• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Pejo

I assume so that they can get money from the youtube video.
They could have at least had a mail item with a link when you finish the story quest. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's official lore stuff being outside of the game it's about. This drove me nuts with Final Fantasy XV. There's literally no way to get the full experience inside the game.

Reactions: Fuz

YukiOnna

*edit* holy fuck, after doing some digging, I found this official story quest trailer that basically spells out the entire background to the story quest we just did. Why the fuck was this not in the game????

Yeah. I was expecting all of this to be in the game and how it would end, but that was not the case. :messenger_downcast_sweat: I'm glad I at least watched it beforehand.

Last edited:
This water event with capturing water enemies is the worst event I've seen in the game since that "deliver food without running or gliding" garbage, which admittedly was much worse than this. Still, I really dislike the busy work found in this game sometimes, and the water capture mechanics they created just don't feel fun to me.

YukiOnna

This water event with capturing water enemies is the worst event I've seen in the game since that "deliver food without running or gliding" garbage, which admittedly was much worse than this. Still, I really dislike the busy work found in this game sometimes, and the water capture mechanics they created just don't feel fun to me.
I quite like this one since I find it easy and it's not as grueling as the 14 whatever map grind for Seelie. My only problem is that Rhodeia's rewards suck.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'd like the pet more if I could still shoot bubbles.

You could desummon after bubble and use your regular attacks in the exploration zones. Could pull off some cool shit.

After you get the pet though it's about as useful as the Seelie.

And the Seelie is cuter sooooo...

Saber

Gold Member
Resin costs reduced on bosses? About goddamn time.

I though they were scum trying to create a resin "credit card". At least this was a healthy move.

Pejo

Just finished Rhodea quest. Interesting that all of those Oceanids hate the new Hydro archon so much that they all left to do other things with their lives. Wonder if she's a real bitch or just doesn't like the way that the previous archon did things.

Fuz

Banned
So I was thinking and reading about the lore after the story quest yesterday, I have a few questions:

If the Archon war was 2000 years ago, and the destruction of (human kingdom, I forget the name so I'll call it Kanr'ia) was only 500 years ago, what the fuck were the archons doing the entire time that Kanr'ia set out the ruin sentinels to "cull" literally anybody they came across? Why did it take meddling from the "unknown god" or whatever, or why didn't they take more action instead of just letting everything get really bad and then wiping them off the map? Also, is the opening cutscene from 500 years ago when you landed in Teyvat in a meteor? Or was the meteor thing long before that, and then you went to sleep for a long time after being banished by the god? The timeline is certainly fucky and I don't really get it yet.

*edit* holy fuck, after doing some digging, I found this official story quest trailer that basically spells out the entire background to the story quest we just did. Why the fuck was this not in the game????

I actually want to know what the fuck was the MC doing all those 500 years. He never found out there was a city nearby his fishing spot?

YukiOnna

I actually want to know what the fuck was the MC doing all those 500 years. He never found out there was a city nearby his fishing spot?
Wasn't it stated Traveler is asleep for 500 years and only has flashes of memories of the various events? or I might be remembering wrong.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Story is a bit all over the place.

Pretty sure Paimon is the Unknown Goddess and separates Lumine and Aether on purpose

Fake

IDK

IMO The godness those twins are looking for is the same that burn their city, those two pursuit her, She know is more difficult to elude those two twins together, so she separete one from another and probably deceives the other.

Thats maybe explain WHY her sister still have her badass sword. Maybe that God make a deal with her in exchange to not seal her powers. She can still travel between other worlds unlike the traveler supressed abilities.

The only think I know for sure that Gods hate others Gods. Was pretty much said on that Zhongli questline. She want to destroy the seven.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Unknown God/Kiana's location is likely up on Celestia. I don't know if one is being deceived or what the reason was for have one of them experience the past and run their journey through that, but your twin voices the same thing the God says to them at the beginning about Outlanders.

There's also the battle pass intro:

Fuz

Banned
Wasn't it stated Traveler is asleep for 500 years and only has flashes of memories of the various events? or I might be remembering wrong.
Dunno, it's a mess. The other twin wake up before the MC (and never thought about going to look for the MC, apparently), but did he just woke up before fishing Paimon? I thought I understood they came to that world 2000 years ago and the MC woke up 500 years ago.
Horrible writing in any case. Maybe the ideas behind the story are even good, but the writing itself is a giant pile of steaming crap.

And let's go back to
What a fucking stupid, juvenile cliché.
and with this I meant the ending for the story. She just goes away without talking to her sibling, without explaining anything, without saying anything about the abyss, without fucking anything. Just going away again because.
What a retarded anime cliché. Pathetic plot device.

Last edited:
IDK

IMO The godness those twins are looking for is the same that burn their city, those two pursuit her, She know is more difficult to elude those two twins together, so she separete one from another and probably deceives the other.

Thats maybe explain WHY her sister still have her badass sword. Maybe that God make a deal with her in exchange to not seal her powers. She can still travel between other worlds unlike the traveler supressed abilities.

The only think I know for sure that Gods hate others Gods. Was pretty much said on that Zhongli questline. She want to destroy the seven.

Didn't the unknown goddess stop the twins from leaving which lead to a fight and the separation of the twins?

Dregnel

you guys better wait 7 years, at least here they tell you what exactly the monsters of the abyss are., we have 0 idea what exactly the honkai is and what they want in honkai impact after 5 years :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Pejo

Didn't play it but does Honkai Impact have better writing?

I think at this point Astral Chain was written better.
Honkai has more definitive writing that doesn't make you guess at everything, and a lot more dark/depressing most of the time, but it's just as bad in the fact that every little side story, CG cutscene, and lore piece is buried all over the fucking place. Important lore is completely missable, sometimes outside of the game in Youtube videos, sometimes in manga, etc (but at least they link the videos in the game). I really can't stand this type of storytelling. Every piece of lore and cutscene and event info should be in the game at all times once you finish it. I should be able to go back and watch those cutscenes from the Mona/Fischl event whenever I want. I don't know how anybody that started after that event is going to know about the constellations and the false sky and basically all of Scaramouche's character. I do like what they tried with the archives that basically give you a summary of events, but a lot of the most lore-interesting bits are just hidden in the background of cutscenes, or in carefully worded dialogue that tell you things without explicitly spelling it out.

I'm a big lore nerd in games with interesting worlds like this, the Souls games, etc, so it sucks I can't just do a dive through it on slow days unless I search around for 200 different videos on youtube filled with fan theories and stuff. There should be an official channel for this type of thing. I still haven't read the Genshin Manga, but apparently it tells quite a bit about the world lore and specifically best girl Amber. I should look it up I guess.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Didn't play it but does Honkai Impact have better writing?
Kinda, but also not really.
Honkai does most of its story visual novel style, with some videos here and there.
So there's a lot of lore in the game, but it's extremely scattered, so if you want to piece it together, you need to pay attention to goddamn everything meticulously.
Though I will say the more recent story chapters are much more straight forward and easy to follow, but all the deeplore in the game is kinda confusing; it's not very clear at all what the honkai even is or what it wants.

Fake

Didn't the unknown goddess stop the twins from leaving which lead to a fight and the separation of the twins?

One of them know more than you, so whatever you choise at the start know nothing, lost almost his memory while the other retain all.

His land was knowing for 'not have a God'. Maybe thats why got target.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Dunno, it's a mess. The other twin wake up before the MC (and never thought about going to look for the MC, apparently), but did he just woke up before fishing Paimon? I thought I understood they came to that world 2000 years ago and the MC woke up 500 years ago.
Horrible writing in any case. Maybe the ideas behind the story are even good, but the writing itself is a giant pile of steaming crap.
Honkai has more definitive writing that doesn't make you guess at everything, and a lot more dark/depressing most of the time, but it's just as bad in the fact that every little side story, CG cutscene, and lore piece is buried all over the fucking place. Important lore is completely missable, sometimes outside of the game in Youtube videos, sometimes in manga, etc (but at least they link the videos in the game). I really can't stand this type of storytelling. Every piece of lore and cutscene and event info should be in the game at all times once you finish it. I should be able to go back and watch those cutscenes from the Mona/Fischl event whenever I want. I don't know how anybody that started after that event is going to know about the constellations and the false sky and basically all of Scaramouche's character. I do like what they tried with the archives that basically give you a summary of events, but a lot of the most lore-interesting bits are just hidden in the background of cutscenes, or in carefully worded dialogue that tell you things without explicitly spelling it out.

I'm a big lore nerd in games with interesting worlds like this, the Souls games, etc, so it sucks I can't just do a dive through it on slow days unless I search around for 200 different videos on youtube filled with fan theories and stuff. There should be an official channel for this type of thing. I still haven't read the Genshin Manga, but apparently it tells quite a bit about the world lore and specifically best girl Amber. I should look it up I guess.
Times like this I wish we had a cutscene viewer (unless I missed it) and something better than collecting books to read or scattered side quests to have to learn the lore and properly delve into the world and its story. They could easily beef up the Archon Quest volume if they include this stuff. One of the reasons I liked the Liyue saga is because it delved into its history and relation to what it is today and when the Archon War happened, but really, just give us a playback of some sort.

One of them know more than you, so whatever you choise at the start know nothing, lost almost his memory while the other retain all.

His land was knowing for 'not have a God'. Maybe thats why got target.

I feel that the twins were manipulated/mind controlled and took part in the destruction. The other twin is aware and want to redeem by helping the Abyss order take revenge while we lost memory and roaming around. I have no idea about Dain though as he seems to dislike gods but is also against his own people who are now the Abyss order.

In other news I came across something in reddit which I found very interesting is that there have been no male 4* releases or any new Electro character release since the game came out.

Pejo

by1i19q1kzs61.jpg

Fake

Best ending.

edit: Something is telling me we gonna get loads of Naruto vs Sasuke vibes in this plot.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Best ending.

edit: Something is telling me we gonna get loads of Naruto vs Sasuke vibes in this plot.
This is going to be a Shonen Jump Anime arc kind of story so it'll probably happen.

Or some MGS shit with BROTHUUUUH and SISSSTAAAAAH!

Such a shame Aether isn't voiced by Cam Clarke.

Dregnel

i didn't want to post this but since i see alot people talking about it on discord and twitter, this is a "leaked" character but it could be another troll doing fan art like we usually have a week before the patch.

bFr5TvS.png

zm7ecB4.jpg

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Oh wow, another bland, uninteresting waifu. Feels like fake toh.
It hurts, but I must agree.

But that's the least of our problems: there's a rumors that
Baal can be a support character
WHAT DA FUCK?

Another God, another support? Second 5☆ electro and still not an SS tier DMG? Apparently MiHo didn't wanted to buff Electric Cat so Baal would feel more powerful. But I wasn't expecting another Geo Lord fuck up. I wanted electric Cocogoat, not a buffed Lisa. Damn. And this rumor comes after current event/quest that showed how great main DPS can truly be. Cocogoat fucked up both Oceanid and new Abyss boss like they were nothing. My personal best on Oceanid is 2:14 with just her and Noelle.

Saber

Gold Member
i didn't want to post this but since i see alot people talking about it on discord and twitter, this is a "leaked" character but it could be another troll doing fan art like we usually have a week before the patch.

bFr5TvS.png

zm7ecB4.jpg

I don't think its that bad...except for the cat like mouth. Thats weird.
I would like to see the rest to say if the design itself its good. The initial part seems likable to me.

Their designs are hit or miss anyways. Genshin got lots of well-designed characters early on, like Mona and Xiangling, but then we got "dude in a suit" and "lady with a hat." It's too early to tell with this newly leaked character IMO.

YukiOnna

bFr5TvS.png

zm7ecB4.jpg
Cute but I think fake? Doesn't look 1:1 to MHY Artist style.

Pejo

bFr5TvS.png

zm7ecB4.jpg
Why do they keep making Ambers instead of just buffing Amber. I feel like Hu Tao was flat Amber with a hat. This is BULLSHIT I say.

I've been reduced in the game to farming crystal ore. I vastly underestimated how much of it I was going to need.

YukiOnna

Why do they keep making Ambers instead of just buffing Amber. I feel like Hu Tao was flat Amber with a hat. This is BULLSHIT I say.

I've been reduced in the game to farming crystal ore. I vastly underestimated how much of it I was going to need.
She will rise one day. Believe.
xGRJ46f.jpg

Pejo

Found a super interesting post with some sources on the lore, sparked by this latest story quest, on Reddit.

This is something of a tough question. First you should be aware that MiHoYo's games draw heavily from Gnosticism for inspiration, and this is prevalent throughout everything.

Second, both Genshin Impact and the Honkai games exist in the same continuity; the multiverse is a very real concept with wide reaching consequences in the games.

Third, there is a universal force present in every single universe, with no exception. This force will do its best to utterly annihilate Humanity and any other form of life that it did not create. This force is personified by the Will of Honkai, the closest thing to God—as the Demiurge—that exists in the Honkai-multiverse.

Now this universal force, or law if you prefer, can take many forms, varied and no less deadly for it. Plagues; Tsunamis; Earthquakes; Asteroid impacts; Supernovae; War; Societal collapse; Genocidal aliens; Radiation; Corruption; there is nearly absolutely nothing that the Will of Honkai cannot do with it's manipulation of Honkai energy in the material universe—save stripping you of your very soul. The most notable creations of the Will of Honkai are the Honkai creatures and the Herrschers. These are the most prominently featured enemies in the games, of the various enamations of the Demiurge.

Now, to explain why it hates Humanity would require some explanation of Gnosticism. For now, let's move past that and operate on the basis of the Will of Honkai's absolute hatred of Humanity.

Inspite of this overwhelming hatred, it has a twisted sense of 'fairness' in that it will appropriately scale the strength of a Honkai Impact to the technological prowess of the civilization it wants to annihilate; to give it a "fighting chance" of sorts. However, as the civilizations thrive and continue to march forward in their technological advancement, the Honkai Impacts scale exponentially in strength. This is when the Herrschers are born; corrupted humans, swayed by the sickly sweet facade of the Will of Hokai, accept a gift from the God during a time of emotional upheaval—a Herrscher Core. Merely upon awakening, these Herrschers would kill millions of people. From then onward, they would be driven by genocidal impulses against Humanity. And they are truly fearsome foes; able to toy with the very laws of the material universe as the Will of Honkai had seen fit to grant them, and control endless legions of Honkai creatures.

Sovereigns in the truest sense.

However, the Will of Honkai has also seen fit to allow a Herrscher to turn their back on it, should they wish, and assist Humanity against the Will of Honkai. All in the name of 'fairness.' And as the Herrschers are defeated, the next to appear grows yet stronger, and stronger still. Until, at last—the civilization has reached the greatest threat that any universe had managed to reach.

The Herrscher of the End; the 14th Herald of Demise.

God Kiana.

No universe in the untold and countless hundreds of billions of billions of universes in existence on the Imaginary Tree have managed to survive past this point. None. And even should they somehow manage to do so, it would never end. A never ending war fighting for your very existence against beings that would eventually make the 14th Herrscher seem like a paltry joke.

This 14th Herrscher is always some variation of Kiana, as we have seen so far in Honkai 3rd Impact; likely to be the Sustainer of Heavenly Principles (the Unknown Goddess) that we have seen in Genshin Impact. And it is this 14th Herrscher that destroyed the Twin's homeworld; a world advanced enough to travel through dimensions and visit foreign worlds, a world knowledgeable enough to attain immortality.

Is it not understandable then, that Celestia would destroy every advanced human civilization that threatened the extinction of all of Humanity on Teyvat?

It is also not understandable then, why Lumine and Aether would detest the gods of Teyvat and Celestia's systematic genocide of human civilization?

When this sword was last drawn, humankind was trying to preserve a doomed world.
That world was their last and only home.
This sword was drawn to defy that fate of destruction.
—But to draw steel against the law of universe that "all who exist must one day perish..."
Surely it must have seemed the height of folly.
But really, when one is faced when such a final fate, when up against the star-devouring darkness,
What weapon would be fitting for one to wield? It can only be a sword. If nothing else, it shall bear the memory of those who faced their ends without fear...
Sword of Descension

The Twins hardly have human morality anymore, I'm sure; just look at how easily Aether would've left everyone on Teyvat in return for reuniting with Lumine. And how could they, when they know that every single world they've ever visited has been scoured clean of life by the Honkai?

All they've ever had is each other and the perpetual threat of the Honkai.

This is presumably why Aether and Lumine (the twins) are also on a search for something, something they've been searching for billions of years (and that is no joke) since the destruction of their homeworld. They are quite possibly the oldest beings in existence on Teyvat, considering that the average lifespan of a star is 10 billion years.

Note how little the two of them pay any mind to the passage of time in the latest story quest.

These two characters have a long and lonely history.

In your long journey, you have seen the birth and death of stars as they passed you by, Scattering the darkness briefly before being consumed once more.
Wings of Descension

I personally believe it to be the existence of the Will of Honkai that they are searching for, but that is just pure speculation on my part. Well, that and the parallel the Twins hold to a component of Gnosticism knowns as æons, which the Twins come as syzygies—but that would take too long to explain and get too philosophical.

When you wield this sword, you search for the answers hidden within this world.
But because this search is perhaps why you descended to this realm in the first place.
After all, this one was forged for one such as yourself.
Someone who challenges and pursues.
Take it, walk this earth,
And cut open all the challenges and mysteries that it has to offer you.
Sword of Descension

You can see this post for a brief timeline of the Twins at the start of the game and this one for some info on Khaenri’ah.
It basically shows how MHY ties all of their gaming properties in together, and makes a lot of sense. The twins are actually MUCH older than I was led to believe, thanks to flavor text for those fucking PS4 exclusive sword and wings. MiHoYo, WHY would you put something so interesting to lore in gear that less than 1/3 of the playerbase will actually see....

Anyways, if this guy is right, it makes the siblings super interesting lore wise. We are some powerful motherfuckers.

YukiOnna

Found a super interesting post with some sources on the lore, sparked by this latest story quest, on Reddit.

It basically shows how MHY ties all of their gaming properties in together, and makes a lot of sense. The twins are actually MUCH older than I was led to believe, thanks to flavor text for those fucking PS4 exclusive sword and wings. MiHoYo, WHY would you put something so interesting to lore in gear that less than 1/3 of the playerbase will actually see....

Anyways, if this guy is right, it makes the siblings super interesting lore wise. We are some powerful motherfuckers.
Nice. I already knew of the connection, but this goes into a lot more depth with some nice speculation.

BlackM1st

Banned
twins are actually MUCH older than I was led to believe, thanks to flavor text for those fucking PS4 exclusive sword and wings. MiHoYo, WHY would you put something so interesting to lore in gear that less than 1/3 of the playerbase will actually see...
maxresdefault.jpg

As for the story: Mass Effect Re:Birth hah One sibling chose to fight the reapers and the one you control just doesn't give a F about anything and wants only to be reunited again.

BlackM1st

Banned
We are some powerful motherfuckers.
It was known for quite a lot of time. You can stomp any God and even the Unknown God had a tough time fighting you. Unfortunately lore doesn't mean shit from a gameplay perspective. Otherwise we would become a planet rulers in less than the span of 1 patch hah.

Fuz

Banned

Sounds a little forced here and there.

Fuz

Banned
They're way too optimistic if they think they can go on with the game as it is.
There's no meaningful end game, they drip feed resources and content, gacha RNG is horrible, as it is for artifacts. People are in love with Genshin for a variety of reason, one of them being that it's still a relatively new game, but as soon as a decent competitor will rise (and they will rise, now that they smelled the money), players will leave in droves.

10 years. Lol.

Last edited:

Dregnel

yoimiya is the fire type and a combination of hutao and ganyu uncle tieba said, i honestly don't believe these leaks we are not sure until this 25th.

Top Bottom