• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley says to expect fewer third-party showcases this summer. (VGC)

kingfey

Banned
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...xpect-less-third-party-showcases-this-summer/

Journalist and presenter Geoff Keighley has said to expect fewer third-party digital showcases this summer, as companies instead opt to include content in events like his Summer Game Fest show.

Last year companies such as Capcom and Square Enix received a somewhat negative critical response to their own digital events, which fans felt contained fewer announcements than anticipated.

Speaking during a Twitter Spaces audio session this weekend, Keighley said consumers should expect less third-party conferences this year, as those publishers with less content instead opt to participate in Summer Game Fest and “first-party conferences” such as the Xbox and Bethesda Showcase.

“There were a lot of shows last year where everyone was disappointed when they weren’t really press conferences, right? Like Take-Two, Capcom, Square Enix and things like that,” he said.

“I think [they] have learned that if you’re going to do a press conference, you kind of need to have 30 minutes-plus of stuff, and sometimes they only have one or two great games to show, which may not be enough to do a full event around.”

Keighley added: “So I think that’s going to be a bit of a shift. I have a pretty good sense of what’s coming in the next month, and I think people will be hyped about games in general.

“There is still a lack of games coming out right now, this kind of is the Covid gap year I think… with a lot of games being delayed because they were started during the pandemic. We’re still hoping for a lot of things to come out”.

As previously announced, Summer Game Fest will kick off with “a live cross-industry showcase” on Thursday, June 9 at 11am PT / 2pm ET / 7pm BST.

It promises to showcase “what’s next in gaming with huge new game announcements, world premieres, special guests, and much more”.

During the Twitter chat, Keighley revealed that “15-plus” guests will appear during the show, and confirmed that this year’s event will see members of the media go hands-on with some of the games featured.

“I don’t think people are going to get necessarily everything that they want in June, like they never do, but I hope people have fun,” he said.

“It’s just going to be different, and that’s what I keep telling people: this is not replacing E3, it’s a different sort of vibe and sense of things. I don’t make the games, so I just sit here and pray that there’s going to be some cool stuff to show to people.”

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Loop Text GIF by xponentialdesign

No showcasaes because theres no E3 not hard to put 2 and 2 together 0 reason to spend any money doing a independent show when you could put out a staged leak and have everyone talk about it like its real or confirmed.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
0SnBs7i.jpg

Ehlmg0y.jpg

I want to go back to when graphics budgets were constrained, and gameplay/art style/music/writing was king.

Take the graph with a grain of salt
I dream of a future in which big companies not only put out AAA games, but where they also have little teams producing AA stuff with less budget and more soul than they bigger projects.

In fact... Square is doing this, right? Can't think of many more big studios that do so.

Thabass

Well yeah MS and Sony bought them all 😂
That's a fair point.

Honestly, this is better than having Square Enix do a presentation and show us jackshit. If you're going to show us the goods, just show us in the main big conferences.

That said, I wonder when Sony will do their thing this year. They haven't had a really good showing in quite a while.

People posting in this thread seem to have forgotten what last year's E3 was like. Take Two's "event" was literally them talking about diversity and equity for 30 minutes. They had their own stream set up only to waste everyone's time with exactly 0 games shown.

With that in mind, it's no wonder less companies will organize their own streams. They're apparently incapable of doing it right. I'd much rather have them show one or two games during another presentation than... whatever Take Two did last year.

YukiOnna

Hoping that means Square Enix threw FF16 and FF7R news into Summer Games Fest. If not, it'll still be fun to watch alongside the MS+Bethesda Conference.

Fbh

Makes sense.
One of the reasons the last couple of E3's sucked was because it felt like most publishers were there because it was expected of them but not because they actually had something to show.

If you just have 1 reveal or a couple of new trailers to show it makes way more sense to partner up with Game Fest / Sony / MS / Nintendo, etc

Hugare

I dream of a future in which big companies not only put out AAA games, but where they also have little teams producing AA stuff with less budget and more soul than they bigger projects.

In fact... Square is doing this, right? Can't think of many more big studios that do so.
DICE did that and created Mirrors Edge

EA has an initiative to fund small projects that gave us A Way Out, Unravel, It Takes Two

Ubisoft also did this with Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Rayman Origins/Legends

With the success of It Takes Two, hopefuly there will be more

BlueHawk

Neo Member
Well yeah MS and Sony bought them all 😂
I know this is probably meant to be a joke but damn, I never thought about it really too deeply.

My favourite events are normally Obsidian, Bethesda and Blizzard, and now I just remembered why I bought an Xbox. Would be real neat to actually get some games from those companies though. 😂

The only third party devs I probably care about now are Ubisoft, who will probably be sold soon, Capcom and Square.

KXVXII9X

This is my hope too. In fact, I wish they mostly focused on these AA kind of games with some more polish in games like Ori, Psychonauts 2, Sifu, Kena, It Takes Two, UbiArt, and Square AA games. The industry needs more focused games and design.

Kssio_Aug

0SnBs7i.jpg

Ehlmg0y.jpg

I want to go back to when graphics budgets were constrained, and gameplay/art style/music/writing was king.

Take the graph with a grain of salt
For real. All these AAA titles with a HUGE team working on, tons of money invested, risking to be delayed and all that, just so when it finally launches is another formulaic game with tons of stupid side quests, useless collectables, uninteresting writing, and average gameplay mechanics, but fancy graphics.

As time passes, the AAA industry becomes shittier. As much as Nintendo sucks for a lot of things, it seems they're one of the very few that still prioritize making their games actually fun.

Last edited:
Sounds like Geoff is preparing us for a rubbish Summer game fest. It's obvious the Xbox showcase is going to overshadow everything else.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Nintendo will do their thing, Ms will do their thing and with Sony you never know these days but definitely not a the boring fest. Prepare for an avalanche of ad revenue for Geoff and 2 good trailers.

Top Bottom