• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 |OT| Rev Up The Lancers, Its Showtime!

TrainedRage

Banned
Leveling up individual characters instead of classes is way, way too much of a grind. Gears 4 had a much better system for Horde and cosmetics. This kinda sucks in comparison if I'm honest and I was hugely looking forward to it.
I think it adds more replay ability. Like I only lvled up Jack. Now I'm kinda bored of him. So now I get a chance to earn more cards and gear for my other players...

If all of them leveled up with my 16 Jack. I would not bother even playing them. I like the grind, I like earning things and feeling the progression.

Working on Kat and other Halo guy now. I think this may be the most I have played of horde on any Gears game.

They just need more maps and more supplies to choose to build with. Give us gun towers. Mortars. Blades traps. Tar traps. More environmental interactions.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Are people already abandoning ship? Been playing social quickplay (EU) for +1h now, and I don't believe we've had full teams for whole game yet. Last couple of rounds we were no more than 5 peeps. And yes, I've been through multiple lobbies.

Mista

Banned
Are people already abandoning ship? Been playing social quickplay (EU) for +1h now, and I don't believe we've had full teams for whole game yet. Last couple of rounds we were no more than 5 peeps. And yes, I've been through multiple lobbies.
Not at all. I’ve been playing for 5 hours straight and I’m getting into matches quick. Ranked playlist so I’m sure quickplay got more

Lupin3

Not at all. I’ve been playing for 5 hours straight and I’m getting into matches quick. Ranked playlist so I’m sure quickplay got more

Yeah, sure! I'm getting into matches quickly as well, but the player count is missing.

This was the first game I downloaded with my recent Xbox Ultimate Game Pass subscription, it ain't too bad to me. It still has touches to it that make it feel like Gears games to me, while feeling modern as well.

J-Roderton

Horde isn't bad. Finally got around to playing it and cleared 50 waves on beginner pretty easily. Even with two bots. It's nice that everyone can pick up power now.

II_JumPeR_I

Wouldnt be surprised.. i dont think the Gears PvP is something most players care about these days with so many more options to choose from.

Anybody have any recommendations on what to spend components on first? I hate playing a game where I spend point in one area only to realize later those points would have been better off spent on something else (but by then it's too late). I've got just over 20 so far and havent used them yet. Should I wait until a better ability to spend them on or just go ahead dump them into jack?

Last edited:

njean777

How do I earn iron in this game? I've had 500 forever

The only way you can earn Iron as of now without buying it is basically completing the Tour Of Duty, its a long grind also. You get 500 for getting to the 2nd to last level. Other than that you have to buy iron.

A lot of people are upset at the game and are waiting for fixes. Bullet magnetism (big issue), Flashbangs in ranked, Lancer spam in ranked, too many camping spots in the maps. The list goes on.

Last edited:
Anybody have any recommendations on what to spend components on first? I hate playing a game where I spend point in one area only to realize later those points would have been better off spent on something else (but by then it's too late). I've got just over 20 so far and havent used them yet. Should I wait until a better ability to spend them on or just go ahead dump them into jack?

You can respec at any time. I really loved the flash ability once you get the quest reward for it's ultimate. It's the best CC ability in the game hands down.

Armor boost is incredibly useful even until late game, you can even use it to revive yourself when down. I also recommend upgrading his lightning shock ability because once it's fully upgraded it can chain to other enemies which makes it's stagger really good vs groups.

You can respec at any time. I really loved the flash ability once you get the quest reward for it's ultimate. It's the best CC ability in the game hands down.

Armor boost is incredibly useful even until late game, you can even use it to revive yourself when down. I also recommend upgrading his lightning shock ability because once it's fully upgraded it can chain to other enemies which makes it's stagger really good vs groups.
Thanks I had no idea you could Respec at any time. That takes the pressure off so that I can experiment.

Lupin3

A lot of people are upset at the game and are waiting for fixes. Bullet magnetism (big issue), Flashbangs in ranked, Lancer spam in ranked, too many camping spots in the maps. The list goes on.

Indeed. I'm one of them, but mostly for the disgusting store and lack of customization for existing characters/weapons. Really turned me off. Haven't touched the game for a week now, but might go a few rounds tonight. We'll see...

Might just go back to Gears 4, and I would def. try out Gears 3 again if only there was a somewhat healthy player base left.

Still on Act II, mostly got side content done tonight. Played multiplayer and honestly it seems much improved over prior entries. I do think the skull system is odd, it sometimes allows people with amazing aim with the long shot to basically never lose the gun and it can become a "i peaked now I'm dead" festival. The escape mode is really neat and surprisingly an actual challenge even on beginner difficulty.

Haven't touched multiplayer yet. Spent last night getting through more of the game. Finished act 2 as well and finished one side quest in act 3. The end of act 2 is pretty cool and I enjoyed it. One thing that I didn't think I would have an opinion on but do is the skiff. That thing is hella enjoyable to drive around. I spent more time looking for secrets just so I could keep riding around in it.

Apologies if this has already been brought up in this thread, but have just run into my first real problem with Gears 5.

Act 3, and the game starts to lag and chug till it stops, and the entire computer freezes.

Managed to get it to happen with task manager open on another screen - the culprit was "Service Host: Web account manager".

Gears 5 will spawn this process when you start gameplay after loading a save, so the only solution I've found has been to use task manager to kill the process immediately after starting and before it completely cripples my machine. Goes back to normal after killing Web Account Manager.

Worth a shot if you're having problems. Frikkin' web connectivity account bollocks!

I'm still in Act 3 but finally got my hijack ultimate upgrade. Ran out of time so I'll have to mess around with it later. Been toying with the different abilities and I like using stealth the most. I use stem mainly to revive downed teammates. Hijack can be helpful but depends on the situation. I never touch the flash ability and I don't like barrier but that may change once I finally get its ultimate. I must say I'm really enjoying the campaign. Im getting through rather slowly though because I'm obsessed with trying to find as many components as I can. I found the claw relic and have been using it as my default weapon when I have nothing better to use. Yes yes I'm having fun 😁

jaysius

Banned
I wanted to love this game so much, I really did, I love the series so much. 4 was a bit of a down turn for me though, some crappy new enemies like the thing that eats a teammate and is really annoying to kill was introduced.

I play the campaigns solo, this one has the worse AI and the AI is put into situations it doesn't understand, like the act 2 boss... oh boy. Also the breaking ice mechanic is GREAT, but the AI wasn't instructed how it works, this leads to furstration at one or two encounters where it's faster to sink baddies into ice than take them out.
Act 3 had so many annoying parts too.
Act 4 on my Xbox One OLD is barely working at parts, missing AI, awful framerate.

This game is a train wreck, I wanted to love it, but the braindead AI is inexcusable. It's all just awful. I haven't touched the muliplayer yet, I'll get around to it, but they really destroyed the single player campaign, with the braindead AI they're really forcing you to use humans to complete the campaign.

dorkimoe

Just have to say I am loving the multiplayer in this, the arcade mode is such a blast. I however do not understand peoples obsession with crossplay, I am awful on xbox but decent on pc, the aiming obviously is so much easier, I dont get why people would want to play at a disadvantage.

Havoc2049

I finished the Gears 5 campaign on Experienced difficulty and co-op. Both my buddy and I agreed that this is the weakest campaign in the Gears series.

Gears has always felt like driving a big boat 1977 Cadillac. Gears always has felt a bit tanky, with too many in-game actions performed by the same button press, but it has always been a blast to play. Gears 5 is the most frustrating, glitchy and bug filled Gears campaign yet. I would downgrade Gears 5 to a 1977 Oldsmobile. The walking simulator parts feel soulless and get boring quick. The level design is the weakest yet. Too much of; walking simulator, "Here help me lift this/open this", clear one big room or open area, cut scene, rinse and repeat. Being a passenger on the skiff is boring and the map marker is pretty useless, as the maps aren't that big or complicated. A chain gun on the skiff with enemies chasing you around the map would have been much more fun. The open areas feel lifeless. There was only one cool short vehicle section and the other vehicle sections felt like loading screens, where you didn't need to do anything. Nothing like the fun motorcycle section in Gears 4 or the mine car rides in Gears 2.

All the PC tropes stuff with the characters you can see coming from a mile away and it feels forced and boring, and isn't relevant to the story. Just a boxed checked on an Excel spreedsheet.

All the multiplayer modes feel solid and are enjoyable. I'm not a hardcore Gears multiplayer fanatic though, so maybe there are some problems in that area as well.

Overall, Gears 5 isn't a bad game, but from me, it gets a 7/10.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Yo, I just got the game from my bro as a belated birthday present. I asked for it myself since it looked like a lot of fun. However, I got instantly disappointed when I started the game and found out that it has a MASSIVE amount of input lag. The input lag is so atrocious, it feels like I am playing the game on some 1st gen HDTV without game settings. I cannot for the love of God hit anything under these conditions. Even if the enemy is moving getting my cross-hairs on it is really hard since the reticule keeps jumping around. At first I thought it was my TV so I put Halo in and it was completely fine, no input lag whatsoever, but Gears 5 is borderline unplayable for me. I looked around the web and some recommended the single stick movement settings but it didn't help me at all. I tried fiddling with deadzones which improved it a little bit but it is still intolerable. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? No other Gears of War games does it for me. I recently got myself Gears 4 and it played totally fine and I really enjoyed it but this is just insane levels of frustration and I am about 30 minutes into the game.

I finished the Gears 5 campaign on Experienced difficulty and co-op. Both my buddy and I agreed that this is the weakest campaign in the Gears series.

Gears has always felt like driving a big boat 1977 Cadillac. Gears always has felt a bit tanky, with too many in-game actions performed by the same button press, but it has always been a blast to play. Gears 5 is the most frustrating, glitchy and bug filled Gears campaign yet. I would downgrade Gears 5 to a 1977 Oldsmobile. The walking simulator parts feel soulless and get boring quick. The level design is the weakest yet. Too much of; walking simulator, "Here help me lift this/open this", clear one big room or open area, cut scene, rinse and repeat. Being a passenger on the skiff is boring and the map marker is pretty useless, as the maps aren't that big or complicated. A chain gun on the skiff with enemies chasing you around the map would have been much more fun. The open areas feel lifeless. There was only one cool short vehicle section and the other vehicle sections felt like loading screens, where you didn't need to do anything. Nothing like the fun motorcycle section in Gears 4 or the mine car rides in Gears 2.

All the PC tropes stuff with the characters you can see coming from a mile away and it feels forced and boring, and isn't relevant to the story. Just a boxed checked on an Excel spreedsheet.

All the multiplayer modes feel solid and are enjoyable. I'm not a hardcore Gears multiplayer fanatic though, so maybe there are some problems in that area as well.

Overall, Gears 5 isn't a bad game, but from me, it gets a 7/10.
I can definitely see where the skiff sections of the game would be boring for whoever is riding along. As far as the story goes, Gears 5 is actually the first Gears campaign I've ever played. So, i don't really have strong opinions one way or the other as far as the story is concerned. I'll come back and post thoughts once I'm finished. Still in Act 3 Chapter 2 right now.

Grinchy

Banned
The first couple hours or so were kinda on the boring side, but I think it gets way better after that. It's already way better than Gears 4, that's for sure.

Most of the guns are drastically improved in how they feel and how effective they are, the enemy encounters seem to be better laid out, and they even managed to leave ammo around on the harder difficulty so you can mostly use whatever guns you like. I'll never understand the horrible choices they made in 4, but that's another thread.

Tiamat2san

Operation is in December
It will have new maps.
I hope there will be at least 6.
If it’s less it won’t be enough.
I only play horde in multiplayer, we need more maps!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Can anyone tell me how to change skins and use "mutators" in campaign mode?
I just want to play the story as a cool looking monster.

Tiamat2san

Can anyone tell me how to change skins and use "mutators" in campaign mode?
I just want to play the story as a cool looking monster.
There’s a mutator section in the lobby before you launch your campaign.
You can choose various mutators, if you want your MP skins, there’s an option to play as a vermin character.

i was playing in new game +.

try the mouth voiced gun sound....it is hilarious (for a short period)

on series X, the game is just glorious.
Textures but more importantly reflections and lighting.

Top Bottom