• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

BlackM1st

Banned
The idea that Genshin Impact could be a “scam” may be rooted in cultural expectations around gaming. While it’s the most downloaded game in the United States as of Sunday, the top four countries by consumer spend are China, Japan, South Korea, and the US, according to App Annie. Last month, Seattle University communications professor Christopher Paul published a book on what he calls a “bias” among Westerners against free-to-play games: Free-to-Play: Mobile Video Games, Bias, and Norms. “I started thinking about why League of Legends, which is a free-to-play game, gets a pass on everything, but these other games don’t,” Paul says.

“I think it comes, in part, from the economic system in which our games have existed for a while,” Paul says, referring to the business model where everybody pays a $60 entry fee for a title. “And I think it's also in part cultural in how we see competition working; I think it's tied to the meritocratic ideal that we should be able to be judged based on our skill rather than what we inherit. And that gacha games are a constant reminder that your skill isn't the only thing that matters. The size of your wallet does, too.” The millennial generation of Western gamers largely grew up on cartridge games, he adds, not arcade games like Gauntlet, in which you’re constantly inserting coins in an effort not to die. Putting out a game like Star Wars Battlefront II, which cost $60 and incentivizes paying more, can start to feel predatory.

In other countries, though, paying for advancement or advantage in a game is perfectly normal, says Florence Chee, a professor at Loyola University’s School of Communication. Concern over gacha mechanics, she says, “is just the latest incarnation of an old debate over legitimate modes of play.” Some of the controversy around Genshin Impact in particular boils down to its Western audience’s lack of familiarity with the business model. “In a way, the Asian audiences may have more of an idea that they are indeed 'gambling,' with all that comes with that. In North America, these activities are usually discussed and regulated separately, and ‘gamers’ and ‘gamblers’ are regarded as separate audiences,” she says. In South Korea, she adds, entertainment statistics don’t count them as separate categories.

“It makes sense that those who are newer to the ins and outs of this model are going to view it with more suspicion—when they may have been completely OK with equally predatory business models in other activities,” Chee says. It helps that in several Asian countries, and China in particular, regulations force developers to disclose the odds of receiving certain in-game items.

From Wired's article on Genshin Impact/ Gacha gaming model. IMO it's a very interesting point about cultural differences affecting people's willingness to accept that some people just buying their success/power.

Pejo

From Wired's article on Genshin Impact/ Gacha gaming model. IMO it's a very interesting point about cultural differences affecting people's willingness to accept that some people just buying their success/power.
Yea that's terrifying honestly. They frame westerners as "you guys just don't get it!" by not buying in wholesale to even more predatory business practices than we already do (like paid online for consoles and cut content DLC). If anything, I'm actually a little proud that we haven't given in and said, "Well that's just how it is". Gambling is not the same as gacha. In gambling, you have an actual chance (no matter how small) to win something tangible. In gacha games, you always lose. Even when you "win" the roll, you are actually just winning the opportunity to pay money for the product. Fucked up, ain't it.

*edit* lol there's no hope for China. Look at this shit. At a KFC for fucks sake.
oun4gzdgktm61.jpg

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Makes sense that it is cultural differences. Also, it simply boils down to: It's your money, your responsibility, use it how you want really. I've played enough of these types of games that Genshin's model wasn't anything new, but it shocked me how much people expected it to play like a Single Player RPG of some sort and were upset otherwise since it seemed clear enough what it was.

Fuz

Banned
"bias" my ass.

Stop trying to normalize this shit.

Dregnel

Makes sense that it is cultural differences. Also, it simply boils down to: It's your money, your responsibility, use it how you want really. I've played enough of these types of games that Genshin's model wasn't anything new, but it shocked me how much people expected it to play like a Single Player RPG of some sort and were upset otherwise since it seemed clear enough what it was.

there is nothing in cultural difference, have you seen the EA numbers with the loot boxes? billions billions!. The Chinese community reviewed bombing the game for the rates too, in fact in the west it is worse because in most games you pay for the game and for the loot boxes.

YukiOnna

No.
Not when preys on users, especially vulnerable ones, with predatory psychological tactics.
Not when those sort of practices hinder good game design and sweep it under the rug of monetization.
When those systems are successful, everybody loses.
I agree with you. I'm more so talking about during when people do actually end up investing and making their purchases yet still complain after the fact. Again, I think Genshin and what MHY positioned this game as was clear from the beginning as unfortunate as it is.

there is nothing in cultural difference, have you seen the EA numbers with the loot boxes? billions billions!. The Chinese community reviewed bombing the game for the rates too, in fact in the west it is worse because in most games you pay for the game and for the loot boxes.
Did gacha mechanics lead to the same monitoring and changes in regulations like it did with EA's fiasco though? Genuine question. I've not seen any action from the former unless I missed it despite all tat where it feels like there's a certain level of acceptance. And yeah, the West also has titles like Fortnite which prey in the same way at children and parents on frequent basis.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

Dregnel

I agree with you. I'm more so talking about during when people do actually end up investing and making their purchases yet still complain after the fact. Again, I think Genshin and what MHY positioned this game as was clear from the beginning as unfortunate as it is.

Did gacha mechanics lead to the same monitoring and changes in regulations like it did with EA's fiasco though? Genuine question. I've not seen any action from the former unless I missed it despite all tat where it feels like there's a certain level of acceptance. And yeah, the West also has titles like Fortnite which prey in the same way at children and parents on frequent basis.
fornite has loot boxes but they got banned in belgium too but what they did was a kind of smart move, you can see what the loot box contains but you don't know what the next loot box contains so it the same because you are still waiting for the "good loot box" and buying over and over, it's the same shit and yeah, epic lost a lawsuit some days ago, nobody is talking about that in press but they gave everyone around 1k vbucks. you can't buy loot boxes in belgium but you can play the game, some games are totally banned in belgium, also in Germany they are regulating them too.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
fornite has loot boxes but they got banned in belgium too but what they did was a kind of smart move, you can see what the loot box contains but you don't know what the next loot box contains so it the same because you are still waiting for the "good loot box" and buying over and over, it's the same shit and yeah, epic lost a lawsuit some days ago, nobody is talking about that in press but they gave everyone around 1k vbucks. you can't buy loot boxes in belgium but you can play the game, some games are totally banned in belgium, also in Germany they are regulating them too.
Still waiting for the rest of the world to follow through.

Dregnel

What I think is that all gacha games must say the probability of obtaining said object / character in the image without having to navigate through the menus, also without confusing the player who is said element, but that way they sell more.

for example in honkai impact in December they put a banner of weapons where it says that every 10 pulls they give you a "xmas box" but they do not tell you that it really is the box so people go and throw their real money to get the supposed boxes but not really these are boxes they show in their advertising:

but when you go desperate to pull... those are not the xmas boxes and you do not navigate in the menus to know how it works they steal your money because the xmas boxes are not weapons, it's another shit that gives you cookies and those cookies are fucking stamina? bruh.

g58zpxz.png

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
And yeah, the West also has titles like Fortnite which prey in the same way at children and parents on frequent basis.
Guy in the article mentions how people in the West are more accepting towards gambling for cosmetics, but not for buying unfair advantage. In the East anything goes and people accept that it's ok to pay to win if you have more money than skill. That's why for us it's beyond our comprehension who would want to "compete" in games where you can outright buy your rank with money.For us paying to win is something to be ashamed of/admitting your lack of skill, for them it's about proving their net worth.

For those who plan to get Rosaria, what is your plan for avoiding Childe pity? Get Hu Tao first, and then save pulls after that? Get Venti first and save pulls after that? Did you stop pulling after your last five star, so you feel fairly safe in avoiding Childe? It's interesting how this game somewhat incentivizes you to reset your pity before a four star release. That's kind of where I am, and if I keep playing this game for the next several months, I doubt it'll be the last time.

BlackM1st

Banned
I would prefer him to Hu Tao. So I would pull normally. Venti? Hm... I dunno. He's definitely stronger than either of them, so maybe I would've pull on him first. Either way, no 4☆ worth of my wishes. Shit is too fucking expensive. Abyss spiral demands a lot of strong heroes and I have no intention to waste my resources on 4☆ while I'm already waiting for 2 5☆. Even 1 5☆ is expensive, let alone 2 5☆. I have a lot of work with my current roster so I'm in no rush.

It's interesting how this game somewhat incentivizes you to reset your pity before a four star release.
"Interesting"

Pejo

For those who plan to get Rosaria, what is your plan for avoiding Childe pity? Get Hu Tao first, and then save pulls after that? Get Venti first and save pulls after that? Did you stop pulling after your last five star, so you feel fairly safe in avoiding Childe? It's interesting how this game somewhat incentivizes you to reset your pity before a four star release. That's kind of where I am, and if I keep playing this game for the next several months, I doubt it'll be the last time.
I actually want Childe constellations so I'm golden either way. I pretty much can't go wrong on this banner provided I get at least 1 Rosaria (hopefully 3 though).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

There is no plan. I plan to C6 Rosaria with refund money that was to be used for a xmas gift to myself but the product in question(Pyra Good Smile figure) was delayed and I was instead refunded.

If anything I might get lucky and pull a Jean.

All the other 5 stars aren't worth pulling for.

4 star pulls are guaranteed at least between every 10 pulls so the idea of resetting your pity when 4* and 5* pity rates are separate is a stupid question to ask.

Last edited:
4 star pulls are guaranteed at least between every 10 pulls so the idea of resetting your pity when 4* and 5* pity rates are separate is a stupid question to ask.
If you're at 55 pulls from your last five star, you're just two 10 pulls away from soft pity, which dramatically increases your chance of a five star. You're also four 10 pulls away from hard pity. If you go into the Rosaria banner hoping to avoid getting Childe, that would be much easier at 10 pulls from your last five star, rather than 65 pulls from your last five star. Does that make sense now?

The pity rates are separate, but if you ONLY want the new four star, then you really don't want to be anywhere near the five star pity going into the banner.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Afraid I don't get it or care. Won't bother me much. Pretty sure last pull on the Character banner I had was the C1 Ganyu.

Haven't pulled since.

Completely skipped Luigi, Kitkat and Funeral girl.

YukiOnna

Man if only the characters had as much development and personality in the game as they do in web events, fan art, and twitter posts...
Really wish some of the stuff they tweet out or create was actually content in the game, lol. Would be small but add so much personality.

Dregnel

Before i go and try Abyss 10+, any tips or good comps for those floors?

01.jpg
xiangling and amber to lv 80 and +16 artifacts before trying, the shields are easy to break at any lv but you can die easily trying, you are fighting against cryo mages you need at least one on each team, lv 70 xiangling is enough but guoba is kinda silly.

Pejo

News is up.

*edit* - and patch notes

● Other

Adjusts the appearance of Rosaria.

Fixes an issue whereby some characters who have not hit a target with an attack can jump while returning to a standby pose and thus perform a Plunging Attack.

*Additional Note: We are paying close attention to the possible impact of other operations that can produce the same effect. If we have plans to change them in the future, we will announce that as soon as possible.
Well, that's confirmed then. Boobage and Diluc's "Dragonstrike" tech are no more.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned

This was an interesting video. I always appreciate people diving into the math of this game.

Yeah, it's absurd how HE is voiced by a girl who doesn't even change her original voice when she's voicing him xD Seriously though, he's ridiculously strong. I hope we will get another anemo 5☆ with a comparable CC.

Top Bottom