• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Pejo

Worst "puzzle" ever.

That part with the underground electric columns with a particular order for the activation AND the final pylon arrangement is beyond stupid. Annoying for the sake of annoying.

Damn daily comission lured me into this area. I was hoping for a quick dungeon fast travel activation. Boy, was I surprised...

The pylon part of this quest probably took me the longest out of any individual quest to figure out, hated it. Well, actually, that Sudoku puzzle took me a while too. The instructions were really bad for it.

BlackM1st

Banned
The pylon part of this quest probably took me the longest out of any individual quest to figure out, hated it. Well, actually, that Sudoku puzzle took me a while too. The instructions were really bad for it.
Yeah, Inazuma's puzzle design is... puzzling %) Probably the weakest part of the whole 2.0 area.

Pejo

Yeah, Inazuma's puzzle design is... puzzling %) Probably the weakest part of the whole 2.0 area.
Really it was just Watatsumi Island. I thought the rest were reasonable to good. I feel like that whole island was designed by interns or something.

BlackM1st

Banned
I thought the rest were reasonable to good.
I liked only the switching cubes. Because they were pretty straightforward and didn't required me to run around aimlessly.

I remember 1 really bad puzzle with them tho. The one where cubes from 1 puzzle were located on separate islands. The fact that I still remember it shows that it was annoying enough.

Can't remember any puzzles before 2.0

OK, maybe 1. In the 1st area, on a separate island 🏝. The one where you needed to wait for the night time 🌙

P.S. Wallpaper from the current web event in case you don't wanna bother with it for 50 primos:

6a0uiMJ.png

Pejo

I liked only the switching cubes. Because they were pretty straightforward and didn't required me to run around aimlessly.

I remember 1 really bad puzzle with them tho. The one where cubes from 1 puzzle were located on separate islands. The fact that I still remember it shows that it was annoying enough.

Can't remember any puzzles before 2.0

OK, maybe 1. In the 1st area, on a separate island 🏝. The one where you needed to wait for the night time 🌙

P.S. Wallpaper from the current web event in case you don't wanna bother with it for 50 primos:

6a0uiMJ.png
I thought that Eula accessory was a garter belt. Guess it makes more sense that it's a headband in a G rated game like Genshin.

BlackM1st

Banned
I thought that Eula accessory was a garter belt. Guess it makes more sense that it's a headband in a G rated game like Genshin.
Maybe IT IS a garter belt. Who said that you can't wear it on your head tho? Remember, GI world has its own " laws " ;D

I also noticed that she has a spare tie 👔 and a spare CRYO VISION lmao Deep lore moment.

Dat snowman ⛄ is gonna be a playable character at 1 point, no doubt.

Frosty The Snowman Christmas GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Pejo

Pretty sure they(playerbase) don't care about puzzles at all.
Which in the same breath is hilarious that they care about character tier lists and relative character strength.

"I need that Homa Hu Tao for when I get to abyss 12 next year!"

YukiOnna

Pretty sure they(playerbase) don't care about puzzles at all.
Most probably ignore them, yeah.

Which in the same breath is hilarious that they care about character tier lists and relative character strength.

"I need that Homa Hu Tao for when I get to abyss 12 next year!"
I'm actually curious about Abyss participation %. Wonder how many stick with it.

BlackM1st

Banned
Homa is too good to ignore. A universally great stat stick.

Unlike EULA'S claymore. Utter garbage of a weapon aimed strictly at her.

She can make it work only because she's naturally leveling her C. DMG and her Cryo resonance gives her a free C.Rate. That's claymore Phys Dmg main stat is a joke for everyone except her ;(

Same goes for Baal's spear/ Kokomi's 🍩

Unfortunately we doesn't have enough of universally good weapons. Especially in claymores category.

I'm actually curious about Abyss participation %
Very low, no doubt. Rewards are terrible, plus even BP missions require the bare minimum of ☆ to complete them. In the same time I'm not sure if MiHo will ever introduce a better Rewards, because most people would call it unfair.

Inazuma has way too many, anyway.
You can't fucking explore without having to stop every 3 meters.
This is also true.

Fuz

Banned
I'm actually curious about Abyss participation %. Wonder how many stick with it.
I think I could clear it with some effort.
But I hate it. It's the opposite of fun. I have to force myself to do the first/second floors at resets. Haven't done second yet this reset, and I probably won't.
I'm not sure if MiHo will ever introduce a better Rewards
God, I hope not.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

In terms of game design choice for 5 star weapons, I'm probably the exact opposite of most of you in regards to wanting it to be universal.
Very low, no doubt. Rewards are terrible, plus even BP missions require the bare minimum of ☆ to complete them. In the same time I'm not sure if MiHo will ever introduce a better Rewards, because most people would call it unfair.
How much primogems does Abyss floors even net?

I think I could clear it with some effort.
But I hate it. It's the opposite of fun. I have to force myself to do the first/second floors at resets. Haven't done second yet this reset, and I probably won't.
I don't really partake in it either, it's just a pain and Artifact farming is enough.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

BlackM1st

Banned
In terms of game design choice for 5 star weapons, I'm probably the exact opposite of most of you in regards to wanting it to be universal
Yeah, well, you're exact opposite of us when it comes to willingness of sharing your Credit Card information with a small indi company called MiHoYo ;D

season 5 episode 21 GIF

You support the small guy! ;_; (I do too, but to a way lesser extent hah)

I DO like the personalized design each signature weapon has, I just wish that they weren't such a bitch to obtain and provided at least some level of utility comparable to its high cost. Pulling for signature weapons for every new hero is just not cost effective.

As things stand now, BP weapons are much better overall option for the most people.

BTW speaking of puzzles and general exploration:

I have no idea how/why but my first 2 Inazuma islands is at 100% despite having a fuckton of oculus laying around / unopened dungeons/ incomplete puzzles(like following an electric particles).

I remember in previous patches getting an area to 100% was pretty annoying, because it required literally everything to be completed, up to a smallest boxes 📦 floating in the water.

Wonder why/when/how it changed. . .

YukiOnna

Yeah, well, you're exact opposite of us when it comes to willingness of sharing your Credit Card information with a small indi company called MiHoYo ;D

You support the small guy! ;_; (I do too, but to a way lesser extent hah)

I DO like the personalized design each signature weapon has, I just wish that they weren't such a bitch to obtain and provided at least some level of utility comparable to its high cost. Pulling for signature weapons for every new hero is just not cost effective.

As things stand now, BP weapons are much better overall option for the most people.
That must explain the spam calls I'm getting from all the way there recently...

I agree with that. I think it should work in that it's a decent/viable choice for other characters while being Best in Slot for the character its a signature weapon for. It shouldn't be that hard to balance it so that it actually works for everyone in that category.

Pejo

I'm actually ok with 5* weapons being kinda specific in purpose, but it's also really nice to see weapons like that free DEF sword for Albedo. It's clearly his BIS weapon, but it's mostly being used as a sales tactic to roll him so you can actually do something with it. Klee book is another good example of a great f2p weapon.

If the weapon banners weren't such universally terrible value and you could guarantee your 5* without RNG after like 70 pulls, it'd be worth it. I do wish that 4* characters got like a "character quest" to get them specific weapons tied to their kits and aesthetics though. Maybe make them only work on those characters, but it gives their kit something they're otherwise missing. Good opportunity to provide buffs to certain characters or fix their kit without making others overpowered.

I really wonder if we'll ever get something to address the character usefulness imbalance issues. They obviously aren't interested in balance patches, so it seems like the only way we'd get anything is through a new equipment type, growth mechanic, skill tree, etc. I would normally say that it's a given that eventually we'll have the ability to modify characters and increase their star level or something, but considering we already have like 45 characters in the game, and are only on the 3rd of 7 countries, that's looking less and less likely. I wonder how many characters Genshin will have by the time they shut it down?

BlackM1st

Banned
Maybe make them only work on those characters, but it gives their kit something they're otherwise missing.
Amazing idea.

we already have like 45 characters in the game, and are only on the 3rd of 7 countries
Yeah, and yet it still feels like we are missing a ton of roles/heroes. MiHo is really slow 🐌 Or just want to drip feed as always, because for every Baal we have like 5 characters nobody gives a F about. 4☆ spam is expected, but MiHo REALLY hates universally good heroes/weapons. Probably hurts their bottom line.

Saber

Gold Member
I really wonder if we'll ever get something to address the character usefulness imbalance issues. They obviously aren't interested in balance patches, so it seems like the only way we'd get anything is through a new equipment type, growth mechanic, skill tree, etc. I would normally say that it's a given that eventually we'll have the ability to modify characters and increase their star level or something, but considering we already have like 45 characters in the game, and are only on the 3rd of 7 countries, that's looking less and less likely. I wonder how many characters Genshin will have by the time they shut it down?

Tbh I'm more concerned about the fact that Dendro, an element introduced since alpha, isn't properly added to the game. How they can be that negligent is beyond me.

By the time they decide to add Dendro properly, I believe GI will be gone for good.

Pejo

Amazing idea.

Yeah, and yet it still feels like we are missing a ton of roles/heroes. MiHo is really slow 🐌 Or just want to drip feed as always, because for every Baal we have like 5 characters nobody gives a F about. 4☆ spam is expected, but MiHo REALLY hates universally good heroes/weapons. Probably hurts their bottom line.
Yea they focused too much on the same weapon/element types and job roles. We still have an imbalance of Cryo/Pyro characters, and since they already made a bunch of strong ones, now we're getting limited use characters. I don't think I've seen a single person in the game use what's his name...the blonde 'fixer' spear guy from Inazuma (technically Mondstadt). They really seem shy about making good Hydro characters since Waterboi. All of them since him have had serious drawbacks. Hell even Barbie (another launch character) has the huge drawback of making the active character "wet" which sucks vs. ice enemies. Xingqui meanwhile just excels everywhere off field.

Tbh I'm more concerned about the fact that Dendro, an element introduced since alpha, isn't properly added to the game. How they can be that negligent is beyond me.

By the time they decide to add Dendro properly, I believe GI will be gone for good.
Nah, Dendro will probably be at the tail end of 2.X or at the start of 3.0. They already datamined a few new reactions from the 2.4 beta, Overdose and Overgrow or something like that. It's coming soon-ish.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
IIRC it's right around the corner with the Chasm imminent release.

As for GI being "gone for good"... Yeah man , I dunno about that.

With such profits and mind share MiHo will need to royally fuck up for GI franchise to be gone for good. I don't believe that GI is on the Pokémon level, but it's pretty much current gen's GTA Online.

I'm pretty sure it dwarfs FF14 Online already. Maybe we are witnessing the new WoW being born. Hyperbole? I dunno. I believe that MiHo is just as greedy as Big N or Activision.

Sure it can repeat the fate of the Wii (being initially ridiculously successful but ultimately become irrelevant) , but there's always a GI Part 2 backup plan. And I doubt that MiHo will call it "Genshin Impact U" ;D

Fuz

Banned

With such profits and mind share MiHo will need to royally fuck up for GI franchise to be gone for good. I don't believe that GI is on the Pokémon level, but it's pretty much current gen's GTA Online.

I'm pretty sure it dwarfs FF14 Online already. Maybe we are witnessing the new WoW being born. Hyperbole? I dunno. I believe that MiHo is just as greedy as Big N or Activision.

Sure it can repeat the fate of the Wii (being initially ridiculously successful but ultimately become irrelevant) , but there's always a GI Part 2 backup plan. And I doubt that MiHo will call it "Genshin Impact U" ;D
Wait until it has proper competitors.

Genshin is in such a strong position right now, I can't see it fail at this point. Just look at how little impact the anniversary controversy ended up having. Even if there's competition, those competitors will have to start from square one, competing with a game that's had at least 1.5 years of updates. By no means do I think Genshin is a perfect game, not by a long shot, but I doubt anything better will come along for a long time.

Pejo

Well the best part, and one of the things that I kinda appreciate - It seems that MHY is funneling in at least some of the profits from Genshin into other games. Honkai shot up tremendously in quality and free content since Genshin came out. We're getting Star Rail and there are even talks of Honkai 4. Not to mention all the music and animations that they're putting out.

Realistically, only the CCP can stop them at this point with how well they're diversifying. MHY certainly is a predatory gacha company, but at least they're making things I like opposed to western devs and their fartnight ripoffs.

BlackM1st

Banned
Wait until it has proper competitors.
Been waiting since day 1. I ain't even kidding. Would gladly support its alternative with a premium BP subscription etc.

Genshin is in such a strong position right now, I can't see it fail at this point.
Same.

Even if there's competition, those competitors will have to start from square one, competing with a game that's had at least 1.5 years of updates.
Don't underestimate the power of the pantsu.

teemu-taiga-mona-lingerie.jpg

If GI competition will have a healthy stream of new heroes and a strong initial cast it will AT LEAST put some fire under MiHo ass.

Sure, hero design isn't everything, but that's something MiHo competitors can have a genuine shot at and it doesn't require investment of 200 million dollars. As long as they're not from China too ofc ;(

But yeah, I agree that repeating a success isn't as easy as some say. Otherwise we would have a far superior and far more successful WoW clones / GTA O clones.

but at least they're making things I like opposed to western devs and their fartnight ripoffs.
This also true.

And speaking of Fortnite: Great design for heroes. But absolutely terrible everything else. Can't stand the genre and its audience. So good character design isn't everything.

Honkai shot up tremendously in quality and free content since Genshin came out. We're getting Star Rail and there are even talks of Honkai 4.
Don't give a slightest F about any of it, unless H4 is a 1 to 1 GI clone but with a better designs/flashier battles. Production values are just not there for H rn. I'm not judging it ofc, it's a pretty old game from a far different MiHo. Just stating a fact that I'm not interested in it in its current state.

YukiOnna

It is kinda funny though, I prefer him with his new design with short hair. Wish they'd have just cropped his hair after looking at the trailer.
Yeah it was and same he looks more normal this way. I also wish he kept the mask on.

Itto's vid is more like an introduction to oni than for the character itself. I read some stuff about him and I think he's a pretty fun archetype. It's just not executed all that well. His gang looks lame and apart from him being fun-loving, goofy and kinda dumb there doesn't seem to be much to him. That everyone's obsessing over Ayato shows how uninteresting Itto is.

Pejo

I hate this timeline

I haven't done Gorou hangout yet, but if this animation is anything to go by, I'm glad I didn't swallow the Hina pill. Nothing but pain at the end of that road, just like Signora fans.

Some new "grain of salt" leaks from reddit:
if no change, ayato will be in 2.6. blue hair, white coat, similar to zhouyu’s marine skin in honor of kings, one-handed sword with unknown element, short haircut

yelan and kuki shinobu are pre-3.0 characters

3.0 sumeru, potential slight lore spoilers: there will be a quest where you have to find ores for the dendro archon. sumeru academia should be studying khaenri’ah. sumeru is a high tech nation

I looked up the referenced character but couldn't find anything good, here's a cosplay costume for the thing referenced, I think:

*edit*

Nevermind, I found the referenced costume on the official site:

OYXVGgo.jpg

So kinda an "over the shoulder" coat thing, not sure what it'll look like underneath the coat though. This vaguely lines up with previous Ayato leaks

Last edited:
Top Bottom