• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley & IMAX Are Partnering Up to Bring TGA & Summer Game Fest to Theaters

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
summer-game-fest-e1648774334978.jpg

Geoff Keighly announced that his team and IMAX, purveyor of really big screens, are teaming up to bring The Game Awards and Summer Game Fest to IMAX theaters in select locations around the U.S., branded as IMAX Live.

doritos-pope-geoff-keighley-1.900x.jpg

angry step brothers GIF

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Paying for all the commercials and cringe filler stuff? No thx, i'll stick to debloated Youtube trailers.
It'll probably be free, you just have to register for a seat/ticket.

I did it similarly for the Sony presser where they announced FF7R (Can't remember what year that was) - such a good year for Sony. Shame they haven't been able to live up to that year again (to me, at least)

schaft0620

I'm concerned because, the last two years SGF was like six events and none of them were "take the day off from work and go to the IMAX good."

Sony is probably having a SoP for GoW and PS VR2. We already know Xbox is that Sunday. I'm sure the event on the 9th will have the TMNT date, new Gotham trailer but then what?

nush

Gold Member
Now you can feel like you're at an E3 conference without actually being at one. I can't imagine sitting through this without being able to skip all the shit.

Wohc

Banned

I did it similarly for the Sony presser where they announced FF7R (Can't remember what year that was) - such a good year for Sony. Shame they haven't been able to live up to that year again (to me, at least)
I would be surprised if it's free, but still not worth it to me.

Kokoloko85

2015 or 2016 I think. Hard to beat that when you announce FF7 remake, Last Guardian, Shen Mue 3 and new 1st party games all in 1 show lol.
The God of War announcement year was a great E3 too. Downhill after that

PhaseJump

Banned
If I uphold modern traditions and smuggle a bag of Doritos into the IMAX to avoid paying OG ticket prices on a bag of popcorn, will it help me avoid getting stink eye from the floor sweeping, low wage teenagers that work there? Or will the guilt pile on and make me question the life choices which lead me to ever think of going to a movie theater to watch a toy commercial in the new post-pandemic, formulaic superhero trash cinema scene?

38416770f7ef70e8782b42f7cf06f2ebd15f390e.gifv

I'm not going to the IMAX to watch previews of movies for free yet. Why should I go there to watch previews of video games?

Markio128

I wonder if they’ve managed to snag the FF16 trailer? That would be a megaton if a 2022 release date was announced.

Luckily I can watch every game reveal all summer and not have to see Geoff's shit-eating grin between each reveal.

Still have to give a nod to the guy's hustle. He's managed to get devs to willingly credit him with every reveal they make all summer long on top of his awards show commercial space for rent in the winter.

jaysius

Banned
I hope he loses his shirt on this one and finally learns that most people fucking hate him, the industry only tolerates him because he's such a hype whore. I'm not sure who would pay IMAX prices to watch something that's best watched about 10 minutes after the entire thing ends so you can just watch all the bullshot trailers.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Damn, nice!!

This makes me feel like this will be a more condensed E3 / ONL type show, instead of the previous iterations that were more spread out over a larger span.

I feel like these "fests" are less and less about gaming and games and more about whatever it that floats the boat these people are in... so inclusivity and equity or something like that.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Love watching 3 hours of commercials in iMax

Can someone explain Keighleys career trajectory to me? Guy has become the most prominent shill in the world. No other big entertainment industry has an equivalent.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I will watch it on my couch. I would hate to think what the theater would smell like full of people willing to pay to watch the show.

MadPanda

Banned
I wouldn't go and watch it even if they paid me to do it. I don't do it at home as it's such a waste of time.

Fbh

Oh yes, nothing better than going to what's probably going to be the smelliest movie theater ever to watch 2-3 cool trailers and 2 and a half hour of ads.
"I hope you enjoyed those 40 seconds of FFXVI, now let's welcome Laura Dern as she pretends she plays games and tells us all about the exciting new Jurassic World Dominion mobile game!"

Can someone explain Keighleys career trajectory to me? Guy has become the most prominent shill in the world. No other big entertainment industry has an equivalent.

Dude has been in the industry for quite some time and has a lot of connections.
Like or hate his content, at least he is taking the initiative and doing stuff which has helped him establish his position. Summer Game Fest and the Game Awards aren't great, but no one is doing anything comparable

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'll just watch the trailers on YouTube and skip all the other boring bullshit. Worst game show going right now.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I'd probably go if it's in my city, but given it's US only then it's ruled out completely. Pain.

Love watching 3 hours of commercials in iMax

His most prominent earlier work was with GameTrailers where he'd host the Bonus Round and then the G4 Network E3 Coverage when it was on TV where he acted as host there. Then of course the Spike Game Awards, which he left since he didn't like their approach and then went on to do it self funded with support from all 3 major companies. He also regularly hosted the E3 Coliseum, still hosts Gamescom and of course made Summer Games Fest and has continued these 2 as the major annual events. Thanks to this he has a ton of connections, networking and easy access to almost anything in the industry. I believe the EZ Allies group mentioned he gets to try games like a year earlier or something.

I've enjoyed his involvement since the Bonus Round days and I probably always will.

Last edited:

pqueue

1. paying for this garbage when it is already free
2. sitting in a theater exposed to nerd funk.

major pass.

Reminds me of the PlayStation theater events from previous years. The energy is usually pretty good and it’s nice to be around like minded gamers. There are usually freebies too. I’ll try and go.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Now you can feel like you're at an E3 conference without actually being at one. I can't imagine sitting through this without being able to skip all the shit.

This is the only thing I'm worried about. He'll need to keep it around 2 hours for it to be good.

Portugeezer

When Sony did it, they were knocking it out of the park with their presentations, so it felt like it was worth going just so see big announcements with other hyped gamers (I would never do this, but I could understand).

Geoff, SGF... not so much. I don't see the point.

Top Bottom