• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Pejo

iu

Pejo

As long as you can ignore the pure madness of its world lmao

Love our smug female protag. She knows she can do whatever she likes and wreck anyone.
I like biblical based stories and mythology, so the story for BA is right up my alley. The surface level story is whatever so far, it seems to mainly just be introducing all the main story players. The localization is one of the best I've played in a long time, though. Some of the scenarios and character lines actually made me laugh. Aru's stories alone are worth playing for.

BlackM1st

Banned
I like biblical based stories and mythology, so the story for BA is right up my alley. The surface level story is whatever so far, it seems to mainly just be introducing all the main story players. The localization is one of the best I've played in a long time, though. Some of the scenarios and character lines actually made me laugh. Aru's stories alone are worth playing for.
Speaking of smug...

rikuhachima_aru___blue_archive_by_roe2roe_deeapgo-fullview.jpg

LMAO

I have here, but I'm not sure if I will bother with a game tho.

Watched some bird lady videos... yeah, not pulling. She continues the Kokomi trend of having a literal tail covering her back. I tried to ignore it, but... yeah, not gonna happen.

Shenhe-banner-release-date-Genshin-Impact.jpg

GI loves its unnecessary rear fluff...

Pejo

I just wish she was Hydro Spear or Cryo Catalyst instead of Cryo Spear.

At least her animations are great.

*edit*

I agree with, I think it was Fuz Fuz , that mentioned the cooldowns are just too long. That's the major issue I see with her now. Long cooldown characters are just boring to play. I wouldn't even care so much if it was like Eula where the Press cooldown is short, and the Hold cooldown is longer. As she is though, there's nothing to break up the monotony of waiting for your cooldown. She doesn't even have a unique charge attack to make up for it like Jean or something. And this is a 5*.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Fuz

BlackM1st

Banned
She doesn't even have a unique charge attack to make up for it like Jean or something.
Speaking of Jean... pull #37 with 1 free wish from the BP gave me C1 Jean
(I also now have a very expensive C1 QiQi, but let's not talk about that)

Angry He Man GIF
Jean is bae.

Especially with Aquila favonia.

Kinda hate her talent books dungeon tho. It's not hard, it's just annoying as F, especially if I'm not using Geo Lord.

And speaking of the current event:

Cleared the store in 15 minutes. Man, if only all events were like that. I did all the boss challenges in 1 go except for the "kill 4 enemies". It actually took 2 more tries because for some reason only 2 slimes were spawning per 1 fight.

Story is OK I guess, I'm glad that GI is absolutely fucking dark and brutal even if its grim darkness is happening off screen/lurking in shadows. Kinda reminds me the "Adventure Time" and the SpongeBob(Bob's lore is dark beyond belief lmao).

What REALLY bothered me during the story has nothing to do with the actual event tho. I was kinda surprised (not in a good way) by Amber's words about the Dragonspine:

"If it were a little warmer and a little safer, I bet this place would be busting with visitors"

WHAT DA...

angry the simpsons GIF

Like seriously... this is same as if devs actually slapped us in a face lol. No way it's a random line of text. THEY KNOW exactly what we want, but they're refusing to make the Dragonspine's weather normal. I can't with them D:

BlackM1st

Banned
They don't have to make Dragonspine's weather completely normal. They can just add a weather effect for snowstorm that builds up the frost effect.
I don't care how exactly they will make it, I just want them to make it less annoying. Like WAY less annoying.

There's absolutely no good reason for it to stay hostile even after the main Dragonspine quest is over.

Maybe there's a 10 years plan for it, something like "in year 5 Dragon will be resurrected and will warm up the mountain", but who would actually care about Dragonspine by then? And iirc that particular dragon had no fire breathing abilities.

So uh...

Do/call it however you like, just do it MiHo!

Pejo

I finally got around to some of the Hangout events I've been putting off. Beidou's path about her experiences as a kid was surprisingly good, and the later quests are directly referential to an earlier part in the quest. In my mind, that's what all the hangouts should be. Getting to know the characters, the lore about them, the way they view things. 3 of her 5 endings were bullshit "let's go help NPCs for an hour" endings. These are what I wish they'd stop doing.

Sayu's were pretty good, but like Diona's they lean too much into their most obvious character trait. "But I'm just a lazy slacker ninja!" isn't even funny the first time, but they just keep going back to it over and over and over. It reminds me of Xenoblade 2 when they kept doing the "Tatsu is not food!"...well and the same thing for 'EmErGeNcY fOoD Paimon!' (1 million LOLS per minute). I guess with the kid characters there is less room to handle nuance and backstories, since they're kids. Either way, for a character that has almost zero relevance to the game, it was nice to get her some screen time.

I also tried a branch of Chongus. Pretty forgettable. It'd be nice if one of the male characters was an honest story instead of them all being bumbling idiots or thick skulled goofs.

I guess they think that goofy, zero consequence stories are the way to go with these quests, but I'd like something a little more personal and heartfelt, at least for one of the paths per character. Again, Beidou's backstory branch was really good for that reason. She's actually one of the more dynamic characters we've gotten in these quests too. Not just a one-note "here's my character trait and that's all you get". Barbara's was probably the 2nd best at showing other sides to their character, with the bits about Jean and her upbringing. It was a nice break from the idol crap and gave you a frame of reference that there's more to the character.

BlackM1st

Banned
It was a nice break from the idol crap and gave you a frame of reference that there's more to the character.
I want more idol crap for Barbie.

baby-metal-moa-metal.gif

More stars 🌟 and sparkles ✨. Skimpier outfits, shorter skirts...

de0fbb938e684b331039c56a7e5a3675.gif

Want a full fledged concert/ idol contest similar to Pyro Chef cooking event.

So far from her idol side I can remember only her stalkers lmao And that's just sad.

perfect-blue-anime.gif

d16a14f64b15fda22626400c2f0fedd344eadff5_hq.gif

Out of everything an "idol" type can bring, I remember the worst part hah. BTW everyone should watch the "Perfect Blue". That anime is fucking amazing.

YukiOnna

Barbara's was probably the 2nd best at showing other sides to their character, with the bits about Jean and her upbringing. It was a nice break from the idol crap and gave you a frame of reference that there's more to the character.
I liked the bad end you got with Barbara when Traveler acted like a prick to the guy needing help.

Pejo

I urge you to do Gorou.
Prince And The Revolution No GIF by Prince

I want more idol crap for Barbie.

More stars 🌟 and sparkles ✨. Skimpier outfits, shorter skirts...

Want a full fledged concert/ idol contest similar to Pyro Chef cooking event.

So far from her idol side I can remember only her stalkers lmao And that's just sad.

Out of everything an "idol" type can bring, I remember the worst part hah. BTW everyone should watch the "Perfect Blue". That anime is fucking amazing.
We need Barbie Alter who's in a Genshin version of Babymetal. I'd be into that.

It's not that I mind the idol parts, I just hate it when a character is forever stuck as one character trait for the duration of the game. Barbie, thanks to some story quests and her hangout is actually pretty well rounded considering the number of characters in the game. She's also one of the faces of it though, so yea.

I liked the bad end you got with Barbara when Traveler acted like a prick to the guy needing help.
Yea, my memory isn't great for some of the hangouts, but as far as I know that's the only truly "bad" end we've gotten, out of the ones I played. I wonder if people that never played a VN in their lives actually got that ending without trying to though.

I still don't get the whole points of the heart meter for the hangouts quests either. It seems like it's hard gated at a certain level depending on where the quest branches are, so it doesn't really even seem like something you can influence. Like Beidou had 5/5 hearts by the end of her top branch, but hearts at 3/5 for the first quest and you can't really change it. I've just been ignoring it entirely.

BlackM1st

Banned
Deep lore or strange coincedence? You decide.

From the Klee original teaser:
rdg9djdvlu381.jpg

That's probably just a story to keep her inside at nights.

But yeah, since now we have a literall genius level body snatchers occupying the Ice Mountain I wouldn't trust anyone or anything coming from or around of that now seemingly cursed city lol

Full Yunjin animations. Notice the Keqing "inspiration" for the first 3 hits.

Yet she fails where it's matters the most: no ass cheek hit for maximum damage. Definitely an impostor!

Pejo

That's probably just a story to keep her inside at nights.

But yeah, since now we have a literall genius level body snatchers occupying the Ice Mountain I wouldn't trust anyone or anything coming from or around of that now seemingly cursed city lol
Well technically fake Albedo has been in Mondstadt at least once, no matter how you take the story, and he's a Knight of Favonius, so it's true.

I find her design very charming but other than that nothing calls my attention. And being a spear geo didn't make things any better.
Yea, her design is unique at least, but everything about her, for me, is summed up by: Meh.

I keep waking up every day hoping we have costume leaks already, but still nothing. Maybe MHY are actually going to keep something under wraps for once?

The mere fact that Yun Jin doesn't fit into mono geo teams is enough to get my attention. What a horrible concept that is. She seems flexible enough and her parry should be fun to use.

BlackM1st

Banned
So you know that Electro Sigil store in Inazuma that has been suspiciously closed until we unlock max level Sakura tree?

You guys are never gonna guess what awesome sundries lie in wait for us at this place:

24hne7x3ry381.png
WHUT

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

THAT'S IT? AYYYYY LMAO

Fuz

Banned
So you know that Electro Sigil store in Inazuma that has been suspiciously closed until we unlock max level Sakura tree?

You guys are never gonna guess what awesome sundries lie in wait for us at this place:

24hne7x3ry381.png
I was expecting less, tbh.
We already had a reward source for sigils, those pieces of shit at mihoyo we're never gonna let us have more than that.

Pejo

I was expecting less, tbh.
We already had a reward source for sigils, those pieces of shit at mihoyo we're never gonna let us have more than that.
Well sure, but a hard limit on 20 exchanges of Mora? The green-tier weapon materials? I mean it's not like sigils are a farmable resource that can be abused. So fucking cheap, a year plus into the game.

By this point, the relative value of Mora and XP books to an average player should (rightfully) be down to almost nothing. This seems like a good time to update the BP rewards and daily/weekly missions again too.

Fuz

Banned
By this point, the relative value of Mora and XP books to an average player should (rightfully) be down to almost nothing. This seems like a good time to update the BP rewards and daily/weekly missions again too.
Animated GIF

crumbs

Getting caught up with the Inazuma archon quest storyline. I'm at the point where (I'll put these in spoiler tags although I'm probably the only person in this thread that hasn't finished these quests):

You join the resistance, then duel with some jobbers that Kojou Sara sends out. The battle starts and things look bad, but fish girl show ups and blows some bubbles around and saves dog boy with the help of Beidou & Kazuha. Apparently fish girl is a tactical genius, but they picked an English VA that sounds like a middle schooler.

Anyway, not sure about the decision to have the resistance led by muppets, they needed some characters with gravitas to stand in comparison to the shogun. That said, I'll save final judgement until the storyline wraps up.

Last edited:

Pejo

Getting caught up with the Inazuma archon quest storyline. I'm at the point where (I'll put these in spoiler tags although I'm probably the only person in this thread that hasn't finished these quests):

You join the resistance, then duel with some jobbers that Kojou Sara sends out. The battle starts and things look bad, but fish girl show ups and blows some bubbles around and saves dog boy with the help of Beidou & Kazuha. Apparently fish girl is a tactical genius, but they picked an English VA that sounds like a middle schooler.

Anyway, not sure about the decision to have the resistance led by muppets, they needed some characters with gravitas to stand in comparison to the shogun. That said, I'll save final judgement until the storyline wraps up.
Visually you're in for a treat. Story wise...well... I'm curious to see what your thoughts are when it's done.

Not sure where you are as far as Inazuma Islands, but Tsurumi Island is probably my favorite location in the game so far, so if you haven't done it yet, it's really good.

Finally a half decent Amber cosplay. Usually they all make the hair look weird. Look at the nice size of those beautiful round goggles.

dxqt65mlux381.jpg

BlackM1st

Banned
Visually you're in for a treat. Story wise...well... I'm curious to see what your thoughts are when it's done.

Not sure where you are as far as Inazuma Islands, but Tsurumi Island is probably my favorite location in the game so far, so if you haven't done it yet, it's really good.

Finally a half decent Amber cosplay. Usually they all make the hair look weird. Look at the nice size of those beautiful round goggles.

dxqt65mlux381.jpg
Los Angeles Lakers Sport GIF by NBA

Hm.... ○○

Tsurumi Island is probably my favorite location in the game so far
Just opened the 1st respawn point. Definitely not something I'm gonna rush and extensively activate/loot. Island is so awesome in its "dead" state, so I don't wanna ruin it and bring it back to "normal". I enjoy a small Silent Hill detour too much.

Reminds me of the Saboteur a little. Where the cool black n white noir atmosphere was only on enemy occupied territories.

mRQfTnxvLiMxw5FF_xtgkA.jpeg

crumbs

I think that Kannazuka is the latest area that I visited. There's definitely at least 2 more large parts of the map that I need to unlock their archon statues. Aesthetically, Inazuma hasn't disappointed so far, so it's good to know there's some interesting areas left to check out.

I've been making an effort to not to rush through the new areas and I've been leaving the electro damage areas for later. Do I need to do something to clear the constant electro damage effect or will I just have to deal with it?

Pejo

I think that Kannazuka is the latest area that I visited. There's definitely at least 2 more large parts of the map that I need to unlock their archon statues. Aesthetically, Inazuma hasn't disappointed so far, so it's good to know there's some interesting areas left to check out.

I've been making an effort to not to rush through the new areas and I've been leaving the electro damage areas for later. Do I need to do something to clear the constant electro damage effect or will I just have to deal with it?
You'll eventually ruin fix all of the islands so that their unique mechanic is gone. You can't really miss it if you're doing the story and world quests. Taking your time with it is definitely the right move. Seirai and Tsurumi Islands are both to the south of the main Inazuma island, and they're the two best by far.

BlackM1st

Banned

Worst "puzzle" ever.

That part with the underground electric columns with a particular order for the activation AND the final pylon arrangement is beyond stupid. Annoying for the sake of annoying.

Damn daily comission lured me into this area. I was hoping for a quick dungeon fast travel activation. Boy, was I surprised...

Top Bottom