• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geralt is never fully nude in The Witcher because ratings boards don’t like you controlling a naked man

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Apparently, Geralt is a never-nude in The Witcher 3 because rating boards frown upon it – not because he’s afraid or ashamed to run around in the nip.

According to CD Projekt Red, speaking with Gamestar, the ratings board in Germany frowns upon players being able to control a naked player in the game. But it’s not just Germany, as there are restrictions in place with rating boards in other countries as well. So, it was probably easier to conform with one region’s rules instead of developing extra bits for regions where it might be considered acceptable.

That’s why you always see Geralt in saggy, dingy boxers instead of partially or fully nude. You do get the one-off when he hops on the unicorn with Yennefer, but that’s it. And of course, there is never a shot of his, um, well you know, shown. Which could be a good thing, depending on which camp you’re in.

However, it is okay for NPCs to run around in their birthday suits because you don’t physically control them.

Speaking with Gamestar, quest designer Phillip Weber said the moment a player has “active control, [the game] is always evaluated differently.”

In Germany, controlling a naked character is considered detrimental, or in the USK’s own words “development-impairing” and possibly even “youth-endangering.” This is despite The Witcher being a mature-rated series, meaning underage folks shouldn’t be playing it to begin with.

Pallas

Gold Member
Maybe I’m remembering something differently, which could be the case or it could simply be the changes with time ...

but wasn’t Raiden nude during one section of MGS2? I mean from what I remember and it’s going by memory only, you couldn’t see genitalia, but you could see his bare ass iirc.

Banned
I have a hard time believing the german USK would have any issue with a naked controllable Gerald.

Nudity by itself is usually not a reason for high age ratings in germany,
hell, Ranma 1/2 was broadcasted at 3PM with full on boobs and everything. age rating 12 and up.
and as long as Gerald doesn't run around with a hard on a dick shouldn't be much of an issue either.

Relativ9

Maybe I’m remembering something differently, which could be the case or it could simply be the changes with time ...

but wasn’t Raiden nude during one section of MGS2? I mean from what I remember and it’s going by memory only, you couldn’t see genitalia, but you could see his bare ass iirc.

Yeah he would cover his genitals with both hands, even doing cartwheel jumps while covering himself.

mortal

Gold Member
This makes zero sense to enforce in game with mature themes for mature players. I can literally decapitate fools in The Witcher 3

Some random puritan dorks get to decide what I'm allowed or not allowed to see in a M rated game? What is this archaic nonsense?

Hey, I like full-frontal make nudity as much as the next guy.............who's also into other guys, but this thing has to make money. Sex sells, but I don't want a commercial where the guy just walks on camera, grabs his hog, and says, "Buy Skittles."

Plus things are better when left to the imagination.

KiteGr

Naked-Raiden-Cartwheel-MGS2.jpg

-Troid-

Banned
Hey, I like full-frontal make nudity as much as the next guy.............who's also into other guys, but this thing has to make money. Sex sells, but I don't want a commercial where the guy just walks on camera, grabs his hog, and says, "Buy Skittles."

Plus things are better when left to the imagination.

Wtf are you talking about that would be the funniest commercial ever. Dude could even say "Taste the rainbow!"

We never see a pussy either so I don't think it's fair to expect a dong hanging around.
Cowards.

I remember Heavy Rain showing naked breasts but no P. Only game that showed it was LA Noire but it was dead body and huge bush so you didn’t see much. Penis was shown in GTA IV DLC for a second. Also, in RDR 2 one of the caveman was completely naked.

Last edited:

Murr

The main issue as far as i understand is, what you are able to do as a naked character. The USK statement in that article says, that they rate actions you perform as a player yourself differently from actions NPCs do.
So if you play as a naked character and can perform sexual or violent acts, it could be seen as detrimental.
I think CD project just didn't want to risk giving the player control over naked Gerald, because the rating boards could look at that and ask what the player is able to do to other characters.
So the issue isn't the nakedness per se.

In my opinion in a game rated for adults this shouldn't be a problem, but rating boards gonna rate i guess.

Last edited:
There's been enough of Geralt. I don't want to see him naked, and I don't want him to feature prominently in any further games. Please can we focus on some of the other characters instead?

Last edited:

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Lots of people wanting to see digital wieners in this thread.

#FreeTheGameBalls #Testikill #DicksOutForNifelheim

It has nothing to do with ratings boards and everything to do with current gen tech. There isn't enough internal goodness to properly render a floppy dong with the current consoles. Were they to include it, Geralt's peen would just look like a series of blocks floating around. Why do you think everyone is obsessed with teraflops now? The more of those you have the more floppy dongs you can put in your game.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
This shit needs to stop.

If a game is rated mature, then female and male characters should be able to walk around completely naked if needed. As long as there is no actual sex with penetration to make it AO.

What fucking prude times we still live in. As if people don’t know what naked men and women look like.

Seems fair for those who don't really enjoy seeing dong. A ton of adult movies and TV shows love to show dudes hanging dong now while keeping the women mostly covered up.

Top Bottom