullshit. crime is crime. the far right cant justify crime just because the politicians have decided to respect the german constitution and the geneva convention and they obviously dont agree with that decision. if you dont agree protest, vote or write opinionated articles for all i care but hurting people, burning down houses is not political protest its just crime

Nabs

This is really interesting as on paper it is easy to just slam the people carrying out the crimes, but it goes to show how contentious the open door policy is, and how sudden mass migration causes tension in even the most liberal of countries....

DouqEKK.gif

Tak3n

Banned
WTF AT BLAMING VICTIMS! Jesus, those in need should be held accountable for racist views against them?! Seriously, get out of here with that Trump logic.

Not blaming at all, I was trying to say that mass migration causes social tension, and whether you want to recognise that or not, the evidence points to this

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Damn immigrants, coming to Germany to become victims of racism and xenophobia! All those fine assaults could have targeted actual German residents instead of being wasted on evil evil immigrants. Stop sealing our victim-hoods evil immigrants! Thanks Obama!

Not blaming at all, I was trying to say that mass migration causes social tension, and whether you want to recognise that or not, the evidence points to this
Human beings are tribal, and inherently racist to some degree. It doesn't matter what color, race, ethnicity, etc. one may be.

Nivash

Would you have said the same thing about desegregating schools in the US, OP? "It's easy to slam the people rioting and threatening black students, but it goes to show how contentious school integration is, and how a sudden mass influx of black students causes tentions in even the most tolerant of schools..."?

The only thing the so-called "mass immigration" has shown is how deeply troubled by racism our societies are and how frighteningly many people are prepared to go as far as directly attack immigrants. It's not caused by the immigration - those people were just as despicable before, now they're just emboldened enough to lash out. This is something that should be condemned and fought against, not excused - because it's inexcusable.

Syder

I don't care how shitty you think the policy is. You don't attack people because you think they might be an immigrant.

HunteronX

Banned
Thanks for the statistics, Tak3n.
I believe that mass-migration into a country, can cause social tension.
There is nothing wrong with stating that.

At the same time, innocent people should not be attacked.
The real question though, is how can these tensions be resolved?

Tak3n

Banned
Would you have said the same thing about desegregating schools in the US, OP? "It's easy to slam the people rioting and threatening black students, but it goes to show how contentious school integration is, and how a sudden mass influx of black students causes tentions in even the most tolerant of schools..."?

The only thing the so-called "mass immigration" has shown is how deeply troubled by racism our societies are and how frighteningly many people are prepared to go as far as directly attack immigrants. It's not caused by the immigration - those people were just as despicable before, now they're just emboldened enough to lash out. This is something that should be condemned and fought against, not excused - because it's inexcusable.

In the U.K. After the referedum there was a spike in hate crime, many people argued that these people now had a voice due to Brexit, but actually this shows nationalism is as strong as it always has been, and globalism is dead, the Middle East migrant crisis has highlighted major issues in many European countries, and it is not going to go away it seems...

Jasup

Damn immigrants, coming to Germany to become victims of racism and xenophobia! All those fine assaults could have targeted actual German residents instead of being wasted on evil evil immigrants. Stop sealing our victim-hoods evil immigrants! Thanks Obama!

It's logical. If there weren't any immigrants there wouldn't be any violence against immigrants - therefore to stop violence against immigrants you need to get rid of immigrants. Problem solved!

Jumeira

Banned

Social tension that manifests into violence shows deeper problems then dealing with migration. The evidence here is that there's growing radicalisation of racist nationalists, which you deliberately ignored and slant it towards social cohesion. Point being, no cohesion involves tolerating racists, if migration ruffles thier feathers, good, we need to root them out.

Tak3n

Banned
I've looked through his post history - where did he say that?

I can not remember but I think I said something about Chicago or something where it is now classed as 3 cities, whites, black, others and they had segregated themselves naturally.... It got people hot under the collar

Steel

Banned
Somehow I feel like the reverse statistic wouldn't be nearly as bad.

But yeah, Immigrants are the problem. Of course.

Nivash

In the U.K. After the referedum there was a spike in hate crime, many people argued that these people now had a voice due to Brexit, but actually this shows nationalism is as strong as it always has been, and globalism is dead, the Middle East migrant crisis has highlighted major issues in many European countries, and it is not going to go away it seems...

Me using the US civil rights movement as an allegory wasn't random, you know, I used it specifically as an example of how things can change. But only if you fight for it, tacitly accepting xenophobia and racism is just going to allow them to persist. I do agree that yes, the issues aren't going away on their own. But neither are the refugees. It's more or less a moral imperative to work towards solving the issues in that situation.

A good start would be to aggressively prosecute hate crimes to kick the overt aggression down below the surface. Long term, we need more sustained efforts from the civil society to include immigrants more succesfully and lower the barriers that are creating a lot of this tension.

Jumeira

Banned
In the article there's a hateful message with a swastika sprayed on a wall, in Germany, driven by hate and intolerance, and the OP grievance is migration? A swastika by Nazis, the greatest evil the world has ever faced is being embraced, OP how did you see that and jump to immigrants?!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I am a brexiteer, round these parts it makes people see me like Trump with no power and no wealth

Backfire obviously has nothing to do with the "It is easy to slam people committing hate crimes and assaulting others so let's focus on the evil government instead". Nope.

NoRéN

Edit...I agree crime is crime, not victim blaming merely trying to argue that mass immigration causes social tension

Come on, don't punk out. Stand by your bullshit. Tell us how you really feel. At least that way we can respect you as a person that truly stands by their beliefs.

As of this moment you are no better than that coward wearing a mask with the racist rap song.

Tak3n

Banned
NoRéN;231072049 said:
Come on, don't punk out. Stand by your bullshit. Tell us how you really feel. At least that way we can respect you as a person that truly stands by their beliefs.

As of this moment you are no better than that coward wearing a mask with the racist rap song.

Not plunking out, though not sure what that means, I fundamentally disagree with open door immigration always have always will, unless Goverments provide the infrastructure to cope..then I have no issue.

Izuna

Banned
Not plunking out, though not sure what that means, I fundamentally disagree with open door immigration always have always will, unless Goverments provide the infrastructure to cope..then I have no issue.

It's hilarious that you don't think your use of "open door" is hyperbole

Damn, good catch.

I thought it wasn't as bad as I thought until the edit actually reaffirmed what he meant.

~~

As a mixed raced English dude, it would SUPER FUCK ME UP if white people got the right to deny other races of people from their little settlements.

And let's talk about "immigration". Both of my parents are born in England, and yet I'm gunna get asked twice where I'm from (really from) always. It's not my accent that's shielding me from this sort of crime. But nah, fuck it, let's not judge the racists.

Toxi

Banned

Jesus OP, you want to rephrase that?

Tak3n

Banned
It's the immigrant's fault for wanting to move to another country (brexiter logic)

No, crime is a crime... what to me is the issue is the Goverments (in this case Germanys) failure to provide proper infrastructure and an ability to provide support, this will almost always lead to social tensions, and if reports are to be believed a lot of these migrants are already going home as the life they hoped for is not materialising . If the German government wanted this policy they should of made provisions to cope with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom