• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley - Video games: evolving and changing Revenue for Big Publishers are Happening Less From Premium AAA Games

19f0de6deb3b864809aa32f8316ab7a29ee14e0e.gif

Save us Jimmy!

It's the perfect time to show your AAA single-player games. It will garner you lots of goodwill after all these news.

levyjl1988

Banned
Remember when EA drove the Dead Space franchise to the ground by introducing microtransactions to a single-player game with Dead Space 3. Yup. That's what happens when a publisher gets too damn greedy, they got what came to them with the whole Star Wars Battlefront 2 game with loot box labelled as gambling.

Alebrije

Options....we have more videogame options than ever and a AAA has always the risk of fail.

Videogames now is like music, hundreds of new games every year, free multiplayer that keeps kids just playing one or two games for months.

Kids between 10 and 17 years does not care about Resident Evil, Zelda or even Mario...they are on Fortnite ,Minecraft, Roblox...

There is still room for AAA games but should be less every year...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We're probably less than 5 years away from a single game earning more revenue/profit than dedicated hardware like PS5 or Series X.

The industry is evolving insanely fast right now.

EAs games have single player too. That's not what the problem is. All EAs Star wars games have single player, Battlefield V has single player. Titanfall has single player, even Fifa. The issue is that game releases are clearly not the focus anymore when game sales are not whats driving your income. It's about GaaS and monetising through multiplayer.
Halo 5 released in 2015. GTA 5 has a massive single player campaign too but the last GTA game is from 2013. 8 years ago and 3 gens. GTA online is making too much money. Game releases aren't that far up the list for these companies anymore. GaaS is. MS literally released nothing for their console and concentrated on their current services, Gamepass and pumping out content packs for their GaaS games from last gen.
I think I can see where you are coming from, and you are right. It does seem to be that games are pushing towards monetization methods outside of the initial sale. I do feel like picking on Microsoft specifically for this maybe made sense in the past, but a lot of their new developers are single player heavy studios. As EA, Activision, and Ubisoft move away from single player experiences you have Microsoft buying Ninja Theory, InXile, Obsidian, Compulsion, etc.....All developers who focus on single player games. In terms of Gamepass, if you haven't looked into it, I would say it is 90%+ single player games. There is a ton to gain from that subscription as someone who plays single player games almost exclusively

Guilty_AI

So nothing else you wrote applies to what I was referring to then. My original point is, there is no point in not only buying a new console, but purchasing a whole lotta new tech to play old games. Day 1 AAA is the best way to maximize what you’ve spent if you have day 1 new consoles, expensive graphics cards and high end displays. Otherwise, you’re fine with 1 of the 3 as you mentioned. Get a PS5 and play games at 60fps on a 1080p tv. But if you’re going all out. You have both consoles, expensive cars, nice display….you’re going to complain that games are too expensive to purchase day 1 and a game is too short for $70? Come on.
If you're going all out. I'd say people surrounding themselves with latest tech on all fronts are in the minority.

Also, you're forgetting that an extremely important variable is nowadays is time. If you have 3 similar games and only time to play one, of course you'll pick the better one. And what i'm saying here is that we happen to have better games than the ones major publishers are putting out for $70 that also happen to be cheaper most of the time. The choice is obvious to some.
And then, while we play the better stuff now, the "new big releases" keep getting pushed back for months/years until we're finally willing to play them for one reason or another, when they happen to be not so new anymore and cheaper.

Ubisoft and EA are the two most egregious when it comes to games filled with Microtransactions. I couldn't give a shit about them or their loot boxes.
you know how I often crap over Nintendo fanboys for living in the past?

well, turns out PlayStation fans are finally catching up too. they're still living in PS1-2 times, when RE was king, mobile gaming never happened and kids are not 24h streaming from huge online social f2p sandboxes with paid cosmetics...

This isnt anything new.
FIFA, Madden, Call of Duty are basically free to play games with a 60$ price tag.

Playstation and Nintendo are the last hope. But Sony is getting thirsty for those Micro transactions. And Nintendo is licking their fingers from mobile phone games.

Top Bottom