• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Terminator Crossover Features Linda Hamilton As Sarah Connor.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During our E3 2019 Gears 5 Stage Show, GameSpot video producers Mike Mahardy and Lucy James asked The Coalition studio head Rod Fergusson about the crossover. The rest of the interview covers the new Escape mode and how Gears 5 changes the traditional Gears of War formula.

"It was just one of those things where we've always been fans of the Terminator franchise and we're here coming back with James Cameron and Linda Hamilton and we're just very excited," Fergusson said. "When you look at Sarah Connor as a character, she really resonates with us in terms of how we're telling Kait's story. Kait went from this outsider civilian into this warrior who's trying to save humanity. It's kind of the same story for Sarah Connor. And so this idea of bringing these two franchises together in a really cool way is exciting to us."

In Gears 5, Sarah will be voiced by the actress behind the original character. "Linda is actually going to do the voice of Sarah Connor," Fergusson said. To play as Connor or the Terminator, you must either pre-order Gears 5 or buy and play the game within the first week of its launch. Of course, that means if you're a Game Pass subscriber, you qualify without having to buy the game. Just remember to download Gears 5 within the first week of its release.

God damn this game presses my buttons in a way the previous series entries never did. Really can't justify getting an xbox or new PC/laptop just for this though.

Damned cool though, seems madness not to have had it on stage at the conference.

And yeah, I'd also only ever get MS games on gampepass now for a single month just to finish it. It's the low price low value trap the app store created for mobile games all over again.

nikolino840

He made a good point though

Why would anyone buy a game full price knowing they can get it cheaper with gamepass
I don't know,i don't even buy games at day One becouse i'm poor :D

So...you look the price when you do shops at supermarket? You buy products with the highest price becouse quality=price?

tryDEATH

Why would anyone buy a game full price knowing they can get it cheaper with gamepass

For a single player games maybe, but both Gears 5 and Halo are MP games in which people spend 100's of hours in. One of the main reasons why it isn't worth for Sony to have a gamepass like service that has same day release on subscription.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
For a single player games maybe, but both Gears 5 and Halo are MP games in which people spend 100's of hours in. One of the main reasons why it isn't worth for Sony to have a gamepass like service that has same day release on subscription.

Exactly. If you like it, you may play it for 2-3 years. I got the Ultimate edition of Forza Horizon 4 even though I have a Game Pass sub because I knew I'd play it for years and wanted the expansions and car pass. I don't know if I'll have the GamePass sub thatlong.

Sacred

God damn this game presses my buttons in a way the previous series entries never did. Really can't justify getting an xbox or new PC/laptop just for this though.

Damned cool though, seems madness not to have had it on stage at the conference.

And yeah, I'd also only ever get MS games on gampepass now for a single month just to finish it. It's the low price low value trap the app store created for mobile games all over again.

Not really you can upgrade your subscription from Gold to Ultimate for $1 and it gives you ultimate till your gold subscription runs out free of charge.

Doesn't it dumb down Gears to include Terminator? This is exactly the type of crossover stuff(Alien vs Predator) that gets ridiculed by respectable people.

Game pass degrades the value of the game. Halo and Gears are 1$ worth franchise now. Sony exclusives are premium games at premium price of 60$.

It's good for consumers but value of Xbox games even the good ones has gone to dirt

Nope, you miss the point. Game Pass becomes invaluable by having Halo/Gears/Forza in it. Otherwise it's more of an Indie Game Pass and would be ridiculed by Sony. The age of $60 game purchases is coming to a close!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honestly a kickass crossover. I'd rather the gears team just make a full terminator game really.

Also really neat that gamepass players get it free.

Last edited:
So get it on gamepass to see if you like it, by the time it comes to be removed from gamepass the game will be much cheaper than day one price.

No reason at all to buy a game day one from Microsoft. None.

Journey

Banned

You're right, Gamepass is an amazing deal and the smarter way to play games, but I disagree that it degrades the value of anything. If Gears reviews like a AAA game, plays like a AAA game, then it's valued as a AAA game.

Someone gifted Uncharted to me, that doesn't mean I value it as $0 dollars LMAO!

she died of cancer in 3
i still don't get this

nor am i up to par in terminator lore.

is 4 and 5 basically bull ?

Dark Dawn (the new film coming out), is after Terminator 2.

3, Salvation and Genysis are non-canon now (although Genysis is more of an Alternative Universe that I really enjoyed)

3 basically says that 2 only postponed Judgement Day (the day Civilization collapses under Skynet), Salvation is post-Skynet dominance with John Connor fighting back (I would say after sending Arnie back in time for 2), and Genysis is a collosal Alternative Universe mess where they try to prevent Skynet from creating Judgement Day in 2017 (which is weird since it was supposed to happen in 1997 in 2, and 2007 in 3.....the series itself states it happens in 2015....)

Genysis is weird as there is a Terminator (Arnie as "Pops"), who is untraceable by Skynet under an entirely unknown third party (never explained), and basically kills off the First Terminator quickly in 1 (since Kyle Reese never saved her and....they don't get on). John Connor is the bad guy because Skynet changed him into one of "Them" to prevent its own Death. Multiple Terminators appear in Genysis including the T-1000 (too bad the original actor didn't reprise his role) as well as Pops being upgraded into a T1000 because "reasons".

Yeah...I am a huge Terminator Fanboy.

As for Gears 5...please let us play the T-700 (Terminator 2) with the Arnie Skin! Sarah Connor would be amazing as well if she really is in. Perhaps a John Connor post-Skynet too.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

So get it on gamepass to see if you like it, by the time it comes to be removed from gamepass the game will be much cheaper than day one price.

No reason at all to buy a game day one from Microsoft. None.

1st Party games won't be removed from Gamepass period. Its a rental service as some have said, but that doesn't mean people won't buy it. Blockbuster and Netflix exist/ed, because studio;s still get a cut from those rental services and their happy with that, I would assume that's the case with developers as well.

I will enjoy it for as long as I can, I don't really care how MS makes their money. You rarely get this good of a deal in entrtainment bar maybe the movie pass when it just started felt like thieft when I used it as it was dirt cheap unfortunately they went under.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Guys I had Mario maker bought for me, does that mean it’s shit and garbage because i didn’t pay or is it still a fucking incredible game I couldn’t put down for 6 hours?! Somebody help!

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Cant we just have a proper Terminator game for christ sake? And while we're at it..

Aliens (on their own..)
Predator (on his own..)
And The thing..

C'mon, dammit.
An Overwatch event made me realize Terminator would work great as a Left 4 Dead kind of co-op game. Working together to survive the various terminator models trying to kill you. Turtle Rock Studios read this idea and get on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

T-Cake

Yeah, I saw this yesterday when I went on a Google search about the new James Cameron Terminator film which she and Arnie are both in. So cool!

Ol'Scratch

An Overwatch event made me realize Terminator would work great as a Left 4 Dead kind of co-op game. Working together to survive the various terminator models trying to kill you. Turtle Rock Studios read this idea and get on it.
Honestly a Terminator game using the same concept as Friday the 13th but instead of a camp and woods be in a city. Could be fantastic.
One player is the Terminator, four other players are the survivors.

Last edited:
1st Party games won't be removed from Gamepass period. Its a rental service as some have said, but that doesn't mean people won't buy it. Blockbuster and Netflix exist/ed, because studio;s still get a cut from those rental services and their happy with that, I would assume that's the case with developers as well.

I will enjoy it for as long as I can, I don't really care how MS makes their money. You rarely get this good of a deal in entrtainment bar maybe the movie pass when it just started felt like thieft when I used it as it was dirt cheap unfortunately they went under.

you seriously think that there're people who watch a movie on netflix, & then run out the next day & buy a copy of it?...

also, movie pass 'unfortunately went under' for a very simple reason: the business model wasn't profitable...

the only way a rental service can work is if it attracts enough subscribers, & doesn't go too far into the the hole while attempting to do so. i'd say, a little over 2 years in, the jury's still out on gamepass...

Elenchus

Banned

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
G
you seriously think that there're people who watch a movie on netflix, & then run out the next day & buy a copy of it?...

also, movie pass 'unfortunately went under' for a very simple reason: the business model wasn't profitable...

the only way a rental service can work is if it attracts enough subscribers, & doesn't go too far into the the hole while attempting to do so. i'd say, a little over 2 years in, the jury's still out on gamepass...
Gamepass is the future and is here to stay, you’d be crazy to think otherwise! Next gen with gamepass will be so good, especially at launch!

Top Bottom