• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gematsu: Silent Hill is being developed by Kojima Productions with Sony funding

xiskza

I'm so tired of the SH rumors but I do hope this is true. Easily one of my favorite franchises of all time. If its not KP, I hope it's another quality studio doing a new SH game or a remake.

Dr Bass

I'm so tired of the SH rumors but I do hope this is true. Easily one of my favorite franchises of all time. If its not KP, I hope it's another quality studio doing a new SH game or a remake.
I worry a new game is just not going to have much to add to the "mythos." I mean even 3 and 4 are sketch compared to the first 2 in that regard. IMO, of course.

The games should be preserved as originally made, but I am not sure we need a new one. You can never recapture the feeling of Silent Hill when it was fresh IMO. It's just not that kind of series that multiple entries are needed.

yurinka

How can you be in such denial. The person from VGC was even tweeting that while they have heard about another prominent Japanese developer, he has no reason to doubt the Gematsu information, since he knows that Sal from Gematsu is a very good journalist. It is possible that there are more than 2 Silent Hill games are in the works.
Because I don't believe random fake rumors from internet specially when facts say they are bullshit.

Sony has no reason to develop a small multiplatform 3rd party IP for another publisher when they have other, more valuable IPs and using their own IPs they get the full revenue from the games. And these Japan Studio team members were being (and now are) fired and the studio was being restructured. And now these guys are working on another game that isn't Silent Hill. So no, Japan Studio wasn't and isn't (rebranded as Team Asobi) working on it.

Kojima very likely is still angry with them after being humilliated by them and has been and is busy with other projects, so he wasn't (and if as Reedus said they're starting to work in the Death Stranding sequel) isn't working on Silent Hill. He was tired of being milked with the same and wanted to make something new. Sony funded him a bizarre AAA new IP with full creative freedom to put there all the weird ideas he wanted. The game got great reviews and is on track of becoming his best selling game ever. He's getting old and very likely will retire after two or three games more. So I highly doubt he would want to go back to have headaches with Konami.

No one is denying that bloober is working on a silent hill game, but it would be too early to announce it as it’s probably in early development and can’t therefore bebte game Yamaoka-san was teasing.
I agree

LOL and why shouldn’t they allow two or more companies allow them to make games. They are just lending out the IP, they are not funding / developing it, so it’s no Risk for them with a guaranteed profit. If there are 10 interested parties they would probably lend it to 10 companies….
Publishers fund their games and market them. They hire external dev studios to develop games for them. AAA are very expensive and risky, specially when aren't big sellers. And Silent Hill never have been a big seller. Konami quitted from AAA games for something.

It's rare to see them making another Silent Hill, probably will make an AA game with Blober. I highly doubt they would be making a 2nd Silent Hill at the same time unless it's a remaster/mobile game/etc., something small.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

And these Japan Studio team members were being (and now are) fired and the studio was being restructured.
They actually left Japan studio months before it’s closure. Them choosing to leave is likely why it closed.

Because I don't believe random fake rumors from internet specially when facts say they are bullshit.
Sorry, but where are the facts / proof that it is not real? The rumor about Kojima working on it is coming from Gematsu, I don't know what you know about them, but they don't post random rumors, they only post if they have trustworthy sources. Even the journalist from VGS said in a tweet, that he does not have this information, but can vouch for Sal being a great journalist and even saying that he has no reason to doubt this information. Sorry, but perhaps I missed something and you are an industry insider who knows better.

Sony has no reason to develop a small multiplatform 3rd party IP for another publisher when they have other, more valuable IPs and using their own IPs they get the full revenue from the games. And these Japan Studio team members were being (and now are) fired and the studio was being restructured. And now these guys are working on another game that isn't Silent Hill. So no, Japan Studio wasn't and isn't (rebranded as Team Asobi) working on it.
I think you underestimate the value of the Silent Hill brand and its value. I must assume that you are a younger player who didn't grew up with the games, but me and a lot of other people really want a new Silent Hill game. Especially in this case we are talking about Kojima making a Silent Hill game, which is for many a dream come true, because even if it was just a demo, PT is perhaps the best horror game ever created.

Kojima very likely is still angry with them after being humilliated by them and has been and is busy with other projects, so he wasn't (and if as Reedus said they're starting to work in the Death Stranding sequel) isn't working on Silent Hill. He was tired of being milked with the same and wanted to make something new. Sony funded him a bizarre AAA new IP with full creative freedom to put there all the weird ideas he wanted. The game got great reviews and is on track of becoming his best selling game ever. He's getting old and very likely will retire after two or three games more. So I highly doubt he would want to go back to have headaches with Konami.
Different sources say, they are on speaking terms again. And I mentioned it multiple times, there is even proof for that by the fact that not such a long time ago, they started to follow each other again on twitter. Why would they suddenly start to follow each other again, if the situation has not changed. Also why should Kojima be angry exactly, leaving Konami was the best thing ever happened to him. He has his own independent studio and is approach by both Sony and Microsoft to make games for them. Reedus said they are talking about making a sequel, what do you think they did since 2019? Do you really think the whole team worked full time on the Directors Cut?

Publishers fund their games and market them. They hire external dev studios to develop games for them. AAA are very expensive and risky, specially when aren't big sellers. And Silent Hill never have been a big seller. Konami quitted from AAA games for something.

It's rare to see them making another Silent Hill, probably will make an AA game with Blober. I highly doubt they would be making a 2nd Silent Hill at the same time unless it's a remaster/mobile game/etc., something small.
No, in many cases lending a IP means no work, publishing etc for them. They just get paid for using the IP. In this particular case, I am sure Sony would publish the game, since they also are said to have funded it.
And again, I think you underestimate the Silent Hill name. It may not be a big IP for younger players, but it is for sure for Generation X players like me and there are a lot of us.

yurinka

Sorry, but where are the facts / proof that it is not real?
The ones who claim the rumor are the ones who have to provide facts. For what we know from Sony, Japan Studio and Kojipro it's super hard to believe they could be involved and pretty likely aren't involved because each one for diverse reasons wouldn't want to work with it and if it would be the case they wouldn't have resources because they've been busy with other things.

The rumor about Kojima working on it is coming from Gematsu, I don't know what you know about them, but they don't post random rumors, they only post if they have trustworthy sources.
I know Gematsu and VGC. Gematsu typically is serious, but both post random or inaccurate rumors. As an example, VGC saying Sony shut down Japan Studios.

I think you underestimate the value of the Silent Hill brand and its value.
No, I don't. The entire series combined may have sold around 10M copies. Today Sony sells that with a single AAA game.

Especially in this case we are talking about Kojima making a Silent Hill game, which is for many a dream come true, because even if it was just a demo, PT is perhaps the best horror game ever created.
I loved PT and I'd love Kojima to make Silent Hills. But it doesn't make more likely to happen.

Also why should Kojima be angry exactly, leaving Konami was the best thing ever happened to him.
They cancelled his game, fired him and most of his team. There are leaked real horror stories of Konami employees (not specially from Kojima or his team, in general) getting severe bullying from their management.

He has his own independent studio and is approach by both Sony and Microsoft to make games for them. Reedus said they are talking about making a sequel, what do you think they did since 2019? Do you really think the whole team worked full time on the Directors Cut?
Since 2019 they did the PC port and Director's Cut, and obviously preproduction of their next game that according to Reedus is the Death Stranding sequel. According to Kojima their productivity was severely impacted by the covid pandemic. Other Japanese studios mentioned the same. Probably is because for them to work from home is very difficult because their typical houses are very small and typically don't have a proper office/desktop there.

And again, I think you underestimate the Silent Hill name. It may not be a big IP for younger players, but it is for sure for Generation X players like me and there are a lot of us.
The maximum a Silent Hill sold may be around 1 million or 2. Funded and published by Sony, and developed by Kojima would sell more. But same goes with making this same game but not calling it Silent Hill so not giving Konami their revenue share. The extra sales that using the Silent Hill would add would mean way less revenue than the one Konami would ask for it. It wouldn't be a good business for Sony.

Last edited:

yurinka

They actually left Japan studio months before it’s closure. Them choosing to leave is likely why it closed.

They didn't close Japan Studio. Japan Studios continues developing internal games rebranded as Team Asobi and their XDEV Japanese team continues publishing games like Death Stranding Director's Cut but now being a separate team from Japan Studio, now they report directly to XDEV.

But yes, these guys left before the restructuring. And no, a studio isn't restructured because 3 guys leave or get fired. Sony restructured them very likely because the studio never produced a hit after several decades and dozens of games and some of their project were a money sink. So they decided to cut the fat moving the XDEV team away from Japan Studio to put it directly under XDEV's umbrella, to changer their leadership and fire/don't renew/let people go many people they considered. The remaining devs got merged into one of their internal teams to grow it, Team Asobi. And since now it's their only team also rebranded the studio to Team Asobi. After the restructuring they are now hiring in many positions to grow both Team Asobi and their XDEV Japanese team.

Terenty

Does it even make sense that there are now apparently three Silent Hill games in development all of a sudden?

One from Bloober and two from two prominent Japanese devs? That just reads like some fanboy fever dream.

And yes, where would Kojipro with their small team find a time during Covid to work first on the PC port, then on DC and at the same time on a Silent Hill game? Shit doesn't add up

KRYPT83

Sorry, but where are the facts / proof that it is not real? The rumor about Kojima working on it is coming from Gematsu, I don't know what you know about them, but they don't post random rumors, they only post if they have trustworthy sources. Even the journalist from VGS said in a tweet, that he does not have this information, but can vouch for Sal being a great journalist and even saying that he has no reason to doubt this information. Sorry, but perhaps I missed something and you are an industry insider who knows better.

I think you underestimate the value of the Silent Hill brand and its value. I must assume that you are a younger player who didn't grew up with the games, but me and a lot of other people really want a new Silent Hill game. Especially in this case we are talking about Kojima making a Silent Hill game, which is for many a dream come true, because even if it was just a demo, PT is perhaps the best horror game ever created.

Different sources say, they are on speaking terms again. And I mentioned it multiple times, there is even proof for that by the fact that not such a long time ago, they started to follow each other again on twitter. Why would they suddenly start to follow each other again, if the situation has not changed. Also why should Kojima be angry exactly, leaving Konami was the best thing ever happened to him. He has his own independent studio and is approach by both Sony and Microsoft to make games for them. Reedus said they are talking about making a sequel, what do you think they did since 2019? Do you really think the whole team worked full time on the Directors Cut?

No, in many cases lending a IP means no work, publishing etc for them. They just get paid for using the IP. In this particular case, I am sure Sony would publish the game, since they also are said to have funded it.
Silent Hill is a trash IP ( 1 was good 2 was decent all trash after) that's the reason it's been dead for so long.. Kojima is not working on SH 2 teams are blooper and a unnamed Japanese studio. Kojima is forsure making a game for xbox I will not rule out him making a game for Sony aswell. If he makes a horror game it will be new IP. Kojima is done making other people's IP relevant

Terenty

Why would Kojima even want to work on a Silent Hill game if there's another two Silent Hill games in development at the same time?

Doesn't make sense from a financial point of view

bitbydeath

They didn't close Japan Studio. Japan Studios continues developing internal games rebranded as Team Asobi and their XDEV Japanese team continues publishing games like Death Stranding Director's Cut but now being a separate team from Japan Studio, now they report directly to XDEV.

But yes, these guys left before the restructuring. And no, a studio isn't restructured because 3 guys leave or get fired. Sony restructured them very likely because the studio never produced a hit after several decades and dozens of games and some of their project were a money sink. So they decided to cut the fat moving the XDEV team away from Japan Studio to put it directly under XDEV's umbrella, to changer their leadership and fire/don't renew/let people go many people they considered. The remaining devs got merged into one of their internal teams to grow it, Team Asobi. And since now it's their only team also rebranded the studio to Team Asobi. After the restructuring they are now hiring in many positions to grow both Team Asobi and their XDEV Japanese team.
Those three were pivotal to Sony Japan. They aren’t just three randoms and likely more lesser known staff went with them.

Bartski

Gold Member
I think davidjaffe davidjaffe has a point. Why do Silent Hill with Kojima if they could make a new and possibly BETTER horror IP with del Toro based on the PT concept, rather than investing in somebody else's IP?
Unless Konami would be willing to sell it 100% to Sony, press x to doubt.

Didn't Kojima say he wanted to work with Keanu Reeves in the past? Just watch.... Mads for Dr. Kaufman!!
iu

Last edited:
Why would Kojima even want to work on a Silent Hill game if there's another two Silent Hill games in development at the same time?
We don’t know what these Games are, it’s possible the Kojima one is a reimagining and the others a remaster or remake and a VR game. All could be very different.

ethomaz

Banned

Doesn't make sense from a financial point of view
Because only the Kojima one is new.

The others two are the remasters and the VR.

Top Bottom