• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact players review-bombing over "stingy" anniversary rewards

On September 20, miHoYo unveiled the rewards for Genshin Impact’s one-year anniversary. However, most of them were locked behind raffles and contests, frustrating players. Anger was further compounded when the anniversary web event only gave players a smidgen of premium currency, equal to about a fourth of the cost of a single gacha roll. For almost a week, it was impossible to go into the Genshin Impact or miHoYo Twitter tags without seeing complaints about the miniscule anniversary offerings.

Players were further incensed once miHoYo started deleting threads complaining about the anniversary from their official forum, limiting threads on the official Reddit subforum, and banning players from the official Discord. Players responded by review bombing Genshin Impact on the Google Play Store. At the time of writing, the game had dropped from a 4.5 to a 2.8. But the retaliation didn’t stop there. Fans of other free-to-play games were unimpressed when they discovered that Genshin players were complaining about anniversary rewards in review sections for unrelated games. None of these complaints had specific demands.

So far, Kotaku has independently confirmed that the games affected include Honkai Impact, Arknights, Tears of Themis, Clash of Clans, Cookie Run Kingdom, Fate/Grand Order, Epic Seven, Punishing Grey Raven, Dragalia Lost, and League of Legends: Wild Rift. Not all the ratings were negative, as some users left a high rating while complaining about Genshin in the review. It’s confusing why Genshin players feel unheard, since their discontent has taken over all of the tags related to the anniversary. Honkai Impact and Tears of Themis were the hardest hit, since those games were also developed by miHoYo.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Ok let me kick you in the nuts, spit on you and then later complain and call you toxic because you don't have any reason to be mad.

Seriously...this has being going on for months. Mods are shilling all kinds of feedback, ordering people to send feedback via in-game ticket(which doesn't work otherwise a character I played would be fixed by now with my pretty 6 attempts to reach them). Google is being paid by Myoho to delete all kinds of criticism with 1 to 2 stars on the google play(note it includes all of them, not just the ones created by the rage), Myoho banning people on their forums/discord and shill the discussion with poor excuses like the ones from reddit(example: use the megathread to complain as if it gets any visibility). Myoho even made an anniversary gatcha event on the web where fans can only participate by drawing a fan-art and promoving their game for free, all this with a beatifull chance to win at 10% of something you win in a day during in-game. And yeah, with proof that youtubers and streamers are being paid with high in-game currency and asked to remain silent about any kind of rewards.

But nah, their fans are totally overacting, right? Couldn't care less about scores and review bombing, but if you keep treating people like dirt you expect them to react in what possible way? Note that even threads reporting bugs were being closed. But no sir, this is not censoring.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Ok let me kick you in the nuts, spit on you and then later complain and call you toxic because you don't have any reason to be mad.

Seriously...this has being going on for months. Mods are shilling all kinds of feedback, ordering people to send feedback via in-game ticket(which doesn't work otherwise a character I played would be fixed by now with my pretty 6 attempts to reach them). Google is being paid by Myoho to delete all kinds of criticism with 1 to 2 stars on the google play(note it includes all of them, not just the ones created by the rage), Myoho banning people on their forums/discord and shill the discussion with poor excuses like the ones from reddit(example: use the megathread to complain as if it gets any visibility). Myoho even made an anniversary gatcha event on the web where fans can only participate by drawing a fan-art and promoving their game for free, all this with a beatifull chance to win at 10% of something you win in a day during in-game. And yeah, with proof that youtubers and streamers are being paid with high in-game currency and asked to remain silent about any kind of rewards.

But nah, their fans are totally overacting, right? Couldn't care less about scores and review bombing, but if you keep treating people like dirt you expect them to react in what possible way? Note that even threads reporting bugs were being closed. But no sir, this is not censoring.
Yes you sound like you are way overacting.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well they are stingy compared to what monetized streamers get MONTHLY through their Content Creator program ranging from 500 to 15000 in premium gacha currency. And are only throwing out current rewards that was originally going to be a bundle of items they were going to sell to you during their livestream.

Plus they've failed to address very basic problems with Resin(stamina system) and the endgame largely revolves around doing daily commissions and then logging out.

I've said it in the community topic but if they want to keep players happy they need bi weekly resets for Abyss mode so it isn't strictly whale only content, weekly resets on treasure chest spawn locations in every region, rework the stamina system, and have banners that don't suck.

People very much enjoy the big quests and exploring the world.

The anniversary as a week log in phony baloney was garbage and the initial rewards amounted to 40 gems which is much less then what you get DAILY with the Welkin blessing and doing your 4 commissions which amounts to 150(90+60).

Players have every right to be pissed. Especially when MHY started doing social media blackouts, severe moderation, deleting topics and going so far as to disable the ingame ability to change your name or signature to the point the only way disgruntled players can speak out is through review bombing.

Pejo

Yea unfortunately it's the only avenue that players have left that they know will actually garner attention from miHoYo. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but miHoYo will not respond, so this is what happened. Think of it as a culmination of 6~ months of being ignored topped off with the bad anniversary.

After yesterday happened, people were forced to face the fact that they're nothing but a cash cow (or actually worthless if Free to Play), and people don't like facing those types of things.

Well, when you do not respect your fan base you deserve it. FF War of the visions is having its 1.5 anniversary, which includes a lot of free pulls, gems for special pulls. I know it is not an MMO, but at least the gifts have been really good, I haven't paid anything since day 1.

I play Contra Returns for fun, (same I do not pay for anything), I have complained to the developers a lot since the game is pure "PTW", but at least they do not ban me from discord, and some of my complaints have been harsh to them.

Also, looking at the reviews, they are bad, do not mention what or how to fix it, or complaining to the right people, of course since they delete, ban, or remove people, well they have the right to shit on everything.

If you do not listen to your base then you deserve it. Of course, is not to give everything for free, but at least make thing nice for everyone.

Athreous

The main problem is the lack of communication. Mihoyo totally ignores the community, deleting whatever they want. It's Genshin's 1st anniversary and the players expected at least an event, but instead, they ignored us all, sadly =/

Yea unfortunately it's the only avenue that players have left that they know will actually garner attention from miHoYo. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but miHoYo will not respond, so this is what happened. Think of it as a culmination of 6~ months of being ignored topped off with the bad anniversary.

After yesterday happened, people were forced to face the fact that they're nothing but a cash cow (or actually worthless if Free to Play), and people don't like facing those types of things.
For me this is what happens to Contra returns, the developers do not reply and only seem to care for those who pay, making all free-to-play player meat bags for the PTW players. There was a pre-survey in which they asked people who wanted to participate in a survey for feedback, and they asked what was your VIP level, which can be raised only by paying (99% of the time). How can they expect real feedback if it seems they only want to hear those who pay more?

IntentionalPun

I frankly didn't expect you to actually read and neither provide any comment worth of reading.
I did read it; it sounds like an overreaction.. the article mentions games are getting review bombed that have nothing to do with Genshin. I can't imagine the threads they deleted from their official forums were anything particularly constructive.

And this entire thing is about some "rewards" for their 1 year anniversary? Like what? They could have just.. not had any awards and nobody would have noticed or complained lol

Nankatsu

Been playing Genshin since day-one but to be honestly I recently decided to get a break from the game because content became utterly repetitive. For me the anniversary is not even the main reason, but for such a big event, and the first of its kind in the game, can't deny its pretty disastrous.

Aranea

As someone who plays the game since day one and always bought the battle pass among other subscription in game the reaction Mihoyo is receiving due to them being silent and basically doing nothing. Before i comment on further i agree that review bombing unrelated apps and harrasing VA is bad and should never happen ever.

Mihoyo basically has been releasing underwhelming 5 star characters lately which cost a lot of money to summon and even locking a character behind Constellation 2 which again cost a lot of money. That combined with the lack of communication, no anniversary rewards and literally asking artist to create artwork, videos, cosplays, etc. which requires a lot of money and time to create for a chance to win 100 primos which is the game in currency and that is not even 1 pull. All of this was a time bomb when the time for company to give back something back to the community was basically them instead asking them to promote their game.

I have played other gachas and the anniversary is always the most important time of the year to give a reason for players to comeback as well get new players. Genshin Impact anniversary is the worst one i have ever seen and just shows the company true colors which is greed. And we are talking about a company that made over $1.5 billion on Genshin alone in a year.

Pejo

I did read it; it sounds like an overreaction.. the article mentions games are getting review bombed that have nothing to do with Genshin. I can't imagine the threads they deleted from their official forums were anything particularly constructive.

And this entire thing is about some "rewards" for their 1 year anniversary? Like what? They could have just.. not had any awards and nobody would have noticed or complained lol
This is pretty much exactly what happened, and clearly people noticed and complained.

I think it's an unintended side effect of their strategy. They wanted the bigger non-gacha audience with this game. They made all sorts of concessions for mainstream appeal instead of typical gacha game audiences, and built the game as an open world RPG that's enjoyable to those that typically would never pick up a gacha. They succeeded in a big way.

The problem is, the non-gacha crowd isn't used to or accepting of typical gacha game bullshit, so when they're presented with such a slap to the face, they're not quite so keen to hear "oh it's just a gacha game, this is par for the course". miHoYo wanted the cake and to eat it too, but they got hit with a dose of reality, at least for the Global verison (and Brazil, Brazil went particularly hard on them). It's hard for me to feel bad for corporations, especially in this genre of game where every decision is made to try to suck money from the playerbase.

The anniversary is a good opportunity for them to obfuscate that fact. To sell people the illusion that they're important, they're appreciated, we're a team just experiencing this game together and having fun. They fucked up this very simple concept.

Saber

Gold Member

At least don't pretend to be an absent mind on me with the thing I already provided. If you don't care, no worries its not like its a big deal to me.

I never said I agree with the review bombing, just saying they saw that coming. Reaction was probably underway based on how much they dealed with the situation(radio silence for instance) and only agraved by how they acted against their fans(banning and censoring), so it was bound to happen eventually. I also never said they should shower people with hundreds of rewards for anniversary, if you read my post you would have know that was a mix of a lot of things during months, the reward alongside youtuber and streamer event was just the trigger shot.

And the last thing you will see from me is having pity for any company.

IntentionalPun

At least don't pretend to be an absent mind on me with the thing I already provided. If you don't care, no worries its not like its a big deal to me.

I never said I agree with the review bombing, just saying they saw that coming. Reaction was probably underway based on how much they dealed with the situation(radio silence for instance) and only agraved by how they acted against their fans(banning and censoring), so it was bound to happen eventually. I also never said they should shower people with hundreds of rewards for anniversary, if you read my post you would have know that was a mix of a lot of things during months, the reward alongside youtuber and streamer event was just the trigger shot.

And the last thing you will see from me is having pity for any company.
I did read your post.. literally all of it, and it's a big bunch of nothing to me. From deleted threads to streamers not mentioning things when they are paid to promote the game, it's just not something I see worth getting bent out of shape over.

Not sure why you keep saying I didn't read your post, I clearly referenced it lol

I'm not here to be combative though and apologize if I came across that way, it just legit doesn't seem that big of a deal to me.. it seems like an overreaction.. and you might not be advocating review bombing but it's a part of the thread and you addressed the general idea of calling these people 'toxic".. not that I'd use that word, but it's certainly kinda shit to be review bombing other people's games..

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I did read your post.. literally all of it, and it's a big bunch of nothing to me. From deleted threads to streamers not mentioning things when they are paid to promote the game, it's just not something I see worth getting bent out of shape over.

Haha downplaying all this as if its nothing, really I knew it wasn't worth discussing. If you think this is nothing but overreaction well good for you then, but it doesn't mean it is lmao

Personally, I've never been happier to feel worthless.

IntentionalPun

This is pretty much exactly what happened, and clearly people noticed and complained.

Well they did announce something; if they just hadn't done anything do you think people were waiting around for the Anniversary to occur?

The anniversary is a good opportunity for them to obfuscate that fact. To sell people the illusion that they're important, they're appreciated, we're a team just experiencing this game together and having fun. They fucked up this very simple concept.

For sure; a bit of generosity can go a long way...

I'm more of a "fuck em then I will reconsider giving them more money" kinda guy then a review-bomb/complain on forums kinda-a-guy.

But I do get that people feel they've invested money in battle passes and whatnot and felt let down by content.. I'm just fairly pragmatic about games.. spend what it seems worth your time to spend.. if I am playing a game for dozens of hours that's worth quite a bit to me, some of these F2P games I play a ton and spend nothing so it's all a wash.

Last edited:

Aranea

https://www.pcgamer.com/genshin-imp...to-fan-frustrations-following-review-bombing/

Genshin Impact developer miHoYo says it's "been paying close attention" to the recent backlash surrounding the game's anniversary event, with "more celebrations" planned.

In a statement issued to GamesRadar, miHoYo said "we've been paying close attention to various feedback regarding Genshin Impact's first anniversary. We've already come up with more celebrations including the upcoming Genshin Impact online concert and thank-you gifts to express our gratitude for players' support all the way along.

"The opinions and feedback from players and fans are really valuable to us, and we wish all fans will continue the adventure and collect more cherished memories in Teyvat."

Fake

Yes you sound like you are way overacting.

Yes, he is probably overacting.

FAY06MSVUAA0yfJ

BTW, we both play the game, just for you know.

IntentionalPun

Fake Fake that just kind of proves my point that you guys think it's some conspiracy to give Streamers in-game currency kickbacks is a huge overreaction. They are essentially marketers.. streamers play games because they are paid to play them, they get paid to play them because a streamer playing a game makes them a ton of money by essentially advertising it. The in-game currency is a form of that, encourages them to play the game, makes it easier for them to unlock content, which they want the Streamers to be able to do so they can show off the content that other people can buy.

Why in the world does any of that upset you?

Last edited:

Pejo

Fake Fake that just kind of proves my point that you guys think it's some conspiracy to give Streamers in-game currency kickbacks is a huge overreaction. They are essentially marketers.. streamers play games because they are paid to play them, they get paid to play them because a streamer playing a game makes them a ton of money by essentially advertising it. The in-game currency is a form of that, encourages them to play the game, makes it easier for them to unlock content, which they want the Streamers to be able to do so they can show off the content that other people can buy.

I think the issue is that the streamers themselves are instructed to keep it a secret, and at no point in their videos do they have a disclaimer of "I'm a paid marketer for miHoYo, so take everything I say with that in mind". They do clickbait bulilshit like "OMG (New Character) CHANGES EVERYTHING/BREAKS THE GAME" and then they formulate it like it's their honest opinion. If they're getting paid to say that kind of shit, you don't find that more than a little dishonest?

This isn't about low rewards really - the whole thing totally blew up when Mihoyo first ignored issue with total silence and then started deleting posts and muting people on their forums. Basically textbook case of streisand effect.

Fake

IMO you're just being ignorant at this point. You're not add anything to the thread. In fact, you can right now enter in every gaming thread, not just neogaf, but resetera as well, and every fight players have with a particular company just call an 'overacting' case.

IDK about rules over what can be 'overacting' or not, so make sure after someone put a decent argument you came up with a better one.

BTW, Its not because you said 'that just proved my point' don't mean you actually proved something. If you don't like this particular game or don't like gaming at all at least be completely honest about.

IntentionalPun

I think the issue is that the streamers themselves are instructed to keep it a secret, and at no point in their videos do they have a disclaimer of "I'm a paid marketer for miHoYo, so take everything I say with that in mind". They do clickbait bulilshit like "OMG (New Character) CHANGES EVERYTHING/BREAKS THE GAME" and then they formulate it like it's their honest opinion. If they're getting paid to say that kind of shit, you don't find that more than a little dishonest?
It's secretive for sure, objectively. I find it dishonest for sure. But they aren't paid to say something specific, that's the reason they don't have to disclose it, and why companies can ask them to not disclose it. If you are actually outright paid to advertise, meaning paid to only say positive things, then it's actually in the US an FCC violation to not disclose it as an advertisement.

But again.. it's "who gives a shit?" territory for me.

IntentionalPun

IMO you're just being ignorant at this point. You're not add anything to the thread. In fact, you can right now enter in every gaming thread, not just neogaf, but resetera as well, and every fight players have with a particular company just call an 'overacting' case.

IDK about rules over what can be 'overacting' or not, so make sure after someone put a decent argument you came up with a better one.

BTW, Its not because you said 'that just proved my point' don't mean you actually proved something. If you don't like this particular game or don't like gaming at all at least be completely honest about.
It's called an opinion.. this is a discussion forum, it's OK if you disagree.

WTF is this bizarre "don't like gaming at all" crap? I game nearly every day.. I spend loads of money on it. Getting upset over not getting free shit in an F2P game on an anniversary is not something I'd ever do, has nothing to do with how much I love gaming.

Ceadeus

Chinese developers are sooo greedy and relying on player addictiveness.

Knocking off anything that has success and making it cheaper

Pejo

It's secretive for sure, objectively. I find it dishonest for sure. But they aren't paid to say something specific, that's the reason they don't have to disclose it, and why companies can ask them to not disclose it. If you are actually outright paid to advertise, meaning paid to only say positive things, then it's actually in the US an FCC violation to not disclose it as an advertisement.

But again.. it's "who gives a shit?" territory for me.
I think that's exactly what's going on but they're being paid in primogems (a game currency which has zero real world value), so they can dodge the FCC rules.

BlackM1st

Banned
But wait, this is a f2p game, so why are these people complaining again?

Like seriously, the entitlement is just whoosh!
Game made 2 Billion in 1 year. And MiHoYo celebrates it with bonuses that any other F2P Gacha will give you just for logins lol

IntentionalPun

I think that's exactly what's going on but they're being paid in primogems (a game currency which has zero real world value), so they can dodge the FCC rules.
It's all very "nudge nudge wink wink we won't give you more if you bash the game".. but honestly so are game previews... ever read a game preview that bashed the game? I can count on one hand in my 30 years of reading gaming magazines/web sites how many previews said anything remotely negative. It's "we invite you to our office to look at something, we buy you lunch, maybe give you a swag bag" shit.. now with online sites it's "ooohh I got early access to a demo code!"

Media surrounding hobbies just isn't something anyone should trust, and streamers are part of the media. Some more honest than others for sure, but they are just another talking head with an opinion anyways.

MiHoYo does sound sort of hilariously stingy of course, not arguing that. It's just sort of something that would go into deciding to play a game for me.. I play F2P games and enjoy getting stuff, and if a game makes it really difficult to get anything for "free" I'm just less likely to play the game.. nothing more nothing less.

It's just my personal perspective.

Last edited:

Fake

It's called an opinion.. this is a discussion forum, it's OK if you disagree.

WTF is this bizarre "don't like gaming at all" crap? I game nearly every day.. I spend loads of money on it. Getting upset over not getting free shit in an F2P game on an anniversary is not something I'd ever do, has nothing to do with how much I love gaming.

I 100% agree with you. Your opinion, my opinion, they can both vary, but calling someone 'overacting' is not an opinion, is more like a insult.

And you can't tell what people can or not be mad dude. lol

Pejo

It's all very "nudge nudge wink wink we won't give you more if you bash the game".. but honestly so are game previews... ever read a game preview that bashed the game? I can count on one hand in my 30 years of reading gaming magazines/web sites how many previews said anything remotely negative. It's "we invite you to our office to look at something, we buy you lunch, maybe give you a swag bag" shit.. now with online sites it's "ooohh I got early access to a demo code!"

Media surrounding hobbies just isn't something anyone should trust, and streamers are part of the media. Some more honest than others for sure, but they are just another talking head with an opinion anyways.
Totally agree, but you have to keep in mind that large populations of this game are extreme casuals and a surprisingly high number of children/young teens. They have no real world experience or wisdom to be able to figure out that "this youtuber is a shill and I should make my own decisions", they just laugh at the memes and say "if (Streamer X) says the new character is Meta and a must have, I gotta get it!"

Rikku-X

This is actually I think against the law in some countries as well.

gela94

anybody surprised, company makes a shitload of cash and bang company becomes even more shitty and greedy.

Top Bottom